Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eris has an area that drops the Framerate sharply

Kaotyke

If we can get past the usual thoughtless "upgrade hardware" comments, then I'll say that I too noticed on Eris framerate drops, I think that same area you took pictures of, huge frame drops. Hardware and ingame settings have stayed the same for months, and it didn't have those issues before, and other planets are running smoothly, just some new tweaks on Eris feel unoptimized. The recent Shipyards touch up has worked fine, haven't played it a lot but the time I played it I noticed no issues. Eris is a different matter.

It's not even an area that has anything particularly interesting, intensive or flashy going on, there are prettier areas in that particular Eris infested corpus ship tileset, that still run better than that hallway.

Edited by SnuggleBuckets

7 minutes ago, KingOfNightmare said:

noticed to have drop ONLY when passing the corridor with windows and stairs , the one that in normal corpus version has the breakable windows

yes ^this

I tried changing the graphical settings but still the same.

3 hours ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Is it because you're using a toaster?

Frame-drops like that are more than bound to happen when stuff starts to pile on the PC resources like it does in this game.
It even happened to me sometimes while using a dedicated laptop video card.

I have since upgraded.

Of course these issues don't happen as much on higher end computers, but that doesn't mean that we should just ignore it & go spend $800 (More or less of course) to just have a more powerful computer.

If most of the game runs at around 60 FPS, and then very certain few areas/tiles/levels knock it down to less than 20 FPS, then this is more than likely a problem with the game, not just the computer. And yes, there are always going to be parts of games that are more intensive. If your PC runs the main menu fine, but fighting a boss kills FPS, then it probably is your PC. DE probably just hasn't fully optimized these new areas like they've been doing with the Kuva Fortress tile-sets & such. Eventually these tiles will run around the same as every other tile, instead of killing the frame-rate.

If we just kept upgrading computers instead of telling devs to fix janky, un-optimized areas of their games, where would that get us? Probably to games that take up over 100's of gigabytes, running on computers that need waterfalls to keep them cool enough to not overheat.

7 minutes ago, Ninjamurai said:

Of course these issues don't happen as much on higher end computers, but that doesn't mean that we should just ignore it & go spend $800 (More or less of course) to just have a more powerful computer.

If most of the game runs at around 60 FPS, and then very certain few areas/tiles/levels knock it down to less than 20 FPS, then this is more than likely a problem with the game, not just the computer. And yes, there are always going to be parts of games that are more intensive. If your PC runs the main menu fine, but fighting a boss kills FPS, then it probably is your PC. DE probably just hasn't fully optimized these new areas like they've been doing with the Kuva Fortress tile-sets & such. Eventually these tiles will run around the same as every other tile, instead of killing the frame-rate.

If we just kept upgrading computers instead of telling devs to fix janky, un-optimized areas of their games, where would that get us? Probably to games that take up over 100's of gigabytes, running on computers that need waterfalls to keep them cool enough to not overheat.

I have to say I very much agree with this one. Not to mention I've noticed the drops as well and I normally get nearly 100 or more FPS in the game and some areas of the Eris tileset can drop me down to below 60 which to say it very noticeable.

21 minutes ago, DarkSajuuk said:

I have to say I very much agree with this one. Not to mention I've noticed the drops as well and I normally get nearly 100 or more FPS in the game and some areas of the Eris tileset can drop me down to below 60 which to say it very noticeable.

A lot of my post was kind of jokey, but I forgot to mention that stuff like this does affect good computers too. Just because someone who's rich can run the game at 200 FPS doesn't mean that the drop in frames doesn't happen for them. High end players still experience drops like low end players, it's just a lot less noticeable going from 200 frames to 100 frames.

I'm guessing the original post I quoted about 'just upgrade your PC' probably hadn't played on these tiles yet, and just took a glance & thought it had to do with too many enemies or something. But no, there *is* something wrong with some of the new levels that were added in this Glast Gambit update. Whether it's loading in a lot more of the area than we actually need, or some sort of behind the scenes thing, having parts of the game as simple as hallways or rooms that change good FPS to bad FPS is not good for anyone, let alone low end PC users.