Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe armor type...?

Cry-Havoc

Question

OK... I need some clarifications.  For a long time I've been seeing/hearing that Warframes use Shields, Alloy Armor, and Flesh.  Recently though, I've started seeing posts popping up claiming that Warframes were switched over to Ferrite armor because of Detron crewmen and Void lasers murder people.  There's no clear answers to be had on the wiki and I can't find anything in patch notes, so now I'm here...

Do Warframes use Alloy or Ferrite armor?  When was this change made? Was it listed in patch notes? Was the change made because of Radiation damage enemies/traps?

Any halp on this topic would be much appreciated.

10 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

Warframes use Ferrite armor. Hence our particular weakness to Toxin and Radiation-based attacks. Unsure what type of shields we use.

Radiation doesn't do anything special to Ferrite.  It does extra to Alloy though.  Toxin either wrecks us because of Flesh type health or double wrecks us because of Flesh and Ferrite both being weak to it.

As far as I recall, Detron Crewman had their damage type changed so their Detrons are actually Puncture instead of Radiation so as to not be too powerful (pretty sure that's the status procs they cause anyway).  Still powerful, but not quite as much.

12 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Radiation doesn't do anything special to Ferrite.  It does extra to Alloy though.  Toxin either wrecks us because of Flesh type health or double wrecks us because of Flesh and Ferrite both being weak to it.

Ah, thank you for fact-checking me on the damages. I could have sworn Rad did something to both armor types, but oh well :P Seems we do, in fact, have a Flesh health type, but that is also calculated with our armor, just like enemy (Grineer) health. 

However, according to the wiki, Warframes have Ferrite armor and DO take increased damage from Toxin-based attacks because of that. Radiation has no bonus or adverse effects, it seems. 

So yeah, you were right lol

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

I guess the way to test it would be to go to a Dojo Duelling room with a friend, both as Inaros* to avoid having shields, and hit each other with Provas, each with just one mod, either Molten Impact (to give pure Radiation) or Fever Strike (to give pure Corrosive).  If a single hit with Radiation does more damage then we have Alloy, if a single hit with Corrosive does more damage then we have Ferrite.

*This would actually only prove it for Inaros and would need repeating with other frames to confirm that all frames have the same armour type but that could get complex due to the Shield type affecting the damage taken from either Corrosive or Radiation.