Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Oberon was Good....

(PSN)bddacres

5 minutes ago, GiraffaYandereBeetle said:

At this rate, we can only agree to disagree. I can only agree that his passive is undeniably forceful and practically useless, so there's that. 

The main thing is we both want Oberon to be buffed and to be able to stand on his own two feet, rather than standing in the footprints of other frames.

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM, armedpoop said:

A singular knockdown over a huge distance with rad proc; This isnt bad actually, but it easily outshined by Sonic boom if you think knockdowns are super useful.

+100-300% of freaking rad damage boost for any ally for 60-73 seconds depending on a build; With an augment* that all the other elementally themed frames have

proc remedy with a minor armor boost; That you have to stand in one spot in to receive, and we all know movement in warframe = Life

heal over time with a chance of distanced revival or bleedout slow; Revival comes again from an augment, that has really weird timing to use properly anyway, and requires you to build around it. The bleed out increase is nice, but never really needed. 

massive aoe knockdown, blind and rad proc. Compared to just about any other ult, this is literally trash. By the time they get back on their feet, the rad proc is just about over, and the other enemies that COULD be attacking them are blinded for longer than the rad proc lasts. Its overlapping way too much. 

THANK YOU!! Seriously, you were able to word the argument in a way that can't be debated. Something I have attempted many times to Oberon lovers.

"Anything Oberon can do, any other frame can do better."

That has been my mantra everytime anyone tries to bring Oberon to anything above lvl 25.. yeah he sucks that bad and in my opinion becomes a liability.

12 hours ago, cookieknife said:

imo i think he needs to be even more complicated, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, if somethings complicated it should work and have a certain flow, like mag right now she has good synergy, or saryn or volt.

Oberon's power concepts would be easy to just add an effect . but i agree to an extent because the blind effect on reckoning has no place and it's more of a rare occurrence than anything

Overcomplicated isn't necessarily good. Oberon has a bunch of weird effects slapped onto his abilities rather than making them cohesive, which is what needs to change. Add actual synergy to them rather than bandage buffs that don't actually do much.

11 hours ago, Govictory said:

But that is what Oberon is supposed to be

he has aspects of various frames from stuff like being slightly tanky to being able to heal because that is what the Palidin's role 

yes i agree he needs a quality of life update but the simple fact he brings a large variety of utility to a squad gives him some solid useability even in the current state of the game and with the trinity blessing changes he actually has a place in squads because his heal has infinite range, even though the orbs have to go to the target

is he a top tier frame? nope but far from the bottom

is he useable and fun? YES gotta love that MASSIVE KNOCKDOWN AND HEALS

does he counter the greatest threat to the tenno, radiation proced 4 spamming ash edgelords? yes, his 2 ruins their fun or blind spamming

The problem is, as most people are aware, is why not just use another frame? Other frames do all of his jobs better than he ever could, which is why a lot of people see no point in playing him. A jack-of-all-trades in a game like this doesn't fit quite as well. I like Oberon as a solo frame, but I rarely see a reason to bother bringing him into a party of friends when there's always a better option. And that's the point- not that he isn't fun, it's that a can opener is better for opening a can than a multitool. Sure, the multitool can open a can, but you'll have a much easier time with the can opener.

9 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

And no matter how many times people compare Oberon to Trinity they are wrong to do so.

NO ONE builds Oberon to be a healer because that's not what he is good at, there are two normal builds for him.

not everyone thinks like you dude.

6 minutes ago, Camelslayer said:

A can opener is better for opening a can than a multitool. Sure, the multitool can open a can, but you'll have a much easier time with the can opener.

A genius way of summing up this entire situation in a nutshell.

Edited by LorianTheElderPrince

My problem with Oberon is that he has a set of powers that his stats don't support.  Here's what I feel should happen:

Druid vs paladin:. Oberon is like banshee in the fact that you have to stay mobile to stay alive, his powers make you want to stand still.  So we get this question. Is he a paladin or a druid?  He is kinda both and that being spread across two archetypes makes him hard to enhance in one area.  When I modded him to the best I could get him to play, it was the only way it would work, not for capacity, but mod slots.  He needs a rework to his powers that correct this.  

Passive: Honor: when Oberon stands still his armor increases by up to 300% (similar to the rate arching weapons recharge), moving causes this number to rapidly decrease (at the same rate).  This gives Oberon huge armor benefits when in his carpet standing still, defending allies.

Smite- change it from some goofy psychic power to a cone of light that causes the same effect and has a radial pulse of damage that spreads it's damage to each enemy within the pulse.  This will have a massive effect on enemies in clusters as they will damage each other by having the pulses multiplying the damage by the number of enemies.

Hallowed ground- all of the same effects, but the shape is dependent on position- if Oberon is standing on the ground, it works like it does now, stretching out in one direction, if cast in the air, he applies the effect as soon as he touches the ground in a  circle around his landing point.

Renewal- toggle, begins healing the entire team regardless of range, with the regeneration being faster the closer they are to Oberon.  Fully healed allies begin generating bonus armor up to +100% at the same rate.

Reckoning- get rid of the basketballs of doom.  The same effect, but light shines from above, like a ray of divine vengeance.

That's my two cents at least.

1 hour ago, Camelslayer said:

Overcomplicated isn't necessarily good. Oberon has a bunch of weird effects slapped onto his abilities rather than making them cohesive, which is what needs to change. Add actual synergy to them rather than bandage buffs that don't actually do much.

like i said lol, his complicity is not together, it's a bunch of random things slapped together. If he had some sort of flow like mag, saryn, excalibur, volt, or frost then it would be great! but he doesnt. the only minuscule form of synergy is smiting an enemy while they're on hallowed ground and knocking them down so they dont walk right off.... but they get up afterwards.... big woop Oberon has been given bandage buffs before, an all around damage increase to his kit and stats, but did that help him in the long run? noooooooooooo he's still spread out too thin, to be a jack of all trades you should atleast be able to fill in for a master but oberon cant, he falls too flat

14 hours ago, Damuranashi said:

He better gets a buff. His wife is coming and she sees him like this she will dump him.

I imagine when Oberon Prime comes around, he'll probably get some updates. Which Nekros is next obviously, and then two female frames, and probably then Oberon. So in nine months or so, we might see a rework.

On ‎16‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 6:24 AM, Govictory said:

But that is what Oberon is supposed to be

he has aspects of various frames from stuff like being slightly tanky to being able to heal because that is what the Palidin's role 

yes i agree he needs a quality of life update but the simple fact he brings a large variety of utility to a squad gives him some solid useability even in the current state of the game and with the trinity blessing changes he actually has a place in squads because his heal has infinite range, even though the orbs have to go to the target

is he a top tier frame? nope but far from the bottom

is he useable and fun? YES gotta love that MASSIVE KNOCKDOWN AND HEALS

does he counter the greatest threat to the tenno, radiation proced 4 spamming ash edgelords? yes, his 2 ruins their fun or blind spamming

This, he is a lovely versatile frame, can slot him for so many purposes (heavy dunk or 'keep em on the ground' range, specialy with the 50% cast speed), the hallowed grounds is lovely in rad-proc sorties, his 1 ability got a nice side effect (unlike most 1's of other frames), if only he looked slightly better. Plus he got 2 decent augments (the 3rd is the same as most frames), doing a nice ammount of damage and giving a flat 250 armor (instead of %, nice for banshee or alike). Now if only my Carrier had a bleedout stage :(

I gues most hate him for its parts are the most dropped warframe parts in the game? :P

Edited by SinergyX

Oh, yes!

Oberon is indeed an amazingly good Warframe!

I mean, just take a look at the recruting channel. :)

You'd be surprised at how often people spam "LF Oberon"!

...Yeah, like never.

D.E should buff poor Broberon already...

Edited by NativeKiller

Guest GorgonTheHeroine

I'll agree, he doesn't bring anything useful to a group in regards to support. Though, I do enjoy playing him solo.

I'm also getting a kick out of his passive.

1. It makes farming for kubrow eggs so much easier, if all the kubrow rip apart the grineer for you. 

2. Turning summoned companions back on their master.

3. I'll use Obe while grouping with family. If they pull a $&*^ move, I just drown them in a sea of fangs, claws, and degraded skin.

When they first showed his delux skin, I assumed he was getting a rework. Sorely disappointed, when this wasn't the case.

Edited by JamesBondReject

22 hours ago, Camelslayer said:

The problem is, as most people are aware, is why not just use another frame? Other frames do all of his jobs better than he ever could, which is why a lot of people see no point in playing him. A jack-of-all-trades in a game like this doesn't fit quite as well. I like Oberon as a solo frame, but I rarely see a reason to bother bringing him into a party of friends when there's always a better option. And that's the point- not that he isn't fun, it's that a can opener is better for opening a can than a multitool. Sure, the multitool can open a can, but you'll have a much easier time with the can opener.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that some players want Oberon to be something he isn't. 

Oberon is, as you noted, a jack-of-all-trades frame. He's not a specialized frame and if he became able to compete in any one specialized area he'd be OP.

He's the red mage amongst a field of white mages, black mages, and specialized warriors. Joats require more skill and careful handling than specialty frames but enjoy the latitude to do almost anything in the process.

Oberon definitely needs a bit more QoL tuning (speed up renewal, give it overhealing boost, and have HG give DR% instead of armor % let Obie enjoy it as long as HG is down regardless of being in it) but he's not bad off now and he definitely isn't the worst off amongst the frames (Hydroid holds that crown).

Saying that Oberon needs to be specialized goes against what Oberon is now.

1 hour ago, Padre_Akais said:

The problem, in a nutshell, is that some players want Oberon to be something he isn't. 

Oberon is, as you noted, a jack-of-all-trades frame. He's not a specialized frame and if he became able to compete in any one specialized area he'd be OP.

He's the red mage amongst a field of white mages, black mages, and specialized warriors. Joats require more skill and careful handling than specialty frames but enjoy the latitude to do almost anything in the process.

Oberon definitely needs a bit more QoL tuning (speed up renewal, give it overhealing boost, and have HG give DR% instead of armor % let Obie enjoy it as long as HG is down regardless of being in it) but he's not bad off now and he definitely isn't the worst off amongst the frames (Hydroid holds that crown).

Saying that Oberon needs to be specialized goes against what Oberon is now.

He's fine being a jack-of-all-trades. But he's not very good at it.

As I said, there's just little reason to use him when everyone else does his job better. Oberon is good for solo play, but beyond that he practically has no place in the game.

21 minutes ago, Camelslayer said:

He's fine being a jack-of-all-trades. But he's not very good at it.

Not very good as compared to what, exactly? If you are comparing him to anything other than JoAT's you are making unfair comparisons.

25 minutes ago, Camelslayer said:

As I said, there's just little reason to use him when everyone else does his job better. Oberon is good for solo play, but beyond that he practically has no place in the game.

...That's the, "Master of None" part that all JoAT's are saddled with. Their strength is in flexibility not necessarily in DPS, Heals, Buffs, Debuffs, or Control effects.

If you want Oberon to compete in those arenas then you want him to be a specialized frame... Which he isn't.

That is not to say Oberon couldn't use a bit more tuning but most of it is in the QoL capacity...

• Less need to stand in HG and having HG be larger by default and offer useful effects,
  • Renewal traveling a bit faster and offering more ancillary effect for it's energy cost.
  • The ability to actually take reliable advantage of the discord sown by the rad procs.

JoATs take more work, preparation, and skill to play in any game if the goal is to have them be in any way comparable to specialized classes.

If all you are looking for is a min-max frame spot to fill in endless modes and raids, then your expectation is narrow by choice. Passing that hurdle is also the cross any JoAt player has had to bear in comparison to specialized classes (speaking from experience on that one). 

7 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

Not very good as compared to what, exactly? If you are comparing him to anything other than JoAT's you are making unfair comparisons.

...That's the, "Master of None" part that all JoAT's are saddled with. Their strength is in flexibility not necessarily in DPS, Heals, Buffs, Debuffs, or Control effects.

If you want Oberon to compete in those arenas then you want him to be a specialized frame... Which he isn't.

That is not to say Oberon couldn't use a bit more tuning but most of it is in the QoL capacity...

• Less need to stand in HG and having HG be larger by default and offer useful effects,
  • Renewal traveling a bit faster and offering more ancillary effect for it's energy cost.
  • The ability to actually take reliable advantage of the discord sown by the rad procs.

JoATs take more work, preparation, and skill to play in any game if the goal is to have them be in any way comparable to specialized classes.

If all you are looking for is a min-max frame spot to fill in endless modes and raids, then your expectation is narrow by choice. Passing that hurdle is also the cross any JoAt player has had to bear in comparison to specialized classes (speaking from experience on that one). 

zWnqYeo.gif

Edited by GiraffaYandereBeetle
Wrong quote lel

2 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

Equinox is one of the Jack of all trades frame, And is personally one of my favorite frame, I want Oberon to at least perform as good as her.

No one asked Oberon to be a Ash/Ember copy or a Vauban, We want him to keep his Jack of all trades style but for him to get some QoL changes and a few buffs.

The way Oberon performs right now, You are better off going with any specialized frame and they will do just as good as Oberon.

1 minute ago, Midrib said:

Equinox is one of the Jack of all trades frame, And is personally one of my favorite frame, I want Oberon to at least perform as good as her.

No one asked Oberon to be a Ash/Ember copy or a Vauban, We want him to keep his Jack of all trades style but for him to get some QoL changes and a few buffs.

The way Oberon performs right now, You are better off going with any specialized frame and they will do just as good as Oberon.

In all fairness, Oberon can't switch modes like Equinox and gain access to different movesets.

32 minutes ago, Midrib said:

22 minutes ago, Midrib said:

Equinox has the luxury to choose which playstyle she want but it doesn't deny that as a whole shes as Jack of all trades as it gets.

...Except Equinox isn't really a JoAT to begin with.

Equinox is bound by forms, each of those forms block off capability from the other side. That limitation, in itself, allows for more latitude on either side for builds and specialization.

Think Vanilla WoW Druid... Equinox can be a weaker JoAT, OR Spec for Control and DPS,... OR spec for Control and Heals. All based on the frame's theme.

Oberon is a JoAT and doesn't have the benefit of forms to switch between. Which means he doesn't have the benefit of balancing the downsides of another mode's limitations to allow more power to the current one.

It would be simpler and more appropriate to compare him to the likes of Rhino, Volt, or Hydroid  as each are ostensibly actual JoATs (Hydroid is questionable... He's billed as a ranged CC caster tank, but has a JoAT kit with augments and toilet paper stats) 

5 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

...Except Equinox isn't really a JoAT to begin with.

Equinox is bound by forms, each of those forms block off capability from the other side. That limitation, in itself, allows for more latitude on either side for builds and specialization.

Think Vanilla WoW Druid... Equinox can be a weaker JoAT, OR Spec for Control and DPS,... OR spec for Control and Heals. All based on the frame's theme.

Oberon is a JoAT and doesn't have the benefit of forms to switch between. Which means he doesn't have the benefit of balancing the downsides of another mode's limitations to allow more power to the current one.

It would be simpler and more appropriate to compare him to the likes of Rhino, Volt, or Hydroid  as each are ostensibly actual JoATs (Hydroid is questionable... He's billed as a ranged CC caster tank, but has a JoAT kit with augments and toilet paper stats) 

Except Equinox is Jack of all trades in both forms.

In her day form she has an enemy debuff, an AoE ally power strength buff, and a long range damaging AoE that scales.

In her Nigh form, she has an AoE CC that opens enemies to finishers, she has an AoE enemy Damage debuff, and a Long Range Healing AoE that scales.

She offers everything in both forms, Her damage in night form is decent because she has access to finishers and while her CC lacks in day form, its compensated by the fact that her ultimate scales indefinitely and its a bigass AoE

12 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

(Hydroid is questionable...

Hydroid is not questionable. Hydroid barely exists as a warframe. Hydroid has no relevance AT ALL outside of Pilfering Swarm. Oberon is trash tier, but Hydroid is worse than trash tier.