Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Farming for Stormbringer

Xterpin

Question

15 answers to this question

I wouldn't try getting it from Defense. The wiki shows it as a 2% drop chance reward from Corpus defense missions with level greater than 20. Stormbringer is also a .28% chance drop from Ballistas (I'm wondering whether this is accurate), so that's not much help either. It seems like the best place to go would be to spy missions. I think any spy would do, just make sure to get all the vaults (it doesn't matter whether the alarms go off in the vault or not).

Of course, if you pm me while I'm in-game I'll give you one for free, or if you need tips on doing spy missions I can help you there as well.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Nukerxero123 said:

I got it on my first day.

Was it a damaged version? Because you can get a damaged one from Vor's prize, but I doubt you got a normal one on your first day.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Was it a damaged version? Because you can get a damaged one from Vor's prize, but I doubt you got a normal one on your first day.

It's very possible, considering the drop rate. Just fight the right faction and bam, you may even get it in one mission.

14 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I wouldn't try getting it from Defense. The wiki shows it as a 2% drop chance reward from Corpus defense missions with level greater than 20. Stormbringer is also a .28% chance drop from Ballistas (I'm wondering whether this is accurate), so that's not much help either. It seems like the best place to go would be to spy missions. I think any spy would do, just make sure to get all the vaults (it doesn't matter whether the alarms go off in the vault or not).

Of course, if you pm me while I'm in-game I'll give you one for free, or if you need tips on doing spy missions I can help you there as well.

I think I've gotten most of mine from defense honestly. Then again I pretty much live in Akkad when I get a new frame to level it. 25 waves takes a new frame to 15(+/-) ranks without melee (which gives more affinity, +18% I think?) And no booster.  And you get about half that every time after. It is stupidly simple and safe to do with a tonkor or other explosive weapon. You can do the same thing in Earth if you are just starting out at that dark sector defense too.

I like spy missions, but I know many others hate them. Also they run the risk of getting credit caches which are relatively useless (you get more by running a 5 wave dark sector and leaving), where as a defense mission gives keys and mods which you can use as fodder for others.

Edited by Wopel

8 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

It's very possible, considering the drop rate. Just fight the right faction and bam, you may even get it in one mission.

See, that's the thing. I thought so, too, but the Wiki is making it seem much rarer. The only Grineer unit that drops it besides Ballistas is Sprag and her sister, and those aren't in normal missions. Ballistas - according to the Wiki - have a low drop chance. So how are they common?

Edited by Lord_Azrael
spelling

I would try running void sabotage. Stormbringer shows up in the drop tables for the bosses you have to kill in there.

Most of the basic mods aren't really worth farming for, but this actually looks promising. Gonna do some runs myself and see how many I get and maybe update this post.

-Tried it out and it seems like since they aren't actual bosses they don't have a 100% drop chance. This makes it a lot less effective than I was hoping. It's still worth a try tho, since you are getting the rewards from the sabotage run anyway. In T1 and T3 sabotage you are fighting grineer, so you get 2 bosses so double the chance/run. Apparently desecrate doesn't work on the bosses, no idea about ivara and hydroid. When you do this also try to get all the resource caches for a second reward.

In the end it's probably easier to find someone who can give it you for free.

Edited by gluih

2 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

See, that's the thing. I thought so, too, but the Wiki is making it seem much rarer. The only Grineer unit that drops it besides Ballistas is Sprag and her sister, and those aren't in normal missions. Ballistas - according to the Wiki - have a low drop chance. So how are they common?

I only have 18 of them and most of them probably come from spy missions. I don't know how high drop chanes generally are, but 0.281 doesn't seem very low compared to other mods. Problem is also to find a Ballista. Btw spy is probably also a good idea to run if you want the mod. You get a lot of other nice stuff in there- ivara parts, dual stat mods, void keys, other nice mods like covert lethality.

3 minutes ago, gluih said:

I only have 18 of them and most of them probably come from spy missions.

I have 23 spares, and I know for a fact that I've fused quite a few of them. For a while I was fusing them every time I needed to rank a dash mod. But I can't for the life of me say how I got them.

Anyway, most high MR players will give away the basic mods without pause (and so will I), so feel free to ask. It's not charity or cheesing, it's just the way things work. I got help when I started, so I help other players who are just starting.

5 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I have 23 spares, and I know for a fact that I've fused quite a few of them. For a while I was fusing them every time I needed to rank a dash mod. But I can't for the life of me say how I got them.

Anyway, most high MR players will give away the basic mods without pause (and so will I), so feel free to ask. It's not charity or cheesing, it's just the way things work. I got help when I started, so I help other players who are just starting.

+1 to this.

Most of us remember what it was like trying to do anything useful before we had good gear. Lacking mods is one of the most frustrating things because they are so critical to being able to really play the game effectively but you need to play effectively to really farm for them in a systematic way. Be polite, and don't be cheeky asking for ranked mods or gold stuff but I've happily handed out serrations and elemental mods a few times. 

Keep your eye out for Orokin Catalysts too; that's a huge deal for a new player. Getting that first good weapon that you can turn into a work horse for the next few months is a huge deal. Even just a Braton can carry you a long way. I still have my original Braton (with a caty and six forma, but still) and while it's not something to take to a t4 it's fine for anything on the star map and that'll get you void keys and rare resources and be something that you can be useful with while you grind out mastery to get the monster weapons.

7 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I'm also not playing that long. The problem is that the only enemy that drops them and that shows up in regular missions are ballistas and those don't show up that often and probably also not everywhere.

14 minutes ago, gluih said:

I'm also not playing that long. The problem is that the only enemy that drops them and that shows up in regular missions are ballistas and those don't show up that often and probably also not everywhere.

Ballista show up pretty regularly on all the grineer maps past the starting planet if I remember correctly (the only time I remember them being scarce was defense missions?) You definitely see them during invasions quite often.

You have to remember RNG is fairly "fickle," one person's experience can and will often be, quite different to another's. As soon as you don't want/care they will seemingly be all over. It is more a matter of perception vs what is actually happening. They are definitely more common than say, regular Manics...

Edited by Wopel