Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Lore

Vicious_Vipa

Hand on heart:   how many of you actually know what is the Warframe story. About the Orokin and whatnot?

I tend to think the Warframe story is very thin and bad compared to heavy weights like Mass Effect Multiplayer which actually revolve around this huge Single Player.
But then I have to be honest and say that I did not even understand much of the Warframe Story.

And then I ask myself:  Is this my fault?  Or does the game do a bad job at telling its story?  I honestly don't know.   This is why I am opened this thread.

Please tell me how ignorant I am.

Edited by Vicious_Vipa

5 minutes ago, Etharien said:

Are you really comparing a single player rpg's story to that of an online third person horde Loot game? Apples and oranges.

you are right.   But we should at least know why the Grineer fight the Corpus and vice versa,
where we are coming from, what are the Orokin, who is Clem and Sephalon Simaris, etc.   and I am asking myself if you all
a)  know that
b) like what you know

I personally would love to have more character background for every frame - just like Valkyr's background.

... and consequently have a Frost who is resistent to cold and an Ember who is resistant to heat (just an example)

Edited by Vicious_Vipa

Single Player focused games usuallynhave better story than online ones.

Warframe for the longest time had very vague and evasive lore until The Second Dream and The War Within when DE finally decided to expand in this direction.

There are also Simaris' imprints and Cephalon Fragments as optional side-lore.

So at this point Warframe actually has a decent lore behind it, not quiet Mass Effect level (yet), but enough to understand generall concepts behind it.

So yeah... It's probably you who somehow doesn't get it.

Ask away, people will gladly try to explain things to you.

Just now, SurrealEdge said:

It doesn't help that some of the story is locked behind old events that were never reintroduced properly as a quest.

They don't have to. That's what they are - events. One of features of Warframe is that things kinda happen in real time, so if you wasn't around in a time of crisis...

DE were asked many times what are they going to do with that, but honestly i don't remember their answers.

Just now, Artek94 said:

They don't have to. That's what they are - events. One of features of Warframe is that things kinda happen in real time, so if you wasn't around in a time of crisis...

DE were asked many times what are they going to do with that, but honestly i don't remember their answers.

Have you heard of Greedy Milk? Those of us that weren't around to do the event, myself included, were lost when that joke was being thrown around. I know the wiki contributors do a great job keeping logs of past events and updating it with new information, but it's not a way to tell a story. There's also the rescue event that lead into the introduction of the Red Veil, with a distress message from Cantis, while at the same time introducing the new rescue changes and mechanics.

I do recall in a devstream from a long while ago about it. Not certain how accurate it is, but I do remember mention of bringing back old events as quests proper when they have the time.

I'll agree with you to a degree. But the thing is our characters have lost their memories of millennia-old conflicts so what little info we (the Players and Tenno) do have is spotty. In a meta sense, we are learning everything at the same time as our character. 

5 minutes ago, Artek94 said:

There are also Simaris' imprints and Cephalon Fragments as optional side-lore.

So at this point Warframe actually has a decent lore behind it, not quiet Mass Effect level (yet), but enough to understand general concepts behind it.

(Quoted the above to add to the point) There are bits and pieces thought lost to time but have been recovered (codex entries, Simaris' synthesis imprint logs and even Cephalon fragments) and more revealed through them and certain events (e.g. The Second Dream/War Within). Quite vague but the seeds are there, ready to be nurtured and grow.

We might not get all of it in the end but there will be a better idea of the big picture than when the game started.

4 minutes ago, SurrealEdge said:

I do recall in a devstream from a long while ago about it. Not certain how accurate it is, but I do remember mention of bringing back old events as quests proper when they have the time.

I remember that as well so fingers crossed it will happen

I don’t think it is just you

At best warframes story/history is very fractured, though it looks that DE are working to have a better continues story

Lots of information/Lore is hidden for self-exploration, scan and quest, which was one of the reasons the new map was created to help with guiding the players through the Warframe story and the lore snip bits that are contained within.

As for events even more information/lore is effectively lost for new players as Warframe the game doesn’t share/give that information to the player in game, but we do have a wiki

In my opinion Warframe is very bad at imparting understanding/information to players, it is getting better as when I started you really had to learn from other players about every aspect of the game and charters, now at lest you get some intro to the game, movement and the different fractions

Warframe is far better now than then and will continue to get better, one day it will tell it’s story and new players will have a far better understanding of it when that time comes

Just now, SurrealEdge said:

Have you heard of Greedy Milk? Those of us that weren't around to do the event, myself included, were lost when that joke was being thrown around.

That's how inside jokes work. And how it works in real world in general.

You were not there - then you won't get it. I wasn't around that event too, had to learn from wiki but it didn't bothered me at all.

It's like... Reading a story book. Something that happened, but without you.

Or relays for example. One of those days someone is going to ask: "why some relays are blown up?" and someone gonna answer without any hint of joke "because we as community wanted to see what would happen".

I don't know if you find such situations funny and unique but i surely do and i would love for DE to give us even more fuel for that.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

I remember that as well so fingers crossed it will happen

I don’t think it is just you

Cool, wasn't entirely sure I was going crazy or not.

1 minute ago, Artek94 said:

That's how inside jokes work. And how it works in real world in general.

You were not there - then you won't get it. I wasn't around that event too, had to learn from wiki but it didn't bothered me at all.

Yet it still leaves questions for any of the reasoning behind it. Inside jokes can only go so far, before being completely taken out of context.

Again, having to rely on the wiki shouldn't have to be something we should do. The game should tell us what had transpired up to the point of playing and the potential for future events to partake in should past events sound enticing to draw in more players.

54 minutes ago, Vicious_Vipa said:

Hand on heart:   how many of you actually know what is the Warframe story. About the Orokin and whatnot?

I tend to think the Warframe story is very thin and bad compared to heavy weights like Mass Effect Multiplayer which actually revolve around this huge Single Player.
But then I have to be honest and say that I did not even understand much of the Warframe Story.

And then I ask myself:  Is this my fault?  Or does the game do a bad job at telling its story?  I honestly don't know.   This is why I am opened this thread.

No, your not that ignorant. Warframe has a very interesting way to tell the story, which I kinda like. 

As of a year and a bit ago warframe really didn't have much lore. Then they start telling the lore in pieces and it's our job to take those pieces and build the puzzle. Some pieces of the puzzle are small and fill in a lot of the blanks. They are of course the Kuria poem, which is unlocked by scanning all the Kuria throughout the universe. The simarus fragment, which are obtained through scanning targets. The cephalon fragments, which are obtained through scanning cephalon fragments scatter throughout the universe. Then there are some of the quests for the newer frames (Inaros, Titania, etc..) each one of those quests adds little bits to the story. 

Then of course there are the big puzzle pieces to the story such as The Second Dream, and The War Within. These quests are good to build the base to the story. 

Old frames such as frost and ember don't really have lore behind them because that was back in the day when they didn't do lore. I agree with you in that I would love to see a story for the old frames come out. It's needed to fill in some of the blanks on this slowly unraveling story. 

Just a word of caution. If your interested in the lore and want to ask around to find out about it. This huge puzzle is still missing a lot of pieces, so people use speculation to fill in the blanks. This in just their opinion, not nessesarily true. So build the puzzle and see what's you think about the really big questions that pop up. 

Happy gaming

Edited by Deger27

57 minutes ago, Vicious_Vipa said:

On a scale of 1 to 10? Just kidding. I can't really compare ME as I haven't played it, but I'd say Warframe does have interesting lore. Why do you judge it thin and bad? Is it because gameplay doesn't hinge on it? Is it because the backstory is made up of ubiquitous elements? Or for another reason?

Personally I like the way lore is given to us. For the most part, it has to be actively pursued. Relatively little is simply given out in the form of quests.

Now the problem is that the story appears to be in the same basket as game mechanics - still in development, still unfinished. That makes some things pretty awkward for everyone involved, as you can see from any lore discussion on the forum. It's unclear how much will still be mystery in some ideal future iteration of the game when it is "finished", but for now we are still discovering things. That can be pretty engaging, if you're into lore hunting.

If you've already collected all the lore bits available in the game but you're still unsatisfied and feel you don't understand about the Orokin and whatnot, is that because you feel the story doesn't make sense, or simply because it's incomplete?

2 hours ago, SurrealEdge said:

Yet it still leaves questions for any of the reasoning behind it. Inside jokes can only go so far, before being completely taken out of context.

Yeah, I would like very much for others to know what we are going about "Greedy Milk", inside jokes can only go so far before they are forgotten.

1 hour ago, Deger27 said:

As of a year and a bit ago warframe really didn't have much lore. Then they start telling the lore in pieces and it's our job to take those pieces and build the puzzle. Some pieces of the puzzle are small and fill in a lot of the blanks. They are of course the Kuria poem, which is unlocked by scanning all the Kuria throughout the universe. The simarus fragment, which are obtained through scanning targets. The cephalon fragments, which are obtained through scanning cephalon fragments scatter throughout the universe. Then there are some of the quests for the newer frames (Inaros, Titania, etc..) each one of those quests adds little bits to the story. 

Then of course there are the big puzzle pieces to the story such as The Second Dream, and The War Within. These quests are good to build the base to the story. 

You know what it reminded me of just now?

Dark Souls.