Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hikou Prime and Concealed Explosives

(PSN)Saobie3

Question

This ones simple. Two things.

1: Is it beneficial to use this mod. A lot of people seem to make it out like the weapon is outclassed if you dont. I maxed mine and put it on and yea.

2: if it is, i need a high tier build for Hikou Prime, using this mod. If its not, why? And what would the damage differences be if its not

24 answers to this question

Hikou prime can be powerful with explosives, but only to solar map content. If you're playing in the void (particularly in Endless content), chances are you'd probably fare better by focusing on their status chance and picking several useful enemy debuffs. (Knock down them all with blast and shred armor with corrosive, etc).

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

Just now, TrueHawkEye said:

Well if you mix the explosive hikou with saryn spores it pops all of them in a area and does some nice crowd control on their life bars

It can be quite handy for popping Nully bubbes too. I take them to T4 Def and just aim down the hall, it's fun but damage drops off quick in later levels

20 minutes ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

Hikou prime can be powerful with explosives, but only to solar map content. If you're playing in the void (particularly in Endless content), chances are you'd probably fare better by focusing on their status chance and picking several useful enemy debuffs. (Knock down them all with blast and shred armor with corrosive, etc).

Would it be possible to make a build like that which includes concealed explosives? i ave an Ignis build that uses combust beam and has 100% status chance with any combination of secoondary elements. I think its an outrageous build and im hoping it can work for hikou

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Saobie3 said:

Would it be possible to make a build like that which includes concealed explosives?

ofcourse. there's 8 Mod Slots. you can fit 4 Status Elementals and Concealed Explosives fine.
though even for this Weapon, i still think Punch-Through is useful.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Saobie3 said:

Would it be possible to make a build like that which includes concealed explosives? i ave an Ignis build that uses combust beam and has 100% status chance with any combination of secoondary elements. I think its an outrageous build and im hoping it can work for hikou

When you choose to include Pistol Pestilence, Jolt, Frostbite or Scorch (our 60% status & 60% elemental mods), you can easily get your high status chance. However, keep in mind you're sacrificing potentially higher damage by choosing to ignore the 90% elemental mods. (Since we know the first 4 are pretty much always base damage and multi-shot mods, then our concealed explosives).

Personally, if you anticipate extended battles against powerful enemies, I suggest viral to cut down their max health to reasonable levels. For most content, I favor corrosive blast for simultaneously removing their armor and buying me time to swap to a primary weapon for heavy damage (and against enemies that now have lower armor).

Keep in mind your Concealed Explosives doesn't really offer crowd control by itself, but can be used to attack nullifier bubbles and can be augmented by other enemy debuff powers, such as Molecular Prime and can pop Saryn Spores.

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

I use a max fire rate gas hikou prime with explosives for my saryn and it wrecks everything ( i dont go further than 40 min in survival usually, so whenever the weapon does fall of, i havent gotten ther yet...). I dont use my hikou without them at all because spira prime is better at most other things (except maybe stripping armor).

8 minutes ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

When you choose to include Pistol Pestilence, Jolt, Frostbite or Scorch (our 60% status & 60% elemental mods), you can easily get your high status chance. However, keep in mind you're sacrificing potentially higher damage by choosing to ignore the 90% elemental mods. (Since we know the first 4 are pretty much always base damage and multi-shot mods, then our concealed explosives).

Personally, if you anticipate extended battles against powerful enemies, I suggest viral to cut down their max health to reasonable levels. For most content, I favor corrosive blast for simultaneously removing their armor and buying me time to swap to a primary weapon for heavy damage (and against enemies that now have lower armor).

Keep in mind your Concealed Explosives doesn't really offer crowd control by itself, but can be used to attack nullifier bubbles and can be augmented by other enemy debuff powers, such as Molecular Prime and can pop Saryn Spores.

So all in all its not entirely useful? I initially got hikou Prime for single target muderizing, as my ignis is already handheld genocide (vir and rad, blast and cor, mag and gas. For grineer/void, allpurpose, and corpus/infested respectively). I dont usually notie huge damage falloffs when using the dual stat/status mods, even though im sacrificing up to 60% into each of my 2 secondary elements. Figured it would work well for Hikou too but if it dosnt..

What would YOU guys use as a build, with or without concealed

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Saobie3 said:

So all in all its not entirely useful? I initially got hikou Prime for single target muderizing, as my ignis is already handheld genocide (vir and rad, blast and cor, mag and gas. For grineer/void, allpurpose, and corpus/infested respectively). I dont usually notie huge damage falloffs when using the dual stat/status mods, even though im sacrificing up to 60% into each of my 2 secondary elements. Figured it would work well for Hikou too but if it dosnt..

Well, here's the thing:

We should really be looking at what you'd choose hikou prime for in the first place. Let's be honest: nobody is really going to choose to use anything in the throwing dagger series for its damage. Not even despair or spira prime do all that much damage. So, what do we use hikou for?

Well, it only has a handful of perks: A good firing and reload rate, fair spread, pretty fast travel time, and a nice status chance. It's clear from the outset that it's going to be a weapon for status chance. On mine, I don't even use any base damage mods. It's pure status chance and multishot, then explosives and firing rate (anemic agility). If I want damage, that's what my primary weapon is for.

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

2 minutes ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

Well, here's the thing:

We should really be looking at what you'd choose hikou prime for in the first place. Let's be honest: nobody is really going to choose to use anything in the throwing dagger series for its damage. Not even despair or spira prime do all that much damage. So, what do we use hikou for?

Well, it only has a handful of perks: A good firing and reload rate, fair spread, pretty fast travel time, and a nice status chance. It's clear from the outset that it's going to be a weapon for status chance. On mine, I don't even use any base damage mods. It's pure status chance and multishot, then explosives and firing rate (anemic agility). If I want damage, that's what my primary weapon is for.

Thats... actually a good point. The problem with that though is my ignis fills every role i need in a weapon: Huge cc potential. Reliable damage output, status chance, and gigantic hitbox. The only perk of using hikou Prime over it is instead of proccing an explosion on kill, i have a 98.5% chance of proccing it on hit (with barrel and torrent). 

With that in mind, it is to my understanding that, like combust beam which i use on my ignis, concealed explosives dosnt scale. Meaning it dosnt really matter what my damage is, so i could follow your build. Hikou is probably way more efficient with single targets ammo wise anyways. so ill do that, just gotta.... get all 4 dual stat/status mods for secondary. Such a pain for primary...

all the regular secondary mods, a pistol ammo mutation and some dual stats

gPNOMo2.jpg

this is the build i use, switch out the gas damage for corrosive and trick mag for fire and you're pretty much ready for most content. ( Its gas cuz its mainly for my spore saryn)

as for whether or not you use concealed, i'd advise it because it makes it much better against groups but you cna easily run without it (it has a much larger explosive radius then you'd think so be careful)

1 minute ago, Grimlock84 said:

gPNOMo2.jpg

this is the build i use, switch out the gas damage for corrosive and trick mag for fire and you're pretty much ready for most content. ( Its gas cuz its mainly for my spore saryn)

as for whether or not you use concealed, i'd advise it because it makes it much better against groups but you cna easily run without it (it has a much larger explosive radius then you'd think so be careful)

Thanks. iv almost killed myself a few times now thanks to the highly misleading explosion visuals lol, it seems to hit a very reasonable area. 

My problem is i dont have half of those mods QQ

17 hours ago, (PS4)Saobie3 said:

Me personally I use them to pop nully bubbles.  As I like to use a bow and it takes to long to pop them with a bow.   I mod for fire rate,  and then have some elementals (on phone so cannot look atm).

Iv been killing myself like mad with these things. Cant really use them as a single target substitute, especially if they get in your face like infested. 

But i dont want to give up on it. Besides, im making the Kulstar. Better get used to self destructing now right? xD

23 hours ago, Grimlock84 said:

gPNOMo2.jpg

I use a similar build with gunslinger replacing trick mag.  To put things into perspective, with my saryn spore build I am roughly doing 250 damages 15 times every second to EACH AND EVERY SINGLE enemy on screen... 

Not to sure if this is an above average result or below average, would like to hear from others using similar build.

22 minutes ago, FAZZWARFRAME said:

I use a similar build with gunslinger replacing trick mag.  To put things into perspective, with my saryn spore build I am roughly doing 250 damages 15 times every second to EACH AND EVERY SINGLE enemy on screen... 

Not to sure if this is an above average result or below average, would like to hear from others using similar build.

Hm... thats a bit underwhelming compared to my ignis. A little less damage and not th whole screen, but instant proc and 600 blast damage to everything in a wide area on kill. Chain reactions like mad, genocidal monster

1 hour ago, (PS4)Saobie3 said:

Hm... thats a bit underwhelming compared to my ignis. A little less damage and not th whole screen, but instant proc and 600 blast damage to everything in a wide area on kill. Chain reactions like mad, genocidal monster

I never really spent much time playing with the ignis, just got it to 30 and then shelved it.  looks like I'll need to give it a try :) 

3 hours ago, FAZZWARFRAME said:

I never really spent much time playing with the ignis, just got it to 30 and then shelved it.  looks like I'll need to give it a try :) 

Its a monster. I get use out of mine regardless of enemy level. At 80 youll notice decent falloff and past 100 its pretty much useless for damage. But it can get 100% status chance, has 100% punch through for its whole fire length, and hits any and every enemy in the flames.

Rad/Vir is ideal in situations where you dont deal much damage, as it will benefit others by halving their hp and distracting them, while also making them a target to other enemies

5 hours ago, (PS4)Saobie3 said:

you'd think so but hitting enemies for 50m in every direction is pretty insane

6 hours ago, FAZZWARFRAME said:

i can honestly not tell you.

the times i do use it for saryn there is way too many damage numbers to make anything out of it. ( Not even sure if its the hikou damage that you're seeing as the 250 or if thats the spore damage)

and when im not using it for saryn im using this build 

qAoTUKa.jpg

which i have yet to properly test out for damage cuz its new

1 hour ago, Grimlock84 said:

you'd think so but hitting enemies for 50m in every direction is pretty insane

i can honestly not tell you.

the times i do use it for saryn there is way too many damage numbers to make anything out of it. ( Not even sure if its the hikou damage that you're seeing as the 250 or if thats the spore damage)

and when im not using it for saryn im using this build 

qAoTUKa.jpg

which i have yet to properly test out for damage cuz its new

I dont even have a proper setup for mine, its barely modded at all.

Absolutely shredded lv100 Ancients while i was downed in Sortie (which happens a lot, past 15min is got crazy)

Hello! Not sure if you got what you were looking for but:

I used Hikou Prime exclusively since I started playing. I can take them up to 1 hour in t4 and they are still okay. 

I recommend you use a 2 forma build with the 4 required mods of multishot and damage, and of course concealed explosive. For the last 4, I generally go for corrosive build with fire and a MAX ammo capacity. I think you'd actually be more likely to get higher level kills if you use 2 dual status mods for the proc but that is just me. 

Concealed explosive I feel actually is mandatory. It is more for AOE than not for me. When I am running away from those high level enemies and don't/can't aim correctly you would be surprise how much damage you could get off. Also the main reason I think it is mandatory on all Shuriken weapons is that it makes them easier to bring down nullifier bubbles. About 4 seconds of constant throw will knock the nullifier down to the point where you can melee or primary them even at level 100. 

I own dread, kana, and the hikou prime and I honestly do think hikou prime is the best thrown because of throwing rate.