The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Codex Art Contest 3.0

[DE]Megan

Here's my entry. Im coming back to the game after a 2 year hiatus and everythings so shiny and new. Decided to go with a rhino stomp + peacemaker, and a slow mo loki flying through the air for maximum John Woo-ness

but yea, Warframes are really fun to paint. Can totally see painting more of these guys in my down time :D

warframe___bang_bang_bang_bang___by_thed

24 minutes ago, theDURRRRIAN said:

Here's my entry. Im coming back to the game after a 2 year hiatus and everythings so shiny and new. Decided to go with a rhino stomp + peacemaker, and a slow mo loki flying through the air for maximum John Woo-ness

but yea, Warframes are really fun to paint. Can totally see painting more of these guys in my down time :D

Oh my goodness that is amazing. I wanna try making something for this contest but I know there's no way I can top anything like this. Great job!

Edited by Scarachus
grammar.

37 minutes ago, theDURRRRIAN said:

This is absolutely gorgeous.  I will die if this doesn't make the 20. 

url]pTHGgCo.jpg

Imgur messed up the image by adding the pixelated outlines, but there isn't really anything I can do about it :/

Basically, the idea is the synergy between the Warframe and the weapon. After all, what's a tenno without one? I hope the blood doesn't go against the guidelines, but oh well, I guess. Anyway, I'm probably not gonna win with the AMAZING art here, but I suppose I don't have anything to lose, right?

Edited by thatguy0365

11 hours ago, theDURRRRIAN said:

O_o

This is absolutely fantastic. I'd love to have this in my liset!

On 8/4/2016 at 11:48 PM, (PS4)ginjer_ninjer said:

Yeah, I have the Wacom Bamboo Tablet, but mine is really old and I've used all of the nibs up. But, the good news is I'll be getting a new tablet soon(ish) with a new pen and nibs. I'll get the Cintiq 13HD. Looks really cool and I hope I'll be able to use it to my best ability. I really like that it has a screen, and from the reviews I've read, it seems like a pretty good tablet.

Oooh, excellent choice. I've been running with the Intuos 5 for a while and I really like it, but I've been really curious about Cintiqs. I've heard that it's amazing, and that you don't realize how much mental dissonance there is working on one surface and looking at another until you try it.

No idea if that's actually the case. I plan on running my Intuos into the ground, though, like I usually do. But once it starts breaking down I'm gonna give a Cintiq a shot.

The Bamboo was my first tablet, and I loved that little thing, but I loved being able to work on a larger surface. I imagine you will, too.

13 hours ago, theDURRRRIAN said:

Lovely Magic: The Gathering feel on this one, with the composition and choice of color.

Impressive things there, especialy theDURRRRIAN; man, your art is awesome!

So, here's my entry. To me, the greatest synergy is between frame and operator; fighting together, suffering together, two wills, advancing as one through the same struggle. I like also especially the picture of the little girl taming a monstruous killing machine, and that special relationship which develops between them.

mu7BcuX.jpg

Medium: mechanical pencil, 0.5mm HB for original drawing, and LOTS of computer work (background, smoke trails).

Inspiration is from a picture form the "Jabberwocky" manga (somewhere around the end of chapter 11; have a look, it's interesting). The Lato is taken from in-game screen capture.

Link:http://imgur.com/a/9vLT2

Full size:http://imgur.com/a/Or6eS

2 minutes ago, cy3glater said:

I've gotta say, all of these posts are amazing... and my post is trash lol

Don't be discouraged by the skill of others; everybody starts somewhere. Art is work! But if you keep practicing and pushing your boundaries you can do amazing things.

14 hours ago, LupusDraconis said:

Just now, LupusDraconis said:

Don't be discouraged by the skill of others; everybody starts somewhere. Art is work! But if you keep practicing and pushing your boundaries you can do amazing things.

Thanks, all I want right now is someone to teach me how to actually draw as well as they do because these people are amazing.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:13 AM, theDURRRRIAN said:

Oh my god... Please... Please teach me your  ways... I'm serious by the way.

23 minutes ago, cy3glater said:

Thanks, all I want right now is someone to teach me how to actually draw as well as they do because these people are amazing.

There's three keys to improving at art.

1) Just draw. Any time you draw, doesn't matter what, you are improving your hand-eye coordination, you are thinking creatively, and you are getting practice. The more you draw the better you get. It helps to balance out drawing things from real life with drawing things from your head; you want to do both.

2) Push your boundaries. Don't draw the same thing over and over in the same way. Don't avoid drawing something because you don't know how to draw it. Meet challenges head on, dive into things. if you don't know how to do it, do it anyways and you'll learn. It's better do do it and make mistakes and improve than not do it because you're afraid of mistakes.

3) Study. Read books by professionals, find tutorials online. Save references and things you find inspiring. Learn composition, anatomy, perspective, light and shadow, color theory, principles of motion and animation. Read these things, learn these things, and practice these things. If you find something that you really love, try to distill it and figure out how the artist did it. Analyze things that you love and figure out why they work. Analyze things you dislike and figure out why they don't work.

Here's some books to get you started, these are my personal favorites and the ones I find the most useful:

Burne Hogarth - Dynamic Figure Drawing, Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery, Dynamic Anatomy
 (Take the anatomy with a grain of salt, the men are all super defined muscular and the women are all super exaggerated proportionally, but the principles are great)

George B Bridgman - The Human Machine, Constructive Anatomy, Book of a Hundred Hands

Ken Hultgren - The Art of Animal Drawing

James Gurney - Color and Light, Imaginative Realism

Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit

Howard Schultz - Athlete

There's also tons of tutorials online by people like Steve Ahn, Mike Corriero, James Gurney, and RJ Palmer all over the internet, and especially on sites like Gumroad.

You can also always take art classes, especially if you can afford it. You don't need them, especially if you're good at self discipline and self motivation, but if you have no idea where to start they can be really useful.

Edited by LupusDraconis

1 minute ago, LupusDraconis said:

There's three keys to improving at art.

1) Just draw. Any time you draw, doesn't matter what, you are improving your hand-eye coordination, you are thinking creatively, and you are getting practice. The more you draw the better you get. It helps to balance out drawing things from real life with draw things from your head; you want to do both.

2) Push your boundaries. Don't draw the same thing over and over in the same way. Don't avoid drawing something because you don't know how to draw it. Meet challenges head on, dive into things. if you don't know how to do it, do it anyways and you'll learn. It's better do do it and make mistakes and improve than not do it because you're afraid of mistakes.

3) Study. Read books by professionals, find tutorials online. Save references and things you find inspiring. Learn composition, anatomy, perspective, light and shadow, color theory, principles of motion and animation. Read these things, learn these things, and practice these things. If you find something that you really love, try to distill it and figure out how the artist did it. Analyze things that you love and figure out why they work. Analyze things you dislike and figure out why they don't work.

Here's some books to get you started, these are my personal favorites and the ones I find the most useful:

Burne Hogarth - Dynamic Figure Drawing, Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery, Dynamic Anatomy
 (Take the anatomy with a grain of salt, the men are all super defined muscular and the women are all super exaggerated proportionally, but the principles are great)

George B Bridgman - The Human Machine, Constructive Anatomy, Book of a Hundred Hands

Ken Hultgren - The Art of Animal Drawing

James Gurney - Color and Light, Imaginative Realism

Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit

Howard Schultz - Athlete

There's also tons of tutorials online by people like Steve Ahn, Mike Corriero, James Gurney, and RJ Palmer all over the internet, and especially on sites like Gumroad.

Might I add these to the list:

Learn to Draw - Reddit

ctrlpaint  - Digital painting tutorials. Go here after you have your traditional fundamentals down

Proko on Youtube Drawing tutorials 

Istebrak Drawing and painting tutorials (she also does private lessons that are very affordable)

1 minute ago, Nionvox said:

Might I add these to the list:

Learn to Draw - Reddit

ctrlpaint  - Digital painting tutorials. Go here after you have your traditional fundamentals down

Proko on Youtube Drawing tutorials 

Istebrak Drawing and painting tutorials (she also does private lessons that are very affordable)

Excellent! If anyone else has resources they would like to add, please do!

On 5/8/2016 at 5:13 PM, theDURRRRIAN said:

Yup i'll buy the poster xD That's is absolutely amazing. Beautiful composition! Love it!