The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wall Running Vs Wall Hoping

(PSN)GuitarsAndSwords

Curious which you guys preferred?

Wall hop was a great idea for more freedom of movement in the vertical sense but stylistically does it suit the fast passed nature of warframe? Personally I think wall running should make a return and function in the same way as Titanfall/Black ops 3/Ninja gaiden. Bullet jumping from wall to wall and shooting everything in between seems pretty ninja!

What's your opinion?

When I was back after a break I thought there is some kind of bug because of that hopping. Running was looking so much better. I wish they could just remove wall running limitations but leave the animation as it was earlier. Would love to see wall running back.

Wall-running seems nice, but wall-hopping is better in terms of functionality. The biggest problem with wall-running was that, when holding the jump button to wall-run it locked us in a fixed movement along the wall with little control over which direction we want to go. Not only that, if you release the jump button, it will send you flying in an angle based on which direction you were wall-running which can easily send you into walls. This becomes a problem with Warframe's close quarter levels. And wall-running upwards was next to useless.

Wall-hopping and wall-latching solved some of these problems. Instead of locking us into an animation, we're only moving partially, and can choose to continue if we want by holding the jump button. And wall-hopping upwards became far better than wall-running upwards which we used to have. Wall-latching allows us to temporarily stick ourselves to the wall to shoot from it or stay there for a bit to figure where we want to go next(useful for Spy). The only downside wall-hopping is that it can look a bit weird, we sometimes move in directions we don't intend to(but still far better than what wall-running did), and we can no longer shoot while moving along the walls, which is what wall-latching took over.

If wall-running were to make a return, I would want it to have the same benefits of wall-hopping while keeping the wall-latching. And perhaps allow us to shoot again while moving along walls instead of having to wall-latch to do so.

Edited by Knightmare047

2 minutes ago, Knightmare047 said:

Wall-running seems nice, but wall-hopping is better in terms of functionality. The biggest problem with wall-running was that, when holding the jump button to wall-run it locked us in a fixed movement along the wall with little control over which direction we want to go. Not only that, if you release the jump button, it will send you flying in an angle based on which direction you were wall-running which can easily send you into walls. This becomes a problem with Warframe's close quarter levels.

Wall-hopping and wall-latching solved some of these problems. Instead of locking us into an animation, we're only moving partially, and can choose to continue if we want by holding the jump button. Wall-latching allows us to temporarily stick ourselves to the wall to shoot from it or stay there for a bit to figure where we want to go next(useful for Spy). The only downside Wall-hopping is that it can look a bit weird and we can no longer shoot while moving along the walls, which is what wall-latching took over.

If wall-running were to make a return, I would want it to have the same functions of wall-hopping while keeping the wall-latching. And perhaps allow us to shoot again while moving along walls instead of having to wall-latch to do so.

This is all mainly due to how the act of wall-running was implemented in the first place... you also have to remember, they did this way back in the beginning before they were at their current level of tech/funds. I'm sure if they brought it back, they could fix all the issues you pointed out. Wall running is still better in terms of immersion (at the very least).

19 hours ago, Genitive said:

I prefer wall hopping, but it requires some work. Like when you can't hop because the wall is not completely flat, or there is a tiny obstacle which makes you fall.

The funny part is wallhopping was implemented to be more compatible with non-flat walls....