Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Name changing, name is taken by a inactive account. What do I do?

NullSector

Question

I've been Wanting to change my name recently, as many will understand as you read this post, and the name I go by with most people I know is taken buy an account that is MR 2 and only has 12 hours while still starting out with the Loki frame, so its obviously old and inactive.

My question is, will DE see that its old and inactive and clear the name up for me or I'm a bat out of luck?

6 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

it's stated in the EULA (i think) that after a year or so of inactivity, the people at WF start looking at that user in terms of deleting that account. so yo might get lucky if they remove that account

17 minutes ago, (PS4)EnormeMostro said:

What ? So if we don't use our account, they just remove it ? 

Terms of Use Agreement:

Your Account may be deactivated if you do not use your Account within twelve months after the date that it was created or for any continuous period of twelve months after creation. If you do not use your Account for twelve or more months, it may be removed and deleted by the Website administrator at their sole discretion. We will endeavor to use reasonable efforts to notify you by e-mail before we delete your Account, unless we are deleting your User ID for a violation of these terms or discontinuation of the Service. However, we will not be liable in any manner for any failure to give notice. If you advise us within five days of the notice that you want to keep your Account active, we will not delete it. If you do not so notify us, your Account may be permanently deleted, along with your User ID, records, ranks and service information. Please note that regardless of any notice, Digital Extremes reserves the right to discontinue the Use/Service or to terminate or suspend your account at any time in its sole discretion for any reason, or for no reason.

You may terminate your Account at any time, for any reason or no reason, by submitting a ticket to Digital Extremes Support.

So yes, they may delete your account. Somehow I doubt they actually would, but they could.

34 minutes ago, (PS4)EnormeMostro said:

I think it's a little different for us console players because out names are linked to our PSN/XBL accounts and steam users, but those other standalone players may lose their name if their account gets removed.

17 minutes ago, Trase-Kor said:

Terms of Use Agreement:

So yes, they may delete your account. Somehow I doubt they actually would, but they could.

thx for getting my facts straight. i knew it was one of those legal forms thingys haha

i'm not sure that they can just take the name from an old account no matter how old it is... however it seems to me the best course of action is to contact support and see what DE can do about it, perhaps maybe they will be able to give a hand, but like i said i don't think they can just remove the name from an old account.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

it's stated in the EULA (i think) that after a year or so of inactivity, the people at WF start looking at that user in terms of deleting that account. so yo might get lucky if they remove that account

That part of the EULA is likely there to help the devs clean up space by deleting unused accounts. It's unlikely that they do a sort of "spring cleaning" or constantly deleting 12 month old accounts - This is likely just reserved for occasions when drastic measures are needed, because there's very little benefit to deleting old accounts, while it can cause some old, returning players a lot of grief - something the Devs are unlikely to desire.

Unfortunately, your best option is to use a variation of said name, or create a completely different name.