Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

better tank trin vs nekros

(PSN)jedion

Question

22 answers to this question

i'd go with trinity, mostly because getting 75% damage reduction on trinity is easier, and she can top off herself and her allies easier than nekros, even though you can get 90% damage reduction on nekros, you'll to get at least 214 power strength for that and an augment as well

that depends on builds. an efficiency nekros with a desecrate build and a shield of shadows nekros gains a ton of sustainability while his shadows take most of the damage. If youre doing enough damage there should be a plethora of health orbs available.

Now on the other hand trinity can essentially perma heal and mitigate most damage with link while replenishing her own energy supply.  I think the better tank goes to trinity hands down since her kit is just designed for it.

On trin you can get 75% DR from link and 75% DR from blessing. With both of those you get pretty close to 95% damage reduction.

On top of that you are immune to status procs and kockdown while link is active. And then you also get a pretty much instant heal and your EV is still enough to always give you enough energy.

Nekros can get very high DR and gets more armor, but it is less consistent and has less utility. I also don't really like the nekros builds (you have to fit in a lot of stats and augments) while a link + blessing build is pretty easy to play and easy enough to put together.

If you want a tanky frame trinity is really good and a lot better than nekros.

non of them are tanks but both can take i hit for sure
i belive it depends alot what and where u fighting trin can take more dmg but lacks of cc
while nekros on the other hand can take alot of dmg and have CC  so is kinda sacrifce something too get something kinda deal 

Trinity is easier to get to the tanky as hell point. Link on it's own gives Trinity a large amount of EHP, combine that with Blessing and she gets really high EHP levels. On top of Quick Thinking being really good on her and EV functioning and a health restore if you have QT equipped, it can be really hard to bring her down. Nekros on the other hand needs a ton of power strength and at least 3 different mods to get to 90% damage reduction, while a Trinity with 54% power strength and a decent amount of duration can give herself around a 94% damage reduction and give her allies 75% as well.

8 minutes ago, venon23 said:

non of them are tanks but both can take i hit for sure
i belive it depends alot what and where u fighting trin can take more dmg but lacks of cc
while nekros on the other hand can take alot of dmg and have CC  so is kinda sacrifce something too get something kinda deal 

Both of them are actually tanks, just not in the way you think. Base stat wise they're both squishy, but when you take into account mods, abilities, augments and such they actually become really tanky. As in, the only frame who actually beats either of them in tankiness is an Ice Chroma.

I'll attempt to settle this with some math.

Nekros 65 base armor using Health Conversion + 90% mitigation from Shadows.

1,415 modified armor + 90% mitigation layer. 1415 / (1415 + 300) =  0.82507 = 82.51% Armor Mitigation.

Incoming 1,000 Damage to 90% mitigation Layer > 1000 * .1 = 100 Damage remaining.

Incoming 100 Damage to 82.51% Armor mitigation >  100 *  0.1749 = 17.49 Damage Taken.

Perks: Continuous Health Gain through Desecrate, Shadow Distractions.

Trinity 15 Base armor using Blessing + Link.

15 modified armor, 75% mitigation layer + 75% mitigation layer. 15 / (15 + 300) =  0.476 = 5% Armor Mitigation.

Incoming 1,000 Damage to 75% mitigation layer > 1000 * .25 = 250 Damage remaining.

Incoming 250 Damage to 75% mitigation layer > 250 * .25 = 62.5 Damage remaining.

Incoming 62.5 Damage to 5% Armor mitigaiton > 25 * .95 = 59.375 Damage Taken.

Perls: Instant replenishment of Shields under mitigation layers, Instant replenishment of Health.

Nekros is capable of more eHP and avoiding excess damage however Trinity is capable of sustaining her damage taken more easily through EV Overshields and Blessing. Both frames have a less than dependable source of mitigation via Health Conversion and Link where both can become non-extant for a moment. Honestly I couldn't decide either way. Hope this helps?

Edited by Xzorn

1 hour ago, Xzorn said:

I'll attempt to settle this with some math.

Nekros 65 base armor using Health Conversion + 90% mitigation from Shadows.

1,415 modified armor + 90% mitigation layer. 1415 / (1415 + 300) =  0.82507 = 82.51% Armor Mitigation.

Incoming 1,000 Damage to 90% mitigation Layer > 1000 * .1 = 100 Damage remaining.

Incoming 100 Damage to 82.51% Armor mitigation >  100 *  0.1749 = 17.49 Damage Taken.

Perks: Continuous Health Gain through Desecrate, Shadow Distractions.

Trinity 15 Base armor using Blessing + Link.

15 modified armor, 90% mitigation layer + 75% mitigation layer. 15 / (15 + 300) =  0.476 = 5% Armor Mitigation.

Incoming 1,000 Damage to 90% mitigation layer > 1000 * .1 = 100 Damage remaining.

Incoming 100 Damage to 75% mitigation layer > 100 * .25 = 25 Damage remaining.

Incoming 25 Damage to 5% Armor mitigaiton > 25 * .95 = 23.75 Damage Taken.

Perls: Instant replenishment of Shields under mitigation layers, Instant replenishment of Health.

Nekros is capable of more eHP and avoiding excess damage however Trinity is capable of sustaining her damage taken more easily through EV Overshields. Both frames have a less than dependable source of mitigation via Health Conversion and Link where both can become non-extant for a moment. Honestly I couldn't decide either way. Hope this helps?

Blessing is only 75%. I wouldn't recommend using vampire leech if you want to to build her tanky. You want to go for a lot of duration and not a lot of strength. As a result you don't get a lot of overshields.
What you can do however is use vitatlity and redirection to maximize the effectiveness of your link and blessing. Blessing also restores your shields which is very helpful. I wouldn't recommend quick thinking, because it can drain your energy and you want to use your energy on abilities instead. You also get more out of your heals when relying on shields and health instead of quick thinking (just as a sidenote cause someone mentioned it earlier).
In my experience link is very reliable. I am usually running around with 106% range (21.2 meters on link) and I never have problems with status procs or knockdowns. In the few moments where link doesn't work, you just have to use blessing a bit more.

Nekros on the other hand has far less reliable damage reduction. I found that his shadows often fall behind, die or run into a nullifier. So the damage mitigation isn't always at the max. And then I also find the shadows running around very annoying, but that's more a personal thing.
Health conversion is not very reliable at all. It can easily happen that you just don't get to pick up a health orb for a while and then you don't get any armor out of it.

When comparing you focus only on the damage reduction. Now I don't know the exact builds you would use, but my trinity is running around with redirection and vitality while my nekros is only using vitality. This makes trinity much more tanky, because there is a lot more hp to work with the reduction effects.

6 minutes ago, gluih said:

Blessing is only 75%. I wouldn't recommend using vampire leech if you want to to build her tanky. You want to go for a lot of duration and not a lot of strength. As a result you don't get a lot of overshields.
What you can do however is use vitatlity and redirection to maximize the effectiveness of your link and blessing. Blessing also restores your shields which is very helpful. I wouldn't recommend quick thinking, because it can drain your energy and you want to use your energy on abilities instead. You also get more out of your heals when relying on shields and health instead of quick thinking (just as a sidenote cause someone mentioned it earlier).
In my experience link is very reliable. I am usually running around with 106% range (21.2 meters on link) and I never have problems with status procs or knockdowns. In the few moments where link doesn't work, you just have to use blessing a bit more.

Nekros on the other hand has far less reliable damage reduction. I found that his shadows often fall behind, die or run into a nullifier. So the damage mitigation isn't always at the max. And then I also find the shadows running around very annoying, but that's more a personal thing.
Health conversion is not very reliable at all. It can easily happen that you just don't get to pick up a health orb for a while and then you don't get any armor out of it.

When comparing you focus only on the damage reduction. Now I don't know the exact builds you would use, but my trinity is running around with redirection and vitality while my nekros is only using vitality. This makes trinity much more tanky, because there is a lot more hp to work with the reduction effects.

I didn't mention Quick Thinking at all...

My Trinity's EV supplies 209 Energy per cast, with Vamp on that translates to roughly 864 Overshields. Which after both her Blessing and Link mitigation is 14k eHP. Taking up two mods slots for Vitality and Redirection gives her about 18k additional eHP.

By unreliable I mean there's a window in which it's not on. You have to wait for it to wear off before you can cast it again. There's nothing you can do about that window much like Health Conversion. Both Blessing and Shadows are 100% reliable by the user paying attention and keeping track of them.

I didn't compare just their mitigation either. I mentioned the pros and cons of their mitigation sources and their recovery rates.

I didn't mention eHP in the comparison for a reason. I don't use any defensive mods on my Trinity because she has to take 23k damage instantly in order to die otherwise her Vamp allows her to recovery any lost overshields with a single cast. Considering mitigation falls off. That's all I care to have on her. Tank doesn't actually exist in this game. Even Chroma get beat to hell by lvl 300 so why build for it,

I'm simply entertaining a concept and not getting into builds because frankly a tank build is worthless when you have no damage buffs. It's a pointless debate.

17 minutes ago, gluih said:

Against Grineer and Infestation on mission types where you aren't expected to move large distances in short periods of time, Shield of Shadows and Health Conversion are very reliable. Nullifiers can cramp the style a bit, but you still typically don't have much down time even if a freak Nullifier happens to walk through your army.

Nekros really only has problems keeping up his damage reduction when he's on the move or at the very beginning of a mission. I only really have trouble keeping Health Conversion up when my Sentinel dies and I have to pick up orbs manually.

26 minutes ago, gluih said:

There's a good reason why the focus is on damage reduction and not on total effective health. The reason is because Nekros is constantly regenerating health.

All Nekros needs to do is make sure the amount of damage he takes from enemies (and Despoil if you're using it) is less than the amount of damage he regenerates through health orbs (and energy orbs if you're using Equilibrium). The only purpose maximum health serves for Nekros is as a buffer for when you screw up and either got your army killed or aren't getting enough kills to generate orbs fast enough. If you haven't messed up, Nekros should really never have his health drop more than two or three health orbs' worth of health less than his maximum, meaning his effective health is entirely irrelevant.

On the other hand, Trinity's healing is done all at once with an active cast and heals a percentage of your health instead of an absolute amount. Your effective health still serves as a buffer for when you screw up, but increasing your effective health also decreases the number of times you need to recast Blessing (in the case when enemies are capable of dealing enough damage to force you to recast Blessing before its duration expires).

Because of this, damage reduction is relevant to both Nekros and Trinity, but effective maximum health is only relevant to Trinity.

On a side note, damage reduction is also plays a part in how effective Life Strike (and other healing effects that aren't dependent on your own maximum health) are. With the same weapon and against the same enemy, Life Strike will heal you the same amount of absolute health, but that amount of absolute health corresponds to a different amount of effective health depending on your damage reduction. The greater your damage reduction, the more effective Life Strike is.

This is also why I run Nekros with Zenurik and a Life Strike Galatine Prime. (Also because I often can't tell my Shadows apart from enemies, and melee is more forgiving in that regard.)

18 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

I didn't mention Quick Thinking at all...

My Trinity's EV supplies 209 Energy per cast, with Vamp on that translates to roughly 864 Overshields. Which after both her Blessing and Link mitigation is 14k eHP. Taking up two mods slots for Vitality and Redirection gives her about 18k additional eHP.

By unreliable I mean there's a window in which it's not on. You have to wait for it to wear off before you can cast it again. There's nothing you can do about that window much like Health Conversion. Both Blessing and Shadows are 100% reliable by the user paying attention and keeping track of them.

I didn't compare just their mitigation either. I mentioned the pros and cons of their mitigation sources and their recovery rates.

I didn't mention eHP in the comparison for a reason. I don't use any defensive mods on my Trinity because she has to take 23k damage instantly in order to die otherwise her Vamp allows her to recovery any lost overshields with a single cast. Considering mitigation falls off. That's all I care to have on her. Tank doesn't actually exist in this game. Even Chroma get beat to hell by lvl 300 so why build for it,

I'm simply entertaining a concept and not getting into builds because frankly a tank build is worthless when you have no damage buffs. It's a pointless debate.

No you didn't mention quick thinking. It's just something worth mentioning imo, because it was mentioned in this thread and I've seen quite a lot of players who seem to think that quick thinking is better than simply using other defensive mods but it really depends on the build and on trinity I don't think it's very good.

The shields you get by using vampire leech on a tanking trinity can't really keep up with being able to fill both redirection and vitality. With redirection you have 1110 shields and you get all of that back instantly whenever you press blessing regardless of how much energy you have. Then you also get back whatever health you are missing. Also since you are focusing on duration you have to make sure to kill the enemy that you are using your EV on. This is usually not a big problem, but it certainly leaves more room for error than blessing.

The short amount of vulnerability when recasting link can be mitigated very by using blessing, so it's not a big problem compared to what nekros has to deal with.

Since this is a discussion about nekros or trinity being the better tank, the ehp should be mentioned imo. I've had enough situations in sorties where having a high hp pool combined with the mitigation was actually relevant. It's not just a matter of running into something that can kill you eventually in a long endless run.
If you are using vampire leech to get more hp that's part of the ehp.

And why would being tanky be worthless without damage buffs?

7 minutes ago, gluih said:

Since this is a discussion about nekros or trinity being the better tank, the ehp should be mentioned imo. I've had enough situations in sorties where having a high hp pool combined with the mitigation was actually relevant. It's not just a matter of running into something that can kill you eventually in a long endless run.

If you are using vampire leech to get more hp that's part of the ehp.

And why would being tanky be worthless without damage buffs?

Because in this and many other cases, being tanky is not free, It takes up mod slots.

I know Vitality / Redirection is better for Trinity herself but using Vamp Leech gives around 3,400 eHP to allies every cast and that's what Trinity is for. Building tanky just makes her less useful to a group and if you're solo you will most often get to a point when you're taking more damage not simply because enemies hit harder but because they're staying alive longer. So if you can't buff both ends of the situation like Chroma or Rhino then there's not much point in it. You'll just end up taking more damage because you're not dealing enough.

20 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

Against Grineer and Infestation on mission types where you aren't expected to move large distances in short periods of time, Shield of Shadows and Health Conversion are very reliable. Nullifiers can cramp the style a bit, but you still typically don't have much down time even if a freak Nullifier happens to walk through your army.

Nekros really only has problems keeping up his damage reduction when he's on the move or at the very beginning of a mission. I only really have trouble keeping Health Conversion up when my Sentinel dies and I have to pick up orbs manually.

There's a good reason why the focus is on damage reduction and not on total effective health. The reason is because Nekros is constantly regenerating health.

All Nekros needs to do is make sure the amount of damage he takes from enemies (and Despoil if you're using it) is less than the amount of damage he regenerates through health orbs (and energy orbs if you're using Equilibrium). The only purpose maximum health serves for Nekros is as a buffer for when you screw up and either got your army killed or aren't getting enough kills to generate orbs fast enough. If you haven't messed up, Nekros should really never have his health drop more than two or three health orbs' worth of health less than his maximum, meaning his effective health is entirely irrelevant.

On the other hand, Trinity's healing is done all at once with an active cast and heals a percentage of your health instead of an absolute amount. Your effective health still serves as a buffer for when you screw up, but increasing your effective health also decreases the number of times you need to recast Blessing (in the case when enemies are capable of dealing enough damage to force you to recast Blessing before its duration expires).

Because of this, damage reduction is relevant to both Nekros and Trinity, but effective maximum health is only relevant to Trinity.

On a side note, damage reduction is also plays a part in how effective Life Strike (and other healing effects that aren't dependent on your own maximum health) are. With the same weapon and against the same enemy, Life Strike will heal you the same amount of absolute health, but that amount of absolute health corresponds to a different amount of effective health depending on your damage reduction. The greater your damage reduction, the more effective Life Strike is.

This is also why I run Nekros with Zenurik and a Life Strike Galatine Prime. (Also because I often can't tell my Shadows apart from enemies, and melee is more forgiving in that regard.)

Not being able to rely on your DR while moving, being more vulnerable to nullifiers and having to rely on a sentinel are actually pretty huge downsides.

It seems to me that you are expecting a situation in a defense or survival mission or a similar situation where you can stay in one place and enemies are killed very quickly. I would argue that trinity would still have better chances to survive, because her mitigation is more reliable, she has more ehp and her utility in general helps her out a lot (being able to instantly heal back to full, not having to worry about knockdowns and status procs and having EV). In any other situation like exterminate, sabotage,... where you can't just build up a huge amount of health orbs for when things get worse, trinity is just miles ahead.

So to recap: In terms of tankyness when it comes to mitigation, eHP and so on, trinity and nekros are very close. However when it comes to the utility of the rest of their kits and reliability, which are both very important to a tank, trinity is better than nekros. In practice this is not very relevant, because you would probably not choose either frame based only because of their tankyness. You would probably choose trinity because she can bless the rest of her team and give them energy and you would choose nekros because of desecrate and maybe the extra CC.

3 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Because in this and many other cases, being tanky is not free, It takes up mod slots.

I know Vitality / Redirection is better for Trinity herself but using Vamp Leech gives around 3,400 eHP to allies every cast and that's what Trinity is for. Building tanky just makes her less useful to a group and if you're solo you will most often get to a point when you're taking more damage not simply because enemies hit harder but because they're staying alive longer. So if you can't buff both ends of the situation like Chroma or Rhino then there's not much point in it. You'll just end up taking more damage because you're not dealing enough.

That sounds reasonable. If you feel like being able to give your team overshields on top of the blessing effect and free energy, then vampire leech is a good option. I personally value my own survivabilty higher than the overshields. I feel like to make it work I would have to spam energy vampire too much, so I would have less time to focus on enemies that are trying to kill me, my teammates or objectives, watch the buff timers, and kill enemies/ do something else useful to complete the mission.

6 hours ago, NyxCrab said:

Both of them are actually tanks, just not in the way you think. Base stat wise they're both squishy, but when you take into account mods, abilities, augments and such they actually become really tanky. As in, the only frame who actually beats either of them in tankiness is an Ice Chroma.

the hammers is a armored veichle that dont means is a tank cuz it dont fits the role not because he canot take the hit nekros and trin are support roles that can tank not full on tanks that a words problem not hows more tanky
chorma on the other hand is still a support but he filles better the role of tank then the other 2  

10 hours ago, gluih said:

Not being able to rely on your DR while moving,

Isn't a huge downside. This basically means you're not going to be able to tank Rescue and Capture, and let's face it, tanking is not as valuable of a trait in those missions.

being more vulnerable to nullifiers

Also not a huge downside. You pay attention like what you're supposed to be doing and focus down Nullifiers. If one walks through your army, you summon a new one. If you've been managing your energy and shadow pool like you're supposed to, this isn't a big hit at all.

having to rely on a sentinel

A sentinel that lives almost forever because health orbs apply to it, too. Honestly a non-issue.

It seems to me that you are expecting a situation in a defense or survival mission or a similar situation where you can stay in one place and enemies are killed very quickly.

And in just about every mission type where a tank is useful to have, this is the situation you're going to be in.

because her mitigation is more reliable,

Reliability is a continuous scale, not a binary yes-no. I'd argue having 98.25% damage reduction almost all the time beats having 94.05% all of the time.

she has more ehp

One, I've already argued that effective health is irrelevant to Nekros.

Two, Nekros has more effective health. Comparing Primes:

• Nekros Prime (Vitality only) has 450 Shield, modified by 90% damage reduction to 4500 effective health, and 740 Health, modified by 98.25% damage reduction to 42303 effective health, for a total of 46803 effective health.
  • Trinity Prime (Vitality and Redirection) has 1110 Shield, modified by 93.75% damage reduction to 17760 effective health, and 740 Health, modified by 94.05% damage reduction to 12432 effective health, for a total of 30192 effective health.

exterminate,

Tanking doesn't really matter in Exterminate.

sabotage,... where you can't just build up a huge amount of health orbs for when things get worse,

Things don't get worse unless you've been careless. Unless you're doing a Sabotage mission with a defense component, your overall tanking ability doesn't matter. After a certain point where enemies already cannot kill you, any more tankiness simply isn't meaningful.

So to recap: In terms of tankyness when it comes to mitigation,

I'm not sure you realize, but 98.25% damage reduction is 3.4 times more effective than 94.05% damage reduction. That's not even close.

eHP

Nekros has 1.55 times the effective health as Trinity. Not as large of a blowout, but still not close. That said, effective health still doesn't really matter to Nekros.

However when it comes to the utility of the rest of their kits and reliability, which are both very important to a tank, trinity is better than nekros. In practice this is not very relevant, because you would probably not choose either frame based only because of their tankyness. You would probably choose trinity because she can bless the rest of her team and give them energy and you would choose nekros because of desecrate and maybe the extra CC.

This is the one point that really matters. Trinity has better support options than Nekros hands down. Nekros will tank for himself better than Trinity can tank for herself, but Trinity can provide better support for her squad in the form of additional damage reduction and healing.

14 hours ago, NyxCrab said:

As in, the only frame who actually beats either of them in tankiness is an Ice Chroma.

Cold Chroma's damage reduction is actually on par with Nekros's, slightly higher or slightly lower depending on your build. Cold Chroma has more effective health compared to Nekros (by about a factor of 2, again depending on your build), but has no innate means of healing himself. Cold Chroma has virtually no team support outside of proccing Cold on enemies, but in return has insane damage output.

I'd say they're even.

Edited by Inarticulate

Just now, Inarticulate said:

ICold Chroma's damage reduction is actually on par with Nekros's, slightly higher or slightly lower depending on your build. Cold Chroma has more effective health compared to Nekros (by about a factor of 2, again depending on your build), but has no innate means of healing himself. Cold Chroma has virtually no team support outside of proccing Cold on enemies, but in return has insane damage output.

I'd say they're even.

I'm just talking like pure EHP without taking into account things like Sustain. Taking sustain into account Trinity is probably the tankiest frame in the game due to the amount of healing she has and with QT effectively meaning EV heals her too. Inaros would be up there too as he has a ton of sustain.

4 hours ago, Inarticulate said:

Isn't a huge downside. This basically means you're not going to be able to tank Rescue and Capture, and let's face it, tanking is not as valuable of a trait in those missions.

Also not a huge downside. You pay attention like what you're supposed to be doing and focus down Nullifiers. If one walks through your army, you summon a new one. If you've been managing your energy and shadow pool like you're supposed to, this isn't a big hit at all.

A sentinel that lives almost forever because health orbs apply to it, too. Honestly a non-issue.

And in just about every mission type where a tank is useful to have, this is the situation you're going to be in.

Reliability is a continuous scale, not a binary yes-no. I'd argue having 98.25% damage reduction almost all the time beats having 94.05% all of the time.

One, I've already argued that effective health is irrelevant to Nekros.

Two, Nekros has more effective health. Comparing Primes:

• Nekros Prime (Vitality only) has 450 Shield, modified by 90% damage reduction to 4500 effective health, and 740 Health, modified by 98.25% damage reduction to 42303 effective health, for a total of 46803 effective health.
  • Trinity Prime (Vitality and Redirection) has 1110 Shield, modified by 93.75% damage reduction to 17760 effective health, and 740 Health, modified by 94.05% damage reduction to 12432 effective health, for a total of 30192 effective health.

Tanking doesn't really matter in Exterminate.

Things don't get worse unless you've been careless. Unless you're doing a Sabotage mission with a defense component, your overall tanking ability doesn't matter. After a certain point where enemies already cannot kill you, any more tankiness simply isn't meaningful.

I'm not sure you realize, but 98.25% damage reduction is 3.4 times more effective than 94.05% damage reduction. That's not even close.

Nekros has 1.55 times the effective health as Trinity. Not as large of a blowout, but still not close. That said, effective health still doesn't really matter to Nekros.

This is the one point that really matters. Trinity has better support options than Nekros hands down. Nekros will tank for himself better than Trinity can tank for herself, but Trinity can provide better support for her squad in the form of additional damage reduction and healing.

You are taking the optimal situation of a nekros and compare it to the optimal situation of trinity. You can get valuable information out of that, but it just doesn't apply to every situation.
There are more mission types where you move around at least a little bit, like mobile defense. In mobile defense you are always going to leave your optimal situation when you go to the next target. You could be in a capture mission and the person you are rescuing has to be revived and suddenly you don't have a bunch of health orbs lying around to fill your health back up and to make sure you always have your health conversion stacked to the max bonus armor. And then we haven't even talked about the extremely long summoning animation that you are doing whenever 1 of your minions dies.
Simply ignoring all the situations where your tankyness doesn't apply fully is not a good way to look at tankyness overall imo.

13 minutes ago, gluih said:

There are more mission types where you move around at least a little bit, like mobile defense. In mobile defense you are always going to leave your optimal situation when you go to the next target.

When running solo, you never have to leave your comfort zone. When running with a squad, make sure you're in the front of the pack and you wont run into Mutalist Osprey gas clouds and Sapping Osprey mines and you're golden. If you aren't at the front of the back, cast Shadows of the Dead a few times in transit.

Honestly, bullet jump spamming to get between consoles is plenty good enough, and the armor from your slowly decaying Health Conversion is typically enough to soak up any stray bullets.

Mobile Defense isn't an endless mission type, so enemy levels never get high enough for anything other than Mutalist Ospreys and Sapping Ospreys to matter while in transit.

22 minutes ago, gluih said:

You could be in a capture mission and the person you are rescuing has to be revived and suddenly you don't have a bunch of health orbs lying around to fill your health back up and to make sure you always have your health conversion stacked to the max bonus armor.

Terrify exists. Casting Shadows of the Dead immediately before attempting to capture a target or revive the hostage (or a downed squad mate) is highly advised because 90% damage reduction plus redirection of aggro is still nothing to scoff at.

24 minutes ago, gluih said:

And then we haven't even talked about the extremely long summoning animation that you are doing whenever 1 of your minions dies.

1. A competent Nekros is not letting his minions die unless they are wiped out by a Nullifier or are intentionally left to die to make room for a better shadow.
  2. If you intentionally let your shadow die, you've probably already picked a place to stand where you can do the full casting animation without getting killed (and if you haven't, you're doing it wrong).
  3. If you screwed up and need to resummon a shadow in a pinch, cast Shadows of the Dead at the top of a bullet jump.
26 minutes ago, gluih said:

Simply ignoring all the situations where your tankyness doesn't apply fully is not a good way to look at tankyness overall imo.

The situations where being tanky matters most are missions that require sustain and missions focused on defense, and Nekros has no trouble keeping his buffs up at all times in those missions.

The situations you've brought up where Nekros is unable to maintain his buffs, namely situations where he needs to move from one place to another quickly, are situations where being tanky doesn't matter as much because your parkour abilities are sufficient to keep you alive.

In the end, Nekros is less tanky than Trinity in situations where tankiness is less likely to matter and tankier than Trinity in situiations where tankiness is more likely to matter. Where it matters, Nekros is tankier than Trinity, but has fewer squad support options and is easier to screw up.