Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Please Get Realistic Ship Rooms?

Queen_Crimson

3 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Can I have a screenshot? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

He means, for example, in grineer galleon ships with windows to space, you may see people's names floating out there if the level happened to take turns like that. For some reason you don't see "the outside" of tiles, and they may generate in such a way that a window to deep space actually points to a place where the level spawned other room tiles.

Also, kek'd at >immersion >warframe

5 minutes ago, ArchPhaeton said:

He means, for example, in grineer galleon ships with windows to space, you may see people's names floating out there if the level happened to take turns like that. For some reason you don't see "the outside" of tiles, and they may generate in such a way that a window to deep space actually points to a place where the level spawned other room tiles.

Also, kek'd at >immersion >warframe

Are there screenshots of this? I've never seen it happen.

7 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Are there screenshots of this? I've never seen it happen.

You know that one room on the Corpus Ship tileset with the long line of windows, a door in either end, a door in the middle away from the windows and a small broom closet? Sit there while in a team and look out the windows. More often than not you'll see player names out in space because one or both of the doors near the windows will open into big wide rooms that SHOULD be visible through the window.

9 minutes ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:

You know that one room on the Corpus Ship tileset with the long line of windows, a door in either end, a door in the middle away from the windows and a small broom closet? Sit there while in a team and look out the windows. More often than not you'll see player names out in space because one or both of the doors near the windows will open into big wide rooms that SHOULD be visible through the window.

Ya I have noticed that too. I knew it is of technical aspect but if putting something out there to justify with more taxing on performance, then I rather it stays as it is. It is not a major issue. Just some viewing discomfort for some. 

It comes with the level generator. This is going to be a tough design rework because you will end up with tons of levels looking exactly the same and that will set DE back to repetitiveness a lot unless they can come up with a huge variety of ships. I do understand what his point is. Sometimes I do wonder how these ships are designed. The only thing I can think of is to create massive ships with multiple points of entry.

I would love for the ships/galleons to make some sort of structural sense. The random level generator needs to be updated for many tilesets... or even replaced entirely.

Really, my hope was that warframe would eventually grow out of it's "corridor shooter" shell, and while some tilesets seemed like good steps in that direction, the linear levels and samey feeling is still there...

I'm not saying warfame should be an open-world game, but warframe should be an open world game  but the worlds could certainly be more open. More vertically interesting as well. Back to what op mentioned, the ships are where the whole thing really shows its age. The tiles are all the same, even if the order gets switched around. You quickly realize you're  not progressing through an enemy ship/space station, just running around a set of meandering corridors.

8 hours ago, Sigmas71 said:

I would love for the ships/galleons to make some sort of structural sense. The random level generator needs to be updated for many tilesets... or even replaced entirely.

Really, my hope was that warframe would eventually grow out of it's "corridor shooter" shell, and while some tilesets seemed like good steps in that direction, the linear levels and samey feeling is still there...

I'm not saying warfame should be an open-world game, but warframe should be an open world game  but the worlds could certainly be more open. More vertically interesting as well. Back to what op mentioned, the ships are where the whole thing really shows its age. The tiles are all the same, even if the order gets switched around. You quickly realize you're  not progressing through an enemy ship/space station, just running around a set of meandering corridors.

A good tileset generator rework could work by making "complex rooms", similar to Spy Vaults, but bigger, giving the sense they are different rooms. These could have 2 or 3 "passages" to the next CR, with one being out of AI pathing for Stealth runs. Then maps would build themselves as a jigsaw puzzle of complex rooms.

Something simpler could also be adding defense/interception tilesets to other missions' generation, so once in a while you get to play in a massive room, hell, that could be the base of the "complex room" I already mentioned.

10 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

A good tileset generator rework could work by making "complex rooms", similar to Spy Vaults, but bigger, giving the sense they are different rooms. These could have 2 or 3 "passages" to the next CR, with one being out of AI pathing for Stealth runs. Then maps would build themselves as a jigsaw puzzle of complex rooms.

Right, ideally those rooms would generate into a lattice or network. In the case of ships, they could even make sure to spawn the right type of tiles in the right locations. For example, docking bays on the sides, living quarters in the bottom decks, command hub at the front, with a generator room in the center. The configuration and scale would change for different ship classes and factions. I think this could help the missions become more interesting and believable. 

10 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

Something simpler could also be adding defense/interception tilesets to other missions' generation, so once in a while you get to play in a massive room, hell, that could be the base of the "complex room" I already mentioned.

This would make for a good first step. The large rooms could then act as a hub for different branching paths, hopefully tied to side missions or secondary objectives, like a sabotage room on steroids. This could work well for the outdoor levels, while we wait for open forests and large outdoor environments :)