Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Halloween skins released too late in October?

_BlueShade_

My first syandana and the one I use the most out of the 3 I now own was the DoTD undead banner. I love it so much.

what I really want this year though are some DoTD sentinel skins or armor sets. 

30 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

( ゚Д゚)ノ Ash and Atlas looked absolutely adorable with bunny ears...ADORABLE!!!

щ(゚Д゚щ) And the scythe candy cane skin wasn't available last year. WHY DE WHY?!?!?!1111

It wasn't? I got it....

Edited by Rogue_Striker

1 hour ago, Vastarov said:

It's funny to see people saying that DotD is not Hallowe'en-esque... since Hallowe'en IS the Days of the Dead XD (Well, traditionally "all saints" and "dead-day" only the day after... but well, potayto/potahto)

That's like saying Christmas and Christmas Eve are essentially the same thing.  .-.

6 hours ago, Noamuth said:

That's like saying Christmas and Christmas Eve are essentially the same thing.  .-.

No, it's not. Halloween is traditionally a celebration of the Day of the Dead. A custom celebrated in Mexico for hundreds of years. It's always been to do with skulls and bones and such. It's been known to be called, among other things: The Day of the Bones - The Day of the Dead - The Day of Death...

Spoiler

398px-Catrina_3.jpg800px-Mixquic_M%C3%A1gico_17.jpg800px-CemetarioAlmoloyaRio1995.jpg400px-Catrinas_2.jpg

It wasn't until Pagan tradition and America came along and changed the whole outlook on it that it became what it is today: giving out sweets, pumpkins and so on.

It's the same thing with Easter. Easter, as it is today, is nothing like it traditionally is supposed to be. Easter is meant to be the celebration of Jesus's rise from the grave. Easter, as it is now, is a Pagan mockery. Eggs, bunnies and everything else we visualise Easter today is all a Pagan tradition and nothing about what Easter is traditionally about.

Same thing with Christmas. The whole gift giving thing and the tree's and music all originated from Saint Nick. Santa actually has no place in traditional Christian Christmas. The Christian traditions are different. Also, the colours that represent Christmas are also a lie. The red and white style come from Coke a Cola advertisements and have nothing to do with Christmas. (http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-santa-claus) Before the 1930's, Santa and Christmas was depicted entirely different.
"The Santa Claus we all know and love — that big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard — didn’t always look that way. In fact, many people are surprised to learn that prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf."

Edited by Arniox

Halloween is Oct. 31st, andthe Day of the Dead, or All Saints' Day, takes place on Nov. 1st.

Two different holidays, on two different dates.

Ya know, like Christmas Eve is Dec. 24th and Christmas Day is Dec. 25th.

Who cares about the holidays origins?  Those two things take place on different dates.

Edit

Actually, if you want discuss the similarities between Halloween and The Day of the Dead, you can't gloss over the major differences of each holiday.  

The Pagans believed that Halloween was the night the veil was thinnest between the living and the souls of the dead, and they wore masks to protect them from evil or vengful spirits.  You know what they didn't do?  Paint their faces to look like skulls, vale treats for their ancestors, place candles on freshly cleaned Graves and hold parties.  That's the Day of the Dead.  They celebrate and revel, not hide.

And everyone knows that "Santa" isn't part of Christianity, (hek, the Vatican can't even tell you which of their 3 Saint Nikolas' the Santa legend is based off of.) just as Jesus' resurrection has nothing to do with rabbits, and both have eveything to do with one Roman emporer who fiddled with the dates and spun a tale to make it easier to convert the pagans.  

Edited by Noamuth

2 hours ago, Noamuth said:

Halloween is Oct. 31st, andthe Day of the Dead, or All Saints' Day, takes place on Nov. 1st.

Ya know, like Christmas Eve is Dec. 24th and Christmas Day is Dec. 25th.

Who cares about the holidays origins?  Those two things take place on different dates.

Edit

Actually, if you want discuss the similarities between Halloween and The Day of the Dead, you can't gloss over the major differences of each holiday.  

The Pagans believed that Halloween was the night the veil was thinnest between the living and the souls of the dead, and they wore masks to protect them from evil or vengful spirits.  You know what they didn't do?  Paint their faces to look like skulls, vale treats for their ancestors, place candles on freshly cleaned Graves and hold parties.  That's the Day of the Dead.  They celebrate and revel, not hide.

And everyone knows that "Santa" isn't part of Christianity, (hek, the Vatican can't even tell you which of their 3 Saint Nikolas' the Santa legend is based off of.) just as Jesus' resurrection has nothing to do with rabbits, and both have eveything to do with one Roman emporer who fiddled with the dates and spun a tale to make it easier to convert the pagans.  

Check.

9 hours ago, Arniox said:

No, it's not. Halloween is traditionally a celebration of the Day of the Dead. A custom celebrated in Mexico for hundreds of years. It's always been to do with skulls and bones and such. It's been known to be called, among other things: The Day of the Bones - The Day of the Dead - The Day of Death...

Hide contents

398px-Catrina_3.jpg800px-Mixquic_M%C3%A1gico_17.jpg800px-CemetarioAlmoloyaRio1995.jpg400px-Catrinas_2.jpg

It wasn't until Pagan tradition and America came along and changed the whole outlook on it that it became what it is today: giving out sweets, pumpkins and so on.

It's the same thing with Easter. Easter, as it is today, is nothing like it traditionally is supposed to be. Easter is meant to be the celebration of Jesus's rise from the grave. Easter, as it is now, is a Pagan mockery. Eggs, bunnies and everything else we visualise Easter today is all a Pagan tradition and nothing about what Easter is traditionally about.

Same thing with Christmas. The whole gift giving thing and the tree's and music all originated from Saint Nick. Santa actually has no place in traditional Christian Christmas. The Christian traditions are different. Also, the colours that represent Christmas are also a lie. The red and white style come from Coke a Cola advertisements and have nothing to do with Christmas. (http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-santa-claus) Before the 1930's, Santa and Christmas was depicted entirely different.
"The Santa Claus we all know and love — that big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard — didn’t always look that way. In fact, many people are surprised to learn that prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf."

The amount of things you get wrong in this post is staggering.

Easter wasn't originally a Christian holiday, as  Christianity wasn't created until about 2000ish years back by the Romans, the Pagan origins predate this by a very significant margin.

It was originally a Pagan festival to celebrate the Spring Solstice.

There's also a previous celebration for the germanic goddess Ēostre  but that had mostly died out by the first Christian celebration of Easter

So what we see today is actually a Christian mockery of a Pagan tradition.

Halloween is different to the Mexican Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead), which is a festival celebrating life, and your ancestors.

Halloween is an evolution of the Irish Gaelic festival of Samhain

Another being Christmas, which was first recorded in 336CE and was a christian adaption of the Pagan Winter Solstice festival (rather than the Jewish Hanukah), the Roman celebration of Saturnalia,  and 'Santa' being a green wearing man was drawn from a mix of The Green Man (Pagan god) and German mythology, combined with stories of St.Nicholas and then you are correct, the modern Santa was drawn from a Coca Cola marketing campaign.

Christianity having been made in Rome when it was, has very few if any purely original religious holidays.

They've all been drawn from other festivals from beforehand, mostly Pagan to 'replace' them and 'Christianize' those dates and festivals.

They've then been further changed by adjusting attitudes, marketing campaigns and the evolution of the Church.

23 hours ago, Noamuth said:

As a theme, yes they are. They're about the same event, aren't they? Or do you need to change the decorations from Christmas Eve to the next day?

Just now, Vastarov said:

As a theme, yes they are. They're about the same event, aren't they? Or do you need to change the decorations from Christmas Eve to the next day?

I admit, Christmas Eve/Day is a bad example.  I should have gone with Christmas and Easter instead - both holidays involve Jesus, just as both Halloween and DotD involve ghosts.

Just now, Noamuth said:

I admit, Christmas Eve/Day is a bad example.  I should have gone with Christmas and Easter instead - both holidays involve Jesus, just as both Halloween and DotD involve ghosts.

Hallowe'en IS the Day of the Dead, as it comes from the Mexican tradition of the Day of the Dead/Bones/etc. 
The difference between Hallowe'en and the Day of the Dead is just the date (31.10-01.11 instead of 01.11-02.11), but that's just according to the European Christian tradition. Mexican tradition has it exactly as Hallowe'en between 31.10 and 01.11.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly the first time, must be because I'm European and used to the European Christian Calendar.

And please, everybody, at least start writing "Hallowe'en" as it is supposed to be written, with an apostrophe before the final syllable.

1 minute ago, Vastarov said:

Hallowe'en IS the Day of the Dead, as it comes from the Mexican tradition of the Day of the Dead/Bones/etc. 
The difference between Hallowe'en and the Day of the Dead is just the date (31.10-01.11 instead of 01.11-02.11), but that's just according to the European Christian tradition. Mexican tradition has it exactly as Hallowe'en between 31.10 and 01.11.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly the first time, must be because I'm European and used to the European Christian Calendar.

And please, everybody, at least start writing "Hallowe'en" as it is supposed to be written, with an apostrophe before the final syllable.

Yeah, no.  Not doing this again.  Those are not the same holidays.  Find someone else to pick a fight with about this.

Just now, Noamuth said:

Yeah, no.  Not doing this again.  Those are not the same holidays.  Find someone else to pick a fight with about this.

Not picking a fight. I don't really care - I'm just surfing around and happened to stumble upon this thread.
But no, yeah, Christmas and Christian Easter are not about the same thing (same dude, two different events).

Don't be so passive-aggressive, man... chill... It's actually bad for both your health and your ego, in the long run.

2 hours ago, Vastarov said:

See my post above.

Halloween is drawn from the irish pagan tradition of Samhain, rather than the Mexican Day of the Dead festival.

There are similarities, but that's the source and why it's at different times.

As with many Pagan festivals, the Church tried to 'Christianize' the holiday.

4 minutes ago, DarkOvion said:

See my post above.

Halloween is drawn from the irish pagan tradition of Samhain, rather than the Mexican Day of the Dead festival.

There are similarities, but that's the source and why it's at different times.

As with many Pagan festivals, the Church tried to 'Christianize' the holiday.

This is true.

Christianity tried to convert many pagans, but since you can't simply force entire cultures to suddenly stop their cultural practices, those pagan celebrations were eventually integrated into Christian practices.

Another example would be that Christmas is derived from Yuletide.

Anyway, this thread is getting derailed and off topic onto a discussion on the origins of holidays, so we better get back on topic before it gets derailed any further. 

Halloween is still a whole week away, give DE some time before they finalize and release the event stuff.

6 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

This is true.

Christianity tried to convert many pagans, but since you can't simply force entire cultures to suddenly stop their cultural practices, those pagan celebrations were eventually integrated into Christian practices.

Hasn't stopped people from trying!

The Crusades, various Jihads, even the Romans - in a lot of ways, Christianity was an attempt at it, and it worked so well it survived the Roman Empire and continues to this day.

But as you say, this is a historical discussion, not a Halloween skins discussion.

I still say the Easter Bunny Ears, Movember Moustaches and Halloween Pumpkin Head SHOULD be permanent unlocks, not timed.

There's no reason NOT to, and really, worst case, if people don't want to see them just put a 'seasonal cosmetics' tab in visual options to turn it off at their end.

1 minute ago, DarkOvion said:

Hasn't stopped people from trying!

The Crusades, various Jihads, even the Romans - in a lot of ways, Christianity was an attempt at it, and it worked so well it survived the Roman Empire and continues to this day.

But as you say, this is a historical discussion, not a Halloween skins discussion.

I still say the Easter Bunny Ears, Movember Moustaches and Halloween Pumpkin Head SHOULD be permanent unlocks, not timed.

There's no reason NOT to, and really, worst case, if people don't want to see them just put a 'seasonal cosmetics' tab in visual options to turn it off at their end.

I honestly want DE to do this. 

15 hours ago, DarkOvion said:

The amount of things you get wrong in this post is staggering.1

Easter wasn't originally a Christian holiday, as  Christianity wasn't created until about 2000ish years back by the Romans, the Pagan origins predate this by a very significant margin.2

It was originally a Pagan festival to celebrate the Spring Solstice.3

There's also a previous celebration for the germanic goddess Ēostre  but that had mostly died out by the first Christian celebration of Easter4

So what we see today is actually a Christian mockery of a Pagan tradition.5

Halloween is different to the Mexican Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead), which is a festival celebrating life, and your ancestors.6

Halloween is an evolution of the Irish Gaelic festival of Samhain 7

Another being Christmas, which was first recorded in 336CE and was a christian adaption of the Pagan Winter Solstice festival (rather than the Jewish Hanukah), the Roman celebration of Saturnalia,  and 'Santa' being a green wearing man was drawn from a mix of The Green Man (Pagan god) and German mythology, combined with stories of St.Nicholas and then you are correct, the modern Santa was drawn from a Coca Cola marketing campaign.

Christianity having been made in Rome when it was, has very few if any purely original religious holidays.

They've all been drawn from other festivals from beforehand, mostly Pagan to 'replace' them and 'Christianize' those dates and festivals.

They've then been further changed by adjusting attitudes, marketing campaigns and the evolution of the Church.

Good to know, I was drawing my info from scatterings of info. I didn't actually know that much.
Very interesting to know this know. It makes sense though.
3 Also interesting.
4 Also interesting.
5 Ironic I guess. I got the muddled info from a friend of mine..... who happened to be christian. So there might have been bias-ism in that info :P
6 Didn't know this. I thought the two where the same/the came from the same origin.
7 Also very interesting.

Sorry for being so wrong :P I got a bunch of things muddled and my information is not really re-searched :P Just stuff I heard.