Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Mission Concept] Stronghold {Dungeon Crawler combined with Warframe Gameplay} (Possible Gameplay of Dark Sector)

FoxFX

REDDIT VERSION OF THE CONCEPT

In every mission, we know exactly what mission type it is and have an idea of what enemies we will encounter. However, what if we were put in a mission where the mission type or tasks we need to do is not indicated...

INSPIRATION BEHIND THIS CONCEPT

MISSION: STRONGHOLD

• Basic idea and lore behind this concept is that Simaris tries to employ Synthesis Data of BOSSES into the Simulacrum, but the Data of the bosses were too corrupted and soon developed into rampant viruses creating new worlds within the Simulacrum.

• Simaris sends the Tenno with Lotus guiding them to investigate these Virus-created worlds without any idea what is inside them.

CORE MECHANICS OF STRONGHOLD

• {Player Limit}: 1~4 Players (Advisable to have at least 2 in a group)

• {Entrance Limit}: Open anytime

• {Level Limit}: NORMAL = Level 30 - 60 Eximus Units with limited spawn and encounter

• {Tileset}: Simulacrum Tileset with a "warped" background, NEW POSSIBILITY OF OPENING STRONGHOLDS IN DIFFERENT PLANETS

• {Unlocking the Content}: WIP on a Quest to Open all Stronghold Missions available.

THE GAMEPLAY OF STRONGHOLD AND MAP MECHANIC

• {Main Objective: Simulacrum Version}: Find the Virus and weaken it. It is that simple, but YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS IN THIS LABYRINTH OF A STRONGHOLD. In addition, players will need to complete an objective in a map node to progress int he STRONGHOLD

• {Main Objective: Outside of Simulacrum): Enemy stronghold/headquarters found, however information about the place is dark and unknown. The Lotus has employed agents for intel, but no luck on that either. So now she has resulted to sending a team to infiltrate and take out whoever is in charge of the place. POTENTIAL HERE TO BE THE DARK SECTOR

• Inventory Disabled while in a STRONGHOLD Mission

• {Map Mechanic}: Take this Image as an Example of a Stronghold Map. Players will start in one of those spaces and will have to complete the objective in that space. Once completed, players can choose which space they can go to next or have an option to leave. Initially the maps will be blank leaving the team questioning what could be in the spaces, but there are special mechanics that can allow players to find out which space contains what.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-booPKQbQWbQ/UUkcMlGmXPI/AAAAAAAAAjk/dpMPb3fbAGo/s1600/wgeosampletiles.png

STRONGHOLD ROOMS AND TASKS PLAYERS DO IN STRONGHOLD

Spoiler

START ROOM: Map Node in the Stronghold where players will start in

ELIMINATION ROOM: Map Node where players must defeat a set number of enemies

WARP ROOM: A Map Node that will either instantly place the group in a random undiscovered Map Node

SHORTCUT ROOM: A Map Node that will reveal a second Shortcut Map Node upon discovery that players can move to

TRAP ROOM: Upon discovery, will debuff the group that lasts until the next 3 Map Nodes traveled

TREASURE ROOM: Rare Map Node that contains Loot, Resources, and some other rare rewards

BREAKTHROUGH ROOM: Map Node where players must attack a door to progress. Special Eximus can appear that drops a bomb players can use to destroy it

OUTLAST ROOM: Special Ambush from the enemy that will require players to take on waves of enemies for around 5 minutes

SUB BOSS ROOM: Special Map Node containing a mini boss/Capture Unit that players must defeat to continue

BOSS ROOM: Map Node where players will take on the ruler of the Stronghold

MAP NODE TYPE

OBJECTIVE
Survive      Last against 3 Waves of enemy forces
Disable       Simaris creates Data Modules to carry to a device to disable and destroy it
Protect      A Mimeograph of an ally Cephalon is found, protect it from enemy forces
Treasure      Puzzle Room that may require cooperative teamwork to obtain
Contest      Arena-Type Mission requiring around 10-15 defeats
Breakthrough      Utilize a device in Excavation-like task to destroy a trap data-barrier
Shortcut      Takeout enemies and be instantly moved to an unclaimed Map Node
Safe Zone      Safe Area where a Mimeograph of Maroo/Darvo/Cephalon offers ammo/health for next battle

VIRUS

Area to fight the boss of the STRONGHOLD

STRONGHOLD ENEMY TRASH MOBS...NOT SO TRASHY

• Majority of enemies in the STRONGHOLD Mission are Eximus, but unlike the Eximus we know outside of the Simulacrum, some are completely different variants of the ones we know. In addition, there are Eximus Units with abilities you would never guess were possible adding a new sense of challenging gameplay. Players will test their hard-worked weapons against these new enemies.

GRINEER EXIMUS UNIT TYPES IN STRONGHOLD

Spoiler

STEALTHY: Casts an AOE zone of invisibility that lasts for ~7 seconds

MUTANT: Invulnerable to Status Procs

STALWART: Immune to Buff/Debuff Warframe Powers

FOCUSED: Immune to Perception Warframe Powers (immune to confusion, blind)

RIFTWALKER: Can enter the Rift for a few seconds

VENGEFUL: Gains attack power each time an ally is dead nearby

STEADY-FOOTED: Immune to knockdown/knockback effects

EXPLOSIVE: Deals high Blast damage to surrounding enemies and allies upon death

NAVIGATOR: Killing this unit can reveal one map node

KEY BEARER: Killing this unit grants a key required to open special chests in the Stronghold, has higher than normal stats

HOARDING: Killing this unit drops additional Energy/Health/Ammo

CORPUS EXIMUS UNIT TYPES IN STRONGHOLD

Spoiler

AEGIS: Casts an AOE device of Shield Regeneration that can be destroyed

PREPARED: Immune to Buff/Debuff Warframe Powers

FOCUSED: Immune to Perception Warframe Powers (immune to confusion, blind)

TRICKSTER: Can cast a Decoy of itself

TRAPPING: Deploys Bastille Field slowing players down in the AOE

MAGNET-FOOTED: Immune to knockdown/knockback effects

EMP: Leaves behind trails of Magnetic Field

NAVIGATOR: Killing this unit can reveal one map node

KEY BEARER: Killing this unit grants a key required to open special chests in the Stronghold, has higher than normal stats

MERCHANT: Killing this unit drops additional Energy/Health/Ammo

INFESTED EXIMUS UNIT TYPES IN STRONGHOLD

Spoiler

GIFTED: Pulses a Healing Wave to enemies upon death

PERSISTENT: Immune to Buff/Debuff Warframe Powers

PERCEPTIVE: Immune to Perception Warframe Powers (immune to confusion, blind)

CORRODED: Leaves behind a trail of Corrosive substance

IRRADIATED: Leaves behind a cloud of gas that inflicts Radiation

CLAW-FOOTED: Immune to knockdown/knockback effects

VIRAL: Leaves behind a Viral gas upon death

LOADED: Killing this unit can reveal one map node

REMNANT: Killing this unit drops additional Energy/Health/Ammo

EXIMUS PREFIX      ABILITY
{Element} Guard      Has increased damage resistance to their named Element
{Element} Striker      30% Chance for an attack to inflict their named Status Proc
Stonefoot      Cannot be knocked down or knocked back
Explosive      Deals high Explosive Damage upon death to enemies and allies alike
Perceptive      Immune to Warframe Perception Abilities
Stalwart      Immune to Status Effects
Vigilant      Turns Critical Attacks on it as Normal Attacks, Cannot be hit by Critical
Accelerant      Increased movement and Attack Speed
Lethal      Has increased chance to inflict a Critical Attack
Riftwalker      Can enter the Rift temporarily for a few seconds
Stealthy      Can turn itself invisible temporarily
Stalwart      Immune to Status Effects
Thief      Can "steal" one player's Aura Mod, players will need to kill this Eximus to get it back
Navigator      {Rare} Successfully defeating this Eximus reveals one hidden Map Node
Vengeful      Gains more attack power each time an ally is dead in the map
Fate      Can cast Link to only one ally sharing damage inflicted
{Item} Hoarder      Upon death drops large amount of {Energy/Health/Ammo}
Hunter      Can mark a player increasing their threat for a 30 second duration

ADDITIONAL MECHANICS TO CONSIDER

• {SIMULACRUM VERSION ONLY} Players that have a full Codex Entry of a certain enemy will gain additional affinity when killing that enemy in the Stronghold

• More map nodes complete grant more rewards/Affinity

• {SIMULACRUM VERSION ONLY} Nightmare STRONGHOLD comes with a "Bug System" which inflicts individual players with a negative debuff like attacking with Primary causes damage or something (Debatable)

• Nightmare STRONGHOLD increases enemy level each time players move to a new Map Node

• Sortie environmental challenges in STRONGHOLD "might" be possible

• [SPECIAL EVENT] STALKER AND ACOLYTE STRONGHOLD to occur occasionally offering unique set of Rewards

REWARDS FOR COMPLETING STRONGHOLD MISSIONS

• Rewards from STRONGHOLD can include cosmetic, Orokin Reactor/Catalyst Blueprints, Endo, and some other end-game rewards you can think up

• Rewards from completing Treasure Map Nodes can include new unique Rewards instead. Perhaps a new form of Rare Mods

TRAP ROOMS

• This type of room in the Stronghold might be exclusive to Nightmare Stronghold Missions
  • These rooms will be just like the other different rooms in the Map Nodes, but will contain different "Trap Glitches"
    • Exclusion the use of a Secondary/Primary/Melee weapon while in the room
    • Energy Drain
    • Energy/Health/Armor/Shield Reduction
    • High Gravity (Deals damage when you land from a jump)
    • Threat Trap (one ally is debuffed with High Level Threat)
    • Disarm Room (Disarms all weapons at the start of entering the room and places them in random areas)

MOVEMENT IN THE STRONGHOLD MISSION

• Players will need to start an "Invite Only" Party to enter this Mission
  • After completing a Map Node, players have the freedom to choose the next following actions:
    • On the Stronghold Map Node: the leader of the party will choose which will be the next destination to go to
    • Other team players can confirm the designated node or refuse or leave the group if necessary

ENDLESS STRONGHOLD VARIANT

• Much like an original Stronghold Mission, but will not have a Boss Room but will allow players to continue on room to room until they are all defeated.
  • Possible new revival mechanic that allows players to have infinite Bleedout state in each room
  • If all players end up in the bleedout state, it is game over and players will be rewarded for each of the rooms ventured through
  • Each room completed grants a new reward

MECHANICS OF STRONGHOLD MAP DEMONSTRATION
Spoiler

UhbBkUQg.png

Key to this Map Demonstration

• Green indicates current position
  • 3 Trap Icons indicating Trap Rooms
  • Dark Dragon Icon Indicating Boss Icon
  • Brown are Impassible Border
  • Grey indicating past visited map nodes
  • Blank Spaces are unknown areas players will venture

Movement

• After completing the first room in a Stronghold Mission, there will be a map that pops up asking the players to choose which Map Node they want to travel to
  • The Team can travel to spaces adjacent to their current location and to spaces adjacent to past visited nodes, this would spare the time it would take to complete the Stronghold Missions and not be too much of a time waster
  • Entering a Map Node will transport all players into a new map where they will be notified what room they have selected and other suprises
  • As mentioned, the main objective of a Stronghold Mission is to reach the Map Node containing the boss
  • If the team manages to discover the Map Node that has the boss, they have the choice to either fight the boss now or continue venturing the Stronghold

• Special thanks to @shpelley for granting me permission to reference his Reddit post for this concept. Additional thanks to @ArdentSky for assisting with the passives for Datum Weapons.
  • LINK TO THE FEEDBACK SECTION
Edited by FoxFX
  • Like 1

While I like the concept I don't see this hooking veteran players with a 1 mission per week limit (Back to same routine as soon as it's done) I'd suggest thinking of some other way to limit it that can be manually shortened by the players if they're determined enough.

Edited by -Amaterasu-
clarity

Just now, -Amaterasu- said:

While I like the concept I don't see this hooking veteran players with a 1 mission per week limit (Back to same routine as soon as it's done) I'd suggest thinking of some other way to limit it that can be manually shortened by the players if they're determined enough.

Simaris standing?

(I hate farming Simaris Rep, but I would for this.)

2 minutes ago, Nocam said:

Simaris standing?

(I hate farming Simaris Rep, but I would for this.)

Had something like this in mind or maby just syndicate standing in general since its use is pretty limited outside of small ammounts of plat once you have everything, maby you can buy a key or something. It just makes me cringe to think of having a week cooldown on something, and it would definitely feel a lot better if there were at least some way to shorten it.

Or since the main reward seems to be the weapons maby you could freely replay it with limited rewards like raids.

8 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

Originally in the Reddit version, the Stronghold Mission was to have Normal Strongholds be Daily while Nightmare Strongholds will be Weekly.

8 hours ago, MokutoBunshi said:

One of the rewards could be an exilus, maybe.

Also,  Sortie environmental challenges in STRONGHOLD "might" be possible  Why not have an elemental room to deal with? Maybe thats too much like a sortie....

]\'[

I'll be updating this thread with a "Trap Room Node" that has a Sortie-like mechanic added to it. The most challenging of these Trap Room Nodes will be put in the Nightmare Version.

In addition, there is another Eximus Unit I'd like to add in soon.

you know, i like the idea, but factorize it with all the broken mechanics this game has in order to trivialize enemies and the challenge always comes down to 0:

Blind em all, finishem all, corrode everyones armor, bladestorm em all, bring yer ev trinity, bring yer immortal valkyr, quite honestly, do you think this will bring any challenge against cheesing teams?

43 minutes ago, rockscl said:

you know, i like the idea, but factorize it with all the broken mechanics this game has in order to trivialize enemies and the challenge always comes down to 0:

Blind em all, finishem all, corrode everyones armor, bladestorm em all, bring yer ev trinity, bring yer immortal valkyr, quite honestly, do you think this will bring any challenge against cheesing teams?

I have anticipated that issue and I have addressed that with the new Eximus in Stronghold. If you see the list of these new Eximus, you will see some of them have abilities that are resistant to certain common Warframe tactics. One Eximus is resistant to Warframe Perception abilities, another resistant to critical attacks, another resistant to status procs, and one that has other Eximus abilities you won't see outside of the Stronghold.

I will be updating the list with more new Eximus enemies that can provide other twists and challenges players will not expect. Stay Tuned also for the Trap Rooms and more in-depth details on the Stronghold Map system.

3 minutes ago, rockscl said:

not sure what you mean by perception abilities, so i dont see how that could stop the classic radial spam

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/8/80/FogComba.png/revision/latest?cb=20160122092800

If you recall the Corpus Combas, their Power-blocking abilities is based on the categories a certain Warframe Power falls into. The Fog, Nul, Sap, and Slo Comba each do not block all powers but certain Warframe powers that fall one of these categories.

HERE IS A LINK OF THE $ DIFFERENT CATEGORIES WARFRAME POWERS FALL INTO

Perception

Perception powers are used to confuse or distract enemies, making them engage false targets, or prevent them from seeing the player entirely.

Buff & Debuff

This subset of powers are used to modify a unit's innate stats. Buff type powers enhance a Warframe or their allies, while Debuff powers weaken or cripple enemies. Some abilities can even perform both at the same time.

Mobility

Mobility powers enhance a Warframe's ability to travel between two points, or allow them to reach normally inaccessible places.

Damage

The most common type of power set in the game; Damage type powers deal direct damage to enemies, making them the ultimate offensive abilities.

The Eximus Units I have worked on so far is one that is immune to Perception Powers (Radial Blind, Molt's Threat, Nyx's Chaos & Mind Control, etc.). There will be one that cannot be affected by Buff/Debuff Powers soon.

TRAP ROOMS

• This type of room in the Stronghold might be exclusive to Nightmare Stronghold Missions
  • These rooms will be just like the other different rooms in the Map Nodes, but will contain different "Trap Glitches"
    • Exclusion the use of a Secondary/Primary/Melee weapon while in the room
    • Energy Drain
    • Energy/Health/Armor/Shield Reduction
    • High Gravity (Deals damage when you land from a jump)
    • Threat Trap (one ally is debuffed with High Level Threat)
    • Disarm Room (Disarms all weapons at the start of entering the room and places them in random areas)

MOVEMENT IN THE STRONGHOLD MISSION

• Players will need to start an "Invite Only" Party to enter this Mission
  • After completing a Map Node, players have the freedom to choose the next following actions:
    • On the Stronghold Map Node: the leader of the party will choose which will be the next destination to go to
    • Other team players can confirm the designated node or refuse or leave the group if necessary

7 hours ago, rockscl said:

Actually since every weapon and warframe (or build in general) has 1 kind of cheese, the whole squad would have only 8 ways to cheese 8 things and if these rooms are how he describes them if they are implemented an ASH Blade storm (for example) may work on 1 enemy type but not many of the other rooms.

]\'[

2 hours ago, MokutoBunshi said:

Actually since every weapon and warframe (or build in general) has 1 kind of cheese, the whole squad would have only 8 ways to cheese 8 things and if these rooms are how he describes them if they are implemented an ASH Blade storm (for example) may work on 1 enemy type but not many of the other rooms.

]\'[

To reinforce what MokutoBunshi has said, there is also the potential behind the Eximus units. As of now the Eximus Units we have could use a few changes, and many ideas for Eximus units and their abilities/effects can provide a better challenge without being to "cheesy."

PERSONAL REFLECTION

I want to share the reasoning behind the idea I have brought up in this thread. I feel it is sometimes important for me to let out what I am thinking especially when there is something wrong or out of place. To begin, I'd like to try and share an answer to a question a friend once asked me in Warframe:

What makes a game challenging?

Challenge comes from having to create new strategies and tactics for different scenarios, and having the skill to pull them off. Not enough of either and the game becomes repetitive. However, going to the opposite extreme will make a game frustrating.

Whenever a player enters a mission in Warframe they know exactly what type of mission it is, what type of enemy they are facing, and what weapons to bring and "cheese" through. It is this typical mentality that I fear is causing these "veteran players" to loose interest and seek out a challenging content.

The players themselves could always have the option to limit or chose different builds for the sake of personal enjoyment and challenges, but I feel there is a possibility of a new content to offer the excitement and strategic play they have been looking for.

Then there is the infamous "CC Rules the game" ideology that has run rampant in this game. However, with Eximus, we can include a new set of Eximus enemies that can counter such strategies easier and perhaps be immune to certain powers and status effect.

It is part of these things I have observed that led me to the realization of the Stronghold Concept.

A mission where players will NOT be able to know what type of mission they will get themselves into.

A mission where Crowd Control tactics will not always win out with these new Eximus units.

A mission that stacks the rewarding the more you venture and the more you discover.

A mission that grants a presence of exploration in combat.

Whether or not this idea will be effective I cannot say, but the best challenging scenario is a scenario you cannot predict.

DATUM WEAPON VARIANTS

Plans for Datum Weapons to be sidegrades like Primes/Vandal/Wraiths, however they come with a unique passive. Every 30 seconds a player equips a Datum Weapon, it is granted a 30 second passive. The idea for the Datum Weapon variants is to express the whole lore behind the Stronghold being a "digital glitch." Buffs that the Datum Weapons gain can include the following

• Status Chance
  • Critical Chance
  • Exploding Rounds
  • Infinite Clip
  • Overheat Mechanic

MECHANICS OF STRONGHOLD MAP DEMONSTRATION

UhbBkUQg.png

Key to this Map Demonstration

• Green indicates current position
  • 3 Trap Icons indicating Trap Rooms
  • Dark Dragon Icon Indicating Boss Icon
  • Brown are Impassible Border
  • Grey indicating past visited map nodes
  • Blank Spaces are unknown areas players will venture

Movement

• After completing the first room in a Stronghold Mission, there will be a map that pops up asking the players to choose which Map Node they want to travel to
  • The Team can travel to spaces adjacent to their current location and to spaces adjacent to past visited nodes, this would spare the time it would take to complete the Stronghold Missions and not be too much of a time waster
  • Entering a Map Node will transport all players into a new map where they will be notified what room they have selected and other suprises
  • As mentioned, the main objective of a Stronghold Mission is to reach the Map Node containing the boss
  • If the team manages to discover the Map Node that has the boss, they have the choice to either fight the boss now or continue venturing the Stronghold