Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

how to defeat raptor as a new player?

(PSN)rob_mafia

Question

i know that there are 3 and that i need to pick up the stupid battery/bomb. 

i can't even do about 10% damage to the first one.  tried using a few different weapons (braton, buston, angstrum), tried using electric, toxin, gas, corrosive...

i looked it up and saw nothing but ignoramuses with end game builds/items saying it's easy and mag's magnetic ability (i'm using mag), which seems to have been nerfed into oblivion because it does virtually nothing the 15 times i've tried (the duration seems to be about 1/3 of what it's listed and my weapons seem to have little effect when firing into it).  even with casting it and polarize (and firing into it as much as i could) did only negligible damage.

i'm no stranger to hard games but this seems to be legitimately impossible for new players, without some form of amazing luck or utter cheese.

no, i can't use a tigris prime or sancti tigris or etc because i just started playing last week.

it sucks enough to hit what seems like a gamebreaking wall without tonight's gift from the lotus mission also being behind it.

Edited by (PS4)rob_mafia

18 answers to this question

Try using a Mag. Cast Bullet Magnet on him and all his projectiles will come back to him and he's done for. If it does nothing, increase range and strength.

Another way: U got Wukong? Build him for max duration and with Rage. Then you ahve an immortal warrior.

Too bad you're on PS4, if you were on PC i could help you.

Edited by DarkRuler2500

...umm... like i already said, i tried using magnetize on it.  like... 15-20 times.

it does little to nothing, and the duration seems to only be about a third of it's stated duration.  additionally, it can basically only be used once per raptor, as any additional uses of it seem to only last for about 1 whole second.

yes.  i totallllllllllly have wukong.  because all n00bs who just started playing this and can't even get to saturn have multiple warframes.  clearly. 

15 minutes ago, (PS4)rob_mafia said:

-snip-

yes.  i totallllllllllly have wukong.  because all n00bs who just started playing this and can't even get to saturn have multiple warframes.  clearly. 

Yo man he's giving ideas, trying to help. This isn't the right attitude you know?

You might obviously have difficulty beating mid to late game bosses with starting gear, your best bet here is asking in Recruit for people to help you. I've helped several people beat bosses so they can progress... also make sure to thank whoever helps ya.

Join a clan. Build Volt from the dojo. Lvl him until you have his 3rd ability. Stand behind it at all times. Take potshots at the raptors.

Considering you didn't mentioned once about joining squads or teammates, I'ma assume that you're a solo player. Don't use that excuse for joining a clan. You're not obligated to play with other players, even with clanmates, but if you're having this much trouble, suck it up and play with people who can help.

1 hour ago, (PS4)rob_mafia said:

i know that there are 3 and that i need to pick up the stupid battery/bomb. 

i can't even do about 10% damage to the first one.  tried using a few different weapons (braton, buston, angstrum), tried using electric, toxin, gas, corrosive...

i looked it up and saw nothing but ignoramuses with end game builds/items saying it's easy and mag's magnetic ability (i'm using mag), which seems to have been nerfed into oblivion because it does virtually nothing the 15 times i've tried (the duration seems to be about 1/3 of what it's listed and my weapons seem to have little effect when firing into it).  even with casting it and polarize (and firing into it as much as i could) did only negligible damage.

i'm no stranger to hard games but this seems to be legitimately impossible for new players, without some form of amazing luck or utter cheese.

no, i can't use a tigris prime or sancti tigris or etc because i just started playing last week.

it sucks enough to hit what seems like a gamebreaking wall without tonight's gift from the lotus mission also being behind it.

What do your builds look like for your weapon, and frame?

11 minutes ago, Xionyde134 said:

Join a clan. Build Volt from the dojo. Lvl him until you have his 3rd ability. Stand behind it at all times. Take potshots at the raptors.

Considering you didn't mentioned once about joining squads or teammates, I'ma assume that you're a solo player. Don't use that excuse for joining a clan.

yup, solo.

and i'd just quit before joining a clan.

1 minute ago, MillbrookWest said:

What do your builds look like for your weapon, and frame?

given that i changed the mods up each time (for no noticeable difference), it doesn't seem to matter.  30 mod points of serration/infected clip/hellfire/stormbringer, point strike, reload speed.

mag using redirection, vitality, stretch, steel fiber, and an ele resistance.

at this point, i'm just curious if it's even feasible to be completed with basic gear/frame, at this point.  all evidence i've seen was either with gg gear or seemingly before some sort of nerf to magnetize.

it's possible that i should attempt it with a weapon like tigris or dragkoon or something.  but waiting 24+ hours to build one defeats this purpose, anyway.

1 hour ago, (PS4)rob_mafia said:

given that i changed the mods up each time (for no noticeable difference), it doesn't seem to matter.  30 mod points of serration/infected clip/hellfire/stormbringer, point strike, reload speed.

mag using redirection, vitality, stretch, steel fiber, and an ele resistance.

at this point, i'm just curious if it's even feasible to be completed with basic gear/frame, at this point.  all evidence i've seen was either with gg gear or seemingly before some sort of nerf to magnetize.

By Europa, you probably should have moved away from the starter gear. When i got to Jupiter i was doing a whole '1' damage with my braton (you're kinda doing better than me at this point), so i got myself a Latron.

You'd be on your toes even with maxed mods on a braton/burston running Europa. 

It's kinda useless info, but if you weren't around last year, try to sign in at some point during this years anniversary event (in march sometime) - You should get a Dex Sybaris. You can take this with you to end game if you don't like switching weapons.

But on to the builds, what level is the Serration mod? Again kinda useless info for immediacy, but you should put as much endo into serration, as you see fit, as you go through the solar system. This then benefits things like your Point Strike, which is kinda not useful atm considering the damage value is is multiplying. 

As for your Warframe - Steel Fiber is also kinda useless, Mag only has 65 Armour so you won't see big boosts to survivability the deeper into the Solar system you go. Eventually its presence will be entirely useless on Mag. Switch it out for a Streamline mod, Mag relies a bit more on her powers, so you should focus on being able to use them as much as possible. Also add a flow mod if you have one.

short of playing in a public match with others to beat him.... 

work on maxing out your mods.   with weak mods your frames and weapons will stay weak no matter what.

which gets you back to what the rest of us have to deal with even once you have the whole star chart open..

farm, farm... more farming... and, oh ya farm some more...   did i mention farming....   hours upon hours of running missions

for no other reason then to just do more farming... all for endo, dissolving extra unwanted mods into endo, credits, resources that add right up

when you stop paying attention to them....

once your mods get stronger your frames/weapons will get stronger. then at some point later for no reason at all, stick 8 forma into all mk-1 weapons just for fun and run sorties, maxed out mods make it "possible"   takes forever to kill lvl100+ but it can be done...

btw did i mention this game kinda pushes Farmy McFarmingtion's world of farming on players?   

why you still reading this...   go farm already.

Edited by (PS4)Whatawaytogo

I think the problem lies with your build.

When I was solo last time I also use mag, hell I don't even know how to properly use mod. But I have a soma with an undamaged Serration mod.

Use magnetize on raptor and shoot till they die.  

That was how I defeated them solo... last time.

What they said (farm and max your mods, try differnt builds...).

Also, try different weapons. Its true that properly modded braton burston or angstrum should have no problem with anything on the map. But if you lack proper mods or catalysts, I would suggest getting better weapons.

From the top of my head:

Boltor is powerful and easy to aquire early.

Soma is very powerful if you have the mastery and the mods (crit) for it.

Karak is a strong rifle usable at lower MR.

Hek if you like shotguns is very good.

Lex/Aklex are great secondaries (both prime and normal).

As for frames try getting Rhino - its easy to get, its tanky (Iron skin), it can help you boost your damage output (Roar) and never underestimate the cc from Stomp.

Yes, these guys are a royal pain.  And yes, I think they are a bit over-powered for where they are in the star chart.  I totally failed on them the first few times I tried them.  When I did finally get past them I got lucky and got into group that could take them down in just a few shots.  A little while ago I came back to farm them for Nova and started paying attention to the others in my group.  Several times I've gotten into group where someone has the Synoid Simulor and this weapon just seems to wreck them (but let's be honest, that's a Syndicate weapon and most players working through the star chart won't have access to it at this point in the game).

While farming them I was MR10, playing mostly Frost (a rather tanky frame so I could take some hits).  I'd gotten into a few groups with MR 6-10 buds and we'd had some fun fights - won a few and lost a few (lost as in we've run out of ammo and had to abort).  I was using a Vulkar that did about 1,200 magnetic damage / shot with a 50% critical chance and a 4x critical multiplier.  And even with that it takes me 6 or 8 shots and damage from all the others as well to bring each one down.  And with this setup the mission stats at the end had me doing over 50% of the damage  (and I NEVER do the majority of the damage).

Some other thoughts:

- Try to kill them close to the reactors (not too hard for the first 2, but when you get to the last one you don't want to have to carry the reactor all the way across the room)

- Have someone wait under him when he's about to go down and quickly grab the reactor to get it into the chute.

- You can leave the room and scrounge the level for more ammo (done that a few times)

So in short, get a hard hitting weapon and some friends.  

Hit me up if you want, I might be online later tonight EST.  

Good luck, Tenno.