Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Changing the way Focus is gained

Shockwave-

With the new operators, and the Sortie being changed to duplicate lenses, i'm reposting an idea to changed the way focus is gained (not any powers of focus). The main problem I have with focus is I have lenses on 3 weapons and 3 frames at the moment (and two of those frames are ash and loki, no longer good for focus farming). The way focus is gained means I have to use those frames to get focus, and no other frames or weapons.

Even with dupliucate lenses a thing now, it will take a long time to greater lens every frame and weapon. In addition, when you max out a school (which I have) then you need to remove all those lenses or else you keep putting focus cap towards that school. You can't remove a lens or even destroy it, only replace it with another lens.

This is unwieldy, and pushes players into playing certain frames and weapons.

How Focus Should work:

1) Remove lenses from weapons and put them back in inventory.

2) Remove lens slots from weapons and frames

3) Add 5 lens slots to the Operator. Allow the player to insert a greater lens/lesser lens into each of the 5 slots.

4) Focus is gained in exactly the same manner, and each weapon and frame is treated as having a lens on it for the purpose of focus gain (if the item is lvl 30 then affinity is converted to focus, if not it isn't).

5) The "lens" being used on the frame and weapons in any given mission is whatever focus school you are using. If you want to gain points in Naramon you must use Naramon, if you want to gain in Unairu, you must actually use Unairu. Whatever you are using projects it's lens onto all 4 things used in the mission (or less if less is used) exactly as it is today if you had 4 lenses of the same type on your gear (or 3 lenses on 3 pieces of gear). No changes to the amount gained or how affinity is split. 

6) The 100K daily limit is retained.

7) Lenses Break. After X amount of affinity is channeled through the lens, it breaks, requiring a replacement lens. This compensates for only needing 5 lenses, ever. Since they are duplicated in the sortie now, they should be in steady supply, and this would be a sink for them, and encourage market sales for DE as well. The breakage factor can be set so nobody should be able to keep 1 of each greater lens going all the time, meaning when your naramon breaks, you may have to use a different school for while until you get a new greater naramon (or use a lesser) or trade or buy or go without focus accumulation.

8) Possibly add 10 slots to the operator (an "on deck" lens slot for each school so affinity gains are seamless if the lens breaks mid-mission), or make the breakage occur on the first daily log in reward trigger after the limit has been reached so it's uniform.

This frees Tenno to use any frame and weapon. With Riven mods and Weapon only sorites DE has seemingly placed a premium on tenno using a diverse set of weapons, yet focus is severely limiting to that diversity. It retains the need for lenses, and requires lenses to be constantly obtained, making them attractive for trading and market purchases. It doesn't change anything else about the focus system (which is a separate issue). This also encourages using various focus schools, instead of maxing out Unairu while never actually using the Unairu school.

Edited by Shockwave-

Oh damn, I like it, cause i dont have to shoehorn myself into one frame or weapon to gain focus. (which i think was a bad idea to begin with, sorry DE)

I suppose the lens break might be necessary but i'd rather it be fatigue, like every time a lens breaks it loses 10% of its focus gain or something.

Edited by Skaleek

24 minutes ago, Shockwave- said:

7) Lenses Break. After X amount of affinity is channeled through the lens, it breaks, requiring a replacement lens. This compensates for only needing 5 lenses, ever. Since they are duplicated in the sortie now, they should be in steady supply, and this would be a sink for them, and encourage market sales for DE as well. The breakage factor can be set so nobody should be able to keep 1 of each greater lens going all the time, meaning when your naramon breaks, you may have to use a different school for while until you get a new greater naramon (or use a lesser) or trade or buy or go without focus accumulation.

No, just no. You can have your lenses break after wear and tear. But I'm not going to grind for another dumb argon resource, now based around player interaction.

Wow I'm insanely amazed by this idea. i really really think this will solve the issues I'm currently having with them.

Buuuut if they did this i would want a refund of all the platinum spent on my lenses.

The cap is a insane issue atm for the reason you describe. If they didn't go with an idea like yours then I'd want the cap removed instead.

Greater lense breaks 250k - bonus 50k

Normal lense breaks - 50k

Edited by (PS4)Mofojokers

8 hours ago, Magnulast said:

No, just no. You can have your lenses break after wear and tear. But I'm not going to grind for another dumb argon resource, now based around player interaction.

I think it's fair given that currently to freely use any weapon or frame any time and gain focus would take literally dozens of greater lenses, while this system requires just 5. Its really the only reasonable way to make it work. DE isn't going to say 5 greater lenses is all you ever need for the focus system. I'd gladly have them break over having to assign them to a frame or weapon. I'm really getting tired of using the same things because i haven't hit the focus cap yet that day.

4 minutes ago, Shockwave- said:

I think it's fair given that currently to freely use any weapon or frame any time and gain focus would take literally dozens of greater lenses, while this system requires just 5. Its really the only reasonable way to make it work. DE isn't going to say 5 greater lenses is all you ever need for the focus system. I'd gladly have them break over having to assign them to a frame or weapon. I'm really getting tired of using the same things because i haven't hit the focus cap yet that day.

I'm saying this, I don't want to grind for a resource, to grind for another resource, unless it's advantageous, like simaris scanners.

This is severely limited by one method of aquisition, which is sorties, which again, have rng.

It's one thing for relics to have less rng and a permanent ownership, which works for grinding void parts, however this idea is limited to a extent that I wouldn't really want to grind for.

Even though it does allow me to use frames like saryn, with no penalty, it's kinda just more of...I'm getting 50k focus, just need to grind for it now.

It's not a initiative to me, not saying that the operator holding lenses is a bad idea, it's great, but since it breaks it's pretty much a sub limit with another limit(100k cap) with another limit(limit of aquisition).

Alternate Advancement such as Focus should be something you have going in the background as you play. You shouldn't really feel it's presence or a need to farm it and that's where I think the Focus system fails hard. Esp because of the Transcendence mechanic. That thing is so damn annoying and disruptive to game play.

I like the idea as it turns Focus closer to a proper AA. I also like the idea of creating a replaceable commodity by Lenses breaking. Good luck this this on gamers now days though. Most players care about their EPIX over a proper game economy.