Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven mods simply to encourage slot purchaes?

Shockwave-

I don't keep a ton of weapons around. I use what i like and discard the rest. I don't really WANT an arsenal of 100 weapons, id have weapons there i never use. I already have kept many event weapons and others i never use (but can't ever get again like the azima or the furax wraith).

With Rivens though, it makes it impossible to figure weapons out. I never liked despair or spira much. Didn't do well with them. But then, I can't really recall if i missed alot with them as they had flight time, or they did poor damage. I just recall I wasn't effective with them. But now Rivens come along. Could a riven make them good? If I got a riven and rebuit those weapons only to find out yeah, they still suck, or i'm still bad at them, that' seems like a lot of wasted effort.

I find myself looking at weapons that I would get rid of and think "what if I get a riven for them, would that make a difference"? Then I realize this is part of the plan - to make us hold on to all those lesser used weapons and purchase slots to hold onto them just in CASE we get a riven for them. But with hundreds of weapons in the game the odds of getting a riven for those weapons is very low. The odds of getting a usable one is low.

This is why the entire Riven system is bad. I can no longer compare two weapons, and decide which one i like because one gets better mods than the other and I have ZERO idea what those mods can do. I haven't the slightest clue what the maximum values on a faint mod are or a strong one. In addition two faint disposition weapons can have DIFFERENT limits on their riven mods. Now there is no way in the world i can figure out if weapon A with a riven will be as good or better than weapon B and I only need one twin pistol (like the aksomoti or akstiletto) I don't need duplicates of something like that.  I want to ditch one to free up a slot but Rivens make it nearly impossible to compare weapons anymore.

I for one, simply wont' buy more slots just to keep a weapon because I might get Riven for it (but likely won't given the number of rivens). I don't mind supporting the game but in this case it seems like the riven system is deliberately convoluted in a way that encourages players to spend money on something they may never actually get. The entire disposition system is terrible and should be thrown out. Rivens can exist but should all be equal and lesser used weapons should be buffed. When weapons are compared without Rivens we should have a good understanding of the weapon we want to use even if both were eventually equipped with a riven.

Slots are not that much, you can make one trade with a moderately difficult to get prime part and just buy one without much thought. I have been doing this since MR7 and after that I was just keeping everything that I crafted. I have not looked at Riven mods as promoting this probably because I was already doing it, minus the whole buying plat portion.

They do encourage a more various weapon usage. However, you are saying it like it's an inherently bad thing? I fail to understand why.

Oh, also, there is such a thing like a Riven so good that will make you play some "less used" weapons. I bought some Visican and Satiata type Riven mods (200-250% damage + 90-150% multishot) for weapons like Karak Wraith, Supra, Burston P and the total final damage is more than 3x higher. And I can assure you, that is way over what Soma P is capable of.

11 hours ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

They do encourage a more various weapon usage. However, you are saying it like it's an inherently bad thing? I fail to understand why.

Oh, also, there is such a thing like a Riven so good that will make you play some "less used" weapons. I bought some Visican and Satiata type Riven mods (200-250% damage + 90-150% multishot) for weapons like Karak Wraith, Supra, Burston P and the total final damage is more than 3x higher. And I can assure you, that is way over what Soma P is capable of.

Which is horrible for the game, because when we initially get the soma and karak and use them and compare them the soma is better, we have to know that Karak rivens are better than Soma rivens before we even start getting rivens to know which weapon will ultimately be the better weapon. It's a bit nuts. I know of no other game that has this kind of mystery surrounding their equipment. With numerical dispositions hidden to the player behind Faint and strong (it could be .5 faint, or .6 or .7 etc, we don't know).

So we get the soma and like it and forma it then a few months later start doing sorties and getting rivens and realize the karak is really better (not equal but much better as you say) with a riven and have to ditch the soma and forma the karak up and all that. Seems like a really poor design for a game, a frustrating design.

2 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

Which is horrible for the game, because when we initially get the soma and karak and use them and compare them the soma is better, we have to know that Karak rivens are better than Soma rivens before we even start getting rivens to know which weapon will ultimately be the better weapon. It's a bit nuts. I know of no other game that has this kind of mystery surrounding their equipment. With numerical dispositions hidden to the player behind Faint and strong (it could be .5 faint, or .6 or .7 etc, we don't know).

So we get the soma and like it and forma it then a few months later start doing sorties and getting rivens and realize the karak is really better (not equal but much better as you say) with a riven and have to ditch the soma and forma the karak up and all that. Seems like a really poor design for a game, a frustrating design.

The Division....