Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I survive longer in a sortie mission?

DrakoKnight48

Question

I've been playing this game for nearly a year now, yet I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to survive longer in a sortie mission. Is it a maxed out Steel Fiber what I need or a Maxed Vitality mod? Thus far I don't have enough credits to Max our either which cost either 7 or 9 space. Got any advice?  

11 answers to this question

It's not just about the mods you bring but the frame you slap those mods on. Tanky frames like Chroma, Rhino, Inaros etc. are all very good at surviving sortie levels of damage if you build them right, and very CC heavy or stealth frames like Loki, Vauban and Nova can also work by not getting hit at all.

in sortie u need to stay with team..      use quick thinking...take cover shot...alwayes kill first heavy guneers. napalms.bombards..best way to improve u def is to know wen to hide...dont count to much on def mods cz they hit pretty hard

Almost every frame needs a near max vitality.  It sounds like you need to start building up frames, weapons and mods.  

Sortie can be intimidating at first, but some are easier than others.  Sortie spy, for instance, is exactly the same as regular spy except you can't use ciphers.  You can beat this game type and several others without ever fighting the enemy.

Don't just bring a tank warframe so you can merely survive while others carry you.  Sortie, like the other hard content in the game, is testing your ability to pick the right kit to get the job done efficiently.  Often a crowd control frame like Nyx or Nova can survive better than a tank, avoiding damage while actively helping the team.  

It would help to know what frames and weapons you have, then we can start suggesting builds, but everything you bring to sortie should have a potato and mostly ranked up mods.

4-5x Formae: Banshee, Nova, Saryn, Mag, Loki, Frost, Inaros

4-5x Formae: Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Bow, Sniper

4-5x Formae: Decent secondary

1-2x Formae: Melee

6-7x Formae: Sentinel and Companion 

All potatoed

Primed Flow max + Quick Thinking, except Inaros where Rage is waaaayyy better

Energy and Health pizzas

And u are prepared to any type of Sortie, if I didn't forget something, of course.

1 hour ago, ashrah said:

in sortie u need to stay with team..      use quick thinking...take cover shot...alwayes kill first heavy guneers. napalms.bombards..best way to improve u def is to know wen to hide...dont count to much on def mods cz they hit pretty hard

And all those pale in comparison to the sheer killer DPS the Techs have. Why do ppl always mention the Grineer units first, which tend to have lower damage than most Corpus units?

19 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

And all those pale in comparison to the sheer killer DPS the Techs have. Why do ppl always mention the Grineer units first, which tend to have lower damage than most Corpus units?

cz corpus is much more easy to kill lvl by lvl......grineers have hit scan wepons corpus travel time its more easy avoid tech then heavy guneer

9 minutes ago, ashrah said:

cz corpus is much more easy to kill lvl by lvl......grineers have hit scan wepons corpus travel time its more easy avoid tech then heavy guneer

To give you an example, I can tank in the Simularcum with Chroma 20 lvl 145 Heavy Gunners at the same time and kill them before they kill me. However I can't do the same thing with 5 Techs, if I let them live for more than 2 seconds. Their damage is incredible, truly the deadliest unit in the game. And the time required to kill them is not that much lower either.

Don't expect to face-tank enemies at or above Sortie 3 level (think well over 100) for prolonged time without resorting to cheesy abilities. It's just how the scaling works in Warframe - enemy damage and armor values ramp up so quickly that survival becomes a matter of not being hit at all (invisibility, hard crowd control) or using abilities that make you invulnerable/almost invulnerable. Well, maybe except for Inaros, who has so much HP that Rage + Life Strike can keep him going a bit longer than the rest. 

Other than that - as I said, don't get hit, which means apply CC whenever possible - Radial/Irradiating Disarm, Chaos, Blind, Bastille/Vortex, Sound Quake, Molecular Prime and the like. Or use abilities that allow you to ignore all/most of the damage. Hysteria, Defy, Shatter Shield, Snow Globe (for missions where you don't have to go anywhere), Bless/Link, Turbulence... Pick your poison. And of course, there's stealth, ranging from ultra-cheesy Naramon passive to different stealth frames. Just be wary of Nullifiers and AoE-spamming enemies. Being stealthy while standing inside a Sapping Osprey mine filed leads to being dead rather quickly. 

You can also try to be VERY mobile, as in, never stand in one spot, bullet jump and roll all the time or use melee blocking, just don't forget that Sortie objective usually differs from "jump around like crazy or hide in a corner holding block", because you also have to kill stuff.  

There's also the issue of recognizing WHAT kills you, and reacting accordingly. For example: The blue mines/grenades dropped by Corpus Osprays are VERY deadly - there can be more than one in the same stack, you don't necessarily notice the blue pulse ring because of all the other stuff that's going on the screen. The mine/grenade itself is easy to miss, being small and easily lost in the crowds, and can be hard to hit with some weapons. Another thing that often kills me are the nullifier bubbles. If I'm playing a squishy frame, Grineer Hyekka's are a very real danger - they are able to quickly close in, are surprisingly sturdy, and you don't necessarily spot them easily when the regular grineer units are bigger and thus take your attention more easily.

Recognize what enemies you struggle with, and adapt your strategies accordingly. Also note that Max Steel Fiber is nearly useless on most frames - its usefulness depends on the amount of armour your frame had in the first place. Modding your frame with maxed Vitality and Maxed Redirection will obviously make you Last Longer (and maxed Vigor for that extra bit of health and shields) - but they are only postponing your death - you also need some way to recover that lost health and/or shields. Health&Shield packs work. Using a frame that can give you breathing room (CC; stealth) or just learning to move out of the way and into "safe spots" until your shields regen also helps.

Having a properly modded Sentinel can also help: Sanctuary shields you while you are reviving a team-mate - and that's a must, since you are very vulnerable when standing still and trying to revive someone, especially if the enemies that killed them are still there. Guardian restores your shields when they run out (cooldown of 30 seconds) practically doubling your shield capacity in a pinch. Shield Charger makes your shields more effective. Medi-Ray gives you health regen that isn't very good at actually Keeping You Alive, but can patch you up after you've taken damage, if given some time.

Using Syndicate Weapons or Weapons with Syndicate Mods can give you periodic syndicate procs that heal you or restore shields (and deal damage&status in an AoE). There are a couple of weapons that can also heal you, as well as life-strike melee weapons.

Also, always remember to pick the right tools for the job. What frame (and to a lesser extent, what weapons) you bring to a mission should be strongly dependant on what the mission is.