Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All melees should have innate combo-momentum

Jackviator

See title.

For those of you who don't know, combo-momentum is a hidden stat on a lot of melee weapons that renders you immune to knockdowns while in the middle of a combo, so as not to get interrupted. For example, weapons like the Galatine Prime and Prisma Dual Cleavers have this trait.

Thing is, I keep getting pulled back to these weapons over weapons that don't have momentum (such as the Dual Ichors) because it's such a QOL improvement to not get knocked down every 10 seconds by a heavy gunner, bombard, ancient/scorpion, etc while trying to melee an enemy or two.

And before I see any comments about "just hold down the block button at all times and you'll resist the knockdowns" or "git gud and just dodge-roll out of the way:"

A: Holding the block button at all times restricts you to one combo on a lot of melee weapons whose combos involve holding down the block button.

B: A lot of enemy attacks that cause knockdowns aren't telegraphed very well in order to roll out of the way. Yes, some are very well telegraphed (shout-out to shockwave moas) but as for the majority of the rest of the time, the knockdown is pretty much instantaneous with little-to-no time to react. Just look at heavy gunners. You have maybe half a second to react to them winding up a slam attack before you're flat on your *** getting shot at from all sides.

As it is, melee weapon momentum is too large a factor in terms of deciding what melee weapons I use and what melees I let sit on the shelf, and I feel that should be changed by making it innate to all melees in the game, from daggers all the way up to heavy blades.

in the grand scheme of the game, i'd prefer if Momentum was a feature, rather than par for the course.

infact, it might be ideal for it to be the reverse of what it is usually now - the less effective Melee Weapons having Momentum, and the super effective ones not, rather than just another Pro for the already superior in every way Melee Weapons.

Momentum wouldn't make sense on smaller, lighter weapons, because it's a function of mass.  Perhaps instead they could have a different mechanic for avoiding or mitigating knockdowns, like a chance to dodge (or be harder to hit during a combo, because of how fast you're moving), and quicker recovery if knocked down, that reflect the fact you're wielding smaller, lighter weapons, and can move quicker than you would with a massive hammer.

Edited by polarity

15 hours ago, polarity said:

Momentum wouldn't make sense on smaller, lighter weapons, because it's a function of mass.  Perhaps instead they could have a different mechanic for avoiding or mitigating knockdowns, like a chance to dodge (or be harder to hit during a combo, because of how fast you're moving), and quicker recovery if knocked down, that reflect the fact you're wielding smaller, lighter weapons, and can move quicker than you would with a massive hammer.

If we're talking about "making sense," well... we're in a game where cyborg ninjas fight ancient space zombies. Making sense isn't really the priority.

Besides, knowing DE, they'll probably want to take the most efficient route possible if they ever address this, so why not do the simple thing and add a frature that already exists to all the weapons rather than code an entirely new one?

Still, I could see a system like that working out to be interesting to play with, though the faster recovery time would have to be pretty significant (like maxed Handspring levels of significant) to make me want to use a smaller weapon compared to any weapon that has momentum.

Edited by Jackviator
sp.

16 hours ago, taiiat said:

it might be ideal for it to be the reverse of what it is usually now - the less effective Melee Weapons having Momentum, and the super effective ones not,

What would be the deciding factor there? Base damage, critical or status chance, speed? What about weapons with unique mechanics, like Gunblades or Syndicate melees?

Not to mention that with Warframe's complex modding system any weapon can be built into a killing machine if you pump enough Forma into it. Yes, your first choice for a Sortie probably wouldn't be a MK-1 Bo or Skana, but every weapon in the game can easily get you through the star chart.

Edited by Jackviator

20 hours ago, Jackviator said:

What would be the deciding factor there? Base damage, critical or status chance, speed? What about weapons with unique mechanics, like Gunblades or Syndicate melees?

All of those, of course.

Its rather easy to induce if a weapon is "good" or not. Put on the best possible build for it against a certain faction, and compare it to other weapons. If it performs inferiorly to one considered the average, than it is considered subpar. Otherwise, the else.

Hell, intuition itself is perfectly capable. Anyone with a fair amount of knowledge, and an open mind; can easily predict if a weapon is going to be good, great, ok or subpar based on its stats alone, let alone trial.