The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven System is highly unrewarding and may lead to the downfall of warframe

--Q--Ascended-Seraphim

9 hours ago, Toran said:

I wouldn't compare it with the focus system at all. You can do your focus on the fly, you can work towards a specific focus build. Some of the stuff is very nice to have and in contrast to Riven Mods you don't have to invest days of work or platinum and do the bloody Sedna Ruskala treadmill over and over for some kuva

I actually 100% agree with everything you've said here, and in fact it mirrors a lot of the things I've said previously.

My comment about the focus system was more about taking the argument of "well, just ignore Rivens" to the next absurd level. If people say to just ignore Rivens, why not ignore focus or ignore corrupted mods or any frame released since update 1. It's a ridiculous argument to use because if it's in the game, it should be accessible and reasonably fair to players, like every other system currently in the game.

(I say reasonably fair knowing that there are of course certain levels of rng at the moment, but on the most part the rng walls are generally fair)

I keep getting Panthera and Paracyst Riven mods (2 of each) while I'm seeing everyone else get Tonkor, Sybaris, Soma, Quanta etc. Even the most desirable stats for the Rivens I have, they still perform worse than any of the desirable weapons with half effective mods. I'm really loathing this system and its enough to make me not want to spend money on the game anymore.

How about actual weapon rebalance instead of a band aid that doesn't make the worthless weapons usable?

13 hours ago, Trittium00 said:

I actually 100% agree with everything you've said here, and in fact it mirrors a lot of the things I've said previously.

My comment about the focus system was more about taking the argument of "well, just ignore Rivens" to the next absurd level. If people say to just ignore Rivens, why not ignore focus or ignore corrupted mods or any frame released since update 1. It's a ridiculous argument to use because if it's in the game, it should be accessible and reasonably fair to players, like every other system currently in the game.

(I say reasonably fair knowing that there are of course certain levels of rng at the moment, but on the most part the rng walls are generally fair)

Hahahaha . . . y'know that expression; "there's always one", well, I'm the one, I ignore all 3 of those [not the Frames], and in over 3 years of playing it hasn't affected my competitive position in the game . . . goes to show you DON'T need them, lol.

Edited by CaptainEras

6 hours ago, NativeKiller said:

I would have been happier if Riven mods never happened in the first place.

Ignore them, don't buy into the hype. People need to wake up and take a very good look at the product they are getting so passionate about. These mods give piddling little to weapons we hardly ever or never use.

A well pollied weapon, maxed out, doesn't need any riven mod.

I suspect all the hype about them is coming from newer members to the ranks. Although some bright young spark will find a way to get value from them they are definitely not essential.

Remember, mod slots are very valuable so to all I say; "is that riven mod the best mod for that slot", when you have a large collection of mods the answer will probably be, no.

Edited by CaptainEras

Who wants to bet Galatine P and T. Bolt Ace will have feint disposition?

Also the game is more popular than ever according to steam charts, if DE plays their cards right, they can easily overtake TF2, Rocket League and GTA V and become a solid #3 after CSGO and DOTA2, especially considering all of those games had been experiencing a fairly consistent stagnation and even decline in the population. This is a pivotal moment in warframe history and DE is patching the crap out of the game right now. I hope it works out in the end and I highly doubt it will be a "downfall" of warframe. 

i just have to step back and point out that calling a single system, that has no real impact on game play other than allowing "trash tier" weapons (braton,gorgon,etc) to be end game viable without gimping your self, to be the downfall of warframe is an extremely narrow minded thing to say. yes they could be implimented better but if riven mods have become your entire reason for playing then i feel sorry for you

4 hours ago, CaptainEras said:

Hahahaha . . . y'know that expression; "there's always one", well, I'm the one, I ignore all 3 of those [not the Frames], and in over 3 years of playing it hasn't affected my competitive position in the game . . . goes to show you DON'T need them, lol.

you could get buy playing a single frame with a single primary, secondary and melee weapon and never use anything else and still do end game content. you dont need anything else but those in the game to play the game to the end of it but alot of people find its nice to change it up occasionally and explore new play styles

10 hours ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

you could get buy playing a single frame with a single primary, secondary and melee weapon and never use anything else and still do end game content. you dont need anything else but those in the game to play the game to the end of it but alot of people find its nice to change it up occasionally and explore new play styles

I have every frame and weapon except the new ones which came this week. I dumped the weapons I have no interest in using but still have a mountain of stuff which I mix and match.

Apart from the obvious 'deathmatch' fillers and kicking an object around I take part in all aspects of the game including the nodes other people tend not to use.

Syndicate has always been a big part of the game as well as the keys . . .now relics, void, etc., etc., so, no, I'm not someone who doesn't indulge in most aspects of this game. I haven't been idle, my weapons are all finely tuned and battle tested.

There is a world without riven mods and from where I'm standing there is no individual or collective event which would threaten the survival of this game. Warframe is totally unique and with some of the best eye candy found anywhere.

To qualify my argument against the need for riven mods I'll just say this, something which comes from how I play the game, and I'm sure there are plenty of winning combinations out there which I can adopt over the need to use what riven mods offer.

I have heard people say that the Telos Boltor is the poor cousin of the Boltor Prime, I have both and always use the Telos.

You can get a slightly higher figure for Corrosive on the Prime but you are playing a standard mag of Prime 60 against Telos 90 [and with expanded mag an even bigger difference] which in the field has come down on the side of the size of the mag against the slight power advantage.

Did similar experiments with one of the best primary weapons, the Hek and the Vaykor Hek. The Hek [with mag mod taking it from 4 to 6 shot] has corrosive of 17,463 and puncture of 3,783. While the Vaykor Hek [with mag mod taking it from 8 to 13 shot] has corrosive of 9,147 and puncture of 1.982. Again, the larger mag wins out in the field over the power. This is a good example of the quality which comes from Syndicate.

When it comes to quality mods I don't need to look ar riven mods . . .try; Argon Scope with 135% crit chance with aiming for 9 secs, it's lethal. Try Stabilizer with -60% recoil and see the damage that very steady and accurate does, it acts like the best multishot in the game as more shots are on target.

I also have all the syndicate mods for the Frames giving them the 'special' powers squads are usually requesting . . .again, thoroughly battle tested so that I can do what is expected of me.

I have only scratched the surface of the possibilities with Titania so at the moment my all round best frame is Ivara, and the loadout: Ignis or Vaykor Hek, Sonicor, Broken Sword or Kesheg. My Kubrow since day one always goes with me except when my Kavat gets an outing, I'm a sucker for cats.

Edited by CaptainEras

4 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

That's a good thing.

no it isnt. just because you have a top end weapon doesnt mean you know how to use it because of having no experience with the weapon in the first place. same reason i dont use warframe build because paper DPS doesnt actually work.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

3 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Are you drunk? That has less than nothing to do with what I just posted.

did you read? all i did was say no it isnt. i gave a possible reason why it is bad. try again please. good thing some of that stuff is MR locked.

14 hours ago, NativeKiller said:

I would have been happier if Riven mods never happened in the first place.

Kinda agree.

if De wanted to truely boost underused weapons, then they would have simply made specific 'Riven' mods for those weapons. i.e. Braton faster reload/multishot/status... Grataka, Gorgon, Karak...

Riven mods are time and platt sinks, end of story. 

7 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

No, you didn't. You reason has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

what exacly were you talking about? your response to what you quoted was "That's a good thing" elaborate. how is it good that buying top end equipment is better than earning it through normal gameplay?

10 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

what exacly were you talking about? your response to what you quoted was "That's a good thing" elaborate. how is it good that buying top end equipment is better than earning it through normal gameplay?

Rivens are mods, not equipment, and even if you farmed parts of top end equipment versus trading for them, you would get the exact same amount of experience with them, i.e., none. We aren't talking about leveling them.

Just now, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Rivens are mods, not equipment, and even if you farmed parts of top end equipment versus trading for them, you would get the exact same amount of experience with them, i.e., none. We aren't talking about leveling them.

mods are actually equipment. the mods also determine how useful/powerful your equipment is. now i understand what you are talking about. 

10 minutes ago, Troll_Logic said:

Riven is bad but Kuva itself is worse.

DE needs to be more clear about the rivens intended purpose. they put 3 restrictions on them. Sortie, MR, how many you can hold at a time. some only add more functionality to older weapons (imo this is not a late game mechanic). kuva needs some tweaking but my overall experience with how to obtain it wasnt bad.

2 minutes ago, Aratir said:

I just really hope that with the next update a new something will come and riven will be left behind...like with everything.

rather than just leave it in the shadows how about they work on it till the majority of players can enjoy the system. isnt it better to give feedback on how to improve it than to just say it was a bad idea it should go away? people said this about Parkour 2.0 and about new archwing flight but really all the new archwing flight needs is seperate controls and for the old system to be used for tight corridor maps since it works exceedingly well in open space.

6 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

There is no string so you don't know the context of the remark he is commenting on. Therefore you don't know the context of his reply.

However, we are talking about gaming so how can trading to obtain an item be seen as efficient and rewarding ? doesn't that work against the whole point of gaming. What comes next, someone else playing the game for you ?

As for kuva farming, this is fun and marries well with the routine for relic/traces missions and creates an opportunity for the operator to engage with the game.

Edited by CaptainEras

Gave The riven system another try. 

And concluded that it's totally pointless and based on sheer luck. There is no way to influence the outcome at all.

the only thing I can do right now is to:

1. ignore the system and play the game as it is. 

2. Throw plat at the screen and BUY my way to the top. cos someone struck the lottery.

Pay to win has never looked so real in warframe. bleak times ahead.