Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe & GTX

.corvon.

Question

extreme salt alert, proceed at your own risk and sanity

I've been kind of sick of this for a while now. Ever since I got a new GPU(previous was AMD Radeon 720 or something around that, and I found out it was pretty much an ancient card, so I decided to get a new one through amazon, so this one is definitely not fake), warframe has run pretty poorly, and frequently causes a complete pc crash. My current one is an Nvidia GTX 680, which should technically run warframe a lot better.

Ironically, my old one ran warframe like a charm but it couldn't run newer games which is part of why I replaced it.

additional information:

my rig(except my GPU) is completely AMD.   when my pc crashes the cause is most often 'memory_managment', which is a bit ridiculous considering I have around 6-4 ram. I'm not sure if this is because of inadequate power supply, or something else. I can't really afford a new graphics card right now anyways, so..

pls help m9s

Is the OS running in 32 bit or 64 bit? I mean it as no offense, but the game recently has some memory leaks and some textures that don't unload in some areas like the relay, derelict, and Uranus occasionally. Most of what we can do is in the launcher, enter the launcher's options setting (A little gear symbol top right) and inside deselect Direct 10 and multithead rendering though it can help for frame rates, it tends to bog down match load times on many systems. If the system is 32 bit, we can't make the out of video memory issues go away - according to the logs, stuff like the emblems from players and some other textures are getting loaded directly to video memory and not unloading and so overloading the video memory - it will happen on 64 bit OS as well but takes longer due to the higher memory limit.

2 minutes ago, Konga said:

When AMD and GTX are together, conflict is inevitable. :|

+1

NVIDIA doesn't play well with anything other than Intel. But not sure if you made a typo, 6-4 RAM, what does that mean, how much RAM do you have exactly?

So many questions to ask :/

Did you do a clean install of your video drivers?

What is your system specs? - Power Supply included

What is 6-4 RAM? Do you have 6, or do you have 4?

Have you done any stability tests to ensure your components are at fault?

I would suggest you do a few things:

First, run a system memory test:
Follow these steps: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/test-your-ram-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/

Then run any of these stress tests:
Download: http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/
^You want to run the memory burner, and core burner test. There is also a CPU burner, run that for a few minuets. 

thanks for the advice everyone(not a giant techie)

i don't know all of my specs, etc, but I can clear what I can up since I'm on my phone.

-I'm pretty sure i have 4 ram but it could be higher.

-64 bit, for sure

-I have 4 cores, multithreading shouldn't cause an issue

-not sure what a clean install is, but when downloading the driver I did select the standard download option. I don't mess around with custom download most of the time 

-i'll get to specs when I can, busy today

-no, haven't done any stability tests. however, my computer does just seem to have problems with multitasking and/or memory in general. for example, when customizing my operator my pc will randomly freeze up, usually crashing the whole thing. or in chrome, when browsing through pages with lots of ads the screen will just freeze, which somehow fixes itself after turning the monitor on and off. my computer really shouldn't be this troubled considering it's not a potato.

-i'm a moron and didn't realize amd ran poorly with nvidia. everything in my computer, including my motherboard is and so i'm pretty screwed over.

1 hour ago, Konga said:

1 hour ago, Ambiroa said:

+1

NVIDIA doesn't play well with anything other than Intel. But not sure if you made a typo, 6-4 RAM, what does that mean, how much RAM do you have exactly?

Umm... No, they seem to get along just fine on my system.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840(3.2 GHz, quad core)

RAM: 8 Gb Crucial Balistix Sport(1866, CL9)

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 650Ti OC with 2 Gig of GDDR5(Asus Tweak running mild OC on it all the time)

I'm very happy with my rig. It runs any game I install at 1080/60 or better* all day without breaking a sweat. I have never had any major issues running Warframe with it. The one exception was with a recent update(17.5 or 18 if memory serves) that caused choppy frame rates and black screens, but that was nothing more than an outdated driver.

OP - I would try to get the latest driver and see what happens after that. If you're still having problems, a RAM upgrade is pretty cheap. Get a nice matching chip set of RAM. 8Gb+ is recommended(4 2 Gb sticks or 2 4 Gb sticks). AMD and Nvidia may be separate or competing companies, but they have to be compatible when push comes to shove at a hardware level.

*Older games run even faster. My best was Counter Strike. I managed to get 4096x2160(4k) at 120hz with all of the settings at max. The card got a little warm, though.

Edited by DCypherThis13
Typo that may have casused some confusion

(while I test this stuff I had a pretty off-topic question(gmod-related).)

has anyone still encountered the 0/100% complete bug w/ props after deleting their css files? after deleting them props spawned perfectly fine for a while, and now it's happening again.

1 hour ago, TheMetrocop said:

thanks for the advice everyone(not a giant techie)

i don't know all of my specs, etc, but I can clear what I can up since I'm on my phone.

-I'm pretty sure i have 4 ram but it could be higher.

-64 bit, for sure

-I have 4 cores, multithreading shouldn't cause an issue

-not sure what a clean install is, but when downloading the driver I did select the standard download option. I don't mess around with custom download most of the time 

-i'll get to specs when I can, busy today

-no, haven't done any stability tests. however, my computer does just seem to have problems with multitasking and/or memory in general. for example, when customizing my operator my pc will randomly freeze up, usually crashing the whole thing. or in chrome, when browsing through pages with lots of ads the screen will just freeze, which somehow fixes itself after turning the monitor on and off. my computer really shouldn't be this troubled considering it's not a potato.

-i'm a moron and didn't realize amd ran poorly with nvidia. everything in my computer, including my motherboard is and so i'm pretty screwed over.

- 4Gb RAM is very low for today's standard, but I think it should be able to run WF if you have nothing else running that uses a lot of RAM.

- Check if you have 64 bit, because with only 4Gb RAM, it might be a bit wonky.

If you can spare 30 bucks, add another 4 to your RAM, or 45 bucks for another 8.

Download and install this free tool "speccy", when you launch it, it will show you all your specs, from the type of components all the way to how much it's using while whatever you have open and running at that moment.

Hello

Download the lastest version http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Should be 16.1.0.1

Select clear and reboot.

Select first AMD and press clear and reboot.When you back after the reboot do the same with Nvidia.

Then your PC is completely clear from any sort of videodrivers.Then install the Nvidia driver.

When installing the driver choose advanced installation.Only check the driver and physx.Uncheck the rest.You dont need normally the other stuff.

When your problems still remains its not the videodriver then.

Edited by K0bra

quick specs update:

GeForce GTX 960*(got the numbers mixed up before)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 4 GB RAM (3.97 of which is usable)

1360 x 768, 60Hz

Nvidia driver version 368.81

W10 Home

Edited by TheMetrocop

28 minutes ago, TheMetrocop said:

quick specs update:

GeForce GTX 960*(got the numbers mixed up before)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 4 GB RAM (3.97 of which is usable)

1360 x 768, 60Hz

Nvidia driver version 368.81

W10 Home

Your rig is an order of magnitude(or 5) better than mine. You should not be having the trouble you are experiencing. I would look into your drivers and some more RAM.

My CPU is way older than yours(it's almost 5 years old) and my GPU is at least 4 generations old*. I'm using a toaster compared to you...

*I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64, for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, DCypherThis13 said:

Your rig is an order of magnitude(or 5) better than mine. You should not be having the trouble you are experiencing. I would look into your drivers and some more RAM.

My CPU is way older than yours(it's almost 5 years old) and my GPU is at least 4 generations old*. I'm using a toaster compared to you...

*I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64, for what it's worth.

ordered ram sticks on amazon which should be here on saturday. with that order i'll have 16gb ram total which should prevent crashes.

i'll update this with the results when the time comes.

8 hours ago, TheMetrocop said:

This isn't true. Don't know where the posters above got this info. You can run any kind of hardware with each other. However, ironically, it's an AMD + AMD set-up that tends to have issues due in part to (for gaming at least) AMD's drivers. But even then, this isn't a hardware issue as it is a software issue.

You should follow these steps for doing a clean install of your drivers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2ha3q9/howto_fresh_driver_install_for_new_gpu_or_any/
^Download your latest driver first though, it saves you the hassle since your screen will be very low rez. Pick them up from Nvidia's site

After this, it's just a matter of testing your system to see if it is stable. It shouldn't be crashing, especially when using a web browser.

6 hours ago, TheMetrocop said:

ordered ram sticks on amazon which should be here on saturday. with that order i'll have 16gb ram total which should prevent crashes.

i'll update this with the results when the time comes.

Ok, now I'm going to dump some knowledge about RAM and motherboards on you.

I have never bought a brand name PC. I have always built them from scratch with hand selected parts. With that being said, RAM is offered in a variety of flavors. In my original reply I said that I have 8 Gb of Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM. The numbers after that were the RAM's clock speed and latency. The reason I mentioned it was because I made sure that all of my RAM chips were matching; having the same speed, latency and size(4 2Gb chips). On my motherboard, I have 4 RAM slots, all of my slots are full.

Did you check to make sure that the RAM that you ordered matches your current RAM in all of the statistics? I'm assuming that you have 1 4Gb chip in the system right now. If you bought the machine from a known manufacturer, there is a significant possibility that you have 1600MHz, CL11 RAM. This may or may not cause problems when you install the new chips if the new chips are faster; for example, 1866MHz, CL9 latency. In most cases, faster RAM will need a higher voltage to run at the increased clock speed, so if the motherboard detects that a slower(read lower voltage) chip is attached to the board, it may reduce the power output to all of the chips to protect that slow chip. Basically, you will not be getting the performance you are paying for out of the higher performance RAM. This will not do any damage to the new RAM.

In a worst case scenario, the machine will not boot up after installing the new chips. The BIOS(Basic Input/Output System) runs a quick test when you power the machine up. It's called the POST(Pre Operating System Test/Pre Operating system Self Test). In rare cases, like the situation I encountered a few years back, the POST will detect a fault in one of your RAM chips and fail to boot. The fix is to remove the slow chip and run just the new RAM. I did spend almost 3 days working on this issue when it happened to me, so I'm passing the information on to you, just in case. This is a VERY rare situation and I have only seen it once out of the dozen or so PCs I have built over the years.

Now, let's talk about motherboards. Again, I'm going to make a few educated guesses. I going to assume that your motherboard has 4 RAM slots. This is ideal for a quad-core processor. Each core has it's own RAM slot to use*. When I look at my motherboard, I see that the RAM slots are color coded, 2 white and 2 blue. It's kind of important to keep this in mind when you are installing RAM. The matching color slots are paired, so if I am only installing a total of 2 chips in my system, I would put the RAM in the white slots only(slots 1 and 3 in my case). If your motherboard is not color coded(or you are color blind) the slot closest to the CPU is slot 1. Sometimes the board will be printed the the slot numbers next to each one. This gives the processor predictable upstream and downstream pathways, as well as being able to use both chips reliably in one direction for faster loading times. I mention this in the event that you have trouble with a RAM conflict after installing the new chips. I know that this may not be what you want to hear, but if you can't get things to work properly with 4 or 3 RAM chips, just run 2 matching chips in paired slots. You may find that this will be faster than running 3 chips. Processors can be a bit picky at times about the RAM configuration.

I feel that this is worth mentioning as well. As far as I know most versions of Windows will not recognize or use more than 8 Gb of RAM. There are fixes out there for this issue, but it is a rather advanced process that could damage or corrupt your system. I do not recommend trying this, I have not done this to any of my machines and I don't feel that it is worth the risk.

*I know, call me superstitious, but I feel that my PCs run better with a RAM chip for each core.

TL:DR

Spoiler
  • Make sure that all of your RAM is matching in speed, size and latency
  • If you have problems pull the old chip out
  • If the issues persist, pull out one of the new chips and run the remaining pair in paired RAM slots
  • Most motherboards are color coded, if not the slot closest to the CPU is slot 1, sometimes they are numbered
  • Don't panic if it doesn't work. You can always revert the machine back to it's current configuration without hurting anything

so earlier I updated my driver and downloaded another one as well to help me run newer games. suprisingly warframe runs pretty well now, but it still crashed once which I should expect(warframe only crashed, not the computer itself. derelict missions are hell). loading times can stil be a bit shoddy at periods, but nothing bad. when my new ram comes it shouldn't have any problems or crashes since a game meant to run on 16gb of ram minimum would be the biggest bs in the world.

needless to say I can feel the idiocity and shame running through my veins right now.

I think I asked because i'm a safety-bob, and don't like potentially screwing crap up without finding a safer way.(i'll still update the thread once i test my ram out, though.)

2 hours ago, TheMetrocop said:

needless to say I can feel the idiocity and shame running through my veins right now.

Why? If you're not a techie, you're not a techie. And you don't have to be one to play and enjoy games. Asking help on here is the best thing you can do and did, you got help, and solved a big part of your problem. Nothing to feel idiotic or shame about.

That increase in RAM will definitely help you, seriously, you will notice it right from the moment you hit the on button hehehe. I went from 4 to 16 as well, and became slightly emotional when I noticed my pc suddenly blazing through stuff, it was a beautiful moment. Your GPU is way higher generation than mine, so graphically, you can set all on max (I think/hope). It just need the RAM to be sufficient to keep up with anything else. 

6 hours ago, DCypherThis13 said:

I feel that this is worth mentioning as well. As far as I know most versions of Windows will not recognize or use more than 8 Gb of RAM.

Yes. If we take Win 7 as an example.

Home Basic 64-Bit has a max of 8GB RAM.
Home Premium 64-Bit has a max of 16GB.

Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate can go all the way up to 192GB.

Edited by Rambit23Z

4 hours ago, TheMetrocop said:

I think I asked because i'm a safety-bob, and don't like potentially screwing crap up without finding a safer way.(i'll still update the thread once i test my ram out, though.)

Don't worry about it. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

19 hours ago, Konga said:

It is with drivers. Not joking about this, either. They do NOT play well together if any bits and pieces are still hanging around--and they probably are. This is one reason I tend to advise sticking to one vendor or the other when upgrading. You avoid these issues.

You have to use a driver cleaner to get every last bit and bob off your system when jumping from red to green or vice-versa.

The game doesn't require 16gig of RAM (though, it's not a bad idea going forward). I have WF running on two boxes; one a Win7 64 machine with 8gigs of RAM, one a Win10 machine with 16gigs of RAM. They both run it fine (one is 7 years old, the other one year old). I did (briefly) run WF on a very old machine with 4gigs of RAM. It was stable, but the box was clearly overwhelmed with the game (i5 750/260GTX) and I only attempted this briefly (basically to retrieve extractors and websurf while a new GPU was on the way).

Upgrading is a fundamental fact of life in PC gaming. Anything you reasonably do going forward will improve your gaming experience.

knawledge.

but seriously guys thanks for all of the suggestions and information(even though yanno uh all I needed to do was update my driver). regardless when I get my ram and have any issues I'll consult this thread.

I'm running cpu's little brother (the 955) and only 6gb of ram and have had no problems with Warframe, Only difference is that I'm using a Radeon card. Since others have made all the suggestions I would, I'll just mention that you should dig up your motherboards user manual and double-check what size memory sticks it supports. The board I got when I bought my cpu only supports 2GB per stick, so don't be surprised if you have problems getting the new memory to work.

On 7/22/2016 at 0:02 AM, MillbrookWest said:

However, ironically, it's an AMD + AMD set-up that tends to have issues due in part to (for gaming at least) AMD's drivers. But even then, this isn't a hardware issue as it is a software issue.

I've run multiple AMD systems since 2005 and never had any issues.  So, your AMD + AMD drivers statement is kinda false.  Before 2005 it was definitely true.  :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
correction

*cough* whoops totally didn't poof *cough*

as not expected god i'm really a sad being why do i doubt everything oh boy woe is me i better go emo the new ram has really helped me out a lot. no lag at all.

i found out i did actually have 2 4gb sticks installed but one must of burnt out when i saw the decrease in performance a long while back.

46 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

So, your AMD + AMD drivers statement is kinda false.

AMD's drivers are very single threaded. Many devs have alluded to this, Digital Foundry have reported this, even Warframe had issues with this - Going so far as to forcibly disable DX10+DX11 for AMD users for a time:

It's not a crippling issue, and i never said they were crippling issues, but an issue is still an issue. 

This, coupled with the fact they released hardware that focused on multithreading (their FX line) meant that by comparison, the drivers were an issue when paired with their own hardware. Ergo, my statement that AMD + AMD is ironically a worse pairing. Even AMD use Intel CPU's on their own website when quoting metrics.