The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE Want's to remove mandatory mods...what about other mandatory things?

Hixlysss

25 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Frames don't have mandatory mods, I think they are in a good place. Putting Redirection and Vitality on everything is a choice  you made and many people don't do so. In fact, on some frames some of these mods aren't even wanted.

The main issue is that tying the damage increase from mandatory mods to weapon rank will make Forma-ing more painful once again, certainly for lower MR players (since I'll assume that a MR22 player will start out with a weapon who's damage is scaled to Rank 22 as per the mod capacity). It also removes a big credit sink and progression slower (took me a while to max out my damage mods back in the day), so it would likely have a big impact on the game economy too.

Simply removing them (and/or adding that base damage increase to the weapons themselves) would just free up two mod slots allowing for even more OP builds, which might not be exactly what we (or DE) want either. Maybe reserving some slots for "utility" mods that affect handling but don't increase performance would be nice, but then these need to somehow be useful enough for people to want to use them but not useful enough that everyone will run with the same ones all the time...

That is basically a lot of players agenda, they say build variety but mean more power, they just want the extra mod slots.

Whole thing is pointless now anyway, serration, split et al weren't ever mandatory, just optimal. The whole star chart could be completed without them and now endless is all but dead that's really all that's left.

I honestly can't see them ever doing away with those mods now. They have sidestepped the problem with the new star chart and relics, plus they realise the mods are a major part of what makes Warframe Warframe. Being able to transfer your experience (because that's what these ranked up mods are) straight into new gear is a very neat feature and fairly unique.

Change js all very well but don't throw the baby away with the bath water.

Uprooting this system would kill what makes Warframe unique.  I hate to say it but mods make the game go round.  The problem is you can't adjust the ranks on your mods and you have limited slots.  Warframes should have the capability of having two exhilus equipped and an augment slot.  Weapons should be able to have up to two exhilus slots equipped, but utility mods in those slots will cap at 5 drain.  So if you have a mod that is 12 drain, you slap it on there and it will cost five.  It is also crucial that you are able to adjust the ranks on your mods, that is something they will have to figure out.  Maybe an underclock/overclock system, where you can rank down a mod and it behaves at that rank, or even overclock a mod past what you have actually ranked it at and it will cost two drain for every level it is overclock (to a max of (+1 for three rank mods, +2 for five rank mods, and +3 for ten rankers).  Just a thought.

Edited by Danjal777

The only mandatory mods I can think of are

• redirection
  • vitality
  • serration

Everything else is optional and is used to take advantage of enemy weaknesses (corrosive, puncture etc). Powers are just extra things you can use or not use. I think the issue is that these have been part of the game for so long that people have based their play style on their mod configuration. If they remove these mandatory mods BUT, replace them with something equally as good or infuse the mods into warframes/weapons and have them rank as the main item ranks: base increase for rank 1 (don't give bonus to unranked), max or near max at rank 30. As far as the people who are saying that you can't play the game without flow, primed whatever etc: you're wrong. Think back to when you first started playing the game and didn't know all that much about mods. How far did you get through the planets w/o having all mods maxed and just went around thinking the game was really hard because you don't do a lot of damage and enemies were really tough? Then come back to today where people are saying the game can't be played without potatoes, forma and catalysts and you kind of wonder how they made it this far without them. Everything can be killed without needing a whole bunch of mods, forma, catalysts and potatoes, it just depends on how easy you want the gameplay to be. Do you want to only have a challenge when facing high lvl enemies, or do you want to have a challenge facing all enemies. Its the same thing as taking an electric lanka to fight grineer (why you would actually do that is beyond me), lots of challenge or less challenge.

2 hours ago, SigmaLambdaOmega said:

The only mandatory mods I can think of are

• redirection
  • vitality
  • serration

Everything else is optional and is used to take advantage of enemy weaknesses (corrosive, puncture etc). Powers are just extra things you can use or not use. I think the issue is that these have been part of the game for so long that people have based their play style on their mod configuration. If they remove these mandatory mods BUT, replace them with something equally as good or infuse the mods into warframes/weapons and have them rank as the main item ranks: base increase for rank 1 (don't give bonus to unranked), max or near max at rank 30. As far as the people who are saying that you can't play the game without flow, primed whatever etc: you're wrong. Think back to when you first started playing the game and didn't know all that much about mods. How far did you get through the planets w/o having all mods maxed and just went around thinking the game was really hard because you don't do a lot of damage and enemies were really tough? Then come back to today where people are saying the game can't be played without potatoes, forma and catalysts and you kind of wonder how they made it this far without them. Everything can be killed without needing a whole bunch of mods, forma, catalysts and potatoes, it just depends on how easy you want the gameplay to be. Do you want to only have a challenge when facing high lvl enemies, or do you want to have a challenge facing all enemies. Its the same thing as taking an electric lanka to fight grineer (why you would actually do that is beyond me), lots of challenge or less challenge.

There are not really any mandatory Warframe mods, I have quite a few builds without Redirection or Vitality.