Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This MR 11 noob needs some advice

jv12468

Question

So I'm new to these forums, but not the game. I'm not here to brag, I'm going to explain my situation.

I'm halfway to MR 12.
I have 338 hours total gameplay time.
I now have all the planets unlocked.
I can't seem to make as much progress as I used to.

I've been trying to get Frost for the longest time (because you know, Frost.), but I never could get past any difficult planets (Sedna, Phobos    (yes I know, that's not good)).
I realized I had awful weapons. Intentionally, but nevertheless, I got better weapons. I now have all the planets unlocked. But with these weapons, I can't make almost any progress on these planets.

Now I've got no shortage of mods, but I have almost never gotten any catalysts or reactors from any games (mostly because I've been too timid to play any void missions and fail, to end up losing a key).
I'd love to play with my clan, however it consists of people who on average haven't been online to play in multiple months, and they haven't ever contributed with research. So I do it all myself. The owner of the clan upgraded the clan to a Shadow clan, which triples the cost of research. Even though he destroyed the Shadow barracks, the research amount hasn't changed.

FAQ's that I'm expecting:

MR 11??1!? What did u do to get there then??
I leveled up s*** weapons, and intentionally. I thought affinity gives higher MR, so why not level up bad weapons to get them out of the way? I understand now that I've made a big mistake.

y dont u just get ur friends online???
They either can't or don't want to, so I can't force them to play.

just buy some potatoes with your starter platinum. DUH.
Hoo, my starter platinum is long gone, so that's not an option anymore.

If you have ANY questions for me, please ask. I need help from people, so if you need clarification, then please ask whatever you need.

Thank you all so much for any help

On 9 June 2016 at 0:05 AM, bad4youLT said:

stop grinding in draco and start exploring the game :

do vault runs

build and use formas ( atleast its something if you got no potatoes )

do some research on mods and build ( get what you need )

acquire decent weapons ( soma / tonkor / tigris / sobek / telos boltor )

acquire decent frames what are good at surviving or dealing damage ( excal / valkyr / inaros / ivara / loki / trinity / chroma )

gid gud ( learn to parkuor / move fast around enemys , avoid taking direct hits )

acquire guardian / sanctuary / medi ray for your sentinel

max your mods 

Life strike ( tennos best friend )

*Cough* Furis

7 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

Good to hear that you haven't missed any of the Gift of the Lotus alerts and you have a tracker installed already.  

Well, at least once you hit MR 12, you can own syndicate weapons so something to look forward to.  For now, out of the weapons you've leveled, I think these are the strongest. Dex Sybaris, Hek, Ignis, and Soma.  Of course Soma Prime is an upgrade from Soma, but the regular version served me well through the star chart.  Ignis, Dex Sybaris, and Hek need some formas, but they are sorties viable.  Without forma, they can still get you through the star chart. Get the Steel Meridian syndicate mod Scattered Justice for Hek when you can to bring out its potential.  Since you're supporting PS, RV, and NL, you shouldn't have too much trouble trading syndicate mods for the ones on the other side.  I don't really rely on melee as much, but I find Atterax, Broken-War, Destreza, Jat Kittag, and Obex to be pretty strong and fun.  For secondary, you should check out (Vakyor) Marelok, Atomos, and Sonicor. I'm not mentioning prime stuff because it looks like you're saving the good stuff for later, which is a good approach to leveling up for mastery rank.  Definitely get your Serration and Hornet Strike a few more levels up, like 6 or 8.  You have a nice selection of frames so that's great.  Have you tried pairing frames with weapons?  Ignis + Saryn is a popular choice for example.

Looks like we're on the opposite of the world then so I doubt our connection will be stable enough to play but I'd be happy to give you a Flailing Branch for your Bo if you'd like.

Yeah I've come across some prime blueprints, but it's low priority to me. I want to be able to learn to use the non-prime weapons first.
I was actually just going through my old weapons and I looked at my old builds left over on them, and much cringe occurred. I fixed them up, and I'm now using a bunch of weapons that I used to think were awful.

I'm currently working on getting more credits to increase the ranks of my Hornet Strike and Serration mods.

I will so totally trade a Seismic Palm or a Defiled Snapdragon for a Flailing Branch.

6 hours ago, Tullaian said:

Since you mention you can't make progress it is definitely going to be a case of the mods you have not being high enough level and/or wrong mods. Plenty of weapons you mention you have are more than adequate for clearing the starmap solo. I say this as a newish player myself. (MR8 now , have unlocked all planets and killed all bosses solo in game except for Lephantis and Jordas Golem as haven't tried those 2 yet).

Case in point when I first ran into Sargas Ruk I fought him with a Vectis and a level 3 Damaged Serration and the fight took about 45minutes. If I fight him now with the exact same Vectis still without potatoe or forma but with a level 8 Serration and a couple of maxxed critical hit/critical damage mods the fight takes about 4-5 shots. the only difference (same frame/weapon/mods) is the level of the mods being equipped.

No problem soloing anything in T1/T2/T3 and some T4 , can usually solo the first and sometimes the second sortie mission as well. All pretty much using a Tiberon and Orthos Prime  (both with a potatoe but no forma). Don't even have a stance mod for the Orthos as those are a cruel myth (as are staff stances btw, definitely feel your pain there as my that and my Bo Prime is also stanceless). This just to say that these aren't particularly 'end game' weapons or hard to get even for a relatively new player and to encourage you to look at your overall mod power levels and setups. Definitely don't feel afraid of the Void, T1 is like level 20 so like Saturn level difficulty no reason at all not to give it a go. If you don't want to solo just post that you are hosting a game in Recruit chat guarantee you will get takers.

My biggest goal is to level up more mods. I just need more credits....
Thanks for the tips though. I have wicked internet, so I probably will be hosting some Void missions.

3 minutes ago, jv12468 said:

Yeah I've come across some prime blueprints, but it's low priority to me. I want to be able to learn to use the non-prime weapons first.
I was actually just going through my old weapons and I looked at my old builds left over on them, and much cringe occurred. I fixed them up, and I'm now using a bunch of weapons that I used to think were awful.

I'm currently working on getting more credits to increase the ranks of my Hornet Strike and Serration mods.

I will so totally trade a Seismic Palm or a Defiled Snapdragon for a Flailing Branch.

Nice to see that you're making progress now :D 

Also, I'm pretty sure most people would turn down that offer since we all have tons of those stances lying around xD

6 hours ago, xShun said:

Whats your regular mod setup for weapons and warframes? Just curious if you're also missing mods or have under leveled damage mods.

I'm leveling this new frame and secondary, but otherwise I recently have been going for high crit chance.
(I'll be posting pictures in a few hours, I can't get them to upload right now)

Edited by jv12468
Failed URL linking

6 minutes ago, Czygen said:

Nice to see that you're making progress now :D 

Also, I'm pretty sure most people would turn down that offer since we all have tons of those stances lying around xD

I figured they would be pretty common, but I have only one of each, I just don't need them at the moment, so I thought I'd go for it X-X

38 minutes ago, jv12468 said:

I figured they would be pretty common, but I have only one of each, I just don't need them at the moment, so I thought I'd go for it X-X

Well what you can do, is go do a few vault runs, get some good mods like Blind Rage, Narrow Minded, Fleeting Expertise, Transient Fortitude, Heavy Caliber and Overextended then either:

a) sell them for plat unranked, giving you at least 20-40p depending on the buyer and how much you're willing to haggle.

b) max them out, then sell them for larger prices, not sure what the range is right now so you should ask how much a maxed Blind Rage/Narrow Minded/Transient Fortitude goes for in your region. On a side note, some people will buy them at rank 6/7 or so, for specific builds. (Give or take)

Then you use said plat to get items you want, in this case Flailing Branch.

Disclaimer: Maxing said mods may require exponential amounts of credits and cores the nearer they are to max rank.

Edited by Czygen

30 minutes ago, jv12468 said:

Never ever trade mods you have only one copy of. Also try not to use duplicates to level up, especially the rare ones. You may not need them now, but at some point you may just want to try different melee and regret not having stance for it.

On 6/8/2016 at 3:31 PM, jv12468 said:

I'd love to play with my clan, however it consists of people who on average haven't been online to play in multiple months, and they haven't ever contributed with research. So I do it all myself. The owner of the clan upgraded the clan to a Shadow clan, which triples the cost of research. Even though he destroyed the Shadow barracks, the research amount hasn't changed.

The most important thing you need resolve is this clan problem.  A clan is meant to give you players to run missions with and it sounds like the one you are in is failing you in that.  If you have no great attachment to those people find a new one ASAP.

If for some odd reason you think you should stay in this clan then at the very least contact support about clan downsizing, assuming you did all the steps to do that and for some reason it did not work.  Solo funding a shadow clan will burn you out and you'll probably quit.

Others have addressed your other points in detail, but I'll bullet point some things for emphasis.

* Don't be intimidated by the void.  There is an endless supply of keys and you learn by doing.  Solo T1 ext, cap, sab to learn the tiles.  Use thief's wit or loot detector.  The recruiting channel is your friend for defense and survival.

* You don't need a lot of potatoes.   You need ONE powerful primary, secondary and melee weapon - this means you need THREE potatoes at this point in the game.  Of course your arsenal will expand over time but it doesn't "need" to.

* A rank 4 serration is simply unacceptable.  The same applies to hornet strike, redirection and vitality.  Maybe steel fiber depending on which frame you are playing most.  Rank these up to at least 8 and note that all of them at rank 8 is better than one at 10 and the others at 4. 

* Your list of weapons does include a few that are worthy of using long term and putting a potato on.  The Hek, Dex Sybaris, and Jat Kittag as examples.

11 hours ago, jv12468 said:

Haha, I know that feeling.  Every time I look at my old builds for weapons that I haven't used lately I cringe.  "What was I thinking?!" keeps popping up in my head.  Good to hear that you're working on leveling up your damage mods.  You probably know this but Akkad or other high level Dark Sector missions, sorties, and void captures are decent ways of getting credits.

Nah, don't worry about it!  I don't need or expect anything in return for the Flailing Branch.  Just give me an ammo drum or something.  XD