Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Penta Riven Mod Effect?

(XBOX)RAG is NAROK

Question

So with the release of the Tether Grenades for the Penta on the PC I have been intrigued and I decided to try to get a secura penta and a riven mod for it (which I now have). So I just wanted to ask what is the mod ideal effect to have on a Penta riven mod?

---EDIT---

I just got one that has the following effects when maxed out. Reroll 2:

• +81% Multishot (just 9% less then Split Chamber)
  • +76.5% Cold Damage (16.5% more then status based elemental damage mods)
  • +47.1% Mag Cap (17.1% more then Magazine Warp)

I believe Multishot determines how many extra tether beams branch off of the grenades, however I can't say that for sure. The only issue with Cold that I see is that you are restricted to Viral, Blast, and Magnetic elemental combos. Not sure if that is too big an issue or not, or if it is possible to do a duel elemental combo like corrosive blast and still have a decent build.

Edited by (XB1)RAG is NAROK

18 answers to this question

Raw damage is always a plus.

You may or may not want extra multishot depending on how you use the Penta. The Penta can only have up to 5 grenades active at a time. Grenades created by multishot count towards this limit of 5, so a Riven mod that increases multishot will increase the damage of each payload you fire, but makes you reach the 5 grenade limit faster. Because of how accurate the Penta is, the grenades fired will overlap one another. With Tether Grenades, the overlapping grenades will tether to the same targets, which makes multishot detrimental if you plan to use the Penta as a crowd control weapon.

Crit chance is nice, but not needed. The Secura Penta only has a 10% base crit chance. Because it isn't a rapid fire weapon, it's not ideal to use a crit build on the Secura Penta like that you would build in a Tonkor because it would be very inconsistent with its damage, with no reliable crit rate, low minimums, and high maximums in damage output. It doesn't do any harm to have some extra crit chance on a Riven, but more raw damage is preferable.

Status is nice, but also no needed. The Secura Penta only has 10% status chance, so getting extra status helps, but not as much as for an actual status weapon.

Reload speed is good. The Secura Penta only has 7 rounds per magazine, so you'll find yourself reloading frequently. 

Fire rate is also good. It will allow you to bring out grenades faster. This allows you to deal more damage as well as allows you to set up a larger net with Tether Grenades much faster.

Elemental damage can be a bit tricky to manage if you plan to use all 4 elements. If a Riven mod has two elemental damage types, it might force your weapon to deal a damage type (e.g. cold and electric damage might cause your Penta to always deal magnetic damage unless you set up a combo elemental using either cold or electricity in slots prior to the Riven's slot) or it could just bug entirely and make your weapon deal the wrong damage type (e.g. a Penta that should be dealing corrosive + blast might be dealing magnetic + gas instead). It might also be difficult to polarize slots to fit the Riven into all 3 loadouts without it inducing the wrong combo elemental on one of the loadouts.

Multishot will cause you to launch a 3 cluster, then a 2 cluster.  Not a deal breaker, but like ^ above comment depends on user pref. 

I use flight speed for long balling on large maps.

(after mods) anything +25% or higher for total crit chance is nice, any +crit dmg.  I run 27.5% crit chance 4.4x crit dmg if you want a benchmark

+reload is a must for grenade spamming (my reload is 1.6-1.9 depending)

then all raw dmg + elemental you can fit

I get consistent 45k crits, and i can hit some really fun long shots with it.

You could do +reload speed if it bothers you, but I don't think it's bad.

Some people insist that crit builds are best on Penta, but I don't enjoy wasting slots on something so unreliable.

There's nothing huge that it really needs, so I suppose just go with damage. I re-rolled mine a bunch until I ended up with this, and I've been satisfied

508f23699fc4638bb25aaed74c755ad3.png

1 hour ago, Heckzu said:

Fire rate is also good. It will allow you to bring out grenades faster. This allows you to deal more damage as well as allows you to set up a larger net with Tether Grenades much faster.

1 hour ago, -Fe-McHamm3rShot said:

I use flight speed for long balling on large maps.

49 minutes ago, ashrah said:

personally i would go for raw dmg reload speed.. magazine size or velocity

Sorry for the double post. Just wanted to check and see if the new roll I got was any good.

O7T6r0F.jpgPunchthru unfort is a bit of a stat burn, great on pistols and autos, but grenades can already AOE.

When fighting lvl80+ enemies DMG is going to be more of a factor than quality of life stuff.

Prime cryo rounds +165% cold is nice.

I'd avoid the ammo and punchthru stats, use it as-is until you get a great roll.  It'll still smash stuff no prob^^.

I will edit this with a pic of my penta build for some reference.

Edited by -Fe-McHamm3rShot

5 hours ago, -Fe-McHamm3rShot said:

O7T6r0F.jpgPunchthru unfort is a bit of a stat burn, great on pistols and autos, but grenades can already AOE.

When fighting lvl80+ enemies DMG is going to be more of a factor than quality of life stuff.

Prime cryo rounds +165% cold is nice.

I'd avoid the ammo and punchthru stats, use it as-is until you get a great roll.  It'll still smash stuff no prob^^.

I will edit this with a pic of my penta build for some reference.

I rerolled and received this beautiful setup.

---

New Reroll:

• +81% Multishot
  • +76.5% Cold Damage
  • +47.1% Mag Cap

What do you think. :)