Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need help making a sniper rifle for sorties

(NSW)BlaineKodos

Question

I'm really not a good sniper in video games. I tend to be more of a mid to close range person, so most of the sniper rifles in Warframe are one-and-done for me. That said, today's sortie assassination for Lech Kril was a stark message that I need one for these types of missions where I must bring one. So I'm looking for recommendations for a good sniper rifle to pump Forma into, as well as a good build to shoot for. I'm an MR 21 player with access to almost every sniper rifle released except Snipetron Vandal (just need that Receiver). I am a weapon collector, so currently in my arsenal are (in alphabetical order): Lanka, Snipetron, Vectis Prime, Vulkar Wraith.

12 answers to this question

I am terrible with snipers, and the game seems to not reward snipe usage all that well.

So i just rolled Valkyr and spammed E until everything died.

Even if there is a weapon restriction, warframe powers are there to back you up, or even save the entire run.

2 minutes ago, Ognj said:

I am terrible with snipers, and the game seems to not reward snipe usage all that well.

So i just rolled Valkyr and spammed E until everything died.

Even if there is a weapon restriction, warframe powers are there to back you up, or even save the entire run.

I limped through it with Mesa and an unexpectedly good team, but I'm the type of person who wants to futureproof things.

If you've got it, try the Vulkar Wraith or Vectis Prime. Both are solid snipers. However I had the Rubico before I got either of those and put 6 forma on it, so the Rubico is my Sortie sniper. It was 4 V's and 2 -'s. All mods are max rank for my build except for one - Serration, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Shred, and Primed Fast Hands (R8. Will get around to maxing it later), element, element (both 90% due to the Rubico's low status chance). If you don't have Primed Fast Hands, the regular one will do. Otherwise, if you want to squeeze more damage out of it, you can replace Fast Hands entirely. For me, Shred is non replaceable, due to the punch through, which is a mechanic that snipers should have anyway.

I'm a fan of the Vulkar and the Wraith is just even better.  It has three levels of adjustable zoom and it's zoom bonus is just a nice simple damage boost.  Once you get a bit of practice with it and get the hang of the zoom you can even start trying things like adjusting the zoom on the move.  Secondary fire will change your zoom even when you aren't aiming so you can be taking cover or moving to position and getting your zoom set ready for the right moment to aim and go straight to shooting.  The six shoot magazine of the Wraith is quite forgiving if you are more used to spraying with automatic weapons but even when you get good with the gun and no longer need the safety of another shot it still proves useful as six shots are enough to drop a Nullifier bubble then shoot him in the face. Then there is Lasting Purity, the New Loka mod exclusive to the Vulkar & Vulkar Wraith.  It gives a 60% damage boost to all aimed shots on top of the bonus gained from your zoom level and that's a multiplicative bonus.  It also gives Purity so in a high level mission such as Sortie you will be getting a fairly regular burst of 1000 damage and a Corrosive status effect on surrounding enemies in addition to increasing your max health by 25% of your base health and then healing by 25% of you new maximum.  So even if you suck with sniper rifles your team mates killing things will charge up Purity, helping keep you on your feet and putting out a bit of damage so you can feel like you aren't a complete burden to the team.

I'm no expert on snipers but Vectis Prime with Depleted Reload and Primed Chamber (or charged chamber) plus some other dmg increase mods should do you good, I'm not sure what mods you use nor what's the current top efficient moding for snipers but for one time uses like sortie mission it should work, (I just jumped high above with Ivara and shot down cloak arrows for teammates to hide them so they could shoot him without anything aggroing them worked pretty good)

Me personally I use Lanka since it can red crit, has innate punch through and you get pure elemental damage.

Slow nova really helps with sniper sorties allowing you to get head shots easier,

If you already have one in your group use ivara she will allow you plenty of time to line up shot ups without worrying to much about enemies with prowl. You can keep your nova safe with your invisible arrows and crowd control groups and really make headshots easy with sleep arrows.

EDIT: also with Lanka as long as your zoom is maxed to x12 you can red crit but even hip firing can allow you to even if you don't actually use the scope you just won't get the kill counter but as you stated your not a good sniper so don't prolly won't effect you as much.

Edited by Bloodskll

Vectis Prime, about 4-5 forma. Serration, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Shred, Stormbringer, Infected Clip, Argon Scope. Aim for the head, triggering Argon Scope proc, Red crits per headshot after that. Not much will survive a hit, I one shot lvl 100s in Sorties.

Edited by Zilchy

after testing bunch of snipers rifles due that excav sniper only mission quite a while ago, the only sniper rifles that doesn't get gimped by reload speed is either vectis variant or lanka, any should works if it could deal enough damage though

10 hours ago, ShenguCat said:

I'm no expert on snipers but Vectis Prime with Depleted Reload and Primed Chamber (or charged chamber) plus some other dmg increase mods should do you good, I'm not sure what mods you use nor what's the current top efficient moding for snipers but for one time uses like sortie mission it should work, (I just jumped high above with Ivara and shot down cloak arrows for teammates to hide them so they could shoot him without anything aggroing them worked pretty good)

That.

Alternatively, if you're going to use it on a lower range, Lanka has the nice advantage of a decent build-in punch-through and elemental damage as its base damage. Depending on play style and preferences, that might be worth noticing.