Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IPS Damage Nerf: No Reason To Ever Use Them?

Darthmufin

1 hour ago, Darthmufin said:

like i mentioned several times now, it's less effective to use IPS damage mods over elemental. Elemental just offers more advantages than IPS and since the nerf, there is literally NO reason to use archwing IPS damage mods, not even slash. They all suck and DE probably knows this. I just don't understand why DE would willingly ruin their own mods. 

Because this game is full of things which DE intend for us to never use. I have no idea why they'd do that, but seeing as how we have useless wastes of mod space like ammo drum (wooo, +30% ammo capacity... or I can stick in a damage mod and get +30% damage instead - same ammo economy, better damage per second and shot) and the dedicated status chance mods (15%? REALLY?), or worthless arcanes like 40% chance to resist an electric *proc* (yes, an electric proc - which doesn't affect us in the first place), someone in their design staff thinks that it's a good idea to populate the game with objectively useless junk.

2 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

Because this game is full of things which DE intend for us to never use. I have no idea why they'd do that, but seeing as how we have useless wastes of mod space like ammo drum (wooo, +30% ammo capacity... or I can stick in a damage mod and get +30% damage instead - same ammo economy, better damage per second and shot) and the dedicated status chance mods (15%? REALLY?), or worthless arcanes like 40% chance to resist an electric *proc* (yes, an electric proc - which doesn't affect us in the first place), someone in their design staff thinks that it's a good idea to populate the game with objectively useless junk.

Yeah it is pretty strange DE hasn't buffed those kinds of mods. AT least ones that boost magazine size are so underwhelming even to something like the prisma gorgon. There are very few weapons that benefit from magazine size increases. I think if DE made up their minds about removing base damage mods or not and just removed them, we could actually use those utility mods seriously. Personally i have a gorgon wraith build that has magazine warp and wildfire and the magazine goes up to a whopping 135, only 45 rounds of ammo for two mod spots, but at least one of them adds some heat damage i suppose. Magazine warp needs to increase magazine size by at least 50%, and wildfire by 40% for them to be worth it. 

On 8/11/2016 at 2:01 AM, DoomFruit said:

Actually, they were better than that - they added damage as a fraction of the weapon's overall base damage, like all the (actually useful) elemental mods do. This meant that I could stick them on my Velocitus and they would actually work.

But no, the archwing IPS mods are now completely useless like they are in the rest of the game.

Yeah, I was stoked when that was discovered and modified a few of my builds that had a free mod  slot to use them, but no, now they are worthless again.

• 1 month later...

They're beginner mods. They're found early in your career and you use them until you have proper elemental mods, which typically dropped much later.

The 120% mods do have a place in more advanced builds, but they're only better than regular elementals in some specific instances.

Could they be better? Sure. But most likely at the expense of something else. I clearly recall the chaos following the introduction of Damage 2.0.  Be careful what you wish for.