Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Directx 12/vulkan

zkm1

• 2 months later...

They're both APIs. More importantly both Vulkan and Directx12 allow games to use multiple cores on CPUs rather than the usual 1 or 2. Some games already have released a patch to take advantage of this. AMD recently released a driver that now makes this possible, and Nvidia either already did, or is going to very soon. This increases game performance by quite a bit, and is overall seen as a huge benefit to gamers with quadcore and up CPUs.

You can hear more about it here: https://youtu.be/tyJY5oUBbt4 NSFW due to some language, unless you wear headphones, then it's whatever. 

2 hours ago, Shadow8600 said:

They're both APIs. More importantly both Vulkan and Directx12 allow games to use multiple cores on CPUs rather than the usual 1 or 2. Some games already have released a patch to take advantage of this. AMD recently released a driver that now makes this possible, and Nvidia either already did, or is going to very soon. This increases game performance by quite a bit, and is overall seen as a huge benefit to gamers with quadcore and up CPUs.

You can hear more about it here: https://youtu.be/tyJY5oUBbt4 NSFW due to some language, unless you wear headphones, then it's whatever. 

But..can't you just unpark your cores and achieve the same thing?

54 minutes ago, Foxhound4 said:

But..can't you just unpark your cores and achieve the same thing?

For very various reasons this method is much more intuitive for most end users. Even those that are aware of, or have the knowledge of how to disable CPU core parking would probably prefer modern games and upcoming titles to have this framework in place without the need for any additional tinkering from our end. Not to mention this is basically guaranteed to increase performance without having to disable the power saving settings core parking offers, as well as you should only need to do that when your computer is not functioning correctly. Windows optimally should disable core parking when a task requires more processing power, though for most games with current and previous APIs, it does not seem to be the case.

Games (to my very little knowledge in development) up to this point try to limit the amount of CPU usage to only need one or two cores. I am guessing because this was the standard capabilities of hardware for many years, and the only mainstream options available under OpenGL and previous DirectX versions. I've also heard theories that it is done to closer match the experience from Console players. Same reason we usually get a visual downgrade in the PC Release ports of most AAA games from what is shown in trailers, and 'In Engine Footage'. (looking at you Watch_Dogs)

If DE decides to update their game to be able to take advantage of Vulkan or DirectX12 then they could in theory, increase the number of particles, and content available on screen at any given moment, secure in the knowledge that a majority of users will be able to handle this fairly easily.

Edited by Shadow8600

4 minutes ago, Shadow8600 said:

For very various reasons this method is much more intuitive for most end users. Even those that are aware of, or have the knowledge of how to disable CPU core parking would probably prefer modern games and upcoming titles to have this framework in place without the need for any additional tinkering from our end. Not to mention this is basically guaranteed to increase performance without having to disable the power saving settings core parking offers, as well as you should only need to do that when your computer is not functioning correctly. Windows optimally should disable core parking when a task requires more processing power, though for most games with current and previous APIs, it does not seem to be the case.

Games (to my very little knowledge in development) up to this point try to limit the amount of CPU usage to only need one or two cores. I am guessing because this was the standard capabilities of hardware for many years, and the only mainstream options available under OpenGL and previous DirectX versions. I've also heard theories that it is done to closer match the experience from Console players. Same reason we usually get a visual downgrade in the PC Release ports of most AAA games from what is shown in trailers, and 'In Engine Footage'. (looking at you Watch_Dogs)

If DE decides to update their game to be able to take advantage of Vulkan or DirectX12 then they could in theory, increase the number of particles, and content available on screen at any given moment, secure in the knowledge that a majority of users will be able to handle this fairly easily.

But for Wf though? I mean I get your point,but you can max setting with a 970 and the processor requirements are fairly low as it is. And if you're running windows 7/8 your cores are capped till you manually unpark them, A problem that was suppose to be addressed more than a year ago. I didn't think it was that unheard of though,but if it benefits the majority I don't see why they wouldn't implement it.

That is the caveat, I don't know how easily they can achieve this, or if it's too much of a headache for their developers to see as feasible. My hope was that they could increase texture resolutions, enemy NPCs, particles, fauna, objects etc, without having to necessarily increase the minimum requirements for the game.

Edited by Shadow8600

With the new AMD GPUs showing significant performance gains under DX12 / Vulkan it would be nice to see Warframe support those in the near future. Even though Warframe has very moderate GPU requirements more fps is always better. :)

II thought they addressed this around January during a devstream. They said something about the gains are'nt that major and require too much work for such small gains. They did say that they'll keep an eye on things but ruled it out for the near future atleast.

2 minutes ago, CarrotSalad said:

II thought they addressed this around January during a devstream. They said something about the gains are'nt that major and require too much work for such small gains. They did say that they'll keep an eye on things but ruled it out for the near future atleast.

Ah, I was unaware of that. I'll try going back to the devstreams around that time, and see if I catch something about it. Just thought with all the recent news regarding AMD and Nvidia making more adjustments to their drivers, and games like Doom patching support for the new APIs, Warframe might look to do the same.