Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Power Carriers don't make no sense

Bibliothekar

If you think about it, it doesn't really make sense for random dudes to walk around with batteries on their back just so that we can keep our excavators powered. So my suggestion would be to change those enemies a bit to make them more believable within reason.

• Mutalist Carrier Ospreys seem pretty okay as they are. Those things have a habit of picking stuff up, so why not random energy cells as well? Maybe have small stacks of (unusable) energy cells lying around in the corner.
  • Corpus Power Carriers might be better if they were a variant of Fusion Moas, that carry the energy cell instead of an Osprey to power their laser.
  • Grineer Power Carriers ... well, we know that the Grineer are working to have energy weapons, so why not give them a jury-rigged laser weapon similar to the Spectra that's powered by a fat battery pack?

11 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

If you think about it, it doesn't really make sense for random dudes to walk around with batteries on their back just so that we can keep our excavators powered. So my suggestion would be to change those enemies a bit to make them more believable within reason.

• Mutalist Carrier Ospreys seem pretty okay as they are. Those things have a habit of picking stuff up, so why not random energy cells as well? Maybe have small stacks of (unusable) energy cells lying around in the corner.
  • Corpus Power Carriers might be better if they were a variant of Fusion Moas, that carry the energy cell instead of an Osprey to power their laser.
  • Grineer Power Carriers ... well, we know that the Grineer are working to have energy weapons, so why not give them a jury-rigged laser weapon similar to the Spectra that's powered by a fat battery pack?

Mutalist Carrier Osprys are good as they are, I agree, but there are too many of them to leave down to pure coincidence. I reckon that random infested should just have a power core embedded into their flesh, which they've simply grown around, on top of Mutalist Osprys.

Corpus Carriers --> Fusion MOAs. Yes.

Grineer Carriers --> LaZoRz. Yes.

Also faction specific skins for grineer and corpus energy cells, for the sake of lore and immersion. Corpus could retain the current one, but Grineer and Grineer-based infested would need their own unique power cells.

27 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Excavation is a highly flawed mission mode. The fact that it's the only place these Excavators show up is problem one. That the enemy mobilizes the ONE UNIT whose stuff we need is tactical idiocy. And the quick scale up of enemies is absurd.

Excavation needs a rework just to make it not laughably bad.

10 minutes ago, blackheartstar_pc said:

Really? In my experience this difficulty ramp up and team work are what make Excavation missions fun.

Ramp up is ok. It's the speed at which it happens on Excavation missions. Bombards on Earth at two Extractors, or maybe three.

Maybe it's just that the whole scaling up to run me out of missions is wearing thin for me...

2 hours ago, Thural said:

that's a double negative

58 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

Double negative.

Gee, thanks for pointing that out ... You want a cookie, or what?

FYI, in some languages, a double negative can be used to intensify the negation. English is one of them. Read up on negative concord.

1 hour ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Excavation needs a rework just to make it not laughably bad.

True. Firefall had a similar mechanic where you could deploy an excavator and had to defend it against attacking wildlife that got rallied up by the vibrations. You just had to keep the drill alive, which took enough work in the higher-level areas, until it was full - or you could interact with it to send it back up prematurely and save what you had so far. If it got destroyed, not only did you have to build a new (quite expensive) excavator, but you also got no stuff from it. I wonder if you could do something like that in Warframe ... have the excavator call-down as a gear item that can be used in any non-Extermination outdoor mission. Want to play Sabotage on Earth and dig up an artefact or two as you're already there anyway? Go ahead and do it. Maybe we could get a new type of landing craft that has excavators as call-down ... hm ...

3 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

FYI, in some languages, a double negative can be used to intensify the negation. English is one of them. Read up on negative concord.

True. Firefall had a similar mechanic where you could deploy an excavator and had to defend it against attacking wildlife that got rallied up by the vibrations. You just had to keep the drill alive, which took enough work in the higher-level areas, until it was full - or you could interact with it to send it back up prematurely and save what you had so far. If it got destroyed, not only did you have to build a new (quite expensive) excavator, but you also got no stuff from it. I wonder if you could do something like that in Warframe ... have the excavator call-down as a gear item that can be used in any non-Extermination outdoor mission. Want to play Sabotage on Earth and dig up an artefact or two as you're already there anyway? Go ahead and do it. Maybe we could get a new type of landing craft that has excavators as call-down ... hm ...

I miss Thumping. Those were the days...I badly wanted Firefall to make it....

Warframe needs to make Excavation work like this. It would be a huge improvement over the current, nonsensical setup.

56 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Words mean things. A double negative is a negation. Period.

I don't envy people learning English as a second language, but it is what it is. And negative concord is purely self-justifying claptrap...like ebonics. It's improper usage and muddles clarity in expression. It's to be avoided, not justified by wool-headed revisionism.

Edited by Sloan441

24 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

Words mean things. A double negative is a negation. Period.

I don't envy people learning English as a second language, but it is what it is. And negative concord is purely self-justifying claptrap...like ebonics. It's improper usage and muddles clarity in expression. It's to be avoided, not justified by wool-headed revisionism.

That don't make no sense, what you just said there...

21 minutes ago, Thural said:

It doesn't make sense for you, you have to make your own sense out of it

It was a joke. Sorry.

Hauling as I do from the American Deep South, I assure I'm well acquainted both with double negatives and the various counter intuitive nuances of American English across many of its more common dialects. I pity those attempting to learn it. They've my condolences.

so many mission types ingame make ZERO logical sense 

why run at us carrying life support packs after turning the air off? just lock the doors 

why run after us carrying the batteries required to power our mining drills? 

IMHO survival as a mission type could still include the turning off the air part, but not as the core mechanic, but just as another of many ways for the enemies to harrass us, similar to the lockdown system 

for example, the survival-type missions should be about assaulting a massive military complex or super capital class ship while your 'operatives' raid another nearby logistics dump, then during the survival/assault it makes sense for the enemies to be almost limitless and coming after your head-on atk non-stop, then the enemies could attempt to thwart the tenno by turning off the air or locking down blast doors that would need to be hacked or destroyed ; say instead of having the 'collect lifesupport' you instead just had 10 minutes to break thru several barricades and then hack a few terminals to have it restored until the enemies did it again in a few minutes ; this could continue nonstop with all kinds of mobs and turrets attempting to kill you along the way [IMHO all enemy factions need more turrets/defenses, lik srsly, even tho the ramparts complete invul from the front is dumb, should just be like 90-95% flat DR instead] 

excav missions should have a unique tile somewhere on the in the mission that is a massive generator with mobile power units, being of course guarded by horded of enemies, thus whenever a drill comes down, then you have to not only defend the drill, but you also have to fight to get to the generator and retrieve a power core, and then make it back to the drill, this system would probably mean that one core should be enough to power a drill to completion, and then the ratio of enemies could be adjusted accordingly ; but at least the enemies would be attempting to PREVENT you from getting the power that you need instead of actively running and 'delivering' it to you 

there are several other 'layers' that could be added to each of these potential 'endless' mission styles/types, but this is just what i came up with in the few mins that i spent typing this [ie the enemies attempt to sabotage their own power generator to prevent you from using it, thus requiring a shift in your defensive strategies, or having the drills used in excav be required to be created similar to the drones that we use to harvest from planets {although this sounds super-grindy, they could be re-useable if not destroyed, and/or this could require a shift in resource/material drops/costs}, survival missions on-board ships would also be another great place to incorporate a violent decompression and release the tenno into space thus transferring the mission to arghwing temporarily while the tenno fight outside and try to get back inside the ship or the mission could just transistion to another AW-style and finish up that way, the expulsion to arghwing mode could actually be a transitional-failure state as a way to end the mission prematurely, kind of like a failure to keep going but not a complete failure type of thing]

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

1 hour ago, bubbabenali said:

Maybe the enemies want to power their own excavators? But the greedy Tenno won't let them get that tasty cryotic...

Nice idea for a excavation rework. Reach the cryotic target before the enemy does. 

But @OP i've always wondered the same thing. If they want to defeat us, they don't have to send bursas and nullifiers and combas. They just need to kill their own battery carriers. DERP.