Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn Questions.

(PSN)bruh1v1rustplox

Question

So I am a spore saryn main and I've been messing around with builds and what not. My builds pretty set but my main question is: should I use a weapon that spreads the spores or not? I get the idea is to spread spores but for my primary I use sancti Tigris for when my spores can't take out higher mobs it has corrosive and fire on it so tackle the big guys. Idk tho any thoughts?

10 answers to this question

Spreading Spores is Saryn's primary purpose in a group. Most AoE weapons do this well.

The Secondary aspect of spores is up to the player. Sometimes using Toxic/Gas to cause spores to do extra explosion damage isn't worth while but other times, esp for melee. it's quite good. Depends on your build and weapons of choice.

I personally always use AoE weapons with Saryn. Simulor and Staticor are prolly my favorites.

4 hours ago, (PS4)bruh1v1rustplox said:

I get the idea is to spread spores but for my primary I use sancti Tigris

You do have a Secondary weapon slot, you know? :P

Pox is my weapon of choice both for popping Spores (be it on enemies or Molt)
and to spread Toxin around at the same time (when used on enemies, along with Blast knockdowns).

Staticor or Concealed Explosives Hikou Prime are also fine choices.

6 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

You do have a Secondary weapon slot, you know? :P

Pox is my weapon of choice both for popping Spores (be it on enemies or Molt)
and to spread Toxin around at the same time (when used on enemies, along with Blast knockdowns).

Staticor or Concealed Explosives Hikou Prime are also fine choices.

Ya I use hikous CE for secondary but mainly I just one shot them with sancti and the proc it has spreads corrosive I could change it to gas

1 hour ago, (PS4)bruh1v1rustplox said:

Ya I use hikous CE for secondary but mainly I just one shot them with sancti and the proc it has spreads corrosive I could change it to gas

This will be a bit long but I'm gonna try to explain why that's not such a great idea.

Each time you pop spores they explode and deal damage to everyone nearby. That's where most of your spore damage will come from. So if you use a very slow weapon to pop the spores you'll lose damage because you won't be able to pop them as often as you should. This basically means you'll be less effective against large clusters of enemies which is where Saryn really shines.

Another important detail is that you should always avoid using weapons that deal physical damage. And that's because spores require toxin status procs in order to get a damage bonus. Those procs can come from either toxin damage or gas damage, but they need to proc. What happens when you use a physical weapon is that even if you have 100% status chance, the damage type that procs is random. The game rolls a dice to figure out if you're gonna get a slash, impact, puncture or toxic proc. So you only have a 25% chance of getting the proc you want even if your weapon has 100% status chance. I'm not saying you can't use physical weapons, but you should avoid them if your goal is to deal damage via spores.

These are the reasons why Saryn players usually prefer weapons that are fast, deal innate elemental damage, have high status chance and deal area damage. Some good examples are the Ignis, the Staticor and the Pox.

Lastly, always remember that spore Saryn has two big counters. The first one are strong isolated enemies and the second one is armor. To deal with strong isolated enemies you'll need a powerful weapon that preferably deals corrosive damage (like the Tigris you're already using). However, to deal with armor you'll probably end up having to rely on Corrosive Projection.

5 minutes ago, Amazerath said:

This will be a bit long but I'm gonna try to explain why that's not such a great idea.

Each time you pop spores they explode and deal damage to everyone nearby. That's where most of your spore damage will come from. So if you use a very slow weapon to pop the spores you'll lose damage because you won't be able to pop them as often as you should. This basically means you'll be less effective against large clusters of enemies which is where Saryn really shines.

Another important detail is that you should always avoid using weapons that deal physical damage. And that's because spores require toxin status procs in order to get a damage bonus. Those procs can come from either toxin damage or gas damage, but they need to proc. What happens when you use a physical weapon is that even if you have 100% status chance, the damage type that procs is random. The game rolls a dice to figure out if you're gonna get a slash, impact, puncture or toxic proc. So you only have a 25% chance of getting the proc you want even if your weapon has 100% status chance. I'm not saying you can't use physical weapons, but you should avoid them if your goal is to deal damage via spores.

These are the reasons why Saryn players usually prefer weapons that are fast, deal innate elemental damage, have high status chance and deal area damage. Some good examples are the Ignis, the Staticor and the Pox.

Lastly, always remember that spore Saryn has two big counters. The first one are strong isolated enemies and the second one is armor. To deal with strong isolated enemies you'll need a powerful weapon that preferably deals corrosive damage (like the Tigris you're already using). However, to deal with armor you'll probably end up having to rely on Corrosive Projection.

so basically keep tigris and keep a decent secondary with high toxin proc and what not i also have a elemental nikana build with gas on it aswell

1 minute ago, (PS4)bruh1v1rustplox said:

so basically keep tigris and keep a decent secondary with high toxin proc and what not i also have a elemental nikana build with gas on it aswell

That's what I do, yes. I use the Lesion for melee but I imagine Nikana will work just fine.

I main Saryn and her spores. I use the Spira Prime (high multishot to hit multiple enemies, high crit, and explosives to pop spores) and Hirudo as melee to get the health regen. Works like a charm for me. #sarynisbae

Edited by Rosellaa