Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Inevitable Thread That Will Show Up After Kogake Event Winners Are Chosen But I'm Making It Now Because I Like To Think Im Psychic And S#&$

Here

Joke title aside~

Was contemplating whether or not to post this, but since I typed it all up, I'd rather not waste the effort.

Disclaimer: This is not a rant or elitist speech and please don't take it as such. This is meant to be an informative post.
Half of this post can apply to any other video contest so it's closer to common sense than being specifically for this event.

Not all contests are fair. The only ones that are somewhat fair are raffle ones.
Believe it or not, this contest comes with a barrier to entry - that is at minimum, you must:
-Have a decent rig
-Know how to record and render with decent quality to prepare for upload

That's the starting point because regardless of what idea you get, anyone with the same idea but better quality will most likely have a better chance at winning than you. Another note is that embedding videos on forums is not the hardest thing in the world, yet people figure out to make and upload the video, but not embedding. Personally speaking, I do not think that those who did not bother embedding their videos bothered to make a decent video either as I've viewed a couple of them and they all look the same. It's essentially a filter but it's DE choice whether or not they're going to view them all in new links. I wouldn't. With that said, the next thing is to actually have a good idea. Warframe being the game it is, melee weapons only have a certain amount of animations and limited amount of ways to kill enemies.

The description of a "best kill" is actually pretty vague since different people have different "best" ideas. Keep in mind though, that the judges are actually DE and not you, so you have to keep in mind of other people's tastes and not just your own. On this note, this is seemingly another requirement that one must have an aesthetic sense that would appeal to the general public.

This means that regular 'E' Button mashing, jump slam, uppercut attacks, and charge attack videos probably would not have a chance. Keyword is regular here. Since these are something all players are able to do, one must do something involving Warframe abilities and/or the environment - gimmicks if you must, to have a good chance. But of course, in this event, not all Warframe abilities are equal as some of you should have noticed. Montages however, are a way of adding a bit of spice to regular kills, making it look nicer, but of course, this also requires that one knows at least the basics of video editing software.

Volts and Vaubans have an advantage due to how their abilities can manipulate their movements to the extremes. Just imagine any other warframe in their place doing or trying to do the same thing. It just wouldn't have the same effect. One could argue that everyone could make those warframes but not all players have enough slots or have farmed all the parts (especially vauban), which limits this to those who main those frames or have bought platinum and obtained more warframe slots.

Based on the rules taken literally, most of us at this point (including me) already think that there is one volt video that is a definite winner. Of course, this disqualifies montages if it was meant to be a single kill - which is probably around 1/3 or 1/2 of the total submissions

To sum it up, you are a guaranteed(IMO) winner if you
-Have a decent rig
-Good at editing (RAW videos still have a chance depending on how well the cut is filmed)
-Have an aesthetic sense that would appeal to the general public (probably not the overused meme clones)

--Have the skills to pull it off

---Used Volt(Speed) for it
-Embedded your video (minor point really, but yeah, it's like adding "have experience" to your resume)
-Did not make a montage (if rules meant 1 kill)
-Have friends - the more the better. Add a Frost(Freeze) / Rhino(Rhino Stomp), Mag(Pull) / Loki(Switch), and Vauban(Bounce)(Vortex) before the killing blow to any video and it will look infinitely better. (DO IT NOW BEFORE THE EVENT ENDS)

Pretty sure most of the winners are going to be volts unless DE reads this post and agrees with my points then decides to go all anarchistic cause I said those things - in which case I would be right anyways. Of course I'm just assuming how people think in this post so forgive me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_bias

I'm not trying to hate on or promote anyone's videos. Just using my own standards as a standard to explain what I think are the standards.

I just think that the moment 2 people make a video with the same kill, it automatically isnt the best kill at all, it should be unique. And if by any chance there is a unique kind of kill that lets say 3 people did, award the first one, he was the "original" even if the others didnt copy, he was faster.

I looked at many many videos, and seriously, most are the same thing. Edited videos with 5-10 kills are just boring, all the previous 18281737189 videos did the same thing. You added a nice track or some humor into the video? Your editing skills are good, but wheres the best kill?

I do hope DE judges the videos by best kill, and not best editing, I know how to truely edit videos, have been doing it for some years already, and I will post a kill with no edits at all, thats the whole idea behind it, a different and awesome kill, not a edit to show off my editing skills.

I understand what you're trying to say OP but from what you to say OP but I feel as though if you put in the time to edit and do all the flashy stuff then you deserve to win over someone who is unable to or didn't. I assure you though there will be butt-hurt individuals who will make a thread like this after the kogake contest ends.

Its just common sense really, you have to think of something creative that will impress them.
They dont want to see just normal/charge attack kills.. 

If a person doesn't have the rig to handle recording software then this contest isn't for them. 

That's just how it works, if you want to enter a singing contest you should be able to sing pretty well right? 
Same if you would want to enter a dancing contest. 
Well for this you need to be able to record videos, its the same concept

I just think that the moment 2 people make a video with the same kill, it automatically isnt the best kill at all, it should be unique. And if by any chance there is a unique kind of kill that lets say 3 people did, award the first one, he was the "original" even if the others didnt copy, he was faster.

I looked at many many videos, and seriously, most are the same thing. Edited videos with 5-10 kills are just boring, all the previous 18281737189 videos did the same thing. You added a nice track or some humor into the video? Your editing skills are good, but wheres the best kill?

I do hope DE judges the videos by best kill, and not best editing, I know how to truely edit videos, have been doing it for some years already, and I will post a kill with no edits at all, thats the whole idea behind it, a different and awesome kill, not a edit to show off my editing skills.

I in no way mentioned anything about my video nor was I trying to make it sound like my video had the requirements. I had a few clips and planned to submit an unedited kill but had another idea as I recorded more shots. The way you are replying to me was exactly the reason I was hesitant to post this. My video definitely doesn't meet the requirements I posted, and I could have tailored it specifically for the event, but decided against it since it would at least be enjoyable out of context of this event.

Edit:Misread the 2nd quote. Removed.

Edited by Here

They should have just made the contest only raw videos. There are way too many videos of people doing boring stuff, but have sound effects, inserted explosions, rocking music, and just better quality in general. To me, DE was way too vague with the rules for the contest. So many people had questions on whether montages were allowed, if editing was allowed, can skill be used, ect... and DE answered nothing. Whether this was intentional or not is unknown, but still the general rules give some people a bigger advantage.

Anyway, I dont really care. I know im not going to win because some other videos looked better, but it was fun to make a video which I havn't done in years. I had a good time just using the kogake and looking for cool things that they are capable of. IMO the point the of this event was just that, to give an incentive for people to look for creative things to do with a badass new weapon. Only 5 people that spent a lot of time and effort in their videos will win the platinum, but whatever, I'm sure DE will pick the best of the best.

(Humorous) Facts about events i witnessed so far (and i say here and now that those are my personal facts, not the truth and neither am i aiming at insulting or flaming anyone nor do i mean what i say in any personal way so.. if you feel offended.. it's YOUR problem because i just want to have fun and other people to share it with me)

-Some who did not win will say that the winners chosen have submitted worse entrys than theirs.

-Many who say "Congratulations" fall into the above category and lie.

-Even more will say "Congratulations" and are honest about it because they did not care in the first place.

-Alot can't participate in the event because they can't record videos because of a bad computer.

-Even more don't know how to record videos in the first place.

-Most of them were told that "F6" is the screenshot button for the last giveaway.

-Alot of those postet their entrys starting with c:\

-Atleast 3 of 5 winners will be russian.

-Atleast 3 of 5 winners are set up kills and not actual gameplays.

-Atleast 3 of 5 winners play Warframe at max settings with high fps.

-Atleast 2 of 5 winners are founders.

-Atleast 2 of 5 winners don't need the platinum.

-Atleast 2 of 5 winners have stupid nicknames.

-The rest has either cool or compared to the above statement...even worse nicknames.

-Most of the above facts are wrong

-Some may be true

-Or not

Cheers ^^

I in no way mentioned anything about my video nor was I trying to make it sound like my video had the requirements. I had a few clips and planned to submit an unedited kill but had another idea as I recorded more shots. The way you guys are replying to me was exactly the reason I was hesitant to post this. My video definitely doesn't meet the requirements I posted, and I could have tailored it specifically for the event, but decided against it since it would at least be enjoyable out of context of this event.

I wasnt talking about yours, and Im not contesting your point, to me the whole point of the contest should be explore the potential of the melee weapon along with techniques, abilities and the tile set unique stuff you come around ingame.

If I add flashy effects, music, and stuff, with a lot of cutscenes, its not unique, I just added many effects but the kill continues to be a normal kill, thats my point, DE set really any kind of limits, so thats given a big margin for people to do many boring videos with music, effects and stuff, they are just plain boring.

Im tired of the Sparta quotes, the many dubsteps, and the ones with FF and slowmotion to make a simple roundhouse kick look better, but its still the same normal boring move, so if I do a super combo using something unique, but dont add a flashy effect, my video should be considered a less better kill than a montage?

I wasnt talking about yours, and Im not contesting your point, to me the whole point of the contest should be explore the potential of the melee weapon along with techniques, abilities and the tile set unique stuff you come around ingame.

If I add flashy effects, music, and stuff, with a lot of cutscenes, its not unique, I just added many effects but the kill continues to be a normal kill, thats my point, DE set really any kind of limits, so thats given a big margin for people to do many boring videos with music, effects and stuff, they are just plain boring.

Im tired of the Sparta quotes, the many dubsteps, and the ones with FF and slowmotion to make a simple roundhouse kick look better, but its still the same normal boring move, so if I do a super combo using something unique, but dont add a flashy effect, my video should be considered a less better kill than a montage?

I only assumed you were talking about mines since you mentioned "you" in your post. And I have mentioned the problem with what you are saying.

This means that regular 'E' Button mashing, jump slam, uppercut attacks, and charge attack videos probably would not have a chance. Keyword is regular here. Since these are something all players are able to do, one must do something involving Warframe abilities and/or the environment - gimmicks if you must, to have a good chance. But of course, in this event, not all Warframe abilities are equal as some of you should have noticed. Montages however, are a way of adding a bit of spice to regular kills, making it look nicer, but of course, this also requires that one knows at least the basics of video editing software.

The problem really, was with the rules stated for the event. Nothing really concrete was stated on how the video should be made. Also, a few posts down on the first page, DERebecca did mention that editing was allowed. Because of that one statement, the bar was practically raised. Anything that isn't an edit would have looked too plain and not have a chance.

If you are going to edit something together, that's fine too, just keep it under 20 seconds!

Edited by Here

This is kinda like saying racing against an Olympic sprinter is unfair. Or that street racing your Volvo against a Porsche is unfair.

Well, it is unfair. Proper with better gear, more time to practice, and maybe more skill ... will more often than not win over people without the same advantages. That's part of any competition, even a subjective one like this where "best video" is an open interpretation.

Edited by DaftMeat

Joke title aside~

Was contemplating whether or not to post this, but since I typed it all up, I'd rather not waste the effort.

Disclaimer: This is not a rant or elitist speech and please don't take it as such. This is meant to be an informative post.

Half of this post can apply to any other video contest so it's closer to common sense than being specifically for this event.

Not all contests are fair. The only ones that are somewhat fair are raffle ones.

Believe it or not, this contest comes with a barrier to entry - that is at minimum, you must:

-Have a decent rig

That's the starting point because regardless of what idea you get, anyone with the same idea but better quality will most likely have a better chance at winning than you. Another note is that embedding videos on forums is not the hardest thing in the world, yet people figure out to make and upload the video, but not embedding. Personally speaking, I do not think that those who did not bother embedding their videos bothered to make a decent video either as I've viewed a couple of them and they all look the same. It's essentially a filter but it's DE choice whether or not they're going to view them all in new links. I wouldn't. With that said, the next thing is to actually have a good idea. Warframe being the game it is, melee weapons only have a certain amount of animations and limited amount of ways to kill enemies.

The description of a "best kill" is actually pretty vague since different people have different "best" ideas. Keep in mind though, that the judges are actually DE and not you, so you have to keep in mind of other people's tastes and not just your own. On this note, this is seemingly another requirement that one must have an aesthetic sense that would appeal to the general public.

Volts and Vaubans have an advantage due to how their abilities can manipulate their movements to the extremes. Just imagine any other warframe in their place doing or trying to do the same thing. It just wouldn't have the same effect. One could argue that everyone could make those warframes but not all players have enough slots or have farmed all the parts (especially vauban), which limits this to those who main those frames or have bought platinum and obtained more warframe slots.

Based on the rules taken literally, most of us at this point (including me) already think that there is one volt video that is a definite winner. Of course, this disqualifies montages if it was meant to be a single kill - which is probably around 1/3 or 1/2 of the total submissions

To sum it up, you are a guaranteed(IMO) winner if you

-Have a decent rig

-Good at editing (RAW videos still have a chance depending on how well the cut is filmed)

-Have an aesthetic sense that would appeal to the general public (probably not the overused meme clones)

--Have the skills to pull it off

---Used Volt(Speed) for it

-Embedded your video (minor point really, but yeah, it's like adding "have experience" to your resume)

-Did not make a montage (if rules meant 1 kill)

-Have friends - the more the better. Add a Frost(Freeze) / Rhino(Rhino Stomp), Mag(Pull) / Loki(Switch), and Vauban(Bounce)(Vortex) before the killing blow to any video and it will look infinitely better. (DO IT NOW BEFORE THE EVENT ENDS)

Pretty sure most of the winners are going to be volts unless DE reads this post and agrees with my points then decides to go all anarchistic cause I said those things - in which case I would be right anyways. Of course I'm just assuming how people think in this post so forgive me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_bias

I'm not trying to hate on or promote anyone's videos. Just using my own standards as a standard to explain what I think are the standards.

berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

I'm still waiting for an event that is actually interesting.

Trying to devote hours to make a compelling 20 second video then submit it into a sea of samey videos is just not interesting to me, and I imagine that it's not interesting to most players.

Hands down the best event so far was the Moa event, and that's not really saying much... I think I liked the little easter changes more than any of the events.

I would love to see something more like... who can get the most kills in a single weekend with indivdual, clan and average clan kill brackets (basically the last one being the number of kills an entire clan gets divided by the number of members that logged in that weekend). Or maybe something like.... if we can, as a community, get 10 million kills in one weekend a special 12 hour potato alert pops or something to that effect.

I'm sorry, I know they are trying to think outside the box but video submissions are pretty weak, especially when there is built in "features" to the game that makes anyone with an NVidia card have better visuals; and it's even more lame to ask us to showcase melee which is very very shallow in my opinion.

Would have been 10,000% more interested in this event if it was "who could get the most kills with the Kogake" this weekend.

I have to agree with the "lame weekend idea, lame contest idea" sentiment as far as personal preference goes. I also think these guys are insanely busy, and it isn't fair of me to expect them to keep coming up with "weekend events" that I'll want to be part of.

New assets require many man-hours, and at this point I'd rather have them spend their time on polish. If I see one or two kill videos that I enjoy watching, I'll call this event a win.