Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

8 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Please remember that this is not a place to discuss datamined content! It's not fair to players who don't want to accidentally read (potential) spoilers about upcoming content - theories only, please. Thanks! :)

after waiting all this time, id honestly rather have it spoiled to me, at least then I'll have something to be excited for.

1 minute ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

You're free to spoil it for yourself. Just don't go around spoiling it for everyone else by posting it all over the forums.

I won't spoil anything for anyone else, but in the future, de really needs to just stop with this secret nonsense. I hope they never ever hold onto something that's been ready for months on end to save them for some stupid long in development secret project ever again.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

I won't spoil anything for anyone else, but in the future, de really needs to just stop with this secret nonsense. I hope they never ever hold onto something that's been ready for months on end to save them for some stupid long in development secret project ever again.

If something is spoiler-ridden or heavily work-in-progress, then the Devs aren't going to not keep it a secret. Proposing they just reveal everything, to be frank, is unreasonable, especially to those that do not want to know until it is all finished and ready. You're free to be dissatisfied with that, but the fact of the matter is that while Umbra itself was ready, virtually everything else about it for the global build was not.

I think what most people wanted was for DE to simply say: "Yes, we're working on Umbras and they're coming in U19/U20/etc..." "We can't tell you how because spoilers/story/gameplay/whatever reasons.".
Most players would simply stop asking for Umbras, they would focus on theories/ideas about how are they going to be introduced and they would get really excited for that big update. 

Instead, people are annoyed at the possibility of Umbras not being in the War Within because a lot of people think they're coming in this next big update... DE could have avoided all that by saying exactly when they are going to add them to the game, without spoiling anything regarding how.

29 minutes ago, LeaserResael said:

I think what most people wanted was for DE to simply say: "Yes, we're working on Umbras and they're coming in U19/U20/etc..." "We can't tell you how because spoilers/story/gameplay/whatever reasons.".
Most players would simply stop asking for Umbras, they would focus on theories/ideas about how are they going to be introduced and they would get really excited for that big update. 

Instead, people are annoyed at the possibility of Umbras not being in the War Within because a lot of people think they're coming in this next big update... DE could have avoided all that by saying exactly when they are going to add them to the game, without spoiling anything regarding how.

but id rather have it as a surprise turn of events then spoiled. i mean the whole operator thing was secret and it turned what our concepts of warframe on its head 

if umbra(s) are to have the same impact it goes to reason they would keep it hushed for the same effect (hype sells ...)

in all honesty i find the speculation/discussion more fun. but realistically as the mod suggested, that while our umbra poster boy is done, the content to be released with him was not, thus development and creation/implementation is time consuming... granted its been some time, but weve had major reworks/updates to the games mechanics in that time to cure some of the long standing problems/issues? many new/old players have griped about well before umbra(s) were even a twinkle in de's eye 

1 hour ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

but id rather have it as a surprise turn of events then spoiled. i mean the whole operator thing was secret and it turned what our concepts of warframe on its head

if umbra(s) are to have the same impact it goes to reason they would keep it hushed for the same effect (hype sells ...)

in all honesty i find the speculation/discussion more fun. but realistically as the mod suggested, that while our umbra poster boy is done, the content to be released with him was not, thus development and creation/implementation is time consuming... granted its been some time, but weve had major reworks/updates to the games mechanics in that time to cure some of the long standing problems/issues? many new/old players have griped about well before umbra(s) were even a twinkle in de's eye

I wouldn't call the operators "turned on its head" I was more like "oh, I have a kid now... Ok." these surprises are dumb

2 hours ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

If something is spoiler-ridden or heavily work-in-progress, then the Devs aren't going to not keep it a secret. Proposing they just reveal everything, to be frank, is unreasonable, especially to those that do not want to know until it is all finished and ready. You're free to be dissatisfied with that, but the fact of the matter is that while Umbra itself was ready, virtually everything else about it for the global build was not.

So....no more rubber gloves?

3 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

The thing is... we already know about Umbras, it's like if China would have received the operators and then we would have to wait for DE to add them to the global build...

It's not a surprise, we already know about Umbras' existence, so all they have to do is say when are they coming (I don't care if they release them on U20, but it's been a year already since we saw Exca Umbra, at least they could tell us when and keep the how as the surprise).
We don't need to know how obviously, it should be a surprise. I'm all for being surprised, but in this case, as we already know about Umbra thanks to the China build, the only surprise it's going to be how they are introduced in the game, so saying when could make everyone stop asking.

Edited by LeaserResael

Well again,  I think the release if Umbra hinges on War Within. Maby it allwas did.

When the story progresses, the nature of Warframes will be revealed,  then Umbra will follow.

- unless Umbra indeed is part of Ww somehow. But I find it more plausable that Titania will be in the quest.

I think a part of the rage is that its been almost half of a year since our last major update and its starting to get frustrating find a full squad for sorties and alerts and what not.

We are just looking for more content to be released and umbra would give a lot of people hope if they can pull off another SD style reveal. We have had warframes and concepts and quests that have been mind blowing before. Frames like Chroma and Equinox were very much a shift from the norm. Even the devs said that making equinox was like making two frames in one.

We are wanting the next big thing and the fact that the releases so far for u19 have been underwhelming and bug latent doesn't help.

I have heard many fellow tenno saying that this is kind of a last straw thing for them (umbra). Also it might help  fix what many people didn't like about SD

13 hours ago, LeaserResael said:

-snip-

6 hours ago, Nashucus said:

-snip-

I personally see a sincere lack of empathy as another problem regarding the topic of Excalibur Umbra (specifically Excalibur). Steve has stated that he understands players are anxious about him. Given recent events, I'm not entirely sure that's true, though to be completely honest, I've felt this way since a few months after it began. If he truly understood the playerwide longing for Excal Umbra, we wouldn't be hearing the same answer on a constant basis; instead a message actually assuring.

What I'm most personally bummed out about is what seems to be an unshared interest, seen almost transparently at TennoLive 2016. I swear to god if Sheldon didn't say "within a cycle of months", Steve would have continued to stutter and sweat eventually leading to a possible nervous breakdown on stage (he himself went on to "around the corner"). The entire "discussion" at the event was just awkward and uncomfortable, and it didn't help when Geoff said literally the same thing he once had before on a devstream; "We have plans for Umbra", obviously after a struggle to find any words, let alone the "right" ones. All of this just bums me out as it seems DE doesn't care about the individual frame as much as many players do. I mean no disrespect to DE, trust me, though I feel whenever the word comes up, Steve sighs and thinks "Not this s*** again". It didn't help when Rebecca asked, "But it's this year, right?", and went entirely unanswered. Though, all of this stuttering and gaps between words may very well be careful prowling so as not to avoid spoiling something that possibly has had a lot of work done on it. This thought seems to be only wishful thinking however.

I want Excalibur Umbra to be released in the War Within; I want him to look exactly as he does in the Chinese build; I want to finally own an upgrade to Excalibur who happens to be one of my few most played frames (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this no matter what anyone says). Will any of these desires be fulfilled? Who the hell knows, I just want all of them to happen (which is expecting too much). 

Edited by LazerSkink

11 hours ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

I mostly agree, but this is a kind of particular and delicate matter. 

I mean, I'm glad we haven't been spoiled at all with the operator stuff before Second Dream, but  in order to have that we also have NOT been sort-of-teased either. 

It's not like we have been shown the operator in January 2015 just to have it in game a year after. 

So, while I agree that things should not be spoiled for whatever reason, I also feel like the Umbra issue is really going on for too long and it's completely different from the operator, which we had no idea of. 

We've been teased with Umbra, intentionally or not, over a year ago, so it's not like we want DE to spoil every secret, but we'd probably like secrets to be actual secrets or no secrets at all. 

Unfortunately, this whole situation has turned into:"Hey, see this? It's Umbra Excalibur! Now, can you please completely forget about it for about a year or as long as we find a way to release him and also possibly act surprised when we eventually do?". 

I don't blame DE, let's be clear, I'm just trying to justify the community attitude here. 

Edited by siralextraffo

4 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

I personally see a sincere lack of empathy as another problem regarding the topic of Excalibur Umbra (specifically Excalibur). Steve has stated that he understands players are anxious about him. Given recent events, I'm not entirely sure that's true, though to be completely honest, I've felt this way since a few months after it began. If he truly understood the playerwide longing for Excal Umbra, we wouldn't be hearing the same answer on a constant basis; instead a message actually assuring.

What I'm most personally bummed out about is what seems to be an unshared interest, seen almost transparently at TennoLive 2016. I swear to god if Sheldon didn't say "within a cycle of months", Steve would have continued to stutter and sweat eventually leading to a possible nervous breakdown on stage (he himself went on to "around the corner"). The entire "discussion" at the event was just awkward and uncomfortable, and it didn't help when Geoff said literally the same thing he once had before on a devstream; "We have plans for Umbra", obviously after a struggle to find any words, let alone the "right" ones. All of this just bums me out as it seems DE doesn't care about the individual frame as much as many players do. I mean no disrespect to DE, trust me, though I feel whenever the word comes up, Steve sighs and thinks "Not this s*** again". It didn't help when Rebecca asked, "But it's this year, right?", and went entirely unanswered. Though, all of this stuttering and gaps between words may very well be careful prowling so as not to avoid spoiling something that possibly has had a lot of work done on it. This thought seems to be only wishful thinking however.

I want Excalibur Umbra to be released in the War Within; I want him to look exactly as he does in the Chinese build; I want to finally own an upgrade to Excalibur who happens to be one of my few most played frames (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this no matter what anyone says). Will any of these desires be fulfilled? Who the hell knows, I just want all of them to happen (which is expecting too much). 

1000% agreed....from just looking at Steve and the devs during Streams they are stressed too stressed if I was a doctor Id tell them to take a couple days of. The devs health is much more important than umbra or anything being added to this game really.

though I do think that Steve understands that we want it but really just doesn't care and doesn't want to piss us off.

6 hours ago, siralextraffo said:

I mostly agree, but this is a kind of particular and delicate matter. 

I mean, I'm glad we haven't been spoiled at all with the operator stuff before Second Dream, but  in order to have that we also have NOT been sort-of-teased either. 

It's not like we have been shown the operator in January 2015 just to have it in game a year after. 

So, while I agree that things should not be spoiled for whatever reason, I also feel like the Umbra issue is really going on for too long and it's completely different from the operator, which we had no idea of. 

We've been teased with Umbra, intentionally or not, over a year ago, so it's not like we want DE to spoil every secret, but we'd probably like secrets to be actual secrets or no secrets at all. 

Unfortunately, this whole situation has turned into:"Hey, see this? It's Umbra Excalibur! Now, can you please completely forget about it for about a year or as long as we find a way to release him and also possibly act surprised when we eventually do?". 

I don't blame DE, let's be clear, I'm just trying to justify the community attitude here. 

Exactly my point. We didn't see the Operators a year before they were introduced to us, so that was a susprise (good or bad, it doesn't matter) because we didn't know anything about it. Umbras on the other hand, we saw them (or it) a year ago, and they keep pushing away the subject without saying anything specific.
Like already said, I for one don't care if they release Umbras in U20, but I do want to know WHEN to expect them, instead we are in this place where we know they exist, we know they will come to the global build, but we don't know when and how.
DE's messages about Umbras didn't help either, they could avoid all this by simply saying when are they adding them, without having to tell us how or in what context.
But here we are, a year later with no solid information and a lot of people expecting to see Umbras in the War Within... If they are not in that update, a lot of people will be highly dissapointed.

Edited by LeaserResael

They did say that they needed to get U19 out so that they can finish Umbra and move on to other things. 

That sounds to me now that I think about it, very much like they have done considerable work on Umbra, but can not show us untill after U19 have been released in full.

If it were simpler and without a plan, they could just release it quickly and be done with it. And what would be the point of dragging it out without a plan?

So here's my hope.

The plans for War Within was so big that they realized Umbra HAD TO be posponed. And for reasons that I hope have direct links to what we learn in War Within,  they won't tell us.