Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PS4) Custom Controls are lacking support in War Within

(PSN)blackbeltdude7

There was a lot I enjoyed about the War Within, and I was really enjoying it until I got to the part where I have to use transference on the Maw.

I play with the "Classic Controls" and have been since Warframe launched on the PS4. This means that I use the touch pad for my Warframe powers (Power E is pressing the touch pad) and R1 for quick melee. When I got to the part where the game tells you to use transference on the Maw, it told me to do so by pressing "R3." Of course I tried to do transference with that input, but nothing was happening, and I had no idea that it was the wrong input. It wasn't until I started to Google search the problem that I realized the game wanted me to use the 5th power. Going forward, it would probably be better if the game told you the right input, or just told you to use your "focus power" or something.

Since I use the touch pad tap for Power E, I thought I'd try that... but it still wasn't working! After lots of trial and error, I found that I had to hold down R3, and then hit and hold the touch pad. This was super awkward, and when I went to try and adjust this input afterward, it wound up breaking the touchpad tap input for nearly every action. 

The final fight should have been epic and satisfying but my inputs for transference weren't working at all for that fight. I had to switch over to "New Controls" for that fight which made things really annoying, since my 3 years of Warframe muscle memory weren't accustom to it.

I'm glad I can go back and replay this quest, because my enthusiasm for the quest was basically ruined by the poor support for the touch pad. The control problems added hours of frustration that shouldn't have been there. From the game giving me the wrong input prompt to breaking and restricting what I can assign to what inputs.

___

The bigger problem here is that, post quest, I simply can't use Power E by tapping the touch pad anymore, which I had been doing with no problem before the quest. I can't use transference by holding down the touch pad (by default, it just "activates selected power" no matter what is mapped to the touch pad tap input).

Instead, the game is basically forcing me to use the power menu if I want to be able to use Power E. In fact, I don't seem to be able to put Power E on anything and have it work; it seemingly only works via the power menu.

I think there's clearly some kind of bug involving the touch pad and inputs, so hopefully a lot of this can be fixed easily. Just fixing this should alleviate a lot of the problems that I and other players are having. Transference seems to work based on holding down the Power E input anyhow, so if I can use Power E on the touchpad again, I'm sure I can use it for transference too.

The other thing we NEED for the game's input is an option to assign inputs for touch pad tap and touch pad hold. There seems to be a hidden input for holding down the touch pad, and I would like it if I could assign it to something else.

___

I really appreciate the effort that DE put into this quest. For the most part, it was really fun. The new mechanics were introduced in a fun way, the lore was interesting and answered some questions, but the lack of support for custom controls really hurt the overall experience. 

It's probably because i trained my brain for the button commands after switching from touchpad commands, but I found the power menu commands to be smoother for me. To me, it's easier to press R1+O and activate power 3 than having to shift my entire right hand to cast my abilities. It allowed my to make my Gearslots 1-4 to the touchpad and the quick mission rewards is bound to holding the touchpad.

I understand your frustration
My controls have stayed the same since I first started playing when PS4 was released. Anyway, Power E needs to be mapped to a button that can be held, so the touch pad button can work.  From reading your post it seems like you may have the setting on that "invert(s) hold to tap", which may be adding to the confusion.  I tried to remap my controls too and a similar issue occurred with my touchpad; doing actions that weren't mapped to them.  I fixed this by reverting to default controls and re-remapping the controls, it works for me now.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)desmet525 said:

I understand your frustration
My controls have stayed the same since I first started playing when PS4 was released. Anyway, Power E needs to be mapped to a button that can be held, so the touch pad button can work.  From reading your post it seems like you may have the setting on that "invert(s) hold to tap", which may be adding to the confusion.  I tried to remap my controls too and a similar issue occurred with my touchpad; doing actions that weren't mapped to them.  I fixed this by reverting to default controls and re-remapping the controls, it works for me now.

I tried reverting them to default and then re-mapping them, but it didn't fix the issue. I'll try again and see what happens (deleting my local data might help).

I do have the "invert hold to tap" option on, so maybe I'll need to switch that back too. Hopefully if remapping them from default fixes it, then I can switch this option back too, since I need this selected to rotate Ivara's and Vauban's options quickly.

8 hours ago, (PS4)blackbeltdude7 said:

I tried reverting them to default and then re-mapping them, but it didn't fix the issue. I'll try again and see what happens (deleting my local data might help).

I do have the "invert hold to tap" option on, so maybe I'll need to switch that back too. Hopefully if remapping them from default fixes it, then I can switch this option back too, since I need this selected to rotate Ivara's and Vauban's options quickly.

Ahh ok, so wherever you map "Power E", you have to remember that you have to hold it to use Transference and tap it to use the Focus ability.  

OK, did some more testing.

@[DE]Drew Please check this out!

So, if I do set the controls to default, then they'll work in the Liset for sure. However! Sometimes it only works once, other times, it works consistently.

When I test this out in a mission, I've found that usually Power E set to the touch pad tap doesn't work no matter what, even if it worked in the Liset every time.

After a little experimenting, it seems like the following is happening with the touch pad tap input, when it comes to Power E being mapped to it:

1. Regardless of whether the inverted tap/hold option is selected, tapping the touch pad does nothing.

2. Regardless of whether the inverted tap/hold option is selected, holding down on the touch pad will always act as "Use selected power."

3. If I set a button to cycle left or right through my powers, cycling to Power E and tapping or holding the touch pad input will not active power E.

4. So far, I've never had Power E mapped to the touch pad tap input work properly in a mission since the update.

I've also tried deleting my Warframe save on my PS4 to see if this makes a difference. If I leave the controls as default, it seems like it works consistently every time (at least in the Liset). As soon as I remap things then it doesn't want to always work.

From what I can see, it looks like there's some kind of bug when it comes to mapping things to the touch pad tap input, but specifically with "classic controls." If I use "new controls" then the touch pad seems to work every time I use it, but because of how it's set up, I'm not able to use it since I can't remap things the way I want. 

I'm also thinking that the Liset isn't good for testing this. In some of the times I've mapped my controls, just pressing a button that brings up the power menu is enough to activate transference in the Liset. I'm not sure why this happens.

I don't know if this relates to the bug or not, but if I'm in a mission and I change my bindings, sometimes the UI icons will change in the game. Like, life support icons become asterisks or the circle-button icon.

I was able to get to the area were you have to face the big guards with the queens, the screen kept prompting me to use transference but no matter what I would do it would tell me can not use this power at this time. I have the power E mapped to the up button does not matter if I tap or hold down still will not work. I had to just shut the game down to get out. I will try to get back on tonight and hopefully can get through it this time.

• 2 months later...