Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are people so rude trading?

xMaix

As the title says, i´m trying to sell something in the trade channel and people are so rude, no social skills, no negotiation, even blocking. I've being in warframe since it came out and the community in game is awesome, even in the forums we try to help everyone with problems, but for some reason, people doesn't know how to speak to each other or haggle when it comes to trading.

Usually, the conversation for me is as follow:

Me: WTS xxx

Other (Private): How much?

Me (Private): xxx plat

--------

Now this usually leads to no response at all, blocking me next time i try to talk to them or telling me the item i'm trying to sell is too expensive and then blocking me. Do you people stay with the price someone tells you? No one, and i mean NO ONE try to haggle, maybe exchange prime parts to discount the price or whatever.

Very few people said to me "not interested thanks" or "sorry i dont have that much plat, but thanks". Ok, they dont haggle too but at least they have courtesy and politeness, and that's what a conversation is about.

What do you think? It is only me or is trading a little impersonal these days?

Trading's full of people like that, many times I have ha d prices/offers ignored and they don't bother negotiating. what Irks me more though is people who FORGET TO CHECK THEIR GODDAMN SLOTS WHEN BUYING SYNDICATE WEAPONS! SERIOUSLY!!!

ahem- yeah, you'll meet plenty people who don't respond. the way I see it, they must not really need that Plat/Item after all, or else they would say something.

Most of these people are unsocial money-hags. They do not understand or care about bartering and do not add anything to the community. The good thing about them is that they will at some have so many people ignored that they exclude themselves from the game chat.

Edited by CrudShuzKong

The trade experience as always been nice for me, people almost always seems to be polite, even when they try to negotiate and I refuse. Even when a guy tried to sell me a Heavy Caliber insted of a Piercing Caliber (until this day I'm still not sure if this was due to his ignorance or this guy was trying to scam me)

Anyway, if this problem is a constant on your trade experience, maybe the problem coud be in your side of the road (?)

24 minutes ago, xMaix said:

What do you think? It is only me or is trading a little impersonal these days?

If you've ever worked a job in retail, most customers are impersonal. And because this is the internet where there's no communication on a personal level; its even even rarer to get people with common courtesy.

Personally, I like it because it keeps business short and direct to the point.

Edited by Alma_Elma

The trade tab is a little different than the bazaar. I think theres more trading going on there just with the simple "i can see something of value you're offering" because usually people wont ask and its a broad statement saying "what do you have thats worth xxxx" 

8 minutes ago, ElCorintio said:

The trade experience as always been nice for me, people almost always seems to be polite, even when they try to negotiate and I refuse. Even when a guy tried to sell me a Heavy Caliber insted of a Piercing Caliber (until this day I'm still not sure if this was due to his ignorance or this guy was trying to scam me)

Anyway, if this problem is a constant on your trade experience, maybe the problem coud be in your side of the road (?)

The example i wrote is how usually goes, i dont say anything more, just "xxx plat" or something like "xxx plat but i discount you xxx plat if you have this prime part i need" (I even haggle for them there...)

I dont think im the problem here, i'm writing this because i´m the kind of person who tries to be polite, not the other way.

7 minutes ago, Alma_Elma said:

If you've ever worked a job in retail, most customers are impersonal.

I like it because it keeps business short and direct to the point.

Yeah i worked with the public too and i now how awful people can be, but i dont agree with you in the second phrase. Yes business is shorter but at what cost, it's 1 millisecond of you time to say "no thx" instead of just banish.

Edited by xMaix

Just now, xMaix said:

Yeah i worked with the public too and i now how awful people can be, but i dont agree with you in the second phrase. Yes business is shorter but at what cost, it's 1 millisecond of you time to say "no thx" instead of just banish.

Personally, I say something when I'm not interested in a seller's quoted price/terms, and I usually give my customers the same courtesy when I'm not agreeing with their terms. It helps that they're not gonna bother me any further, unless they match my offers.

But, if I'm dealing with other people and they stay silent; I don't really mind; I've gotten used to it and its easier to take a rejected deal when its impersonal.

I don't see why trading should be personal. You've got something I want, I'm buying it, deal, just don't you dare scam me. At all. If I can't afford it, I grind more plat or I'll find another person that sells at a lower price. Simple as that. It's not the wet market where you can bargain and stuff. If you're jacking the price sky high like 120p for a buzzkill, I'm shutting you down, because that just proves you're a scammer.

25 minutes ago, xMaix said:

telling me the item i'm trying to sell is too expensive and then blocking me. Do you people stay with the price someone tells you? No one, and i mean NO ONE try to haggle, maybe exchange prime parts to discount the price or whatever.

Normally, no one would like to do business with people jacking the prices too high. It's often a take it or leave it situation. Plus, no one would expect someone who intentionally tries to scam people with a big price tag would be settled for a 50% discount for one prime part. If you're really trying to trade, lower the price. Never, and I mean NEVER, EVER try to push it.

4 minutes ago, Madho said:

I don't see why trading should be personal. You've got something I want, I'm buying it, deal, just don't you dare scam me. At all. If I can't afford it, I grind more plat or I'll find another person that sells at a lower price. Simple as that. It's not the wet market where you can bargain and stuff. If you're jacking the price sky high like 120p for a buzzkill, I'm shutting you down, because that just proves you're a scammer.

Normally, no one would like to do business with people jacking the prices too high. It's often a take it or leave it situation. Plus, no one would expect someone who intentionally tries to scam people with a big price tag would be settled for a 50% discount for one prime part. If you're really trying to trade, lower the price. Never, and I mean NEVER, EVER try to push it.

When i said "personal", i dont mean to be friends with them, just "thx or no thx" that's all, it's common courtesy at least to answer

I look for many Warframe Trade sites for reference prices so i'm not jacking the price sky high, just the usual for a required item. You are assuming a lot of things from my post and answering to it that i simply didn't say, like scamming, pls stay to the point.

42 minutes ago, xMaix said:

Do you people stay with the price someone tells you? No one, and i mean NO ONE try to haggle, maybe exchange prime parts to discount the price or whatever.

A lot of people dont want this. Me too. If i sell something i want platin and not other primeparts to sell o.O i really hate if people try to give me X Prime Chassis +20pl for my arcane fury (just an example). lol

Guys: sell your stuff get the platinum together and buy what you want but i dont want your parts! sell it yourself

Edited by -S-O-Kranker

Truth mate, I found trade chat to be the worst part of the entire game that I actively avoid if I can help it. I've been blocked multiple times for simply shooting down offers I didn't like, and I find it both comical and pretty sad that these people have such a lack of courtesy and social skills that they have to resort to that.

3 minutes ago, xMaix said:

The example i wrote is how usually goes, i dont say anything more, just "xxx plat" or something like "xxx plat but i discount you xxx plat if you have this prime part i need" (I even haggle for them there...)

I dont think im the problem here, i'm writing this because i´m the kind of person who tries to be polite, not the other way.

Hmmm, then... I wonder if this difference on the trade experience could rely on one sigle little thing. I usually put the price immediatly... So, to me just come people really interested on buy the stuff, or people asking me if i could low my price a little bit.

Btw (general talking)... People not answering isn't rude for me actually, and mistakes of not having free slots, or credits for taxes, or even enough MR are just mistakes, and not people trying to be a jerk or something like that.

Personally if i get a price that I don't like or if I can't afford I'll let the other party know about it.  I have had plenty of people ask for plat or prime parts, which I don't have either.  I might have been blocked (I don't know), but if I get blocked for a little thing like that then they're not worth it.  There is always a "DOWN THE ROAD" type of situation, where you might want something from them or the other party MIGHT ACTUALLY get plat or prime parts.  Just how I look at it! :)

5 minutes ago, ElCorintio said:

Hmmm, then... I wonder if this difference on the trade experience could rely on one sigle little thing. I usually put the price immediatly... So, to me just come people really interested on buy the stuff, or people asking me if i could low my price a little bit.

Btw (general talking)... People not answering isn't rude for me actually, and mistakes of not having free slots, or credits for taxes, or even enough MR are just mistakes, and not people trying to be a jerk or something like that.

I wonder if this has to be with a cultural thing. I mean, i'm from spain and i usually play the client in spanish, but the downside is the trade chat is only with spanish people, which is less people than a english client. My experience in spanish is not as bad as when i change the client to english because there is more people trading in it.

7 minutes ago, xMaix said:

it's common courtesy at least to answer

Because it's pretty much unnecessary. You offered too high, I can't afford it, so you're basically useless to me. Hell, people don't even talk in squad, so why would they be doing that in trade unless they're forced to? 

10 minutes ago, xMaix said:

You are assuming a lot of things from my post and answering to it that i simply didn't say, like scamming, pls stay to the point.

Because I could not possibly gather enough information from what you're offering, and you said it yourself that people often complain about your prices.

3 minutes ago, kubbi said:

I'd say thats bad luck. I usually have good trading experience. Rarely do I meet rude people.

Same case here. If it's not the problem with pricing, then it's probably just bad luck for you.

Just now, xMaix said:

I wonder if this has to be with a cultural thing. I mean, i'm from spain and i usually play the client in spanish, but the downside is the trade chat is only with spanish people, which is less people than a english client. My experience in spanish is not as bad as when i change the client to english because there is more people trading in it.

Could be, I play on the Asia server and people are mostly polite, but disregarding the offer you made if the price is too high is somewhat common. 

to be honest, my overall experience with the people of trade chat has been fantastic. I've been able to haggle and have been haggled, I've chatted with some of my buyers and sellers, and for the most part we always give a goodbye after the trade. I think saying all of trade chat is unsocial or rude is an overgeneraled statement that relies solely on personal experience

Last night, I ran into a pretty cool guy. He wanted my Argon scope for 100p (more than I've seen in my life). Me being me, I was short some 20k creds. He was cool about it, we got into a party chat and farmed a T2 cap. Afterwards, we wished each other a nice night, and that was that. Not everyone is a total jackwagon.

11 minutes ago, ArcherAz said:

to be honest, my overall experience with the people of trade chat has been fantastic. I've been able to haggle and have been haggled, I've chatted with some of my buyers and sellers, and for the most part we always give a goodbye after the trade. I think saying all of trade chat is unsocial or rude is an overgeneraled statement that relies solely on personal experience

I also had good experiences in trade chat. Usually when you are trading something in the range or 10 or 50 plat all is fine, people is polite and wish you good luck even. But, when you have something a little more expensive, like 100 plat or 200 plat the thing changes and people start to not responding and such, at least for me. 

I´m also have to remind one thing i said earlier. Everyone here may have a different trade chat, because is language locked, and region of course. So maybe Spanish trade chat is not the same as French, German, or English (England and USA). 

On another note, i think it could be a good addition to the game if we could trade chat with other regions too.