Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cover System Idea

mrbeefy15

This is an interesting idea and I hope this makes sense what I'm trying to explain.

Let's say you're in a open space with some walls that you can be covered by just standing and some walls that require you to crouch to be covered by. If you want to go into cover, you simply walk up against the surface and slide into it without hitting a button or being hooked or glued onto the surface like in Gears of War. The idea is to not have a mechanic that takes away from the fast-paced gameplay and keep the fluid gameplay going. The speed at which you enter cover is the same as you sprint or jog into it.  If you sprint into it, you might slam into it or just “slide” into it like you would if you were jogging or just not go into cover. If there is some low cover that requires you to crouch, it would act similar to that of wall surfaces. This might require an animation or for the character to automatically crouch when close to the cover. This might slow down the movement speed of your character, though. If you sprint into it, you might crouch down into it and slam into it or not go into cover. Sliding into the low cover might be kinda cool. If you slide into it, you will quickly slam into it and be in that slide cover system. It really depends on the developer's idea and I'm just a silly with a possibly stupid cover system.  :P

Here is an example of what I'm trying to convey from Army of Two: 40th Day.

- specifically around 1:00 is where it’s demonstrated and explained for crouched cover.

Let me know what you think. Thanks! :D

It's been said many times, but the developers simply aren't interested in implementing a cover system. So, as the ever eloquent Archistopheles above me has stated: NO.

Edited by Asbyn

I think there should be a cover system, but it shouldn't interrupt the speed. If there is cover  you shouldn't be able to do it automatically, cause otherwise you'll just cover every time you're next to a wall. It would need to be a way that is activated and easy to move out of.

Cover used to be a thing if FPS games. As in you actually need to put a wall between you and the enemy manually. You can play Warframe with cover and be tactical, play with a team and get on audio, use the Mark "g" tool to set waypoints for when the next person needs to move up. It's a slow way to play but it is a way you can play.

1. Cover system would not work well with the mounting/wallrunning system.  And I don't need more buttons to memorize.

2. Cover systems were always dumb in the first place, and usually hindered more than they ever could help.

3. Press crouch, problem solved.

It feels as if no one really read the post but whatever.

You want a cover system in which you walk against the surface to activate cover. This is just not a good thing.

You would enter cover even if you wouldnt even want to. We are ninjas, not cover taking cowards.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

thats a damn bad idea plus it gets into conflict with the wallrunning system.

Edited by underverse

The idea is to not have a mechanic that takes away from the fast-paced gameplay and keep the fluid gameplay going.

Contradicting yourself here:

This might require an animation or for the character to automatically crouch when close to the cover. This might slow down the movement speed of your character, though. If you sprint into it, you might crouch down into it and slam into it or not go into cover.

The biggest deal-breaker I see with any cover system is the fact that it would invariably conflict with wall-running. I just don't see a way it could work without either looking ridiculous or slowing the players down significantly. If it were entirely procedural, you'd be sticking to walls that provide no cover whatsoever and potentially take cover behind a wire-mesh or equivalent. If it was pre-scripted, you'd have to have some clear marking or indication of where you can take cover and where you can not.

Honestly, the current system we have works much better for me than, for an extreme example, the one in Spec Ops. As good as that game is, the cover system totally blows it for me. Having freedom of movement and using cover as given instead of making it a specific collider object that influences your movement/animations is much preferred.

We are ninjas, not cover taking cowards.....

And here I was worried I wouldn't get to roll my eyes at a post today. Thanks for fixing that.