Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Tenno, I need help in planning my next step

(PSN)Kyerrid

Question

Hi guys,

I'm playing Warframe for almost a month and I thing I am doing pretty good although I feel I am somewhat capped in my Warframe "combat level".

I am mastery rank 4, I've completed Earth, Venus and Mercury and I am already regolarly putting an extractor to have some more resources.

Then I decided to rush Jupiter because I saw that Ceres and Jupiter resources were too much important in crafting new Warframes and Forma.

I follow Alerts, I am following Steel Meridian and Cephalon Simaris associations and I created a clan for me and my friends.

Despite of this, I feel I am experiencing problems in fighting with mobs with level 20+ and I don't know what I can do to improve my damage and tankiness.

I am using Volt warframe which I like much and I have Vitality and Redirection at rank 7 plus Intensify (I have capped my 30 slots).

What could be my next steps in improving my warframe? :(

Thanks!

20 answers to this question

The first step would be obtaining an Gold Potato (Orokin Reactor) for your warframe, which will allow you to attach more mods. As you rank up, you will see an increase in survivability and dmg with the more mods you can equip. 

Then finding a weapon you like and ranking it up, and eventually attaching a Orokin Catalyst to it. 

Basically it comes down to the mods that you have. You will get better / stronger ones as you progress through the star chart, and once you able to farm certain areas, or get into trading with other people, you will see a big difference in strength of your warframe. 

i can give u my  end game volt build...narrow minded max.primed continuity max.primed flow max. fleeting rank 4 streamline rank4...that will take care u will never run out of energy...quick thinking.intesity.transient fortitude.rush.corrosive projection.

I have Volt but not used him so I can't help with builds there but he is no tank as far as I know. If you look up his abilities on the wiki there are tabs for augmenting, how to maximise his abilities and known tips/tricks which may help get the most out of the abilities.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Volt

Levelling up your mods is priority 1 and finding a decent weapon. One thing many, myself included at first, don't think of is elemental damage mods. You should have at least 2 elemental damage mods as about a third of your weapon damage comes from those. Try combining mods for things like blast or radiation damage.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)cdnmouse82 said:

The first step would be obtaining an Gold Potato (Orokin Reactor) for your warframe, which will allow you to attach more mods. As you rank up, you will see an increase in survivability and dmg with the more mods you can equip. 

Then finding a weapon you like and ranking it up, and eventually attaching a Orokin Catalyst to it. 

Basically it comes down to the mods that you have. You will get better / stronger ones as you progress through the star chart, and once you able to farm certain areas, or get into trading with other people, you will see a big difference in strength of your warframe. 

I've found the schema for Orokin Catalyst atm, I'll see how to find Oroking Reactor.

So the trick is to increase mod capacity and max out (at least) vitality and redirection, but I have to find Primed/Nightmare/Corrupted mods in order to have a big improvement.

5 minutes ago, Sphirical said:

Start doing Jackal on Venus a few times and start building Rhino. He will help you through the early stages of the game. For more damage start building the normal Boltor, which will also help you early game.

I have farmed all the bosses I met till now so I can buld Rhino, Frost, Mag and even Nyx (thanks to a invasion).

I put up Frost to build yesterday and I have Boltor capped to 30 too.

Till now I think Boltor is my best primary weapon, I didn't like Braton while Gorgon is ok but ends bullets too fast.

For Volt. (Notes from a Volt Prime) 

You need to find a few mods, as well as a reactor (usually devstreams tend to spawn one), I would recommend you build more your shields than you health since Volt has a important pool in this category. For this purpose you can go with redirection and Vigor to augment your maximum amount, as well, if you feel your shield falls down too fast you can use Fast Deflection to recharge faster. 

For powers, until you get into min/maxing I'd say a power and range focused build should suffice providing heavy attacks over long distances, but you'll have to be careful as Grineers have a natural resistance to electricity.

If you though want to be more effective against all factions, a range and duration build is more appropriate as it will stretch out and reinforce the duration of your Overload, providing great Crowd control and some nice damages with crowds. 

As for weapons. 

Boltor is a good start up as it has some impressive damage output among the early primaries, but that is not the sole weapon easy to access with good payout in damage. For a secondary I recommend you give a look at the Lex with its immense firepower for a pistol you can take this weapon directly from the marker just by paying in Credits and make it later into a double pistol version of it. 

I won't give any recommendations for melee as it is here more a question of taste rather than effectiveness that should dictate those choice (in my opinion) 

Try also Hek, good shotgun and can carry you pretty well. My advice would be to build Frost, do some excavations, get the relics and then do fissures. Get the prime parts from the fissures (try to get Volt prime while he is still around too), craft some prime gear and sell anything you do not need for platinum to other players. This way, you will get the platinum needed for catalysts, reactors and slots. Get also Rhino that is a HUGE help for nightmare missions. Do some of them and try selling the mods you get as reward (keep one for yourself of course).

Before adding a reactor to Volt, try farming for an Aura mod (alerts usually have them as rewards). The Aura mod will give you some extra mod capacity (5-18) depending on the polarity, which will add some breathing space on your configuration...

Start some projects in your Dojo and get for you and your clan mates, access to some really good weapons, gear and warframes

Try not to spend too much to early, make wise decisions and invest on things that will be used more. Warframe needs time to be learned and enjoyed, give it some time and it will reward you.

Hope I helped :)

29 minutes ago, Shalath said:

I have Volt but not used him so I can't help with builds there but he is no tank as far as I know. If you look up his abilities on the wiki there are tabs for augmenting, how to maximise his abilities and known tips/tricks which may help get the most out of the abilities.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Volt

Levelling up your mods is priority 1 and finding a decent weapon. One thing many, myself included at first, don't think of is elemental damage mods. You should have at least 2 elemental damage mods as about a third of your weapon damage comes from those. Try combining mods for things like blast or radiation damage.

You're right.

I am using just one mod for elemental damage (because I have limited mod slots) but I was thinking to radiation damage (or corrosive) too.

10 minutes ago, Cyriann said:

For Volt. (Notes from a Volt Prime) 

You need to find a few mods, as well as a reactor (usually devstreams tend to spawn one), I would recommend you build more your shields than you health since Volt has a important pool in this category. For this purpose you can go with redirection and Vigor to augment your maximum amount, as well, if you feel your shield falls down too fast you can use Fast Deflection to recharge faster. 

For powers, until you get into min/maxing I'd say a power and range focused build should suffice providing heavy attacks over long distances, but you'll have to be careful as Grineers have a natural resistance to electricity.

If you though want to be more effective against all factions, a range and duration build is more appropriate as it will stretch out and reinforce the duration of your Overload, providing great Crowd control and some nice damages with crowds. 

As for weapons. 

Boltor is a good start up as it has some impressive damage output among the early primaries, but that is not the sole weapon easy to access with good payout in damage. For a secondary I recommend you give a look at the Lex with its immense firepower for a pistol you can take this weapon directly from the marker just by paying in Credits and make it later into a double pistol version of it. 

I won't give any recommendations for melee as it is here more a question of taste rather than effectiveness that should dictate those choice (in my opinion) 

I didn't think to ignore health for shields, could be a try.

Strangely my best weapon is the melee one, I love my maxed Fragor with +90% crit damage so much :D

Without It I couldn't beat junctions spectres :D

2 minutes ago, ultragen said:

Try also Hek, good shotgun and can carry you pretty well. My advice would be to build Frost, do some excavations, get the relics and then do fissures. Get the prime parts from the fissures (try to get Volt prime while he is still around too), craft some prime gear and sell anything you do not need for platinum to other players. This way, you will get the platinum needed for catalysts, reactors and slots. Get also Rhino that is a HUGE help for nightmare missions. Do some of them and try selling the mods you get as reward (keep one for yourself of course).

Before adding a reactor to Volt, try farming for an Aura mod (alerts usually have them as rewards). The Aura mod will give you some extra mod capacity (5-18) depending on the polarity, which will add some breathing space on your configuration...

Start some projects in your Dojo and get for you and your clan mates, access to some really good weapons, gear and warframes

Try not to spend too much to early, make wise decisions and invest on things that will be used more. Warframe needs time to be learned and enjoyed, give it some time and it will reward you.

Hope I helped :)

Speaking of platinum..

I have 150 platinum from start (thanks to PSplus).

I was thinking to spend It this way, atm :

40 plat (for 2 warframe slots)

48 plat (for 4 weapon slots).

Edited by (PS4)Kyerrid

49 minutes ago, Sphirical said:

Start doing Jackal on Venus a few times and start building Rhino. He will help you through the early stages of the game. For more damage start building the normal Boltor, which will also help you early game.

I have to second this. This will really introduce you to how Warframe does rng, it will give you a naturally tankier frame (volt's great, but made out of paper), and it's a fun boss fight.

Edited by (PS4)B0XMAN517
Don't word so good.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)B0XMAN517 said:

I have to second this. This will really introduce you to how Warframe does rng, it will give you a naturally tankier frame (volt's great, but made out of paper), and it's a fun boss fight.

I could try It, even only to increase in mastery rank and see how a tank is :)

2 minutes ago, ultragen said:

Keep in mind that 4 weapon slot purchases will actually yield 8 weapon slots (2 for 12 platinum)

Oh nice!

So how do you suggest to spend my initial platinum?

At least for things that are mandatory in your opinion.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

So how do you suggest to spend my initial platinum?

I would advise to spend 20p on an Orokin Reactor (http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Reactor) for your main Warframe. Put the reactor an that frame and you have double the mod capacity. The rest can be spent on weapons slots.

Then get youself a decent primary weapon like a Hek, a Soma or a Boltor. Whatever weapon suits you put an Orokin Catalyst on it. Keep an eye out for the "gift of the lotus" alerts after each dev stream. They give a catalyst blueprint most of the time.

In time you will probably get a Life strike to drop. that is where a lot of the survivabilkity comes from when you have a more risky play-style.

Btw, my personal advise is that if you want to rank Vitality and redirection to max (or 9/10) to focus on the Vitality. I put focus on redirection in the past and now I hardly use the mod. as Vitality is usually the choice people go for with Life strike to fill their regeneration needs.

5 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

In time you will probably get a Life strike to drop. that is where a lot of the survivabilkity comes from when you have a more risky play-style.

Btw, my personal advise is that if you want to rank Vitality and redirection to max (or 9/10) to focus on the Vitality. I put focus on redirection in the past and now I hardly use the mod. as Vitality is usually the choice people go for with Life strike to fill their regeneration needs.

We are talking about a starter, don't go throwing out lifestrikes and rank 10 mods at the tenno. He doesn't need to bother with them right now.

7 minutes ago, Sphirical said:

We are talking about a starter, don't go throwing out lifestrikes and rank 10 mods at the tenno. He doesn't need to bother with them right now.

Why i said in time -_- and not to get that mod now.

And the player self stated that that they have both a r7 vitality and a r7 redirection. simply saying that vitality yould be a better focus if you want to max either one to prevent a mistake I made.

Just now, Airwolfen said:

Why i said in time -_- and not to get that mod now.

And the player self stated that that they have both a r7 vitality and a r7 redirection. simply saying that vitality yould be a better focus if you want to max either one to prevent a mistake I made.

What I meant is that they do not need knowledge of something that is available later in the game, it would only let new players diverge from the path DE intended and start to powercreep early game.

52 minutes ago, k05h said:

I would advise to spend 20p on an Orokin Reactor (http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Reactor) for your main Warframe. Put the reactor an that frame and you have double the mod capacity. The rest can be spent on weapons slots.

Then get youself a decent primary weapon like a Hek, a Soma or a Boltor. Whatever weapon suits you put an Orokin Catalyst on it. Keep an eye out for the "gift of the lotus" alerts after each dev stream. They give a catalyst blueprint most of the time.

I would like to avoid use platinum for something that could be farmable but since I have 150 and then I can have a warframe slot and 4 weapon slot easily I could think to use platinum for reactor (for Volt or Frost) since atm I found Orokin Catalyst blueprint often in alerts but never the Reactor :(

51 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

45 minutes ago, Sphirical said:

Airwolfen's suggestion is interesting since It shows that there are many tactics and playstyle in this game but yes, I can't thing about It atm :D

Thanks to everyone, guys, excellent community!

Edited by (PS4)Kyerrid

Hi there !

Pretty much new in game as you - i get in some point at the same situation as you !  Until i just "follow" the quests in the Codex -  work for quest until the second dream - wich is in my opinion a awsome quest chain on the story lore.

Each boss in mostly every planet drop Frame part (Frost Drop from Lieutenant Lech Kril assassination (War, Mars)

Loki  Component blueprints drop from Hyena Pack (Psamathe, Neptune).

Rhino  Component blueprints drop from Jackal (Fossa, Venus).

Mirage  Component blueprints are awarded at the end of each mission for the Hidden Messages quest. 

etc ...

Every planet lead to the next one - and each one offer different component for futur crafting.   Some resources are more difficult to get than other and Orokin catalyst and reactor blue print are not unlimited use.

Keep progressing throw quests / mission and alert. You will discover more and more. Build every frame / weapon to lvl up your MR - and sell them to free inventory space !

The most important :  have fun !   :)

- Roddrigg :lotus:

23 hours ago, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

I didn't think to ignore health for shields, could be a try.

Strangely my best weapon is the melee one, I love my maxed Fragor with +90% crit damage so much :D

Without It I couldn't beat junctions spectres :D

Then if you like Fragor... The mighty Jat Kitag will be one weapon you'll like as well, though you'll need a clan to get its bp... Alternatively you will be able to go hunting for the Fragor Prime once you reach the relics, but be careful these variations can be pretty hard to follow the first times. And Primed equipments tend to be long to acquire so I would not tell you to rush at it. 

Just follow the pace that fits you get weapons that feel pleasant to you, do the quests and once you have done the War Within, you will be up to prepare yourself for the next quest coming.