The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Almighty Minigun?

Cephalon_Elyksis

Just now, Plushy said:

I think a Corpus minigun would be more appropriate.

Corpus are more of the Heavy-single fire and drones to my knowledge, Look at the moas/Bursas and ospreys etc.

While the grineer want as much damage output per unit as possible, hence why the only two current supportive units outside AW are the lancer and the Snipers.

2 minutes ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

Corpus are more of the Heavy-single fire and drones to my knowledge, Look at the moas/Bursas and ospreys etc.

While the grineer want as much damage output per unit as possible, hence why the only two current supportive units outside AW are the lancer and the Snipers.

Game-design wise, Corpus are Defensive; they're good at ambushes, and good at fending off attacks better than they are at attacking. So, a Minigun matching more with real-life logic would actually fit their design pretty well, but the functionality of such a weapon is already occupied by the Supra, so in a way, they already have a minigun, it's just not a cylindrical barreled minigun.

The issue, though, is it doesn't make it very distinctive, so I'd want to give the Supra some more obvious defensive bonuses, such as either having faster rate of fire or projecting a directional shield while aiming down sights, or such similar mechanics.

in fallout 4 there is an energy mini gun that uses fusion cores instead of bullets.

so i think using energy instead of ammo would be kinda cool weapon thats unique to how you play clearly a tenno weapon  , playing in particular sortes missions would not be fun with this though.  

Just now, Krion112 said:

The issue, though, is it doesn't make it very distinctive, so I'd want to give the Supra some more obvious defensive bonuses, such as either having faster rate of fire or projecting a directional shield while aiming down sights, or such similar mechanics.

Faster rate of fire? once it is done spooling it's fire rate is more than decent. Shield idea does sound interesting though I think i've seen such bullet shield attachments in other games.

Just now, (PS4)brianna144 said:

in fallout 4 there is an energy mini gun that uses fusion cores instead of bullets.

so i think using energy instead of ammo would be kinda cool weapon thats unique to how you play clearly a tenno weapon  , playing in particular sortes missions would not be fun with this though.  

The Ashbringer c:
I am very well known with this gun, and i chose grineer tho, with a very simple reason: the bulky and heavy items, fully steel,. are really grineer styled. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)brianna144 said:

Eh, in fallout 4 for the gatling laser one energy core had a translation into how many shots it can fire. Energy wouldn't be so clear cut sadly, plus it would probably be too weighted towards certain frames.

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

3 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Faster rate of fire? once it is done spooling it's fire rate is more than decent. Shield idea does sound interesting though I think i've seen such bullet shield attachments in other games.

I mean the Spool up, which is also affected by rate of fire mods. So for recap, I mean that while aiming down sights, the spool up would be faster. But, that's only one of many possibilities for what could be done to help make the Supra more distinct in its category.

39 minutes ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

As i already said, the gorgons are indeed part of it, and the soma too, but they would be qualified as Chainguns, as the internal belt is drained instead of a drum or spinning barrel set outputting the raining hell. ((I know its a very specific difference but it exists)
That and think of the chances Miniguns can get, maybe even as an air-support item

Internal belt?  The Gorgon fires from a detachable box-magazine mounted on the underside of the weapon, behind and below the chamber assembly, pointed diagonally away from the user's body.  The Soma fires from a very visible external half-moon 'stripper' magazine that cycles upward through the chamber as it's stripped of it's ammo, then pops off to free the magazine guide for the next mag.

Also, just FYI, the term "Minigun" is a copyrighted name - it specifically refers to the M134 Minigun rotary-barrel machine gun, designed in 1960 by General Electric.  The term "Chain gun" is also a copyrighted term, held by Orbital ATK to refer to any sort of externally-powered machine gun (which is to say, any gun that uses an external power source to cycle rounds from its magazine or belt through the chamber, instead of relying on the leftover pressure of firing a round to do so.)  If Warframe were to try and use either of those terms, DE may wind up getting dinged by lawyers for doing so.

So, tell me - exactly what are you looking for?  A machinegun with an externally-powered magazine and chamber?  Those already exist, I listed them in my last post.  Are you looking for an autocannon?  Because that exists (the Imperator), plus would be too heavy to be easily mobile on foot.  A rotary machinegun or gatling gun?  This is the only one that might apply to your idea that doesn't currently exist, but I'd question whether it would be redundant with the existence of all the other machine guns in the game.

(Yes, I'm a gun nut.)

Edited by Arkvold

Just now, Arkvold said:

Internal belt?  The Gorgon fires from a detachable box-magazine mounted on the underside of the weapon, behind and below the chamber assembly, pointed diagonally away from the user's body.  The Soma fires from a very visible external half-moon 'stripper' magazine that cycles upward through the chamber as it's stripped of it's ammo, then pops off to free the magazine guide for the next mag.

Also, just FYI, the term "Minigun" is a copyrighted name - it specifically refers to the M134 Minigun rotary-barrel machine gun, designed in 1960 by General Electric.  The term "Chain gun" is also a copyrighted term, held by Orbital ATK to refer to any sort of externally-powered machine gun (which is to say, any gun that uses an external power source to cycle rounds from its magazine or belt through the chamber, instead of relying on the leftover pressure of firing a round to do so.)  If Warframe were to try and use either of those terms, DE may wind up getting dinged by lawyers for doing so.

So, tell me - exactly what are you looking for?  A machinegun with an externally-powered magazine and chamber?  Those already exist, I listed them in my last post.  Are you looking for an autocannon?  Because that exists (the Imperator), plus would be too heavy to be easily mobile on foot.  A rotary machinegun or gatling gun)?  This is the only one that might apply to your idea that doesn't currently exist, but I'd question whether it would be redundant with the existence of all the other machine guns in the game.

(Yes, I'm a gun nut.)

To shorten my answer down, yes the gorgon is a Chaingun in this term, as the bulelts in the exchangeable mag are locked in a chain, which is assumed due to the soft clicking noise that you get and the bullet-casings rappidly flying out when you fire, so a belt-like system can be assumed. And last time i noticed, correct me if im wrong, the ''Belt'' of the soma, is the banan arc ^^. 

Yes, i am reffering to the M134, which is exactly what i am trying to put out there. 

I can understand that people will be like: but we already have bulelthose autos. Yes, but we dont have a bullet-rainer that changes the weather from sunny to lead.

Light machine guns and mini-guns are different scale weapons; an interesting concept though it should likely favor impact as its a Grineer weapon and with few exceptions their weapons are impact and based on more modern day ballistics. What physical size are we talking? True mini-gun; man portable light machine gun like the Soma, Supra, and Gorgon series or Archgun sized? I am guessing from the ammo capacity its Team Fortress 2 Heavy sized, would this weapon require missing out on other weapons or have some negative?

Just now, Urlan said:

Light machine guns and mini-guns are different scale weapons; an interesting concept though it should likely favor impact as its a Grineer weapon and with few exceptions their weapons are impact and based on more modern day ballistics. What physical size are we talking? True mini-gun; man portable light machine gun like the Soma, Supra, and Gorgon series or Archgun sized? I am guessing from the ammo capacity its Team Fortress 2 Heavy sized, would this weapon require missing out on other weapons or have some negative?

For the damage type, i took your average normal round and tried to think of shrapnel and such once it hit the body.

And no, if youve seen the other replies, i am actually aiming for your more... TF2 Heavy Weapons Guy styled Gatling gun. As its not a machine gun as said before. 

37 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

I didn't say all were mounted. That being said, you actually lift the thing? (if so I will be jealous for the experience)

The problem is, that movement slowing thing isn't complementary to the game's idea of mobility. 

There are mission types that don't require mobility and this could be compensated for in a number of ways. Personally, I like the idea of the minimum just not being able to be fired while airborne or sprinting. Also, if it was a primary people could just switch to their secondary when wanting to fire while mobile. I don't see why this would fit less into the game than Mesa's peacemaker. 

2 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

There are mission types that don't require mobility and this could be compensated for in a number of ways. Personally, I like the idea of the minimum just not being able to be fired while airborne or sprinting. Also, if it was a primary people could just switch to their secondary when wanting to fire while mobile. I don't see why this would fit less into the game than Mesa's peacemaker. 

Very true, i mean, we have the girl whose thumbs are shot by the end of a mission, so why not grab a few barrels, slap them together and add that speedy trigger with a nice sound?

The movement restricted idea of not being able to fire in jump and such looks like a solid backdrop for the thing ^^

1 minute ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

For the damage type, i took your average normal round and tried to think of shrapnel and such once it hit the body.

And no, if youve seen the other replies, i am actually aiming for your more... TF2 Heavy Weapons Guy styled Gatling gun. As its not a machine gun as said before. 

Okay, as I asked in my post you quoted above, cool. Machine guns and light machine guns are different weapon types. Light machine guns are usually what people are going for when they say 'mini-guns' as even our own Grineer Heavy Gunner used to be called Grineer Mini-gunner. Shrapnel is okay though not common in those kind of guns - indirect fire shrapnel being more common in light machine guns - usually used for suppression fire, but if you switched Impact to have a higher value base, it could work.

6 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

actually imo a better setback for it would be if you carry anything else besides companion and melee with it you are hit with movement impedements no matter what you have out but if you carry just the gatling gun and melee with companion you walk around normal with little to no movement impedement but you cant shoot when jumping or any parkor

Edited by Omnipower

We have 5 'main' factions, with two technically-not-entirely-distinct ones which bridge multiple factions. (This is not including local fauna, i.e. aggressive wildlife.)

1. Grineer
    1. Classification: Offense-oriented style of combat. Favors out-in-the-open style of fighting (excepting certain bosses, a few nonstandard units, and the Nightwatch Corps (which iirc seemed to have much better AI for utilizing cover))
  2. Corpus
    1. Classification: Defense-oriented style of combat. Favors using supportive units and proxies to fight (by lore), with specialty units (bursas) that are much more durable relative to standard Crewman than comparable specialty Grineer units are to their standard Lancers.
  3. Infested
    1. Classification: Collective/Synergy-oriented style of combat, though most units attack via melee-only. Favors using a combination of special abilities or adaptations to apply buffs to allied units and inflict debuffs vs. foes. (I count Alad V as part of the Infested faction, now, since even though he still has visible Infestation changes, he seems more in control of himself, and refers to himself in the first-person, rather than using a Collective pronoun.)
  4. Sentients
    1. Classification: Highly-Specialized-units with Adaptation-oriented style of combat. Adaptive-defenses which will increase Damage-Resistance against the most-utilized damage-types of attacks they are targeted by. Additionally, though the Battalyst and Conculyst units are specialized for Ranged and Close-Quarters combat, respectively, if they are disarmed by a Warframe Power, they can reacquire their own armaments -- or each-others -- unlike any other disarmed unit type. This can lead to them performing each-others attacks.
  5. Tenno
    1. Classification: Augmentation-and-Strategy-style combat. Initial stats for both weapons and tenno are generally low, but by planning-ahead, working together as a squad, and having proper knowledge of how to mod (augment) effectively, their effective combat capabilities can be multiplied hundreds, if not thousands of times.
  6. Stalker
    1. Classification: Unique. Somehow (by-and-large the lore hasn't yet been explored) the Stalker and his Acolytes can utilize the power of multiple abilities which the Tenno can use, and they can use ones from multiple -- different -- warframes, all at the same time. Combat style is not so much 'adaptive' as it is 'prepared', as their strengths lie in their immense powers and their capabilities at all ranges. However, they also have allied with at least one Sentient, who has (seemingly) enhanced their capabilities with Its own.
  7. Corrupted/Orokin
    1. Classification: Redirection-and-Absorption-oriented style of combat. Turns the power of foes against their allies, then acquires any surviving allies. Uses them against new foes. Repeat.

and now the actual minigun stuff

I'd personally say that any miniguns should hamper our movement speed by at least 25%, and should probably restrict our parkour options as well, simply by sheer bulk of the weapon.

Additionally, they should have a massive (innate) punchthrough effect -- at least equivalent to that of a charged lanka shot, which is 5m -- while also having per-bullet stats comparable to other heavy-weapon bullet-hose type guns.

HOWEVER, they should also have many of the drawbacks associated with miniguns:

• Ammo-guzzling beasts
    • Would absolutely require Ammo-Mutation mods -- and would probably benefit from Ammo-Scavenger auras as well.
  • Unique mechanics which differentiate them from any other type of player-wieldable weapon:
    • The gun cannot fire continuously for a long duration without risking (initially) or actually causing (chance would eventually hit 100% from compounding effects) extensive* damage to the weapon, due to the barrels overheating.
      • It should be able to go through the equivalent of its entire ammo supply at least once without any chance of ill effects, however -- otherwise it wouldn't be much of a minigun
      • *'Extensive damage to the weapon' being a very unique mechanic:
        • Using a minigun will automatically wear-down the barrels of that minigun, and they must be replaced (at most) the equivalent of every, for example, 300% base-ammo-consumed (that is, for every [3x] rounds you fire with it, you need to replace the barrels, with [x] being equivalent to the total ammo pool of the weapon
          • This is only applied while in-mission -- outside a mission, the Orbiter is able to repair damage to the currently-equipped barrels (this shouldn't cost anything, nor should it require player-interaction to do this)
        • They require the usage of (at least) one Gear slot for spare barrels. In standard PvE, you cannot bring a minigun without bringing extra barrels -- it won't let you do it. This also prevents players from using Miniguns in Arena-style combat.
          I have no problems with that idea. They're supposed to be unwieldy anyways.
          This would also require you to make spare barrels in your foundry, and remember to keep track of your ammo consumption.
        • However, if you decide to continue firing the weapon beyond the point where you've consumed the equivalent of the entire ammo pool without letting the weapon cool-off, it will cause a steadily-increasing rate of increased wear-per-bullet to the barrels (initially) or the tenno wielding it (if you really press your luck). If the remaining 'health' of the barrels hits 0 while in the 'overheat' firing state, the barrels will ignite the next bullets to pass through them, causing them to detonate inside the barrels. If either of these happens, then you will need to replace the barrels to use it again, regardless of how much more firing those barrels would have been able to take if you had let them rest.
          • If it ignites bullets in this manner, it should also probably cause an extended-duration knockdown proc on the wielder, from the explosion, as well as additional time to remove the damaged barrels before replacing them, once that wielder has regained their footing.
            • If the wielder has an ability like Iron Skin active, they wouldn't suffer the Blast proc, but they would suffer the complete ablation (removal) of that skill to protect the wielder, regardless of how much health it had at the time. (Again, this emphasizes situational awareness. It's entirely avoidable if you actually pay attention.)
      • This will also mean that minigun weapons will be affected by environmental factors like:
        • Cryogenic Leakage and Frozen Infested Hive (standard-mission modifier):
          • Increases duration before the chance of ill-effects begins, as well as the number of shots which can be fired before replacing the barrels, by 25-50% (pending testing, these are just example numbers), so the weapon would be able to fire for longer periods at once, and for more total rounds overall, prior to requiring barrel-replacement.
        • Extreme Cold (sortie-modifer):
          • Would cause comparable effects to Cryogenic Leakage and Frozen Infested Hive, but would amplify them even further, causing an exaggeration of the altered values even more
            Would also cause barrel-replacement speed to be cut, just like standard reloads.
        • Fire (sortie-modifer):
          • Would reduce the maximum duration between cooldowns, as well as the maximum total number of bullets before a barrel-replacement is required.
        • Reactor Sabotage (Overheating):
          • Same as the sortie-version, but with slightly reduced magnitude of effects.
        • Reactor Sabotage (Cooling):
          • Same as the Cryogenic-Leakage modifier (effects likely not reduced; cryo leakage isn't a sortie modifier)
    • They take up the primary AND secondary weapon slots (yes I know that sounds absurd at first, but keep in mind these things are generally fking MASSIVE, with an ammo reserve that weighs probably more than they do)
      • (They shouldn't require two inventory slots per weapon, though)
      • They could possibly get two additional mods slots as somewhat of a compensation for this -- one of them would basically require being filled with the appropriate Ammo Mutation mod, while having the other be (most likely) a reload-speed mod** or an ammo-capacity mod. This would give players a means of not making their other drawbacks entirely crazy, but they would still be significant choices to make when considering whether it makes more sense to put a damage-boosting mod instead of a reload-speed mod
        • **1.) To clarify, I'm thinking of a 'reload speed mod' as something which would apply probably not to the standard idea of reloading-per-magazine but more like the idea of the rate of cooling-down applied to the weapon after an extended duration of use. Essentially, a reload-speed mod for a minigun would work to help alleviate firing down-time. (Whether it would do so by reducing wear on the barrels, or simply just reducing how long it takes for the barrels to fully cool-off, I'm not sure. That would require testing to do anything more than simply speculate.)
          2.) However, I'd also consider the idea of the reload-speed mod instead benefiting (and affecting) the idea that the weapon actually does need to reload, but does so by loading the entire ammo pool as a single spool, which must be refreshed to add more ammo to the (currently usable***) portion already-spooled-up by the weapon.
          Of these two ideas, I'm more inclined to use the former, but the latter could be made to work as well. A combination of both might actually be best, as then the drawbacks from each of them could be made individually less-cumbersome, while still requiring situational awareness of their effects.
          • ***Basically, you could still grab ammo pickups, but it wouldn't actually add to your usable pool until you respool. Whether you respool every pickup, or only every 20 pickups, you would still be given access to your entire 'queued' reserves of ammo. (Though this still wouldn't let you pick up more than your maximum capacity at once.)
          • The first option would allow players to control how often they stop firing (to an extent -- overheating barrels would still eventually force a cessation) but wouldn't require periods where they cannot fire unless they already overused the weapon. Needing the player to manually reload for ammo pickups to apply, however, would require periods where they cannot fire for a specific minimum duration.
  • Enormous recoil (making it unusable), unless stationary or braced against something.
    • 'Something' being 'the ground', in the case of Warframe
    • As a result, you can't fire a Minigun while:
      • In midair
      • Aim-Gliding
      • Sliding
      • Wall-hanging
      • Wallrunning/Wallhopping
      • Crouching
    • Should probably limit players' speed/maneuverability even more, so long as they're actively firing
    • If braced against the ground (possibly by deploying a mount/hardpoint from your Gear or Secondary Weapon Slot), you can use the altfire button to toggle an increased RoF, but be aware that doing so will also affect the accumulation of wear on the barrels, proportionally
  • In regards to compounding/interacting-with the abilities/effects (especially passives) of other warframes:
    • Ash -- Hemorrhange -- No change.
    • Atlas -- Immovable -- Atlas is entirely immune to the Blast-proc from an overused minigun. It's still a bad idea to overuse one.
    • Banshee -- Suppressor -- Banshee is the only method by which a minigun can be silenced. Hush will not work, nor will Hushed Invisibility. However, if Banshee is made invisible (or enemies are blinded) by some effect, the minigun will be able to utilize the stealth bonus.
      • That said, I'm hesitant on allowing Invisibility to work at all for a tenno wielding a minigun. I'd argue that the roar of the weapon should render your warframe effectively visible, but with a small debuff to accuracy.
    • Chroma -- Elemental Alignment -- No change.
    • Ember -- Ignition -- No change.
    • Equinox -- Equilibrium -- No change.
    • Excalibur -- Swordsmanship -- No change.
    • Frost -- Cryogenic -- No change.
    • Hydroid -- Deep Tendril -- No change.
    • Inaros -- Undying -- No change.
    • Ivara -- Sentry -- No change.
    • Loki -- Wall Grapple -- Cuts bonus to 5 times longer than other warframes. (Which still puts his wallhang at 25 seconds.)
    • Limbo -- Rift Efficiency -- Not quite sure how to work with this, but I'd go with barrel-replacement speed should be faster in the Rift, as well as the potential for other bonuses.
    • Mag -- Magnetic Attraction -- No change.
    • Mesa -- Marksman's Dexterity -- Should get an addition to her passive for miniguns (and snipers and launchers, actually), though I'm not sure what it should be for miniguns.
    • Mirage -- Jester's Proficiency -- Slightly-reduced penalties to maneuverability.
    • Nekros -- Soul Siphon -- No change.
    • Nezha -- Frictionless -- Must deploy hardpoint to use without sliding in a direction opposite the fired bullets, but suffers no penalty to sliding while equipped.
    • Nova -- Explosive Counter -- No change.
    • Nyx -- Relinquish -- No change.
    • Oberon -- Beastmaster -- No change.
    • Rhino -- Heavy Landing -- Passive should get increased radius and damage. (not enormously-so, but increased nonetheless)
    • Saryn -- Potency -- No change.
    • Trinity -- Triage -- No change.
    • Valkyr -- Nimble -- She suffers no landing-delay after falling a long distance, which implies extremely durable composition -- this should also mean the penalties she suffers to her movements, from wielding a minigun, should be somewhat reduced vs. the effects on other frames. (No complete removal of penalties though; in Hysteria, they should be reduced still-further, but not removed entirely.)
    • Vauban -- Reinforce -- Vauban's passive allows the barrels to sustain 50% greater wear before they must be replaced.
    • Volt -- Static Discharge -- No change.
    • Wukong -- Tenacity -- No change.
    • Zephyr -- Lightweight -- Passive suffers reduced effectiveness, but the penalty to her mobility should also be slightly reduced -- she may be light, but she's also so focused on being maneuverable that it's one of her main assets. Stat-dump logic suggests her comparable penalty would be less noticeable due to her 'ranks' in Freedom Of Movement (c).
      • Yes, I'm extrapolating some logic from Dungeons & Dragons. It also makes sense here.

Well. This ended up being WAY fking longer than I'd originally intended it to be (>_<), but the mention of penalties and stuff brought out my Game-Mechanics-Theorycrafting brain.

It tends to 'dive deep', as it were, when it gets revved-up.

Edited by cittran
wanted to post before I had a backlog of like 20 replies since I'd started; added minigun stuff

1 minute ago, Omnipower said:

actually imo a better setback for it would be if you carry anything else besides companion and melee you are hit with movement impedements no matter what you have out but if you carry just the gatling gun and melee with companion you walk around normal with little to no movement impedement but you cant shoot when jumping or any parkor

The problem with that imo is it hurts build flexibility. Sure you can go sword alone but it shouldn't be required for swords to be a good option.

4 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

The problem with that imo is it hurts build flexibility. Sure you can go sword alone but it shouldn't be required for swords to be a good option.

thats the point though you cant have your cake and eat it too the draw back is you keep the cheese maker plus your melee and companion and go about your day with little hinderance or go with full arsenal and feel the full pain of carrying all that weight around i wouldnt make it as bad as hobbled key but almost close like 30-50% slower maybe?

and you forget we have thousands? of mods which can pretty much be used to offset most hindrances we find(people like to refer to this as us cheesing)

Edited by Omnipower

1 minute ago, Omnipower said:

thats the point though you cant have your cake and eat it too the draw back is you keep the cheese maker plus your melee and companion and go about your day with little hinderance or go with full arsenal and feel the full pain of carrying all that weight around i wouldnt make it as bad as hobbled key but almost close like 30-50% slower maybe?

Yah but that would make it useless in most of the game. Making it a severe niche weapon especially with resistance units like sentients and the stalker more common. Most people wouldn't bother if it hampered us that much. 

30 minutes ago, Arkvold said:

(Yes, I'm a gun nut.)

And that realistic knowledge will fail you when arguing against game-design, as a BTW. 

In any case, as far as 'minigun' being copyrighted, it must be an extremely lax copyright, unless companies that use the term deal with it through funds, but with how many game companies out there use the term, I can't imagine all of them giving into that. Either way, though, Warframe weapons always have names, with only a handful of exceptions, so in-game it'd never have to be referred to as a 'minigun'.

Likewise, having another excessively high rate of fire weapon does not overstep its bounds: I already distinguished the difference between it and other heavy automatic weapons, as in it has no magazine or reload, and offered suggestions to help make those other existing weapons more distinguished (with the exception of the Soma, as it already has a distinguished quality, being its rifle-like accuracy).

I want to point out, we do have multiple 'standard' rifle designs as well; ultimately weapon design (in games) boils more down to what they do rather than what they look like. 

Thanks for the insight, though.

22 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

Assuming the weapon makes you immobile while firing or wielding, this would be a mechanic fitting of the Corpus, so even that can't be ruled out. I only suggested we didn't have to use that because we're talking a Grineer weapon, because the Corpus are Defensive and the Grineer are Offensive.

15 minutes ago, cittran said:

-snip-

The roles are five: Offense, Defense, Support, Control, and Adaptable.

• Offense rewards playing on the attack, such as harassing the enemy or leading massive assaults. Anything that encourages aggression is an offense strategy. The Grineer are of this Role.
  • Defense rewards waiting for the enemy to make the first move, waiting for them to move into your trap or preventing them from even getting pass to begin with. The Corpus represent this Role.
  • Support rewards synergy between game-elements, and is often ineffective while working alone. The Infestation are the support faction, and likewise the Cephalon equipment is also supportive.
  • Control rewards the manipulation of the enemies' behaviors, either in preventing them from acting or benefiting from them using their actions under certain circumstances. I believe the Sentient fulfill this role, as the mechanics of the Conculyst and Battalyst so far suggest this to be the case. (ie, Crowd Control)
  • Adaptable rewards and allows the fielding of any mix of other roles' strategies, by utilizing existing units of the other groups, or by manufacturing weapons that are able to be dedicated to multiple roles. The Tenno, Orokin, and Stalker all represent this role.

Edited by Krion112

3 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

Yah but that would make it useless in most of the game. Making it a severe niche weapon especially with resistance units like sentients and the stalker more common. Most people wouldn't bother if it hampered us that much. 

another good point but if im getting what the OP saying it should be a powerhouse meaning it turns everything into a bloody puddle so being able to turn everything into that just for some movement i think i would try it if even just for the giggles :3 plus you arent taking into account the various frames we have that can with mods as well make it even more deadly rhino, volt, saryn, loki, ash and so on.....better yet MIRAGE<---this sums why you need that set back imagine it mirage with her halls aug running around with this thing

3 minutes ago, Omnipower said:

another good point but if im getting what the OP saying it should be a powerhouse meaning it turns everything into a bloody puddle so being able to turn everything into that just for some movement i think i would try it if even just for the giggles :3 plus you arent taking into account the various frames we have that can with mods as well make it even more deadly rhino, volt, saryn, loki, ash and so on.....better yet MIRAGE<---this sums why you need that set back imagine it mirage with her halls aug running around with this thing

IMO loss of mobility while firing is a pretty big drawback in this game. Very few frames can face tank and you would need to be aware of your surroundings. Spooling up at the wrong time could easily get you killed. Personally I would rather have a drawback that impacts my play style rather than my load out if that makes sense. To each their own though.

17 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

IMO loss of mobility while firing is a pretty big drawback in this game. Very few frames can face tank and you would need to be aware of your surroundings. Spooling up at the wrong time could easily get you killed. Personally I would rather have a drawback that impacts my play style rather than my load out if that makes sense. To each their own though.

I would gladly have that drawback on misions like defence or Survifal, seeing as turning everything that comes within the eyesight of the wielder gets turned into a bloody mist, sounds like an amazing thing to me. 
Next to that, Think about it as something youd use when your back is up against a wall and people cover you. Yes you can get killed in the damn 6 or 5 seconds it takes to rev up, but it can be worth it at punch-through and a good 50-rounds per sec on a gigantic  Magazine.((And im talking HUGE here, like 3k bullets for a constant supply of death) 

1 minute ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

I would gladly have that drawback on misions like defence or Survifal, seeing as turning everything that comes within the eyesight of the wielder gets turned into a bloody mist, sounds like an amazing thing to me. 
Next to that, Think about it as something youd use when your back is up against a wall and people cover you. Yes you can get killed in the damn 6 or 5 seconds it takes to rev up, but it can be worth it at punch-through and a good 50-rounds per sec on a gigantic  Magazine.((And im talking HUGE here, like 3k bullets for a constant supply of death) 

The main real problem with such a drawback is similar to what happens in DOOM on the higher difficulties: you stop for a second, you get destroyed in a couple hits. Cornering up in a wall or corner simply doesn't cover all the angles, and as you stated a windup might mean death.