The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do You Like Archwing and Why?

NGSBRReAPeR

Question

So I'd like to see if people like Archwing and why,  I want to pile up things people think should be fixed (It's obvious 90% of the community hate Archwing) and post it in one huge post in the forums with ideas for things to be fixed, and I already have a post of an Asteroid Field Sector idea for Archwing, I love the gamemone and I want to see it grow, but DE just seems to ignore it and it makes me sad :( 

Archwing is an amazing game mode where you can really enjoy the feeling of moving fast and killing enemies on the run, using interesting abilities and weapons. It's also a game mode where you're punished for doing any of the things I just said were enjoyable. The most valuable game modes in Archwing are Defense and Interception, where you stand still and snipe. Corpus tile sets are all far too cramped to make any use of your speed, and Grineer tiles are all stupidly empty. Combine that with drop rates for mods and weapon parts you need being worse than prime farming, and a few cheap one-shot enemies and you've got a recepie for absolute crap.

The whole game mode needs to be taken back to the drawing board, as far as levels go. It needs modes that are unique to it, and it's playstyle. It needs essential mods that are more easily obtainable, and interesting cross-over drops that are not. It needs weapons that can be built with regular resources, or for the drop rates on weapon parts to be raised drastically. It needs to be its own part of the game, related to the core game but offering a different experience. Right now it's just a worse version of the core game where rockets are fundamentally broken.

16 minutes ago, TheRaidNade said:

I feel it could be a cool way to implement a new "raid" where you raid ships for materials while other players disable engines so they can't escapeand then they all go inside and find as the resource room and then as you find it it's a insta-complete and you dip into space get on your liset and get like(depending on the planet) 15x orokin cell 15x neurodes 15xneural sensor 600-900 oxium 3000-4.5k plastids uncommon resources wont be contained in these "resource rooms"

Plastids are Uncommon, and the rate of resources is WAY too high, I think 1-2 Rare, 50-100 Oxyum, like 2k Common and like 500 Uncommon on those raids would be nice, but seeing as they would be transport raids, they should be like nitain, 4 per day! 

56 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Yeah, it would be nice. The main problem is that Archwing has received such negative reception largely that the developers seem afraid to expand upon it. Every time they attempt to, people complain about being 'forced' to play Archwing, how awful it is, etc. It becomes a question of: why invest a lot of work into a mode that is largely unappreciated?

Obviously this is something that people brought up the instant the first Archwing trailer was shown, and they should've wrestled with the question then. Developing two separate game modes means cutting development in half for each one individually. Archwing would exist as some kind of tumor that would drain development from the main game. They shouldn't have even attempted it if they weren't prepared for that. Instead, they decided to cut their losses and just leave Archwing to stagnate.

I see your point, but I think that dedicating a little bit of work (Like a pretty small ammount) to it wouldn't hurt, it could be like an Archwing Update like every 2 weeks or something, small, but significant

Just now, NGSBRReAPeR said:

Plastids are Uncommon, and the rate of resources is WAY too high, I think 1-2 Rare, 50-100 Oxyum, like 2k Common and like 500 Uncommon on those raids would be nice, but seeing as they would be transport raids, they should be like nitain, 4 per day! 

No it should be lotsssss because it would be super hard and there should kinda be a payout and it would be a fun way to subdue grind for more "experienced" players who have adequate arch-gear and would be as difficult as a sortie if not more and as an archwing that means lots of things should be looted from the ship or ships however it is made and nitain would be 2-3 each complete raid and i think the corresponding planets could have a system to the more played the less ships so "abused" planets like draco only have like 1-2 ships per cause of Draco... but its a goldmine because its high level and maps like idk venus should have plenty for low level but... aren't so good compared to high level missions but are good for noobies and are easier

Just now, TheRaidNade said:

No it should be lotsssss because it would be super hard and there should kinda be a payout and it would be a fun way to subdue grind for more "experienced" players who have adequate arch-gear and would be as difficult as a sortie if not more and as an archwing that means lots of things should be looted from the ship or ships however it is made and nitain would be 2-3 each complete raid and i think the corresponding planets could have a system to the more played the less ships so "abused" planets like draco only have like 1-2 ships per cause of Draco... but its a goldmine because its high level and maps like idk venus should have plenty for low level but... aren't so good compared to high level missions but are good for noobies and are easier

Hmm, perhaps starter, simple resource missions that appear frequently each day and then a daily, sortie level multi-staged raid for experienced players? That would be fun! 

1 hour ago, TheRaidNade said:

1.) movement not as fluid like... at all

2.)No interesting mechanics of archwing it's basically press E to win unless beefy enemy comes out then one-three shot it with your weapon or on the other side of the coin just don't do archwing at all because it takes forever to level archwing gear, even the "Draco" of archwing only gives 3-4 levels a run

3.)enemies are mostly same model and are quite bland compared to normal enemies

4.)enemy difficulty is consistently easy

5.)Very few tilesets and the ones we have are very annoying and limit the purpose of archwing's open space fast paced fighting aka shooting yourself in the foot while you're trying to run fast

All of these issues applied to the main game originally but have gradually been improved upon with new tiles and tile sets, new enemy models and new enemies and reworkings of movement mechanics.  I imagine Archwing will have the same treatment of starting with just enough to function and then being expanded.

Just now, Katinka said:

All of these issues applied to the main game originally but have gradually been improved upon with new tiles and tile sets, new enemy models and new enemies and reworkings of movement mechanics.  I imagine Archwing will have the same treatment of starting with just enough to function and then being expanded.

one day... hopefully one day

Do I like Archwing? Yes. Do I like playing Archwing? No.

Pros:

• Controlling your archwing is a lot of fun. It's fast and chaotic, but you're still very in control.

Cons:

• The combat has almost no depth. This isn't due to a lack of archwings and gear. Exterminate missions have so few enemies that there's no reason or opportunity to use powers. Enemy variety is basically nonexistent. You have trash mobs, an artillery unit that can easily one-shot the squad, and a helpless slow-moving tank. The only time the flow of combat changes is when half a dozen Dargyns crowd one interception tower.
  • Leveling archwing gear takes forever. Designing a single build can take days of grinding one high-level node, and that's assuming you already have gear that can handle it.
  • Mission complexity is virtually nonexistent. The only mission type with an interesting objective is defense, but the map is so small that enemies spawn on top of the pods. Mobile defense is, as in the main game, the most boring and least profitable mission type due to how long it takes and how brief the individual encounters are.

DE needs to take advantage of the fact that archwing missions can have huge, open maps. Mobile defense should have a mobile objective that you must protect as it follows a set path. Defense maps need to be twice their current size to allow for more spawns and enemy variety. Exterminate needs at least three times as many enemies, and the AI should cluster more, or at least strategize/ambush to make things interesting. Sabotage needs the Sab 2.0 treatment, right now it's just an exterminate mission where you can ignore all the enemies.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

Still waiting for a Gundam-style archwing mode where we are not forced or restricted to capturing points or guarding some fragile box.

• Slightly bigger enemies that doesn't move around like Goku so people aren't all about pressing E.
  • Shield Dargyn that uses actual damage reducing shields and not some vibranium-iron alloy like Captain America's shield that reduces damage taken by 100%
  • More heavy unit enemies. Probably something that fires a charging proton cannon.

I could name a few more since this game mode has so much potential but I feel like they were kinda holding back.

I'm going to be "that guy" for a few seconds. No, I absolutely hate Archwing, and I think it's just because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game that well. I also find Archwing missions a lot harder than normal gameplay. To me, it feels like they're trying to force it on us. I was appalled when I saw that the Vauban Systems alert was an Archwing mission today, but I bit the bullet and did it anyways. 

Edited by DuskLegendary

I would love to like archwing, but as a new player it's a hell of an issue getting geared up. I've run countless low level missions to try and get mods but I'm still missing a bunch of key mods, like basic damage increase of the weapons, or shield and hitpoint increases for the archwing itself. And the jump in difficulty from the first two or three missions to the outer reaches of the solar system is harsh.

And as very few people run these missions, grouping isn't available more often than not.

Personally I'd like to see the archwing quest have a follow up mission or two where you get automatically awarded some mods (base damage for melee and gun, health and shield for the archwing) just so that you have a chance to upgrade and deal with the later missions.

16 hours ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

So I'd like to see if people like Archwing and why,  I want to pile up things people think should be fixed (It's obvious 90% of the community hate Archwing) and post it in one huge post in the forums with ideas for things to be fixed, and I already have a post of an Asteroid Field Sector idea for Archwing, I love the gamemone and I want to see it grow, but DE just seems to ignore it and it makes me sad :( 

I like Archwing per se, I mean the combat just as an experience. 

But I don't enjoy the Archwing progression very much - too slow and unrewarding.

9 hours ago, SpaceHopper said:

I would love to like archwing, but as a new player it's a hell of an issue getting geared up. I've run countless low level missions to try and get mods but I'm still missing a bunch of key mods, like basic damage increase of the weapons, or shield and hitpoint increases for the archwing itself. And the jump in difficulty from the first two or three missions to the outer reaches of the solar system is harsh.

And as very few people run these missions, grouping isn't available more often than not.

Personally I'd like to see the archwing quest have a follow up mission or two where you get automatically awarded some mods (base damage for melee and gun, health and shield for the archwing) just so that you have a chance to upgrade and deal with the later missions.

Hmm, perhaps gaining some damaged basic key mods after the quest would be nice (Only key mods I have are bonus energy and more damage on melee...)

Im gonna be honest: I fall into the 90% that hate archwing group. But I see potential in archwing.

Ok so this is what I think needs to be done:

1. Archwing feels really unstable. I know that there is no (or little) gravity in open space but still, make it so I don't have to counter steer every time I move.

2. There is no reward for mastering archwing. I cant get prime parts or "useful" mods by playing archwing. Warframe is all about grinding, give me something to grind for.

3. This one is probably the most unlikely but, let me use the mods I have worked so hard to attain on my archwing gear. This point is probably why most veteran (before archwing) players dislike archwing.

4. Revise the whole game mode. Just hear me out, the way archwing plays feels broken. Right now archwing is the current game mechanics adapted to this "new game mode" and it just doesn't work. Take a look at some good space fighter games, see what they did right and create an actual new game mode instead of an extension to an existing one.

I feel that if DE can bring pvp back from the dead, then they can do the same with archwing. Give it the same treatment and let it shine like the diamond in the rough it is.

1 hour ago, Ghost_1302 said:

Im gonna be honest: I fall into the 90% that hate archwing group. But I see potential in archwing.

Ok so this is what I think needs to be done:

1. Archwing feels really unstable. I know that there is no (or little) gravity in open space but still, make it so I don't have to counter steer every time I move.

2. There is no reward for mastering archwing. I cant get prime parts or "useful" mods by playing archwing. Warframe is all about grinding, give me something to grind for.

3. This one is probably the most unlikely but, let me use the mods I have worked so hard to attain on my archwing gear. This point is probably why most veteran (before archwing) players dislike archwing.

4. Revise the whole game mode. Just hear me out, the way archwing plays feels broken. Right now archwing is the current game mechanics adapted to this "new game mode" and it just doesn't work. Take a look at some good space fighter games, see what they did right and create an actual new game mode instead of an extension to an existing one.

I feel that if DE can bring pvp back from the dead, then they can do the same with archwing. Give it the same treatment and let it shine like the diamond in the rough it is.

That No. 4 of yours is also in my head, if DE is making constant PvP updates, why can't they also make constant Archwing updates? Small but significant! And I do personally agree that we should be able to use those Power Efficiency/Power/Range/Duration mods that we own on Archwing, and they should make the Archwing Vitality and Redirection mods more common (A normal Vitality/Redirection mod would be WAY too OP, I has the Archwing Redirection mod (Which is +120% more shields) on a like Lvl 22-26 Odonata and I have 1080 shields and 700 Health with no Vitality Mods! But they SHOULD be more common! I do think that the 0G drift mechanic makes it more realistic, but for Christ's sake make the amount of glide on Archwing less on Corpus ships! WE'RE ON A GIANT SHIP AND IT SHOULD HAVE SOME SMALL GRAVITATIONAL PULL!!!!