Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Galatine?

Rargon

Question

I started to play this game recently and just became MR5. Something I do not understand is the weapons. 

Maybe I have not figured out yet what makes a good weapon but I crafted the Galatine sword recently because statwise it seems to be easily the best sword.

So here is my question, what makes a great sword? I understand you can tailor your build to a specific weapon if you want but the Galatine sword seems to be the best overall, or am I missing something essential?

12 answers to this question

As a fulltime Melee dude it depends on what build you are trying to make. If you want a pure Crit Weapon, you have to look for weapons with at least 20% Crit Chance. If you want a Status build, look for a high Status Chance. Elements can be applied to either of them, but i don't run elements so i can't help you a lot here. Also, reach and attackspeed are important for some people. And keep in mind that Daggers are single-target AFAIK, they don't kill multiple enemies at once, so that's something to consider.

But overall, the "best" Weapon is subjective. For me, the best Weapons are (Prime) Nikanas, Dual Swords like Dual Skana or Dual Kamas Prime and (Prime) Polearms like Orthos, not because of their statts so much but because they are fun to play with.

The feedback portion of the forums is for feedback regarding the game, forums and the mobile app. Try the Players helping Players section for help regarding anything in game.

Galatine just hits like a truck early and can go into the late game if modded right. With the Galatine I tend to stack on crit chance and damage modifiers and mods that compliment its 20% crit chance like Berserker for increased attack speed on crit. Elemental damage also does wonders on it, but that depends on what you're fighting against.

Ok I posted this into the PhP section.

However what I took from your responses is that the crit chance and status effect is very important for some builds if you have the correct mods.

I think that maybe I thought that the Impact/slash/puncture (whatever kind of damage the weapons has) was the absolutely most important factor for overall damage and didnt think as much on the rest of the stats.

There are some factors that make each weapon have their advantages and disvadvantages :
-In term of DPS, the attack speed displayed is false, it's just a multiplier compared to other weapons with the same stance, so with same value, a sparring wepon will have better attack speed than a hammer.
-Critical chance / damages are really important, especially with Bloodrush + Bodycount/Drifting contact that allow you to redcrit with almost every wepon.
-Attack speed play a lot because its increase your chance of crit / status per seconde.
-Some stance have really unique features like finishers in mid-combo, area attack, ect...
-And finally, some wepons have uniques passives (syndicate melee, Caustacyst, Zenistar, etc...)

So, Galatine (non-prime version) have :
-Quit good dps, due to its high damages and moderate attack speed.
-Low critical chance but moderate crit damages.
-Moderate attack speed with low crit stats but good status chance, so not a good crit wepon but not bad for status.
-Cab use Cleaving Whirlwind with the combo "Broken bull" that grant 400% damages (but I dont really like it) and Tempo Royale that increase attack speed and allow you to attack all around you.
-No unique passive (juste a good range).

Galatine stay a good wepon in mid-game but not the best sword. And how Extroah sayed, the "best" weapon is really subjective because each wepon have differents styles.

2 minutes ago, Rargon said:

However what I took from your responses is that the crit chance and status effect is very important for some builds if you have the correct mods.

I think that maybe I thought that the Impact/slash/puncture (whatever kind of damage the weapons has) was the absolutely most important factor for overall damage and didnt think as much on the rest of the stats.

They are important too, but not for everyone. I myself use only Slash/Impact/Puncture Mods, Critrate/Critdamage Mods and Melee Damage Mods. Elements or Status only if really needed, not a fan of them on most weapons, specially not on Crit-Weapons. Berserker and Blodycount are good Mods for Crit-Weapons aswell, but you'll be fine without. Also try and get a Smeeta Kavat for the Red-Crit Buff goodness. :D

46 minutes ago, Rargon said:

So here is my question, what makes a great sword?

Style. So Galatine (Prime) is pretty high up there, but does not beat Nikana Prime=P

46 minutes ago, Rargon said:

I understand you can tailor your build to a specific weapon if you want but the Galatine sword seems to be the best overall, or am I missing something essential?

Keep in mind, that Galatine is a Heavy Sword and is therefore intended to dish out high damage and at a high range, but a much lower attack speed than other weapon classes. Additionally, if you don't go for status (slash procs ignore armor), Galatine's innate high slash damage is gonna do less and less damage against armored enemies at higher enemy levels.

Nonetheless, Galatine and especially its prime variant are top tier DPS melee weapons. Basically only weapons with crit at 25%+ can compete with it at higher melee multipliers, because Blood Rush (+ Maiming Strike) makes crits go insane.

55 minutes ago, Rargon said:

Elemental Mods are more important in general than the Physical Mods because they give a huge boost to damage against enemies who have a weakness towards said element. 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

Here you have all the details that you need for every faction. As a TL;DR I would recommend Corrosive/Corrosive+Heat for Grineer, Corrupted and Infested, Toxin/Viral/Viral+Radiation for Corpus. Unless you are going in with 4 Corrosive Projection auras [each member has 1 equiped] these combos tend to work best, viral however is recommended if you run with 4 CP. 

The most important Physical Damage type is Slash because the Slash Procs ignore armor and attack the health directly. 

As for the crit vs status, crit tends to work much better until really high levels, but after a certain time Status outperforms it. 

Edited by aligatorno

For melee (and most weapon) a Base of Toxic or Slash damage is leaps and bounds better than any other damage type.

It doesn't matter if Slash takes -50% to Alloy armor because one Bleed proc makes up for that loss to damage.

Crit weapons will outperform Status weapons up to a point against armor however Crit + Status weapons will out perform both.

So Galantine Prime is 95% Slash Damage, Highly crit viable and Highly Status viable while having the highest front-end damage of any melee.

I don't really like to compare melee weapons due to preference of stance but in terms of general performance Galantine Prime is not the best sword, it's the best melee weapon. There are a few weapons which can perform equally or slightly better against armor like Atterax, Nikana Prime and Prisma Dual Cleavers however those weapons cannot match Galatine against unarmored enemies.

It's important to remember that despite the basic information of damage modifiers... Corrosive is inevitably the best elemental against Both armor types, Viral is inevitably the best against Infested and Toxic is the best against Corpus. This is a result of scaling and for the most part you might as well throw out damage modifiers past lvl 80. This is true of Slash damage from the very start.

What makes the best "sword"? Mods.  blood rush, drifting contact, stances, primed pressure point, beserker, etc.  anything with 15% crit chance is reall'y good.  the galatine prime, nikana prime, anand fragore prime are thé moSt powerful with these mods.  without these mods though, focus on attack speed and elemental damage.  with this, your galatine will be good.  try to get either tempo royal or cleaving whirlwind for a stance. this will greatly increase your dps.  

"Best" is subjective, as people already said. I love the (non prime) Galatine but I also use stuff like the Atterax, Broken-War, Mios or Dark dagger. Keep in mind your weap might not look good on every frame, this is also a factor in choice.