Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Furis: Blast, Viral or Magnetic + other questions

Tomppak

Question

So, I plan to use Drakgoon as my primary (corrosive) and a big sword (War, no idea of the build yet) as my melee. At first I was considering running Kulstar as my secondary, but I really like the Furis, and I decided that I'd need a means to deal with the Nullifier bubbles at range (which shotguns aren't too good with)(plus, the life-steal of Furis is kinda nice)... Regardless, here's the build so far:

Hornet Strike, Barrel Diffusion, Lethal Torrent, and Winds of Purity - These four are the "core" I plan to keep, unless very convincing arguments come up.
Ice Storm (+ cold and + mag cap, because the clip will empty in seconds), steady hands (Furis is already pretty accurate, but this should help with the silly firerate) and Gunslinger (even more fire rate) - these are what I plan to compliment the core with, but will change depending on what you guys recommend.

One mod slot free, and question is: Since cold dmg is already "locked in" in that ice storm, should I put in the last slot: Heat to combine into blast damage, or toxic for viral, or shock for magnetic?
I would assume that viral would be the best "all-arounder", but the proc chance is really poor so can't count on the viral effect. On the other hand, I'm already taking this weapon because it should quickly take care of the nullifier bubble, so magnetic to deal with corpus shields could also be a pretty viable option? Only drawback would be against alloy armour, but for that I've got the Darkgoon. I've no idea why I would want blast - In the off-chance that blast does proc, it knocks the target out of the away, and given the burst-nature of Furis would cause a lot of the follow up shots to miss?

For statistics, clip has 49 shots with fire rate of 23,2 per second, and with multishot (at 180%) calculated in, it should spew out about 64 bullets per second. The firespeed should synergize well with the lifesteal, enabling to empty a clip in a pinch to restore health.

So, questions: Fire, Shock or Toxic to the last slot? Would you change anything else from the build? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work against the bubbles? The wiki says that the bubble will only take 100-400 dmg per hit, so a weapon with high rate of fire should burst it faster than my shotgun and with less effort, right? I'm not sure if the steady hands is needed, but I suppose that's something I'll find out when I try it.

7 answers to this question

I'd get rid of Gunslinger and Steady Hands in favor for more elements. Corrosive + Cold is a very balanced setup for generally all factions, but if you have Primed Heated Charge, try to find something you can use that with, alongside Ice Storm.

That really depends on you. There's no "best" damage type, but of the three, Magnetic has the least resistance (only Grineer with Alloy armor resist it.) You can always switch back and forth as needed based on faction, you don't have to pick one damage type and then consider it set-in-stone, otherwise you're going to have a lot of problems later on.

Second of all, I'd remove Gunslinger from your build if you aren't just messing around. I love bullet hoses and all, but there's better guns to do that with (Dex Furis, Akzani, Twin Grakatas). Furis is unnecessary because it already has a high fire rate, and it'd be beneficial to have a lower fire rate if you have on Winds of Purity especially. Easier to hit enemies and get life back.

Finally, I wouldn't necessarily set those weapons as your "primary". Maybe a primary problem-solving tool if you're running Survival, Defense, etc., but just remember to experiment with other weapons too. I could count the number of weapons I've used purely for mastery fodder on one hand, and I'm MR 16. You never know when you'll find something you really like. I didn't think much of the Staticor, and then it became a quick favorite.

One thing to watch for when popping Nullifier bubbles is that they shrink at a fixed rate even if you are doing the required damage faster.  It takes something like 6 shots at 400 damage to drop the bubble but with your fire rate you'll do damage faster than the animation of it shrinking.  Learn how many shots it actually takes and then wait for it to disappear instead of firing constantly.  I learned this from using a Burston Prime against them.  Two burst for a Corpus Nullifier and three bursts for a Corrupted Nullifier then wait for it to disappear before putting an aimed shot into his head.  With your Furis you could let off a quick burst then reload or switch weapon while waiting for the bubble to finish shrinking to nothing.  My own Furis build has Corrosive+Heat as they are both decent damage dealers with few enemies resistant to them and going for Heat lets you use a Primed mod for more damage off that precious slot.  I'm also a fan of Seeker so you can hit people behind cover, behind people or in front of Nullifiers.  Hitting more people increases your damage per shot and thus your health per round while shooting through cover allows you to take a safer position in those hairy moments when you are wanting the health regen and being able to shoot the people in front of the Nullifier and hit his bubble too means you aren't letting him tank all your fire.

Personally, I'd forego either Steady Hands or Gunslinger (particularly the former). That'd free up a space and let you have three elemental mods, and a Corrosive + Ice setup is pretty solid against almost every type and would give the Furis more longevity as a healing gun.

1 hour ago, (XB1)DomTheKilleur said:

IMO you may want to consider pistol mutation because with a bullet hose like the Furis you'll end up dry real fast.

Good point, though - I'll be likely using it as a specialized tool (health pack or against bubbles) so ammo usage might not become a problem, but this is something I need to consider and experiment with

Also, obviously, I won't set these weapons in stone, but rather - I need to begin somewhere for weapons I can use in high-level content (sorties and longer T4 missions, etc, maybe raids, no idea what those require or how hard they are) and with limited amount of forma, and with the time it takes to rank up the weapons to apply said formas, these three are just what I was planning to begin with.

EDIT: also, the wiki on Nullifiers says that they don't count individual pellets, but rather, per frame:

Hits are calculated per frame (framerate), and not for each individual pellet within a shot, i.e. a shotgun that shoots 6 pellets dealing 100 damage each for a total of 600 damage is considered as dealing 600 damage, and thus will have its damage nerfed to 400, resulting in a 24% reduction in shields.

I wonder if drakgoons ricochet means that one shot can trigger multiple hits.

Edited by Tomppak