Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapons- What to use? MELEE

(PSN)amphose

Question

:)   Hello! I have been watching YouTube Warframe videos in my free time. I have been held hostage by Mogamu's videos and have learned a lot from them. Buuuut what TYPE of weapons are best against what? I know how puncture slash and impact damage certain factions but does a certain type work? I.E. Daggers, Polearms, Whips ect

13 answers to this question

The "best" type of weapon is the one that has the most advantages against the majority of the mobs you will be fighting as the tileset won't be 100% of any set group. Like, if you are going to rush to the boss for blueprint pieces, you want to run the weapons that will help against the boss, not all the random mobs between. Also different weapons in a category will deal varying amounts of different damage (rifles with impact instead of puncture, swords with impact instead of slash, etc). So basically there is no answer to your question.

You need to choose the weapon that you 1) are comfortable and capable of using effectively and 2) is going to work against what you are fighting. Once you have a good inventory of mods and a leveled/cata'd/forma'd weapons you can ignore that (aka you over gear things), but starting out you should really try to learn that linked table and mod appropriately. Each weapon has 3 set ups, which incidentally aligns with how many factions there are.

Edit: As for stances, the ones that match the polarity give you the most extra "room" for mods, but sometimes don't fit your personal preferences. That is where Forma come in, you can change the polarity to something that matches the stance you like. You can use any stance for the weapon to try them out, it just won't add as much drain as one that matches.

Edited by (XB1)Skylancer4

Just now, Jalastin said:

I don't think the type of melee weapon matters, more just the damage type and whatever elemental damage is on said melee weapon. 

Oh ok. I was wandering as different weapon stances and all that...    Thx for your help!

Hope I'm understanding this right.

When picking a melee, just remember: the stance is what really will make it or break it.
some stances have really great damage modifiers, others have a lot of mobility.

Also what is your definition of "best", because it can vary a lot when it comes to "use X when fighting Y".

But if we are strictly speaking highest damage per hit.

Spoiler

grineer = scindo prime with cleaving whirlwind.

corpus = war with cleaving whirlwind.

infested = scindo prime with drum roll...... cleaving whirlwind.
make sure to use the broken bull combo for that +400% damage for each spin.

Spoiler

for the record, I don't use any of these, heavy weapons are too slow for me and cleaving whirlwind is not very mobile

honestly though, you could do pretty well with any melee weapon, except for maybe daggers, unless you have covert lethality and a warframe with a finish opener, like ash or excal.

Edited by RIOT

1 hour ago, RIOT said:

Hope I'm understanding this right.

When picking a melee, just remember: the stance is what really will make it or break it.
some stances have really great damage modifiers, others have a lot of mobility.

Also what is your definition of "best", because it can vary a lot when it comes to "use X when fighting Y".

But if we are strictly speaking highest damage per hit.

Hide contents

grineer = scindo prime with cleaving whirlwind.

corpus = war with cleaving whirlwind.

infested = scindo prime with drum roll...... cleaving whirlwind.
make sure to use the broken bull combo for that +400% damage for each spin.

Reveal hidden contents

for the record, I don't use any of these, heavy weapons are too slow for me and cleaving whirlwind is not very mobile

honestly though, you could do pretty well with any melee weapon, except for maybe daggers, unless you have covert lethality and a warframe with a finish opener, like ash or excal.

Scindo prime has a pretty good status chance, good crit and basedamage and HUGE multipliers. Slash status is amplified by multipliers. Slash status is also finisher so it bypasses shields, scindo is therefore even better for corpus.

Me, i use the Galatine cause of the extra range and speed but that's nothing but personal preference rly.

Also among the dagger frames:

Valkyr-> Paralysis

Banshee-> w and wo the silence augument (shadow step plus regular silence still results in stealth finishers)

Inaros-> his first

Oberon-> in theory at least...his blind kinda sucks

Mesa-> a blind evry once in a while... the combination of a damage buff and bullet defense is quite potent for melee

Mirage-> same, more blind, less defense tho.

Thers quite a few frames to use daggers with imo...

29 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

scindo is therefore even better for corpus.

I disagree but to each their own I suppose.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Thers quite a few frames to use daggers with imo...

Yes there are, I just didn't want to litter my post with all of them.

1 hour ago, RIOT said:

I disagree but to each their own I suppose.

Yes there are, I just didn't want to litter my post with all of them.

Bypassing infinite scaling shields, attacking health, ideally paired with elemental status mods for viral (more ticks, slash proccs attacking halved health) makes this whole fraction look like a huge joke. 

I've run corpus sorties with augumented shields using this combination. Evrything just dies as soon as you reach them. That was even before we got shadow debt...the same base with red crits and combo is even stronger. Try it out mate, it's worth it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Bypassing infinite scaling shields, attacking health, ideally paired with elemental status mods for viral (more ticks, slash proccs attacking halved health) makes this whole fraction look like a huge joke. 

Both shields and health scale, unfortunately, bleed is not a reliable damage source, and not all corpus are flesh based.
Yes, bleed will bypass shields, but once you're doing high level content, the damage is insignificant.

In conclusion: It really doesn't matter.

Both scindo prime and war will 1 shot well into high level corpus missions, war has a little less than 8% more over all damage, scindo wont beat war in damage until shields are down, but it doesn't really matter because once you've hit the point where you can't 1 shot corpus and / or have to rely on bleed status to kill them through their shields, you're better off just using mag.

Now, you have a personal opinion, I have a personal opinion, lets just leave it at that please.

Bleed is 33% calculated off the basedamage of your weapon, affected by multipliers. 

The health type is irrelevant as bleed deals finisher, your damage is constant/rising with combo whatever you hit. Yea health scales that's true but corpus shields scale MUCH harder then theyr health...

Slash still bypasses this whole thing completely, on a weapon that has mentionable crit and status, deals this thing therefore as BONUS damage. So even if it doesn't kill instantly, it still kills faster, with more damage, which, again, bypasses shields, keeps therefore a excellent chance to just kill faster then the shields run out. 

Sry but no. War is nowhere near a scindo vs anything at all.