The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dread or Soma prime

(PSN)geron123

Question

Now i understand there are 2 different play styles and i absolute love using bows but here is my problem I am not very strong at the moment and i just need more damage note i have both but a single orokin catalyst so i can only fully mod one. Most of my friends say the soma prime because of its high fire rate and great crit. On the other hand i heard dread can easily get those red number so i just want here some other peoples opinion before fully modding one 

12 answers to this question

Soma Prime is objectively a stronger weapon, especially if you max it out. However Dread is very good itself and absolutely deserves a Catalyst. So, if you do like using bows - go for it and have fun.

Edited by Epsik-kun

Don't worry about your lack of orokin catalysts. Stick around long enough and almost every Friday there's a Gift of the Lotus alert that will reward you either a catalyst or reactor blueprint. For the time being, catalyse the Soma Prime as it is the more rapid fire of the 2. But once you get another catalyst, throw it on the Dread. 

Both weapon are strong and should get you far, but which one deserves potato first depends on your playstyle. Both are crit weapons and depend heavly on your ability to headshot (bit easier with Soma's high fire rate). Also you may have ammo issues with both of them althrough Soma is much worse here due to high fire rate.

My advice - put just Serration, Point Strike and Vital Sense on both and run a few misisons solo around levels 20-25. That should give you a better picture which one you enjoy better.

Gun vs. Bow.

I know which I'd choose, but they play so very differently that a direct comparison is pretty meaningless.

Which one you improve first will depend on your playstyle. If you play Loki or Ivara and spend 90% of your time invisible, then bows have a certain attraction. If you're playing more run'n'gun with 'frames like Nyx, Mag, or Saryn, then you'll choose different weapons.

What is your main frame?  If mobility is key to survival with your character, like maybe Mirage, volt, nova, etc, you may want the soma, because you can run and gun.  If you are tanky or stealth though, you might want dread, because you can buy yourself a little more time with those characters to get the perfect headshot.  

Soma is by far easier to use, but it's also far less rewarding to use (In my opinion) than the dread, or any bow in the game for that matter.  

Rate of fire really matters only for killing nullifiers (ie. Popping their bubbles). It can be done with bows, but wastes a lot of ammo. If you like bows, go with dread. I use bows a lot, even against corpus and corrupted. Using a high RoF secondary can help with nullies if you choose dread.

Which one is better depends highly on your style of play.

Using a Dread it is very easy to clear a room without any of the mobs reacting. The noise of the Soma does seem to alert them - though it never seems to help.

I like using the dread for the big bleed procs and the ragdoll. I tend to use the dread with my faster frames so that i can set the shot up, and the Soma with the slower frames.

my Atlas is more like a turret...  Anyhow - I use despair as my secondary when I use the Dread. 
it is important to note that a holistic build that matches your playstyle is going to be better than selecting what everyone else says is best.