Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo player stuck at Saturn, need advice on loadouts/builds

(PSN)doublenought_7

Question

I just hit MR7, and I've been trying to test out weapons and frames along the way but everything I try still seems to be too weak for Saturn and beyond. I've been building up my mods to increase the damage I can deal, but I'm starting to think I just have low tier weapons not suited for level 30+ enemies. What are some things available to me so I can keep progressing through the galaxy?

I don't have a specific loadout that I use, but my best weapons right now seem to be - Hek, Drakgoon, Boltor, Gorgon, Vulkar, and Paris Prime

My current frames are Loki, Nyx, Rhino, and Oberon, with Frost on the way

13 answers to this question

What elemental combos are you using? For grineer, use corrosive (toxin and electric) and heat. Or viral (cold and toxin) and radiation (heat and electric) 

most of the weapons you've mentioned are pretty good, so that's not the problem with them. Can you show us the builds you're using? That'll help a lot 

47 minutes ago, Jeahanne said:

With those weapons you should be ok. Especially Hek, as that's still one of the best Shot Guns in the game. If I may ask, what do your mod set ups look like at the moment?

I don't have the exact levels in front of me, but I always use the +damage mod, the corresponding +impact/puncture/slash mod, and I try to spec them with elements that favor the aforementioned damage type. I also have a punch through mod for rifles. With the Hek, I know I have the Hell's Chamber mod at least at level 3.

45 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

What elemental combos are you using? For grineer, use corrosive (toxin and electric) and heat. Or viral (cold and toxin) and radiation (heat and electric) 

most of the weapons you've mentioned are pretty good, so that's not the problem with them. Can you show us the builds you're using? That'll help a lot 

I've checked the wikis on the best elements vs enemies and have been using them appropriately I believe. I've got heat, cold, and electric available for most my weapons, and I've used mods to increase status chance on my weapons that have anything above 10-15% base chance.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)doublenought_7 said:

I don't have the exact levels in front of me, but I always use the +damage mod, the corresponding +impact/puncture/slash mod, and I try to spec them with elements that favor the aforementioned damage type. I also have a punch through mod for rifles. With the Hek, I know I have the Hell's Chamber mod at least at level 3.

I've checked the wikis on the best elements vs enemies and have been using them appropriately I believe. I've got heat, cold, and electric available for most my weapons, and I've used mods to increase status chance on my weapons that have anything above 10-15% base chance.

well, you shouldn't use any physical mods, at least not now, they're basically useless for a newbie, you should focus more on elemental dmg, and just putting up elemental mods doesn't mean you'll get the dmg type you want, you need to set them in order, just fyi 

just use dmg, multishot, x2 elements (dual stat in the weapon is status viable), crit mods (if crit viable) and fire rate/punch through, for the hek, go full dmg. paris prime, go crit, fire rate, and x2 elements..etc 

1) Make sure it's the "good" version and not the "damaged" version. (i.e. Serration with 10 ranks, point blank with 5 ranks, Hornet strike with 10 ranks, pressure point with 5 ranks)

2) Multishot is another major factor in damage (i.e. Get split chamber, hell's chamber, barrel diffusion)

Use radiation against Grineer -> heat + electric. Radiation will tear through most grineer unit except heavy gunner. If you have modded correctly and still struggle, then you'll need to improve your skills with using Warframe abilities. 

It sounds like my current issues are mod related, so I'll continue improving on them and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips. If the Hek is that good, should I be trying to forma and all right now or should I wait for even better weapons? 

I've also read that certain frames pair with weapon types for unlisted benefits. Is that true, and if so what frames go best with what weapons?

6 minutes ago, (PS4)doublenought_7 said:

It sounds like my current issues are mod related, so I'll continue improving on them and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips. If the Hek is that good, should I be trying to forma and all right now or should I wait for even better weapons? 

I've also read that certain frames pair with weapon types for unlisted benefits. Is that true, and if so what frames go best with what weapons?

you can always get more forma, so why not. also try to get the augment mod from syndicate for hek. this will vastly improve its performance.

only excalibur gets a passive bonus with some sword-type weapons (10% more attack speed)

obviously there are some abilities that synergize well with specific weapons, but there are no other frames that get a direct bonus with a specific weapon

mirage synergizes with synoid simulor

mag fares well with lanka or continous beam weapons

saryn works well with torid

(just some examples, it doesn't mean you cannot perform well w/o a specific weapon on the frame or that there are no other combinations that work nicely)

8 minutes ago, (PS4)doublenought_7 said:

The Hek is end game viable if you get your hands on the steel merridian augment mod scattered justice.  Add formas to it one at a time as you need more mod capacity.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)doublenought_7 said:

I've got heat, cold, and electric available for most my weapons

You need to get your hands on poison mods.  It combines with electricity into corrosive which is good against all the grineer with ferrite armor.  By itself it bypasses shields so it is good against corpus that way.  These reasons make it the second more important single element after electricity.

I can give you a contagious spread if you hit me up in game some time.  They aren't rare but they aren't exactly easy to get either.

https://goo.gl/ltLc9n

That's a sample Hek build to try and work up to.  Seeking Fury and Vicious Spread are personal preference mods, you could easily replace them with other mods that you like better.  The other 6 mods are pretty much mandatory though.  If you don't have primed point blank replace it with the normal version.

Thanks for all the advice, hopefully I'll be able to put it all to good use. One last question though - I would like to keep progressing with bigger and better weapons and higher level enemies without having to keep coming back and asking for help each time. Is there a good measure to tell if a weapon is decent enough to be viable for the increasing difficulties and/or end game content? 

I would also go with the Hek as your go to weapon. I also would build that frost as soon as possible as he helped me greatly in ranking up my Warframe. Also I would put the healing aura on frost as it really helps keep you alive when things get tough. I often would retreat for a moment, let myself heal a little bit and then jump back into the fray. Frosts bubble also gives you a chance to heal up while still taking down enemies. Seems a lot of us have mods we are willing to share if you find us in game. I have lots of toxic and elemental mods. 

Edited by Blueshade68

Sounds definitely like improving your mods could solve your problem.

As to certain weapons pairing well with certain frames - Try Redeemer with Loki. The charge attack on Redeemer deals a lot of damage (750 if all pellets connect), but because it's a melee weapon, shooting it from stealth deals x4 damage (and it's silent!). Slap on some mods, and it should be able to deal with *anything* you'll face, especially if you can acquire the new stance, Bullet Dance.

16 hours ago, (PS4)doublenought_7 said:

Thanks for all the advice, hopefully I'll be able to put it all to good use. One last question though - I would like to keep progressing with bigger and better weapons and higher level enemies without having to keep coming back and asking for help each time. Is there a good measure to tell if a weapon is decent enough to be viable for the increasing difficulties and/or end game content? 

Get a simucralim key, enter the simucralim in any relay, and test out your weapons against enemies that you have scanned.  You can choose levels of enemies as well as quantity.  See if your builds are then to your liking.  You can adjust builds in the simucralim as well.