The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

4 hours ago, XaxalShiba said:

The issue is that Umbra has been a consistent emphasis amongst both DE and the community for months. Quite literally, the only thing that can end the back and forth is an Umbra release with a date. Even if it has to be delayed for QC, it would pretty much do away with the amount of uncertainty/unknown surrounding it.

That's all I want TBH, I just want to know an ETA so I can mark it down on my hype calendar 

5 hours ago, XaxalShiba said:

Patience has been running thin. But it should be interesting, if they want this to be a big lore event. 

We don't exactly have much else to go by for our next big lore event besides the fact that it is coming.

After two months...?

Wow that is sad. They only confirmed they were planning to bring us Umbra post U19 once they figured out what they wanted to do with it... Aka lore, mission ext.

Last I checked U19 hasn't even dropped yet anyways.

8 hours ago, Rehtael7 said:

BE PATIENT. Wait to see what DE does with Umbras.

Be patient. I was, at first. But after nine months, this sentiment has gone from from running thin, to outright snapping. DE have said they're not working on him because they have "other stuff" to work on and in a game like WF there will ALWAYS be stuff to work on, so by that definition, they can use that excuse indefinitely.

We all want to hear and see what DE are going to with Umbra's and that is the precise reason why most of us are getting a little impatient right about now. We have had nothing. Zero. Sculch. Apart from DE's repeated "Umbra's are coming." Which has kind of become synonymous with "We're too scared to say anything."

I don't know where this unbearably naive belief that "They're working on it" comes from, considering they have clearly stated they aren't.

23 minutes ago, Martin_Widow_Maker said:

this Friday  is april fools day,
i think they will a joke whit this
to insert the humbra DE need a good story
I think the patience give as a good surprise

It doesn't take nine months to come up with a "good story" for one frame.

The more they delay, the higher the expectations. They've painted themselves into a corner.

so let me throw some things out, more of  a recap really, to be clear to those who seem .. unaware and keep throwing the "be patient, wait, w8, " on a thread meant to discuss this very topic. which has a very large fan base if the post /views say anything.

lets roll back the clock, the community has been waiting for a Excalibur variant that is a direct upgrade to the vanilla version since the 1st of November, 2013. this is the EXACT day Excalibur Prime was made unavailable to the community( went off market). 1 year later warframe made its way to consoles, who never had the chance to receive or purchase founders packs. so they(we, me..ect)  NEVER have had the opportunity for an Excalibur variant beyond the basic vanilla.

Now roughly 8-9 months ago china released a variation for there own founders pack called "Excalibur Umbra Prime" 

this new development brought about a massive surge of players becoming enraged, many of the player base have been asking for a non prime buff to poster boy for some time.

now De and changyou have a 30 day exclusivity for china content, which then must be tweaked, altered to fit to the global builds setup.(coding it to work) 

after the 30 day exclusivity many players assumed it would drop within a few weeks,or a month. 

during a dev stream, De staff mentioned that they want to bring more to the table ,regarding the umbra variants then just Excalibur, they are going to do a new line of warframes and develop specific implementation and lore, these frames will be the "dark/warped versions of the frames we know and love" that has their own specific drop system( and hopefully passives, but thats my opinion....)

before the umbra warframes project got off the ground, it was shelved to get us the second dream..Since then De has made significant changes to the game for development purposes.

sound, graphics, movement, damage...... ect to improve the game as a whole have taken precedence

now, we have "sands of inaros", and de is supposedly working on a large cinematic quest for this year to rival the second dream with no umbra in sight.... after roughly 2 years of waiting for a variant to excal after rime. thats 2/3s of warframes existence, more then half a year has passed with zero info on the very frame that solves the dilemma, along with further adding warframe diversity and and new mechanics as the other umbras will solve the same issue as it proved a alternative, a path of light or a path of darkness. 

Now back to the present from the current knowledge we have via dev streams, blogs, twitter..ect there has been No/Zero development on the subject in any shape or form in regards to any umbra. which as DE-Rebecca has noted is the #1 thing searched and asked about. Yet they have developed new warframes (equinox, atlas, ivara, inaros just to name a few), along with many cosmetics and delux skins in that time ,along with other quests and weapon releases.

So the question remains, why has the umbra warframes (a profitable venture, that a large chunk of the community wants) been sidelined? why no new development? is developing lore for it that hard? is the system implementation to hard? or is it simply not a priority? 

these are just a few of the questions I personally get asked routinely, which isnt a big deal, but i have no real answer to give my fellow tenno then, wait and see.

They are rightly upset, as this was solution to a long time issue, as well as possibly allow newer warframes an umbra equivalent maybe even before a prime variation is released/made. many people have dislikes/likes with current primes so another model variation with different attributes could solve that also.

in the end the umbras like anyhting else will get the mix of like/dislike from players. but it is an option that has been acknowledged and desired 

Excalibur Umbra by Franciscogcj

Not sure if this was said but, what if DE is saving Umbra as/for a big reveal? You know, like how they were extremely hush about The Second Dream and it's development. DE hasn't even revealed the answer to the other big question "What are Warframes?" and some people are jumping down their throats for all the info for the dark variant.

Not saying we shouldn't discuss it or ask some questions about it, but having patience in regards to it's release/development is best in this case. DE might be keeping it's debut a secret, like the Operator of the previous cinematic quest.

thats also been discussed , even then we have been flat out told nothing has been done on quite a few dev streams..so if it is a surprise it will be a mix of appeal and annoyance. i have a theory to the basis of warframes themselves, but it is still in the works 

but as secrets go, the oberon delux skin was not even whispered about and bam it was here

either way i was just trying to cover the basics that many might or might not know 

personally for the umbras concepts who gets one and lore are my big appeals, while i also prefer umbra excals looks to primes anyway 

15 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

Not sure if this was said but, what if DE is saving Umbra as/for a big reveal? You know, like how they were extremely hush about The Second Dream and it's development. DE hasn't even revealed the answer to the other big question "What are Warframes?" and some people are jumping down their throats for all the info for the dark variant.

Not saying we shouldn't discuss it or ask some questions about it, but having patience in regards to it's release/development is best in this case. DE might be keeping it's debut a secret, like the Operator of the previous cinematic quest.

You make a good point. However, when DE kept hush hush about the Second Dream, they always seemed excited when people asked and gave out little teasers.

With Umbra however, they seem to get very sheepish and at times seem to just put their hands over their ears going "lalalalala". Doesn't really inspire confidence that they're actually doing something cool with Umbra. In fact it just makes them look like they're desperately trying to put it off until it goes away.

49 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

It doesn't take nine months to come up with a "good story" for one frame.

The more they delay, the higher the expectations. They've painted themselves into a corner.

nine months is very much, but is not a invention of DE, is an aidea chinese

It is more difficult to use others' ideas and introduce them to yours

the expectations produce more people with pl to buy umbra  ;)

maybe her not have aidea to implement this warframe in the game

i have hope the excalibur umbra appears anytime

33 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

thats also been discussed , even then we have been flat out told nothing has been done on quite a few dev streams..so if it is a surprise it will be a mix of appeal and annoyance. i have a theory to the basis of warframes themselves, but it is still in the works 

but as secrets go, the oberon delux skin was not even whispered about and bam it was here

either way i was just trying to cover the basics that many might or might not know 

personally for the umbras concepts who gets one and lore are my big appeals, while i also prefer umbra excals looks to primes anyway 

" while i also prefer umbra excals looks to primes anyway  "

me too, the umbra looks is cool, the prime only have a helmet gold :P

2 minutes ago, Martin_Widow_Maker said:

" while i also prefer umbra excals looks to primes anyway  "

me too, the umbra looks is cool, the prime only have a helmet gold :P

its just a cool design :P and fits the frame...

in terms or lore/mechanics weve talked on that heavily, to a point i think De can draw from several+  ideas for inspiration 

it all goes back to , What does de want to do with the umbras. how do they want to incoporate them. onces thats nailed down implementation is next.

i still say possibly after starchart 3.0 ......... but thats me, as it would give them new areas to release the umbras in... like say the new darksector area .....

5 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

its just a cool design :P and fits the frame...

in terms or lore/mechanics weve talked on that heavily, to a point i think De can draw from several+  ideas for inspiration 

it all goes back to , What does de want to do with the umbras. how do they want to incoporate them. onces thats nailed down implementation is next.

i still say possibly after starchart 3.0 ......... but thats me, as it would give them new areas to release the umbras in... like say the new darksector area .....

is a good aidea new sectors, where the umbras exist or drop them

how do they want to incoporate them ? realy don't know,

but they have many choice to do it, maybe they are the guardians of the executors :)

or anything else

8 minutes ago, Martin_Widow_Maker said:

is a good aidea new sectors, where the umbras exist or drop them

how do they want to incoporate them ? realy don't know,

but they have many choice to do it, maybe they are the guardians of the executors :)

or anything else

guardian cast primes of sort that guard the orokin executors....

elite guard concept is a nice idea.

though my personal interest is mechanics and hopeful new passive

Spoiler

Now the black rebellion grows... first the dev stream and then the world ! .....jk

tumblr_n9lw0wKpwW1tsashuo1_500.gif

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

22 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

guardian cast primes of sort that guard the orokin executors....

elite guard concept is a nice idea.

though my personal interest is mechanics and hopeful new passive

Reveal hidden contents

Now the black rebellion grows... first the dev stream and then the world ! .....jk

tumblr_n9lw0wKpwW1tsashuo1_500.gif

Jk? Is this a joke. The black rebblion will conquer thee!!!

1 hour ago, EmptyDevil said:

1 hour ago, EmptyDevil said:

I suppose this would be a valid argument if there was any surprise to be had. We know Umbra exists, we know they said very vaguely what their plans with him were. Its just been like 2 and a half months and the topic itself has been completely ignored by the staff, not even so much as just an assurance that Umbra was progressing nicely, or terribly, or any indication that the process was still going on. They've been real fishy about it like they're trying to hide something we wouldn't like from us and are trying to duck the subject and distract us with other things.

1 minute ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

I suppose this would be a valid argument if there was any surprise to be had. We know Umbra exists, we know they said very vaguely what their plans with him were. Its just been like 2 and a half months and the topic itself has been completely ignored by the staff, not even so much as just an assurance that Umbra was progressing nicely, or terribly, or any indication that the process was still going on. They've been real fishy about it like they're trying to hide something we wouldn't like from us and are trying to duck the subject and distract us with other things.

Actually if we're talking about when he was first mentioned it's been 9 months, I'd be a little less tense if it was only 2 without any info but, eh

2 hours ago, Martin_Widow_Maker said:

nine months is very much, but is not a invention of DE, is an aidea chinese

You are completely wrong here. ChangYou does not make anything for Warframe. 

Literally, the only role they have for Warframe China is its publication. DE makes everything, every asset, every product. They made Wukong, they made Nezha, they made Umbra.

Unless you mean it's an "invention" for China and not an "invention" of China, I suggest you do more research.

15 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

You are completely wrong here. ChangYou does not make anything for Warframe. 

Literally, the only role they have for Warframe China is its publication. DE makes everything, every asset, every product. They made Wukong, they made Nezha, they made Umbra.

Unless you mean it's an "invention" for China and not an "invention" of China, I suggest you do more research.

i'm wrong, sorry.
i mean "for" china
and yes a need more resarch :)

de is the developer for the china content

they develop and publish for them. granted they have to have a special build and setup due to china restrictions and rules

but all creation and design is per DE, im not sure if they have a special division that does the work for that version though.

"galactic armor"  星际战甲

27zl0z7.jpg