Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime Gaming Giveaway

[DE]Taylor

4 minutes ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:
  • If entrant is a resident of Canada: correctly answer without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered at a mutually convenient time in person or by telephone.

Is this a serious thing? If yes, then Why?

An honest question as I am not from Canada.

lotteries have three major components: the prizes have value, the sponsor benefits from the sweepstakes financially, and the winner is chosen at random. In order to avoid being an illegal private lottery, at least one of the three components must be removed. In the United States, the sponsor usually removes the financial benefit, also known as consideration, to avoid being classified as an illegal lottery.

Canadian sweepstakes law, unlike American law, requires that the third component, "winners are chosen by luck," be removed for a giveaway to be legal. A giveaway cannot use pure luck to determine who wins. There must be at least some element of skill involved.

In order remove the element of chance, sponsors narrow the field of potential winners by requiring a skill testing question to enter their contests. Every entrant does not have the same chance to win; only those who at least pass the skill testing question are eligible to win prizes.

Spoiler
5 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/social-media-promotions-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know/

In Canada and many European countries, however, most giveaways and promotions would be labeled as contests under U.S. law because they require a skills competition (usually a math question) to be valid. Does that always happen? No, but the laws require it.

i also find it a bit weird, but hey, gotta follow dem rulz

1 minute ago, djtotato said:

lotteries have three major components: the prizes have value, the sponsor benefits from the sweepstakes financially, and the winner is chosen at random. In order to avoid being an illegal private lottery, at least one of the three components must be removed. In the United States, the sponsor usually removes the financial benefit, also known as consideration, to avoid being classified as an illegal lottery.

Canadian sweepstakes law, unlike American law, requires that the third component, "winners are chosen by luck," be removed for a giveaway to be legal. A giveaway cannot use pure luck to determine who wins. There must be at least some element of skill involved.

In order remove the element of chance, sponsors narrow the field of potential winners by requiring a skill testing question to enter their contests. Every entrant does not have the same chance to win; only those who at least pass the skill testing question are eligible to win prizes.

@(PS4)Elctrcstel @djtotato Thank you.

10 minutes ago, djtotato said:

Restrictions with regard to prizes?

Yes, only when participation is tied to the purchase of a product/ service: • The value of the price may not exceed more than 100 time the price of the product/service sold • The value of the price should in no case exceed the sum of 15 minimum wages (approximately EUR 2,915)

google found a pdf: Promotional games and contests in the EU possibilities and pitfalls

not sure if it applies here since its a free contest.

So i understand now but its kind of strange to me how all other countries except those have the same or similar law.

But o well i will just cry in my sleep tonight and try to forget another reason to hate my country

6 minutes ago, silversufer1970 said:

what no Florida

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0800-0899/0849/Sections/0849.094.html

the link is to Florida's statutes and constitution.

feel free to skim through it. i believe the section pertaining to this giveaway is sections 3 and 4. 

it's pretty much a bunch of legal hassle to go through 

Where's Poland?

This contest is an joke right now. Only selected peope can join, to others it is simple "Look at them win, now cry!". If you're making any giveaway or anything like that, at least let EVERYONE join, because this giveaway is really selfish!

1 minute ago, Rokador said:

Where's Poland?

This contest is an joke right now. Only selected peope can join, to others it is simple "Look at them win, now cry!". If you're making any giveaway or anything like that, at least let EVERYONE join, because this giveaway is really selfish!

This is not DE's fault. Countires/States/Provinces all have their own rules and regulations about sweepstakes prizes and DE has to abide by those rules.

I get it, it's not DE fault the restiction about the countries, but knowing that a lot of the players are not only from this 10 countries, they could have think about ALL of us and create extra prizes in game (at least) for those who live in unelegible countries, i mean, a lot of games do that... IDK. Nice idea anyway.

11 minutes ago, Rokador said:

Where's Poland?

Poland

Allowed? Yes

Special rules regarding social media? Yes

In Poland, there are two games of chance: promotional lotteries and phone-or-text message lotteries.

For both games, a permit is needed •

Purchase of a product must be required to participate

And for persons in Poland participating in a foreign par mutual bet/in illegal gambling activity in Poland • Fine or imprisonment up to 3 years

well, looks like poland doesnt allowed free sweepstakes. and if u joined a lotto which doesnt hv a permit u go to jail lol 

Edited by djtotato
added info