Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increase or decrease mod rank at will

pyrocraziac

So I have seen some people recently discuss a system where we could rank up or down a mod - specifically wanting to rank a mod down.

So Occam's razor carved out a sharp idea to make it simple to implement and avoid exploitation.

Ranking up the mod as usual is unchanged. However, the mods will have little arrows on the bottom near the blue rank indicators. Clicking the left one will allow you to deactivate as many ranks as you like, and the mod retains its highest fused rank. Similarly, the right arrow will allow one to increase the rank of the mod to the highest rank fused.

As far as I can tell there is nothing to exploit because a mod never loses ranks and fusion stays the same, allowing ranks to be deactivated and reactivated at will.

This is a QoL suggestion that would make leveling new weapons/frames and applying forma much easier, subverting the need to have several mods at several ranks.

1 minute ago, EinheriarJudith said:

i almost wish they used the same system as old dark sector but let you put all the mods in and as you lvl the weapon or wf the mods get activated from left to right up then down. or some variation of it.

That sounds cool too.

3 minutes ago, TheBrsrkr said:

DE has already said no to this, because of the way mod Data is saved it would not be possible with the current system (paraphrasing) 

Its not as if other areas of the game were left without a rework: parkour, several frames, entire damage calculation systems...

It is a much needed improvement.

i was talking about this the other day on a skype call

cuz i'm tired of needing multiple versions of mods

i have a rank 10 serration but i also have a rank 8, for those times where i need to wiggle around needing 1 more capacity.

same with redirection vitality, i have r10 and r8 of those too for the same reasons. Mostly to use while lvling frames.

since i don't draco, i actually play the game... and having wiggle room while leveling is very useful.

but let's back up here, why do i need wiggle room?

why cant i just slot my r10 vitality, and tap it down to r8?

i already paid to get it to rank 10~ so why am i PENALIZED for having it higher rank???

i cant slot it to my liking, so ranking it up actually hurts me for lower frames or frames without that polarity.

Being able to downgrade to fit capacity needs is needed with this current system.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)gino1313 said:

There is a problem with this. A single rifle mod cannot be used on both a sentinel rifle weapon and a player rifle weapon. So it throws an error. This system would make you apply the change to every build. 

I fail to see how this would be the case. We are not talking about separate mods. The idea is that the rank is unchanged. The player has the ability to dial the mod back. The actual rank is not affected.

It would be easy to code a modifier into the slots that mods are placed. Much the same way a serration applies a +% modifier to the base damage of the weapon, the slotted mod could have a modifier applied to it in order to alter the effect the mod has on the weapon. This allows for weapon/frame specific rank alterations that do not globally affect the mod.

Edit: For instance, when the mod is slotted, you could be initially asked at what rank the mod will be slotted - the string variable with this data would be unique to that single slot, modifying that specific mod's rank/drain. Then as you hit the +/- arrows to increase the rank, all that happens is the string variable for that mod slot is altered to change the rank/drain of the mod.

Edited by pyrocraziac

4 hours ago, TheBrsrkr said:

DE has already said no to this, because of the way mod Data is saved it would not be possible with the current system (paraphrasing) 

I've never heard them say no to this. They have responded in the past noting it something they have considered but the current system is making it difficult to do it. The game would wig out trying to keep track of all the different settings on the mods on each individual item and loadout.

Maybe a temporary fix is to add the deranking feature to the Modstation on the ship since it had little other function than just viewing mods, but again not knowing how the mod data works currently kind of makes theorizing solutions difficult.

14 hours ago, pyrocraziac said:

I fail to see how this would be the case. We are not talking about separate mods. The idea is that the rank is unchanged. The player has the ability to dial the mod back. The actual rank is not affected.

It would be easy to code a modifier into the slots that mods are placed. Much the same way a serration applies a +% modifier to the base damage of the weapon, the slotted mod could have a modifier applied to it in order to alter the effect the mod has on the weapon. This allows for weapon/frame specific rank alterations that do not globally affect the mod.

Edit: For instance, when the mod is slotted, you could be initially asked at what rank the mod will be slotted - the string variable with this data would be unique to that single slot, modifying that specific mod's rank/drain. Then as you hit the +/- arrows to increase the rank, all that happens is the string variable for that mod slot is altered to change the rank/drain of the mod.

A slot like that seems too damn complicated. 

13 hours ago, (PS4)gino1313 said:

A slot like that seems too damn complicated. 

It would be super easy to have it just be a flat multiplier. When a mod is slotted it is always unranked. The string variable taken from the mods would be its maxed fused rank - variable M. Then it would pull another string variable from the mod relating to its function, but only its most basic stat. So for serration it would just pull the flat +15% damage, lets call this D. Then it would have a new variable R for rank. The modifier on the slot could be (D + R*D)  then this value would apply that to the base damage of the equipped gun. Program the acceptable range for R to always be less than or equal to M. So if M is 8, then only integers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are acceptable inputs, all other values report an error message like "mod is at min/max rank."

Drain is even easier. Since the mod will always be slotted a lowest rank, pull the cost for the unranked mod - variable C. Pull the M value and the R value from the previous formula. The effective drain formula would be (C + R) where the acceptable range for R carries over from the previous formula for damage.

This is currently the most simple means to implement a way to alter the effective rank of a mod without distorting the mod's actual rank or allow for exploitation. This would allow a template to be created that would be rather universal across most of the mod slots regardless of weapon/frame. There would be a formula between that slot's modifier, as dictated by the slotted mod, to interpret a lower rank's influence while still allowing the mod to remain unchanged.

Edited by pyrocraziac
Cleaned up the idea