Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Gun Ideas(Think For Ten Minutes Before Commenting Or You Will Be Igno

Joblock

Ode to the narrow minded - someone yelled TF2 and now every detractor latches onto it like a beacon. Newsflash, people - games can borrow and successfully incorporate ideas from other games without BECOMING them. Did you guys &!$$ and moan about the flamethrower and rocket launcher making it into the game? Sniper Rifles? Cuz, damn, they sure don't have THOSE in Team Fortress.

NOTHING fits the 'lore' until they MAKE IT UP! That is what lore in a game - fictional backstory that they can do whatever the hell they want with to suit their needs. It is malleable! Ultimately DE will make the decision to include/disclude something based on whether it adds something fun (and functional) to the game

Oh noes! Teh Boltor is nothing but the Nailgun from Quake! Crysis and Tomb Raider has a bow and arrow! The list of potential pointless gripes about reflections of other games is endless.  

Weapons from Team Fortress or WHATEVER other source are just that - weapons. They exist in a plethora of different games, movies and other forms of entertainment. Stop with the paranoid bleating already and come up with a few real reasons for not including something. Do you LOVE every gun in the game? No? So the ones that you do not like have no right to be there? Please.

Edited by psyanide

Even if the mini gun would fit with the lore, style, and mindset of Warframe, how on earth would they balance the gun? The idea of a mini gun is simply dump ammunition with massive rounds that deal immense damage. With all mods in the game being percentage based, The minigun would quickly become the official "best gun" in the game. If they tone the DPS down to balance it, every mini gun fan boy around would complain that it isn't a real mini gun (see ignis discussions.) Then this gun becomes a literal nightmare for DE  as it is either ridiculously OP and obviously outshines everything else in the game, or everybody is mad at them for making a bad mini gun. It makes no sense for them to put time into making a gun that would cause so many obvious problems for them to fix. Now maybe later on in the development of Warframe the mini gun will be practical and even be introduced into the game. But as of right now, this is not a workable idea. 

THIS is a great reason for NOT implementing it. I see your point, dude, and now I actually agree. You are right - we are not ready for this... yet :D 

Perhaps a good starting point will be when giving up your melee weapon becomes a bigger sacrifice than it currently is? Implement an overheat mechanic. Be unable to sprint at anything above 50% of your normal rate (you cannot just run through a level covering everything in bullets, your quicker teammates will run ahead n blast everything before you even get to smell battle). Make equipping the gun on a mission give you half shields (your suit needs to divert power to compensate for the extra weight).

There are plenty of things to try out in order to balance such a weapon.

If we're worried about aesthetics and grips- it does not HAVE to be a double handed chainsaw grip. We could have long, thin multiple rotating barrels (3, max 4) attached to the side or bottom of a Frame's arm with a belt feed running to an ammo pack attached somewhere else. We could have a short, stubby 'barrel' looking device in the same position that does not extend beyond the Frame's hand and leaves the melee attack animations intact. Don't picture the heavy from TF2, picture something more like this without the MASSIVE ammo backpack:

http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs_specific_item.php?kind=figure&id=9852&tags=bat%2Brobot

Not exactly on the money for what I am picturing, but in that direction.

This design is also interesting: http://www.deviantart.com/art/robot-minigun-arm-44816112

Edited by psyanide

Reasons why medic gun is pointless has already been mentioned, so I won't get into that. Suffice to say it's been shot down already.

However, the Gatling gun idea isn't half-bad. But not for the reasons you stated OP.

A cumbersome device would be shunned by most players and summarily ignored as speed is definitely a factor in this game.

However, if one takes next-gen space age super awesome logic into it, I don't see at all why a Mini-gun should be cumbersome or prone to any of the problems that would plague a traditional current-gen Mini-gun. That would suggest that the only tweak required would be to implement a skin for the Gorgon and call it a day, because this is quite literarly what a space-age mini-gun would be if you think about it.

So I'm all for having a classic styled minigun skin for the Gorgon, but besides that, I don't really see the point of introducing obsolete hardware.

Edited by Hap-muhr

Even if the mini gun would fit with the lore, style, and mindset of Warframe, how on earth would they balance the gun? The idea of a mini gun is simply dump ammunition with massive rounds that deal immense damage. With all mods in the game being percentage based, The minigun would quickly become the official "best gun" in the game. If they tone the DPS down to balance it, every mini gun fan boy around would complain that it isn't a real mini gun (see ignis discussions.) Then this gun becomes a literal nightmare for DE  as it is either ridiculously OP and obviously outshines everything else in the game, or everybody is mad at them for making a bad mini gun. It makes no sense for them to put time into making a gun that would cause so many obvious problems for them to fix. Now maybe later on in the development of Warframe the mini gun will be practical and even be introduced into the game. But as of right now, this is not a workable idea. 

THIS is a great reason for NOT implementing it. I see your point, dude, and now I actually agree. You are right - we are not ready for this... yet :D 

Perhaps a good starting point will be when giving up your melee weapon becomes a bigger sacrifice than it currently is? Implement an overheat mechanic. Be unable to sprint at anything above 50% of your normal rate (you cannot just run through a level covering everything in bullets, your quicker teammates will run ahead n blast everything before you even get to smell battle). Make equipping the gun on a mission give you half shields (your suit needs to divert power to compensate for the extra weight).

There are plenty of things to try out in order to balance such a weapon.

If we're worried about aesthetics and grips- it does not HAVE to be a double handed chainsaw grip. We could have long, thin multiple rotating barrels (3, max 4) attached to the side or bottom of a Frame's arm with a belt feed running to an ammo pack attached somewhere else. We could have a short, stubby 'barrel' looking device in the same position that does not extend beyond the Frame's hand and leaves the melee attack animations intact. Don't picture the heavy from TF2, picture something more like this without the MASSIVE ammo backpack:

http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs_specific_item.php?kind=figure&id=9852&tags=bat%2Brobot

Not exactly on the money for what I am picturing, but in that direction.

This design is also interesting: http://www.deviantart.com/art/robot-minigun-arm-44816112

i personlly would like to see more stealth weaopons maybe like a slienced rifle or something we need more rifles not mini guns medi guns just rifles the game does not have very many good ones pretty much just the burston latron gorgon we need more automatic rifles

The presence of one does not mean the exclusion of another. I agree fully with you - we need more rifles - more primary weapons in general, actually. There are so many melee weapons you can't spit in the market without hitting one. But IMO it would be even better to get more variation going - stealthy, silenced SMG's AND blastathon Rotary Cannons.

What about a Secondary (Medi)Regen-pistol + shield?
It would fire the same kind of blobs i describes earlier for the main gun.

Using large quantities of ammo the Regen-pistol would fire a blob that attached to a player and provided a "heal over time".
The primary gun would still be there for damage, but instead of a secondary you would have a heal option.

I know that this would be more of a press Q item for some, but it may still work. The 100 health packs are realy bad in their current state with all the ui-workthrough required. Yet this could be fixed with a simple hotkey so might still be a bad idea (regen pistol that is).

Just trying different angles.

Or a Medi-Melee? XD makes me think of "you have been beaten by an ugly-stick and lose one charmpoint".

(if you get this reference you are awesome!)

Anyway, is there no way to work it in?

Perhaps it could actually be a utility item that you could equip? A medi-gun that had a set number of HP it could regenerate. Firing it would provide something like a 500 hp-magazine that you could use when ever you needed it. The con being you would actually have to equip it ingame and fire it. No instant 100 health, but a health-option for both team and yourself.

What we need is a bolt shotgun. Armor ignoring, deadly up close and absolutely useless beyond 20m because bolts like to fly themselves away from what you're pointing the gun at.

I think 5 bolts, 20 damage each would be just fine with 4 or 5 shots in the mag. Same fire rate as the Strun. Same projectile velocity as the Boltor and Bolto/Akbolto.

What we need is a bolt shotgun. Armor ignoring, deadly up close and absolutely useless beyond 20m because bolts like to fly themselves away from what you're pointing the gun at.

I think 5 bolts, 20 damage each would be just fine with 4 or 5 shots in the mag. Same fire rate as the Strun. Same projectile velocity as the Boltor and Bolto/Akbolto.

Oh, that sounds fun :) with some piercing maybe? (fire through more than 1 enemy)

A minigun sounds interesting, despite how the Gorgon exists. I'm sure having another alternative can have legitimate differences.

Example: Perhaps it has a bigger ammo pool, and makes the wielder slow as bricks, but can lay down more impressive rapid fire than the Gorgon. However:

Pro: Miniguns are always awesome.

Con: But that limits the ninja-esque way of your warframe. Though if you want the minigun, chances are you're more than willing to forgo agility and throw dexterity and movement out the window for a hella-stupid amount of lead to throw at people really really fast!

Con: Just put Multishot and speed trigger on a Gorgon and you pretty much achieve the same effect.

Though honestly 'bigger' clunky weapons don't necessarily fit the design of the game very easily, I believe. Might not be introduced, but I could be wrong. We aleady have the Gorgon, Fragor and Scindo, which aren't necessarily nimble/light weapons.

Though it might be possible to introduce it as a Grineer weapon and maybe utilizing their military might, might try to create a more portable version? Who knows.

The medigun? Not certain about this one! Can't voice a proper opinion.

Edited by Lightwire

already too many highly inaccurate guns. need more weapons with slow projectiles. People love the bows, the throwing knives, the bolt weapons. 

healing is too situationl to have entire weapon built around it. I don't need heals doing t3 void runs, why would i want someone with a healing gun on my team? Also it encroaches on the already situational job of the trinity. The primary role of the group is to kill people, so there is always mobs for people to kill, so a flame weapon doesn't really interfere with an ember. But there aren't always people to heal.There rarely are people to heal, so a primary that has healing does interfere with a trinity. 

Edited by aTaVaX

While I'm not too enamored with the idea of a gun dedicated to healing people, perhaps you could have a mod which allowed for bullets to heal friendlies when they strike them, healing for a certain fraction of the gun's base damage. Further upgrades would increase this fraction of base damage.

I had this thinking of the Flux Rifle how they could change it.

Give it unlimited ammo capazity but the magazin can hold like 50.

When you emptied the magazin, the gun will gets overheated and you have to wait a little longer to cool it down.

Give it a fair magazin regenerating speed and take a re-look at the dmg, altough 80 dmg per 1 sec/10 ammo is already low/fair for it.

Armor pierce is great and puncture would make sense.

And about range. Its just doesn't make sense but a time travel yoyo laser is not that what i'm thinkin of ''Laser/Energy/Plasma'' whatever

so give it unlimited range with lacking of dmg, amore pierce or puncture at high range. Or something like a vertical kick.

Another idea would be a 2 stage fire mode. After shooting a few sec, the laser turns bigger and does more dmg or it adds AP/Puncture but consumes more ammo.

Some ppl will probably recognize this.

a minigun would be neat it could have the stats of the grakata minus the need to reload with some innate special affects, and frankly i'd rather carry around an amazing secondary like a Bronco or a set of Despair and be able to medic the team while i don't have enough energy for  blessing than carry around an unranked gun and rely on my knives without any way of helping my team survive.

the healing properties would make the gun part of survival and it would definitely be needed at endgame if there are no health orbs and there isn't a trinity in the squad, hell this gun could SHOOT health orbs as projectiles that heal allies for 25 base health(increasable by serration). for all i really care, it'd be a nice addition and fill a niche.

Edited by LasersGoPewPew