Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stance mods and the amount of combos they have.

AXCrusnik

So with the Devstream coming up I asked my question in the thread, hoping some of the older stances I find a bit.. starved for variety get some love with more combos per stance. Mostly I really dislike when a stance has only 1 alternate combo (If DE thinks some stances should have less combos than others... that's fine, but at least give us 2 alternate combos on each so we can spice things up). So I decided to find out just how many stances have only 1 or 2 alternate combos. Here's that data if anyone wants it (hopefully this data will help DE decide where to start, if they do decide to add more combos to those lacking).

Excuse the lazy formatting, just copy pasted from Notepad.

Alphabetical

1.  Astral Twi - 3
2.  Atlantis V - 3
3.  Bleeding W - 1 !!
4.  Blind Just - 3
5.  Brutal Tid - 1 !!
6.  Bullet Dan - 3
7.  Burning Wa - 2 !
8.  Clashing F - 2 !
9.  Cleaving W - 3
10. Coiling Vi - 1 !!
11. Crimson De - 2 !
12. Crossing S - 3
13. Crushing R - 3
14. Decisive J - 3
15. Defiled Sn - 3
16. Eleventh S - 3
17. Final Harb - 3
18. Flailing B - 2 !
19. Four Rider - 3
20. Fracturing - 3
21. Gaia's Tra - 3
22. Gemini Cro - 3
23. Gleaming T - 2 !
24. Gnashing P - 2 ! (Almost 1)
25. Grim Fury  - 2 !
26. High Noon  - 2 !
27. Homing Fan - 2 !
28. Iron Phoen - 1 !!
29. MaliciousR - 3
30. Pointed Wi - 1 !!
31. Reaping Sp - 2 !
32. Rending Cr - 3
33. Seismic Pa - 3
34. Shattering - 3
35. Shimmering - 1 !!
36. Sinking Ta - 1 !!
37. SovereignO - 3
38. Spinning N - 3
39. Stalking F - 2 !
40. SunderingW - 3
41. Swirling T - 2 !
42. Tempo Roya - 3
43. Tranquil C - 3
44. Vengeful R - 3
45. Vermillion - 3
46. Vulpine Ma - 3

Weapon Category

Blade-Whip Stances
  Defiled Sn - 3

Claw Stances
  Four Rider - 3
  MaliciousR - 3
  Vermillion - 3

Dagger Stances
  Homing Fan - 2 !
  Pointed Wi - 1 !!

Dual Dagger Stances
  Gnashing P - 2 ! *(Almost 1)
  Sinking Ta - 1 !!
  Spinning N - 3

Dual Sword Stances
  Crossing S - 3
  Swirling T - 2 !

Fist Stances
  Seismic Pa - 3
  Fracturing - 3
  Gaia's Tra - 3

Glaive Stances
  Astral Twi - 3
  Gleaming T - 2 !

Gunblade Stances
  Bullet Dan - 3
  High Noon  - 2 !

Hammer Stances
  Crushing R - 3
  Shattering - 3

Heavy Blade Stances
  Cleaving W - 3
  Rending Cr - 3
  Tempo Roya - 3

Machete Stances
  SunderingW - 3

Nikana Stances
  Blind Just - 3
  Decisive J - 3
  Tranquil C - 3

Nunchaku Stances
  Atlantis V - 3

Polearm Stances
  Bleeding W - 1 !!
  Shimmering - 1 !!

Rapier Stances
  Vulpine Ma - 3

Scythe Stances
  Reaping Sp - 2 !
  Stalking F - 2 !

Sparring Stances
  Brutal Tid - 1 !!
  Grim Fury  - 2 !

Staff Stances
  Clashing F - 2 !
  Flailing B - 2 !

Sword Stances
  Crimson De - 2 !
  Iron Phoen - 1 !!
  Vengeful R - 3

Sword+Shield Stances
  Eleventh S - 3
  Final Harb - 3

Tonfa Stances
  Gemini Cro - 3
  SovereignO - 3

Whip Stances
  Burning Wa - 2 !
  Coiling Vi - 1 !!

Stances with only ONE combo

1. Bleeding W - 1 !!
2. Brutal Tid - 1 !!
3. Coiling Vi - 1 !!
4. Iron Phoen - 1 !!
5. Pointed Wi - 1 !!
6. Shimmering - 1 !!
7. Sinking Ta - 1 !!

* Gnashing P - 2 ! (Worth noting: it's 2 alternate combos are nearly identical)

Looking under weapon category we can see Polearms have the worst combo count, having only 2 stances that both only have 1 alternate combo each. Dual Daggers are hurting pretty bad as Gnashing Payara might as well have only 1, Sinking Talon actually does have only 1... but at least there's Spinning Needle I guess.

Well, what do you guys think? Are you bothered by lack of combo variety as well, or do you think they're fine as is?

Edited by AXCrusnik
Typos

A lot of the older stances are very underpowered and boring compared to their newer counterparts. Sadly some weapon classes have not been gettign any attention lately leaving them with no useful stances whatsoever. The biggest losers in the Stance department right now are definitley single daggers, polearms and machetes (with an honorary mention for dual swords).

1 hour ago, AXCrusnik said:

Polearm Stances
  Bleeding W - 1 !!
  Shimmering - 1 !!

For the occasional cases like this, a good solution would be to simply merge them into a single glorious stance that contains all the weapon's animations. It's also the quickest solution, since no new assets would have to be made.

Edited by SortaRandom

Don't tell me. There are so many weapons i don't use, or i never equip, because their stances suck balls. I'd say that on top of the number problem, which you have got spot on and is a big bother, some stances are also too old and lack the cool and useability factor, and the damage multipliers, of newer ones.

Anyway props for the list, that's really a nice work you did - have my +1.

6 minutes ago, CrudShuzKong said:

I don't think swirling tiger is anywhere that high up, but i guess it is quite good. I really don't like how immobile the one good combo is though...

Given the actual best stance (as in "one that provides highest DPS increase") belongs to single daggers and single daggers are garbage - Swirling Tiger is easily the second best stance in the game. 

It has higher DPS increase than Crimson Dervish, Blind Justice, Vengeful Revenant, or basically any stance that isn't Cleaving Whirlwind or Pointed Wind. Plus it provides knockback (instead of blow-back, which obstructs your melee) and absurdly strong ground finisher (well, this one is just a trait of all Dual Swords).

Edited by Epsik-kun

5 minutes ago, Epsik-kun said:

Given the actual best stance (as in "one that provides highest DPS increase") belongs to single daggers and single daggers are garbage - Swirling Tiger is easily the second best stance in the game.

If you are just crunching numbers, most definitely. But in order to make use of the benefits of all those multipliers you need to hit with all of those attacks and a lot of enemies just don't walk into your swords while you are standing and swinging (except maybe infested, those guys are nice). Compare this to the dash attack of blind justice, that has guaranteed slash procs and allows you to chase down or lock onto new targets, I would rank that a lot higher even if its multipliers are a lot worse.

Edited by CrudShuzKong

7 minutes ago, CrudShuzKong said:

I don't think swirling tiger is anywhere that high up, but i guess it is quite good.

Agreed, I also feel like Crossing Snakes got more hate than it deserved TBH. Dual sword stances is part of why I'm okay with some 2 combo stances. Those and some others can make 2 alternate combos feel acceptable and not bare-boned like 1-combo stances do. Though I do feel that Rare 2 combo stances should be avoided.

24 minutes ago, Epsik-kun said:

Press "forward" for God's sake. You can move while meleeing since forever.

Yeah only that different stances slow you down differently. And swirling tiger happens to be one of the slower stances around (apart from the slam at the end of the combo, which happens to be pretty weak in return).

Just now, CrudShuzKong said:

Yeah only that different stances slow you down differently. And swirling tiger happens to be one of the slower stances around (apart from the slam at the end of the combo, which happens to be pretty weak in return).

Not really. Going for all the "mobile" options of, say, Blind Justice will only slow you down. And slam is insanely strong as the ground finisher of Dual Swords is a thing.

• 3 months later...