Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zombies: The most unrealistic thing about..... Zombies

TheJagji

Zombies: The most unrealistic thing about them.....

So, we have a LOT of Zombie TV shows, movies, video games, and even a few books. Today, I realized something....

There are 100% wrong.

So, for a min, lets just say zombies where real. Undead, shambling zombies.

You and your 4 bets mates are surviving. Your held up in a warehouse on the docks. There are zombies outside. Rotting copses of the undead. And none of you can move. There are no zombies in the where house, but they are still affecting your suitability. There undead rotting corps smell is wafting in to your hideout, the sell so unbearable that your all just trying to not smell it. But the stench is SO thick in the air, that that dose not matter, as you can taste the stench as-well. You die, not because of a bite, or getting eaten, but because of there smell. And you never packed a gas mask....

In playing it right now.

The only game I will truly ever love.

TLOU.

But people hurt my feelings by saying infected aren't real zombies:(

I guess dying light then....or are they infected too?

In relation to your post, I think you could live with the stench. It wouldn't kill you, There have been some pretty rank smells in the history of the world...

I think the only way to die from the smell is that if there is no cross ventilation and so only somehow the smell seeps in to replace the majority of the air composition. If there is cross ventilation, then at most I would think that you would only faint or go close to faint because of the smell and not from the lack of oxygen in the air. If the warehouse is located on the docks then for most of the time there should(hopefully) be an ocean breeze blowing in from the ocean to the land. So if all the zombies are on the docks only surrounding the warehouse with only one portion of it facing out at the sea, then smell should not be as quite effective or there would be no smell at all or if the zombies surrounded all sides of the warehouse there would be some smell but not enough to cause a person to die from suffocating at the smell. Anyways those are my thoughts on the smell killing you.

On August 24, 2016 at 8:44 PM, RetiredEdgeLord said:

If zombies were realistic, it would be nearly impossible to kill a horde yourself. They'll be running at you [in full usane bolt speed], and you'll have to destroy their brains, multiplied by dozens, hundreds, thousands. Yup.

If zombies were realistic, then it would be very easy to deal with a horde of them. Their muscles would be rotting and weak, and damage to any of their organs would kill them in a few days.

The human body is already remarkably efficient. For the vast majority of the time, you can't just get rid of an organ and have the organism live.

34 minutes ago, fishworshipper said:

If zombies were realistic, then it would be very easy to deal with a horde of them. Their muscles would be rotting and weak, and damage to any of their organs would kill them in a few days.

The human body is already remarkably efficient. For the vast majority of the time, you can't just get rid of an organ and have the organism live.

Really? I'm sure they'll tear down whatever you're hiding in... On day 1, and then then the zombie population just keeps reproducing everyday.

Edited by RetiredEdgeLord

Ehh. If you're in a warehouse on the docks you have enough air movement for the smell to be a none issue. 

I used to work security on a dock, there was near constant wind (nothing severe, but enough to make you Chase a paper you dropped) 5 nights a week.

Also, most warehouses have large fans built into them, to protect the contents and have more than one level, even if Its a catwalk around the perimiter, which would put the warehouse occupants above the smell.

If you want to change the location to a residential, single story house though, then you'd probably be right.  

1 hour ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Really? I'm sure they'll tear down whatever you're hiding in... On day 1, and then then the zombie population just keeps reproducing everyday.

Not really, because chances are the wound that made them a zombie would also massively hinder their living potential as a zombie.

Seriously, zombies are hardly a threat. They would never get to be a horde because zombies are just injured mindless people and injured mindless people are just as vulnerable, fleshy and weak as the rest of us.

1 hour ago, fishworshipper said:

Not really, because chances are the wound that made them a zombie would also massively hinder their living potential as a zombie.

Seriously, zombies are hardly a threat. They would never get to be a horde because zombies are just injured mindless people and injured mindless people are just as vulnerable, fleshy and weak as the rest of us.

Depends on your Zombie lore.

I have a relitive that is a Former US Army Ranger small arms expert.  he loves zombie games because there is zero moral ambiguity in killing them.... killing LOTS of them and has zero guilt we he does it.

You actually get used to the smell, no matter what it is, you get used to it eventually.

What gets me is zombies violate the law of conservation of energy.  Most humans need 1500 calories a day to sustain a normal weight... yet zombies spend every minute of the day shambling around spending energy and not consuming anything

1 hour ago, kkinnison said:

I have a relitive that is a Former US Army Ranger small arms expert.  he loves zombie games because there is zero moral ambiguity in killing them.... killing LOTS of them and has zero guilt we he does it.

You actually get used to the smell, no matter what it is, you get used to it eventually.

What gets me is zombies violate the law of conservation of energy.  Most humans need 1500 calories a day to sustain a normal weight... yet zombies spend every minute of the day shambling around spending energy and not consuming anything

Well....

It depends on if you are talking about traditional "risen from the dead" zombies that shouldn't be alive anyways, infected "zombies" that some people try to argue aren't zombies (;_;) or people on bath salts

On 8/24/2016 at 5:39 PM, TheJagji said:

Zombies: The most unrealistic thing about them.....

So, we have a LOT of Zombie TV shows, movies, video games, and even a few books. Today, I realized something....

There are 100% wrong.

So, for a min, lets just say zombies where real. Undead, shambling zombies.

You and your 4 bets mates are surviving. Your held up in a warehouse on the docks. There are zombies outside. Rotting copses of the undead. And none of you can move. There are no zombies in the where house, but they are still affecting your suitability. There undead rotting corps smell is wafting in to your hideout, the sell so unbearable that your all just trying to not smell it. But the stench is SO thick in the air, that that dose not matter, as you can taste the stench as-well. You die, not because of a bite, or getting eaten, but because of there smell. And you never packed a gas mask....

Ok, so you have  a fairly relevant possible point here, though not necessarily fully communicated.

I need further data. What type of slow undead zombie are we talking about here? Most presentations have delayed or slowed rot, so the issue you bring forth wouldn't be a health hazard.

Basically if it's a "Solanum" zombie (zombie survival guide) or a "walker" "walking dead", the decomposition process is decayed, this spreads out the potential toxins released into the air from decomposition to an unpleasant, but non-harmful musk.

If the zombies were to rot in a normal fashion. Then that would actually be deadly. Most of the unpleasant smell we associate with rotting flesh comes from ammonia, we detect it at similar ppm levels that we detect blood at (or rather the chemical reactions of iron on skin associated with blood) because it's deadly to us (ammonia, not blood). Masses of rotting flesh (at normal speed) would quickly release levels of ammonia that would cause light-headedness and even death, not to mention the possibility of lung infections acquired by bacteria attached to particulates of rotting matter that would be aerosolized in a "moan". Even local spores could be a potential risk, as fungus feeds off of the decomposition process, depending on the environment.

Just now, OverlordMcGeek said:

Trying to be realistic in this thread...

this is a haiku text

confusion bolts my mind

as this thread is about undead

yet you speak in realism

while this thread is for the not realism

lava can melt undead and it's cool