Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek vs Vaykor Hek

Sweaty_Pleb

Question

6 answers to this question

- if you don't have primed ravage maxed, pick either one, both will serve you good. (i still prefer the vaykor variant, because of 2x bigger magazine)

- if you have primed ravage maxed, vaykor hek just deletes the regular one.

p.s.: vaykor hek doesn't need primed mods to do good, especially if you compare it to the regular hek - primed point blank is a mod that you equip on both, so doesn't make any difference.

also, the raw damage values are better on the vaykor hek with primed ravage, and you can aim for crit headsots to get even more.

2 hours ago, Tomppak said:

the syndicate mod takes up a mod-slot on the regular hek that you could otherwise use for something else.

Kinda wrongheaded when comparing the two - V Hek needs (Primed)Ravage and Blunderbuss, Hek needs Scattered Justice, so there's really more spare slots on the regular.

I use both - Scattered Hek for sorta easy mode with a max damage build (no Seeking Fury) for hipfire oneshotting stuff - the same kind of scenario you'd take a 4 shot Sancti Tigris to, but Hek's a little more user friendly.  V Hek, on the other hand, is what I take for more try hardsy stuff, or, alternately, for lower level easy mode stuff where it'll still one shot without bothering to aim, and the bigger mag makes it even more user friendly.

If you're new (and I'm probably going to do this on my wife's account, so some bias here), I'd strongly recommend going with a Hek.  Much lower mastery requirement, and only one primed mod required.  The other thing I'm considering for my wife's account is an augmented and Acid Shells Sobek - explosions everywhere, and still pretty decent damage, and you can't beat that utility.  Long reload, but with 20 rounds in the mag and Seeking Fury, it's really not a big deal.

Both are, out-of-the-box, fantastic weapons.  Personally, I have and use both.  Generally, here's the guidelines I adhere to when selecting between them.

Hek w/Scattered Justice

• Better on enemies with hard-to-hit Critical locations (Primarily Infested)
  • Works better in the absence of Blunderbuss and (Primed) Ravage
  • Has a better chance of dealing status damage due to additional multishot from the mod
  • Has better non-crit damage, making it more effective against targets with Object health (blunts, ramparts, destructible objectives)
  • Not as hurt by Vicious Spread since it doesn't rely on crits for damage - so long as the pellets land somewhere on the victim, you're good
  • It and its mod are obtainable and equippable by MR4

Vaykor Hek

• Better on enemies that have obvious Crit locations (Grineer, Corpus, many bosses); requires more careful aim
  • Works better with Blunderbuss and (Primed) Ravage
  • Cannot use and does not require the Scattered Justice mod
  • Doubled magazine size means it can bust Nullifier shields and still have a round left to kill the Nullifier itself if you pace your shots
  • Hurt more by Vicious Spread; the mod is still useful, but you have to balance the additional damage versus the fact that fewer of your pellets are going to land on a Critical location
  • Requires MR12 to obtain & equip

In short, the Hek's easier to use, but not as versatile.  If you've got a good eye for crit locations and a willingness to get close enough to perform surgery with a shotgun, or you're fighting a boss like Lephantis with big obvious "SHOOT ME HERE" spots, bring the Vaykor Hek and it'll do positively unholy amounts of damage.