Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Build Questions

jjpdn

Question

Talking about going against Grineer: 

My ideal Nekros: fast, able to get around the map to Desecrate or use Soul Survivor, but still able to deal with groups of enemies with Terrify.

1. Is Overextended needed at all? I run everywhere anyways, and I would like my power strengh for his 2.

2. Is the slowdown Augment on his 2 useless in the grand scheme of things?

3. Is going for high armor reduction a bad build? Also, is the reduction permanent?

4. Shadow of the Dead scales horribly in terms of damage (enemy health with armor scales faster). So, should I build for it at all?

Edited by jjpdn

15 answers to this question

Just now, TrueHawkEye said:

It really depends on how you want to play him out in the open (tank like) or hidden in corners and pop out to attack (stealth like) or do you want him as a all around helper (desecrate and terrify)?

Nothing like those. I would like a character that's fast and get to places to Desecrate or Soul Survivor them, but still be able to deal with groups with Terrify. 

So, some kind of balance between all the four power stats (but I need max effiency). 

1: Overextended is only needed if you are running a Desecrate build  

2: The slow augment is worth if you are building purely for Terrify

3: The reduction only lasts as long as the duration, you can go for an armor reduction build you either have to sacrifice range or duration.

4: If you get the Shield of Shadows augment then yes it is worth building for. 

31 minutes ago, jjpdn said:

4. Shadow of the Dead scales horribly in terms of damage (enemy health with armor scales faster). So, should I build for it at all?

The point of shadows is not to kill high-level enemies. At high levels, the point is to get damage reduction, and to avoid damage by getting some of the enemies to attack the shadows instead of you. You can kill mobs at low and mid levels with it, but at higher levels it is mainly for survival.

33 minutes ago, jjpdn said:

1. Is Overextended needed at all? I run everywhere anyways, and I would like my power strengh for his 2.

This is fine. You don't actually need to desecrate enemies 2 rooms over if you don't mind running around. If you are purely desecrating, then go for 235 range or better. But if you're going for a mix of roles, Stretch and maybe Cunning Drift are fine.

34 minutes ago, jjpdn said:

2. Is the slowdown Augment on his 2 useless in the grand scheme of things?

The problem is that Nekros already needed way too many mods to be good. Building him was hard before he had a shiny new augment. As cool as that slow may seem, if you want to desecrate and kill and use shadows you just won't have room for another augment. Stick with Despoil and Shield of Shadows and you'll be just fine.

32 minutes ago, jjpdn said:

Nothing like those. I would like a character that's fast and get to places to Desecrate or Soul Survivor them, but still be able to deal with groups with Terrify. 

So, some kind of balance between all the four power stats (but I need max effiency). 

i might have some build you might like than i have a build with out forma i was running before i formaed him

1. what ever aura you like, vitality maxed, fleeting expertise maxed, fast deflection 3 points (your choice liked it because shields come back fast), despoil maxed, primed continuity (if not continuity will do) maxed, natural talent maxed, stretch maxed, soul survivor maxed.
  2. with 3 forma had a 3 dashes, 1 d and 1 v. corrosive projection, power drift, vitality, fleeting expertise, fast deflection, despoil, prime continuity natural talent, stretch, soul survivor.
  3. what i have been running lately is the following corrosive projection, handspring (to get up faster after getting knocked down) health conversion (for the extra armor buff of 1350 then stack is maxed) fleeting expertise, vitality, despoil, primed continuity, natural talent, stretch, soul survivor.
  4. or corrosive projection, health conversion, equilibrium, primed continuity, despoil, transient fortitude natural talent, vitality, soul survivor
Edited by TrueHawkEye
added 4th option

4 minutes ago, TrueHawkEye said:

i might have some build you might like than i have a build with out forma i was running before i formaed him

1. what ever aura you like, vitality maxed, fleeting expertise maxed, fast deflection 3 points (your choice liked it because shields come back fast), despoil maxed, primed continuity (if not continuity will do) maxed, natural talent maxed, stretch maxed, soul survivor maxed.
  2. with 3 forma had a 3 dashes, 1 d and 1 v. corrosive projection, power drift, vitality, fleeting expertise, fast deflection, despoil, prime continuity natural talent, stretch, soul survivor.
  3. what i have been running lately is the following corrosive projection, handspring (to get up faster after getting knocked down) health conversion (for the extra armor buff of 1350 then stack is maxed) fleeting expertise, vitality, despoil, primed continuity, natural talent, stretch, soul survivor.

Holy crap that Health Conversion thing looks epic. Time to go scan stuff again. 

Gosh though, these are all really good answers... will have to choose at some point I guess.

Thanks guys!

4 minutes ago, jjpdn said:

Holy crap that Health Conversion thing looks epic. Time to go scan stuff again. 

Gosh though, these are all really good answers... will have to choose at some point I guess.

Thanks guys!

added a fourth option if you like, it adds more people up to 31 i think and a armor of 31% armor reduction

Edited by TrueHawkEye
fixed numbers and percent

I don't know a way to make a good overall nekros build. The most useful I can probably make him would be focused on desecrating and use is 2 in tough situations to get teammates back on their feet.

He is quite squishy overall. No high armor or high shields. As long as your teammates protect you, you can probably rely on health conversion. Shield of shadows on its own is just not enough to keep you alive in higher levels and armor and shields are quite low.

The augment for terrify is great if you want to use the ability more often, but you don't want the enemies to run away as much. Most armor reducing abilities don't work very well in high level content (at least that's my experience). In any case you want some power strength, so you actually hit most of the enemies around you.

I also don't like playing nekros without natural talent. Desecrate needs to be used often enough to justify using natural talent and then you have shadows of the dead, which will kill you way too often without natural talent.

1 minute ago, gluih said:

I don't know a way to make a good overall nekros build. The most useful I can probably make him would be focused on desecrating and use is 2 in tough situations to get teammates back on their feet.

He is quite squishy overall. No high armor or high shields. As long as your teammates protect you, you can probably rely on health conversion. Shield of shadows on its own is just not enough to keep you alive in higher levels and armor and shields are quite low.

The augment for terrify is great if you want to use the ability more often, but you don't want the enemies to run away as much. Most armor reducing abilities don't work very well in high level content (at least that's my experience). In any case you want some power strength, so you actually hit most of the enemies around you.

I also don't like playing nekros without natural talent. Desecrate needs to be used often enough to justify using natural talent and then you have shadows of the dead, which will kill you way too often without natural talent.

well if you can switch a mod for health conversion you can gain 450 armor per stack for a maximum of 1350 (3 times) while picking up extra health. the armor buff last till you get hit, when hit you have 2 seconds before you lose another stack. You will still lose all your shields and a bit of health anywhere from 15-100 health depending on the level of the enemies and when you got hit by. If you get if my a level 60 bombard you can lose 80-120 health if your stack is full. Level 100+ you tend to lose 150-300-450 health on any hit sometimes the rare 1 hit death.

if you dont have natural talent, you can use the prisma shade if not shade will do, You can used the ghost when you near enemies you go invisible where you have a small window to used desecrate but do not shoot or else you will break the ability. Worst case you can used naramon skill to go invisible.

1 minute ago, TrueHawkEye said:

well if you can switch a mod for health conversion you can gain 450 armor per stack for a maximum of 1350 (3 times) while picking up extra health. the armor buff last till you get hit, when hit you have 2 seconds before you lose another stack. You will still lose all your shields and a bit of health anywhere from 15-100 health depending on the level of the enemies and when you got hit by. If you get if my a level 60 bombard you can lose 80-120 health if your stack is full. Level 100+ you tend to lose 150-300-450 health on any hit sometimes the rare 1 hit death.

if you dont have natural talent, you can use the prisma shade if not shade will do, You can used the ghost when you near enemies you go invisible where you have a small window to used desecrate but do not shoot or else you will break the ability. Worst case you can used naramon skill to go invisible.

My experience is that you lose all stacks after you have taken damage 3 times. It doesn't matter if the damage happens within 3 seconds or not. After 3 seconds all your stacks will be gone. I haven't done a lot of testing with this, but when doing missions I was often surprised how quickly the stacks were gone.
What it comes down to is that in its current form the mod doesn't work as a reliable defense. You just take damage way too often. When it is at full stacks, the armor you get is extremely high. It's better than any other defense you can have as nekros. So if you can actually use it or not depends on the team you are running with and if they can help you avoid the damage.

I never considered using shade. I mean desecrate is about getting more loot, so carrier is basically must have. The big problem with desecrate isn't actually that you die using it. It's more that it takes way too long if you don't have natural talent. You spend so much time standing around waving your hands over dead enemies. You just can't keep up with your team in most missions and you also lose a lot of drops when the enemies disappear before you can desecrate them. And I don't think naramon would work well either. It's already hard enough to keep the combo counter going, especieally in a group. Add spending half your time desecrating and it gets even worse.

Just now, gluih said:

My experience is that you lose all stacks after you have taken damage 3 times. It doesn't matter if the damage happens within 3 seconds or not. After 3 seconds all your stacks will be gone.

This is a known bug, many people have complained about it. I recently heard that it may have been fixed, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet. Until this gets fixed the mod is considerably less useful than it should be.

Btw, consider using Equilibrium on Nekros, along with QT and Flow. It's really easy to fill up your energy after you take a big hit. I prefer it to Rage, because when I'm taking damage I'm usually full health anyway. It's after I take a lot of damage that I need energy. Thus: Equilibrium.

24 minutes ago, gluih said:

My experience is that you lose all stacks after you have taken damage 3 times. It doesn't matter if the damage happens within 3 seconds or not. After 3 seconds all your stacks will be gone. I haven't done a lot of testing with this, but when doing missions I was often surprised how quickly the stacks were gone.
What it comes down to is that in its current form the mod doesn't work as a reliable defense. You just take damage way too often. When it is at full stacks, the armor you get is extremely high. It's better than any other defense you can have as nekros. So if you can actually use it or not depends on the team you are running with and if they can help you avoid the damage.

I never considered using shade. I mean desecrate is about getting more loot, so carrier is basically must have. The big problem with desecrate isn't actually that you die using it. It's more that it takes way too long if you don't have natural talent. You spend so much time standing around waving your hands over dead enemies. You just can't keep up with your team in most missions and you also lose a lot of drops when the enemies disappear before you can desecrate them. And I don't think naramon would work well either. It's already hard enough to keep the combo counter going, especieally in a group. Add spending half your time desecrating and it gets even worse.

Well they fixed that problem now its at intervals of 2 seconds between stacks. Yes they tend to disappear fast but if you get a sniper or bow or something the clears the room fast you can maintain that stack. I agree with you in defense is really useless since they come towards you in waves and you can't really hide anywhere from getting shot. Yet it will give you a window to survive when the bombards hit the frost globe.

Well if you have animal instincts on you can see the loot around you for 11 meters, yes it not perfect but its something. Shade can give you a small window but it not big. If you mod you melee to crit or have manning strike which gives you 90% chance to crit while doing a slide attack you will always be invisible, except for that few seconds to find another enemies to strike. If you have shadow step maxed it give you 16 seconds of invisibility, just watch out for the crossfire you can still get hit while invisible. You don't need the combo if you have the critical chance that is high enough you will always go invisible when you crit. i usually run with the mios since it has nice range and crowd control. Well with out the natural talent it really hurts takes anywhere from 4-6 seconds to desecrate but with natural talent is about 2 or 2.5 seconds.

Hello tenno! This is my Nekros, He is built to follow a hydroid with pilfering swarm, so he is squishy but that's ok because the hyroid I run with slays everything almost instantly anyways. However I noticed when in tight spots because my range is maxed out! So is the range on terrify! Be sure to check him out let me know what you think & enjoy tenno!