Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I am new to the game and want a sniper rifle

Goowie

Question

Me and my buddies are just starting this game on PC and have finished Tors mission and are heading to Venus. We have decided I am gonna be the sniper and wanna get one to start off, which is the easiest to obtain but is still decent?

8 answers to this question

The easiest sniper you can get very early is Vulkar. Though you'll need plastids to build it. 

If you want Vectis, which imo is one of the best snipers, you'll have to reach mastery rank 3. But it's totally worth it. 

Edited by Stoner74

I don't think I'd recommend getting a sniper rifle for starting out the game given the size of most rooms and the pace of enemies; alternatively the Latron is a highly accurate semi-auto rifle that has increased zoom compared to most weapons without restricting your view to a scope.

If you really want a sniper rifle though, then Vectis may be a good option for you.

Might also want to take a look at Lex Prime, crit monster (yay headshots) with lotsa single-shot damage,
without the Sniper drawbacks of reduced accuracy when firing from the hip and possibly disorienting zoom.

Bows (yay Dread / Paris Prime / Rakta Cernos) are also very strong Sniper-y weapons.

Though as was mentioned, in a horde shooter like Warframe, true Sniper weapons just don't work all that well,
if you want weapons where each shot has a big impact, there's stuff like, say, Tonkor / Penta (Tether Grenades FTW),
landing long-range "snipes" with the latter has never stopped feeling good man :D

A bit of a late answer, but if you are set on getting a sniper and don't want to feel bad about it later (that would be getting the regular Vulkar first), get the Rubico instead. There is a catch here though: you need to get used to the long reload, assuming you don't want to use a mod to shorten it. While the Vectis Prime is faster in that area, the Rubico has the biggest damage output potential, especially when you use the full scope mode. The difference is really down to your playstyle: Vectis Prime is a pump-action sniper, Rubico has a 5 clip magazine with a longer reload. Vulkar Wraith is an option, but it's way harder to get.

Now here's a bit of advice as a fellow sniper user and a biased Rubico user since it is my favorite and most used weapon:

1) If possible, try to have with you a secondary with high fire rate or shotgun capabilities. While snipers destroy anything from range, stuck in tight areas or having an empty mag can make it hard for you (unless you can quickscope). Having one of those two types as your secondary means that when surrounded or reloading you can switch to that, clear your area and switch back while repositioning.

2) Pay attention to the difference in height difference. Enemies in this game move fast, so if you choose to shoot from a ground way higher than them chances are you'll miss more rather than when firing from that same height or medium difference.

3) If you go with Rubico, you can actually choose to not improve the reload speed. Just make sure you stay on the move while you reload and try to get used to the timing, it's not hard to get used to it, personally I never wasted a mod slot for it. Also, some Warframes don't care about it, for example Volt can reload faster than anyone and Nyx can use her 2nd ability without interrupting the reload thus still dealing damage.

4) Experiment for your playstyle. Later on in the game you will probably get a catalyst and formas for your sniper of choice. Before that you've probably gone the usual build path of serration and multishot. At that point forget any talk about optimal builds and choose what you prefer. By that I mean do not disregard mods such as Harkonar Scope or anything that provides Punch Through, they are great options IF they fit your playstyle.

5) Similar to the 1st but worth mentioning, use secondaries and melees based on enemy factions to support the weaknesses of your sniper. Grineer are simple to prepare against, the others not so. Until they implement the changes in store for Corpus Nullifiers having weak points, they can make your sniper feel useless. And infested can swarm you while running at high speeds, making hitting them and clearing without punch through harder (mind here, snipers are the best weapons vs Infested cause they kill Ancients before they even get close, just have a secondary/melee to deal with the faster variants that come too close for comfort).

Anyway, make your choice and enjoy your stay in this wonderful game :D

Edited by Serdinor_Darkrose